HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
I hate to spoil this for everyone but after watching Calvin De Haan for so many games now, he's just plain terrible. He hasn't adjusted to the speed and skill of the "bigger, faster player" yet. Not saying he's a bust or that he doesn't have talent cuz he does.

What I'm saying is thus far he does not look like a first round pick. The bad positioning, to the horrible giveaways. He needs at least another (maybe 2 more) years in the AHL to see what we really have there.

IMO Ness and Donovan are leagues ahead of this guy.
It is really a shame to hear this, especially as someone who has heavily contested his having been picked, or at least the moves made to pick him. After three years of CHL hockey in which his stats took a decline from his draft year (no easy task for an 'offensive' defenseman at that level), he should have been able to step right into an effective, above-average scoring role at the AHL level. Sure, he's not doing terribly and has of course had his myriad of shoulder problems slowing him down, but I think even if he ends up simply being a project who pays off, that wasn't what the Isles could afford to take at 12 after dishing off five picks.

Some argue that those later picks aren't all that important if you get the guy you want, but I'd contend that it's just our scouting staff who is more successful in later rounds than earlier rounds.

Skillset or not, I always felt someone (uhhhhhh, like Snowkowski) got a weeeee bit too infatuated while scouting for that 28th pick and simply lost their senses on draft night. I've never known how anyone could have felt this kid was so much better than Kulikov or any two of the plethora of promising Dmen who were available at 28 and 35 (or 37 or whatever), much less worth five picks.

Stefan Elliot, for example, is already looking like he could be the better player and he went at what, 49?

Hooo hum, just gotta hope for the best!

If he's got those special goods we've been led to believe he has, they'll show up at some point this season. It's still early!

Old
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
LAIslanderFan

I notice quite a few promising things on this thread, written about the Soundtigers. It makes the team appear to be one of the better teams in the league. They're mediocre at best. I don't get to actually see the games, what's the story there?

Old
12-05-2011, 12:38 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I notice quite a few promising things on this thread, written about the Soundtigers. It makes the team appear to be one of the better teams in the league. They're mediocre at best. I don't get to actually see the games, what's the story there?
they were the last team in the league last year..the should..should make the playoffs this season..they are a team of children and first year players for the most part...so they have their ups and downs...but considering where they were last season they are a fun watch..also and this isn't you but can we stop writing off prospects at 20 people

Old
12-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Thought I'd share this

Old
12-05-2011, 08:19 PM
scott99

Quote:
Thought I'd share this

Wow, the Recker finally beat someone, great fight though and I give props to Gallant, much smaller but landed a bunch of bombs too.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Wow nice scrap I actually got tired from watching that they were throwing bombs for a while.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:30 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Amac was a 6th round pick as a favor to Ted Nolan and CDH was a 1st round pick traded up for, if that is who u r comparing....
Not exactly fair. Just because someone got drafted in the 1st round does not mean he develops faster. Players get drafted for what they can one day become, not for the players they are when drafted or while developing.

Fact is, the AHL is a tough league. A lot of the players there can play a bottom 6 role on NHL teams. It's a professional league. A 20 year old dman should be given more than 20 games to prove what he can be. What the previous poster was pointing out was that even though AMac was not good in his first AHL season, it did not mean much in terms of the type of dman he was going to become. If AMac, a 6th rounder was able to develop into a top 4 dman, wouldn't a 1st rounder have an even higher upside once he figures out a professional league?

Old
12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Wow, the Recker finally beat someone, great fight though and I give props to Gallant, much smaller but landed a bunch of bombs too.
A draw at best.

Soundtigers struggling with their best players up on the Island. Hopefully someone recognizes the importance of adding a player or two that can help.

Old
12-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Soundtigers struggling with their best players up on the Island. Hopefully someone recognizes the importance of adding a player or two that can help.
Boy, they've been brutal the past few games.

2-0 and 5-0 losses.

Disappointing to see that guys like Rakhshani, McNeely and Colliton just aren't able to generate offense on a nightly basis. Dunno where they'd be offensively if they hadn't brought in Howes.

However, it's obvious that Ullstrom and then to a greater degree, Wallace, were their offensive motors. They're doing NOTHING without them.

I can only see the highlights, but boy am I disappointed with Nilsson. He looked soooooo dominant in Sweden last season. I thought this kid was gonna come in here, need 10 games to get used to the smaller ice, then shutout opponents with wreckless, dominant abandon. Some of the stuff he's been letting in lately earns little more than disappointed headshakes... I'm truly disappointed.

If folks say that the D has a lot to do with that, then it'll be even MORE disappointing, since no less than Wishart, Ness, Donovan and de Haan are supposed to be legitimate NHL prospects who are getting their behinds handed to them down on the farm.

Just didn't expect this... Already one of the AHL's worst teams.

Old
12-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

How's Rhett The Rakh looked so far?

Old
12-21-2011, 06:15 PM
TeamKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

If folks say that the D has a lot to do with that, then it'll be even MORE disappointing, since no less than Wishart, Ness, Donovan and de Haan are supposed to be legitimate NHL prospects who are getting their behinds handed to them down on the farm.

To be fair, one of them is a retred from another team and hasnt ever looked like a surfire prospect since he was drafted (wishart) and the other three are, with an exception of a few games last year for donovan and ness, just a third of their way through their first season. Remember that Hamonic never looked particularly good in the AHL until the last 10 games or so before his callup....

Donovan is 3-9-12 -8
Wishart 1-8-9 -5
DeHaan is 2-6-8 -3
Ness is 2-8-10 -6

Now i'll admit, those numbers dont look pretty. but you have to think they'll get better, and if this is the WORST they do, which you have to think it will be, then thats not so bad.

Donovan is putting up decent points, DeHaan is actually pretty reliable at a -3, and ness is somewhere in the middle.

so looking through the lens of "this is the worst its going to be" ....maybe its not so bad?

Old
12-21-2011, 10:46 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Some players play better in the NHL than the AHL, so solely judging by AHL is limited and not always true. For example, and yes the sampling was quite small, but de Haan played better in his one NHL game than he has in the AHL. The context was different, he was sheltered by 3rd-pairing minutes and adrenaline, but I am not worried about de Haan.

Old
12-26-2011, 02:13 PM
crashthenet

Losers of 9 of 10 going into today?

Old
12-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I'll prolly be seeing them Wednesday or Friday in Norfolk.

Should be interesting...

Old
12-31-2011, 01:18 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

The Soundtigers in Norfolk

So, I saw the two games this week in Norfolk, both one goal losses. To be fair, the Tigers created a lot of good chances and were snakebitten throughout both games, this despite the fact that four forwards who are on PTOs filled out the line-up. There was no Colliton or Dibenedetto or Gillies. Obviously no Ullstrom, Haley or Wallace.

The GOOD:
- Poulin was incredibly strong in Wednesday's game and was decent at times again tonight. Not enough to steal a victory though.
- de Haan looked REAL good. Easily the team's best Dman right now. Lots of good decisions and good, solid passes. His body positioning was great and he even through a few hits.
- Donovan did some good things, but is lacking consistency and was guilty of a few unnecessary turnovers.
- Gallant was in a fight tonight and won cleanly, against Cote.
- PTOer Riley fought Czech Radko Gudas and CLOBBERED him. Hands down victory.
- Rakhshani had some real nice plays and showed as much or more skill than anyone on the ice.
- Cizikas works. He had a few nice plays but really needs to work on finding an effective one-timer.
- Reese is a leader and looks 'above-average' out there.
- This guy Howes has some skill. Good skater and can be a tricky devil.

The BAD:
- The lack of offensive punch is glaring.
- Marcinko looks like an ECHLer out there.
- Romano and Backman work, but it's highly understandable that they hardly score (granted, Romano had a goal tonight on a sweet pass from Ness)
- Klementyev was not dressed tonight after doing a few nice things Wednesday, including an assist.
- Both Donovan and Ness have their moments where they struggle are aren't particularly solid.
- Sadly, Wishart just isn't turning out very well. If it weren't for his tall, lanky figure and strange skating style, I wouldn't have noticed him except for the times where he lost footraces.
- McNeeley didn't do anything the two games. He's not bad,per se, but he just doesn't do anything. Sure wish we had that Canisius kid Conacher instead!

The UGLY:
- Howes got speared and left the game Wednesday. Was back tonight though.
- Rakhshani took a head 'bump' in the third tonight and didn't return. Ugggggg.
- ALERT - Marcinko got hit with a skateblade in the neck, was bleeding on the ice and was rushed to the hospital. Latest word before the team took off: he was in the middle of surgery.

In general, both games were winnable and the team did some real good things. I like their PP set-up and they make some good and opportune passes. de Haan is coming along nicely. Easily our best player tonight. Very complete game from him. Still, the team just doesn't have the depth to compensate for no Dibo, Colliton, Ullstrom and Wallace.

Very happy I got to see them in person.

Old
12-31-2011, 12:37 PM
crashthenet

Marcinko update:

http://www.soundtigers.com/ViewArtic...CLID=205354112

Old
12-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Good to hear.

01-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

BPort with the 4-0 victory over Worcester today. Rakhshani with 4 points in the last two games.

Ness with two assists tonight.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:24 AM
SDIsles34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
So, I saw the two games this week in Norfolk, both one goal losses. To be fair, the Tigers created a lot of good chances and were snakebitten throughout both games, this despite the fact that four forwards who are on PTOs filled out the line-up. There was no Colliton or Dibenedetto or Gillies. Obviously no Ullstrom, Haley or Wallace.

The GOOD:
- Poulin was incredibly strong in Wednesday's game and was decent at times again tonight. Not enough to steal a victory though.
- de Haan looked REAL good. Easily the team's best Dman right now. Lots of good decisions and good, solid passes. His body positioning was great and he even through a few hits.
- Donovan did some good things, but is lacking consistency and was guilty of a few unnecessary turnovers.
- Gallant was in a fight tonight and won cleanly, against Cote.
- PTOer Riley fought Czech Radko Gudas and CLOBBERED him. Hands down victory.
- Rakhshani had some real nice plays and showed as much or more skill than anyone on the ice.
- Cizikas works. He had a few nice plays but really needs to work on finding an effective one-timer.
- Reese is a leader and looks 'above-average' out there.
- This guy Howes has some skill. Good skater and can be a tricky devil.

The BAD:
- The lack of offensive punch is glaring.
- Marcinko looks like an ECHLer out there.
- Romano and Backman work, but it's highly understandable that they hardly score (granted, Romano had a goal tonight on a sweet pass from Ness)
- Klementyev was not dressed tonight after doing a few nice things Wednesday, including an assist.
- Both Donovan and Ness have their moments where they struggle are aren't particularly solid.
- Sadly, Wishart just isn't turning out very well. If it weren't for his tall, lanky figure and strange skating style, I wouldn't have noticed him except for the times where he lost footraces.
- McNeeley didn't do anything the two games. He's not bad,per se, but he just doesn't do anything. Sure wish we had that Canisius kid Conacher instead!

The UGLY:
- Howes got speared and left the game Wednesday. Was back tonight though.
- Rakhshani took a head 'bump' in the third tonight and didn't return. Ugggggg.
- ALERT - Marcinko got hit with a skateblade in the neck, was bleeding on the ice and was rushed to the hospital. Latest word before the team took off: he was in the middle of surgery.

In general, both games were winnable and the team did some real good things. I like their PP set-up and they make some good and opportune passes. de Haan is coming along nicely. Easily our best player tonight. Very complete game from him. Still, the team just doesn't have the depth to compensate for no Dibo, Colliton, Ullstrom and Wallace.

Very happy I got to see them in person.
Thanks for the great update! Great to hear that Calvin is playing well. It will be interesting to see how he finishes the season, maybe he will get a late season look.

I also think Cizikas is a guy who could be ready sooner than other rookies at the bridge. I believe he could be effective right now with the Isles playing in Tim Wallace's role but still good to have him pay his dues in the AHL first. His work ethic gives him a good shot to be a consistent NHL player in the near future.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:39 AM
drive45

CdH= AHL all-star

http://islanders.nhl.com/index.html

Old
01-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Surprised no-one has mentioned this...

Poulin now has back-to-back 4-0 shutouts!

Old
01-05-2012, 07:26 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive45 View Post
ironic because if you read this board he will never ammount to anything

Old
01-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
ironic because if you read this board he will never ammount to anything
Whats your point, Mark Wotton, Dustin Kohn and Mark Katic made the ASG the last few years too.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Whats your point, Mark Wotton, Dustin Kohn and Mark Katic made the ASG the last few years too.
To be fair, Katic started coming into his own before the injury.

Old
01-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
To be fair, Katic started coming into his own before the injury.
And Wotton got invited his last year in the AHL, kind of a life-time achievement type deal.

Closed Thread