HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

New Lines (The Darryl Sutter Edition)

Old
12-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Personally, I think Sutter should flip Brown and Williams.
Brown has been much better than Williams. Not to mention that the first line would be weaker with puck battles, net presence, and hitting.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:24 PM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Brown is also the only guy so far, willing to go to the net consistently. Net presence has been awful for the Kings in this putrid offensive stretch. NHL goalies today are going to stop shots they see 90% of the time (even backups).

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
The more I think about it...you can really see the formula here...and it's one that worked in Calgary.

on the top two lines you have a skill guy, a grit player, and speed.

Lewis, Richie (speed)
Rick, Brownie (Grit and skill)
Kopi, Gagne (skill)

when you look at the top line Calgary had for a couple seasons under Sutter...

Gelinas - Conroy - Iginla

Speed - Skill - Skill/Size/Grit
Sutter knew how to get the most out of every player. Just look at this lineup and I'd like anyone to tell me how they were a goal away from winning the Cup, and they beat some very good teams on their way to the Finals.

Like you said the top line had Gelinas and Iginla centered by Conroy. After that top line, look at all the talent oozing in their lineup...

Nieminen-Nilson-Donovan
Simon-Yelle-Clark
Saprykin-Kobasew-Oliwa

Regehr-Warrener
Leopold-Montador
Ference-Commodore

Considering what he did with that team, I'm eager to see what he can do with the Kings.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Just because Richardson and Lewis didn't work with Murray doesn't mean they won't work with Sutter. If their job is to get into the zone and fore-check the **** out of the other team and get the pucks to Richards and Kopitar, than I'm happy. Richards and Kopitar can find the other winger and defensemen for quality shots, or take shots themselves. I just want to see players setup below the circles more often.

In one practice Sutter has come up with lines that show a solid thought process. Murray just seemed to throw people together. I'm excited to see how these lines work with a new message from the head coach.

I'm still baffled about Kompon keeping his job another day. Has an assistant coach ever stayed with the same team with three different head coaches?

Go Kings!

[edit]Nice to see he has Gagne with Richards too. How many games did it take for Murray to put them together?

Last edited by Sydor25: 12-21-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Defgarden

I can't say I'm all that excited about these lines, but I'm not a head coach, and I'm all things considered, I'm more than willing to give Sutter a chance with this. I just hope 40 games down the line he's done experimenting.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Nose of Sutter

Love the spreading of players. Exited to see the top-6 now especially when Richards comes back.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:54 PM
SLang

The misguided utilization (or should I say under-utilization) of Lewis and Richardson is one of the big things that made me jump off the TM bandwagon.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:56 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
I can't say I'm all that excited about these lines, but I'm not a head coach, and I'm all things considered, I'm more than willing to give Sutter a chance with this. I just hope 40 games down the line he's done experimenting.
I'm with you. New coach, new attitude, new everything (just have to block Kompon out). This isn't set in stone, the coach wants to see what works and what doesn't and the guys he doesn't like will either sit or he'll go to Dean and tell them he wants them shipped out. Most of us wanted change, we got it.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
This is your guess or you have read that somewhere? It would be great if the coaching staff (Kompon) is evaluated as well, not only players.
"Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider reporter earlier this week that Stevens will be kept on as an assistant at least through the end of the season, and that Sutter has been in touch with management to get scouting reports on the Kings' personnel."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=607448

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

As others have said, I love the way the talent is spread on these lines with skill, speed and size spread throughout all 3 lines. Lewis and Richie are not on the top lines to make great plays and score goals, but to use their speed to forecheck and back the D off. If a D has to respect Richie/Lewis speed it will leave lots of room for Kopi and Richards t0 make their plays. Hopefully this will spark the offense.

In Sutter we trust?

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Keeping Stevens around for the rest of the season is the right call. Even when Sutter makes changes and introduces a different mindset, Stevens brings a knowledge of the players that is essential for the new coach.

I don't see any reason to get rid of Ranford either.

Kompon, no comment. IMO Sutter needs to have the opportunity to bring in an assistant whom he favors.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:39 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

I like these lines

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:40 PM
JR28

As much as we were hoping Kompon would be let go, I figured that for a while Sutter would keep the coaches in place, as he can rely on them since they basically been with these guys for the last 3 years. These coaches know the team and can help Sutter, whom doesn't really know them. One question I have is what happens if the PP takes off with Sutter as coach, would everybody say that Kompon is doing a good job or will most say it is Sutter as the reason? Or of course it could be the fact that Mike Richards is back.

JR28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
"Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider reporter earlier this week that Stevens will be kept on as an assistant at least through the end of the season, and that Sutter has been in touch with management to get scouting reports on the Kings' personnel."

Ah, that one... well my question is mostly about the second part of your statement, that other coaches will be evaluated. The NHL quotes Hammond incorrectly:

Quote:
The only remaining question is the make-up of the rest of the coaching staff, although John Stevens is expected to stay aboard for at least the rest of this season. Sutter has already been in communication with members of team management, to get scouting reports on the current Kings players.
So it's players, not personnel, which would include also coaches. I doubt any coaches will leave this season.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:14 PM
funky

If you want to be a true contender you need goaltending (check), defense (check), and offence from all lines (X).

Saying that this is the best lineup I have seen from the Kings in a long while. I am not a fan of Lewis and Richardson being on the top lines but looking at the layout if D.L can replace even one of them with a top winger, this team looks like a contender with depth

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

When Lewis and Richardson were used in an offensive role in the playoffs, allowed to get away from the "dot-to-board" game and they produced.

Richardson- 6 games, 2 goals and 5 points. He struggled more with being the defensive center, playing on the wing he won't have the same defensive responsibilities.

Lewis - 6 games, 1 goal and 4 points. He struggled with face-offs, but Richards will take them.

Yes, it is a small sample size, but Sutter gets more from his players than Murray. Sutter will also hold his players more accountable, which is what most of us want. I don’t expect Richardson and Lewis to become 20 goal scorers, but they should help create space for Kopitar, Richards, Gagne and Brown. They are the ones that should be getting 20-30 goals.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:31 PM
markisonfire

These are pretty much the lines I posted yesterday, I think. Excited to see what Lewis can do.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Also, someone has to be assigned to Manchester to activate Richards. It's too late for waivers. I expect the Kings to announce that Loktionov (or Voynov) is assigned to Manchester after tomorrow's practice. Gives him another day to practice with Sutter.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Voynov is in the lineup so it looks like Loktionov will be the odd man out.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:58 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post

See this is what confused me and I double checked and was right... That paragraph originally appeared on Hammond's blog here saying players, then was changed to personnel for the Kings site...

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/12/17...deal-in-place/

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:02 PM
koncepts

Send a message via Yahoo to koncepts
great minds think alike Mr. Sutter.

i have the exact same lines on my NHL12 Team and it works really well.

koncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Voynov is in the lineup so it looks like Loktionov will be the odd man out.
He probably should be sent back down. I had high hopes for him, but he didn't produce enough to warrant staying up.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

So is Bernier in net tomorrow and Quick against the Sharks?

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncepts View Post
great minds think alike Mr. Sutter.

i have the exact same lines on my NHL12 Team and it works really well.
this blows my mind, you didnt trade Penner immediately? i shifted him, Bernier and a 1st for Kovalchuk, works much better

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Ah, that one... well my question is mostly about the second part of your statement, that other coaches will be evaluated. The NHL quotes Hammond incorrectly:

So it's players, not personnel, which would include also coaches. I doubt any coaches will leave this season.
Gotcha. I would assume he's evaluating the coaching staff at the moment as well but you're right, there's a possibility they all stick around.

For what it's worth, that Kompon has survived two coaching changes means he must be saying something right, but the results really haven't been there.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote