Observations from the NYR game

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2005, 10:54 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Observations from the NYR game

I was expecting something else but Boogaard is not a bit goonish and skates *very* well for a big guy.

I have never heard of Brent Burns before but he looks pretty damn good for a 20 year old defensemen; skates and handles the puck well. I was surprised to find out he was a defenseman b/c the times I saw him he wasnt doing much defending.(Not to say that he wasnt) Now as I read one of the other threads apparently theres some controversy here

Something else I noticed: Roloson had his stick in the air from 1:05 to about :44 remaining in the 3rd looking to be pulled, but no one was looking back from the bench. I guess they already had a plan?

FWIW, the Wild are a very respectable team. Lots of effort, hard hits, 2 excellent goaltenders, and some pretty nifty looong passes that created some really nice scoring chances.

Old
12-06-2005, 01:48 PM
The Big E

According the Mpls StarTribune, Lemaire was ignoring Roloson because the Wild were incapable of getting the puck into the zone and doing a proper forecheck. Apparently, they hadn't been able to do it much during the entire game.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1330/5765221.html

Excerpt from the Strib:

With his stick in the air, Dwayne Roloson stood halfway between his net and the Wild bench in the last minute of the third period Monday night frantically trying to get coach Jacques Lemaire's attention.

Lemaire was aware the Wild goalie was awaiting the signal to come to the bench.

Lemaire was just ignoring him.

Once Roloson finally got the sign and hopped the wall, one final turnover resulted in Martin Straka's empty-net goal to ice a 3-1 Rangers victory at Madison Square Garden as the Wild was handed its fifth consecutive road loss.

"Next time it's going to be the last 10 seconds so we don't get a goal against," Lemaire snapped afterward.

The theory being?

"The theory," Lemaire said, "is one minute I didn't want him out. I didn't say nothing. I said, 'Thirty seconds.' And they still scored. So next time it will be 15 seconds. And if they score again, next time it will be five seconds. And then after that, we'll keep it in the net."

Confused?

Instead of giving the Wild a better chance to tie the score with an extra attacker, Lemaire erupted and penalized his team for not playing well.

For the second time in three games, the Wild was a dysfunctional train wreck.

Breakouts were a disaster. Careless penalties were its strength. Successive, cleanly-made passes were by accident. Sustained offensive rushes were almost nonexistent. Forechecks, if there weren't three forwards on the same side of the ice, well, Hallelujah!

So, the way Lemaire figured, "If I get [Roloson] out before [30 seconds], it'll be in the net earlier."

Reminded he has pulled goalies with a minute or more before, Lemaire countered, "Yeah, when we're playing. When we can make two passes. When we can forecheck. When we can read what's going on.

"But when we get the puck in their end and they come out as fast as we get in, that's not a good sign to pull the goalie."

Old
12-07-2005, 03:16 AM
Yus

Quote:
Pascal Dupuis' goal with 27 seconds left in the second period tied a game the Wild had no business being in.
I don't really agree with that. Only the third period was really terrible. The Wild had plenty of chances the first two periods, they just couldn't get the puck in the net.

Old
12-07-2005, 10:14 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

those prucha goals were flukish...it was closer than the score indicates, but this team needs some fukking offense

Old
12-07-2005, 01:05 PM
heywood*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev
I was expecting something else but Boogaard is not a bit goonish and skates *very* well for a big guy.

I have never heard of Brent Burns before but he looks pretty damn good for a 20 year old defensemen; skates and handles the puck well. I was surprised to find out he was a defenseman b/c the times I saw him he wasnt doing much defending.(Not to say that he wasnt) Now as I read one of the other threads apparently theres some controversy here

Something else I noticed: Roloson had his stick in the air from 1:05 to about :44 remaining in the 3rd looking to be pulled, but no one was looking back from the bench. I guess they already had a plan?

FWIW, the Wild are a very respectable team. Lots of effort, hard hits, 2 excellent goaltenders, and some pretty nifty looong passes that created some really nice scoring chances.
i agree with all of this, fwiw.

the wild looked very dangerous with their trap- they had almost countless shorthanded socoring chances. the rangers have terrible D, of course, but still, ...

Old
12-10-2005, 03:34 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
those prucha goals were flukish...it was closer than the score indicates, but this team needs some fukking offense
How were they flukish? Hard work to get to the net and hit the rebound in that the Minn. defense couldnt clear?

Closed Thread