HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Meszaros scores his first!

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2005, 07:10 AM
SIM_C

vCash: 500
Meszaros scores his first!

What do Sens fans think of this kid? Who would you compare him to?

Old
12-10-2005, 08:19 AM
Pothier

I think Meszaros is a great player. He isn't the flashy type of player, but he gets the job done and you can rarely catch him out of position. I'm not really sure who I'd compare him to, but I can tell you that his future looks very good.

Congrats on your first goal Mesz! Right where your North American career started!

Old
12-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Puck
Ninja

When the Sens drafted Meszaros, Schremp was still available and I decided to keep that to memory for later. At the time, I wasn't sure which would have been the better pick. At this point, I think I will drop that memory. I don't care how Schremp turns out or how good he might become, I'm quite happy with Meszaros. Meszaros is now a Senator and Schremp isn't and that's all that matters now.

Old
12-10-2005, 09:06 AM
HfxMoose

Congrats Mesz! The first of many!!

Old
12-10-2005, 10:20 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

I think Meszaros will develop into a top 2 defenseman, and I suspect when we lose either Redden or Chara next year he could play in the top pairing next season. Meszaros is awesome for a 20 year old rookie and will only progress offensively.

Old
12-10-2005, 10:24 AM
TexSen

I don't know quite who to compare him to really. He's one of those solid guys that doesn't make mistakes very often, has a very calm way of playing his game, doesn't get rattled easily and rarely even gets noticed on the ice.

Last night I noticed him for two incidents.

1) A horrible giveaway in the D zone for a Canucks scoring chance
2) His 1st NHL goal.

Having said that, the guy is a league leading + 25 and only gets half the ice time that guys like Chara and Redden get.

I think he'll be the kind of Dman that just goes about his job quietly yet efficiently and when you look at the box score at the end of any particular game whether it is a win or a loss for the Sens, he'll show up either an even or in the plus column.

Old
12-10-2005, 10:28 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 250
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
1) A horrible giveaway in the D zone for a Canucks scoring chance
That was a pretty bad giveaway, but both he and Volchenkov recovered and I think Volchenkov layed down and knocked the pass away. I like those two paired together.

My confidence in Meszaros continues to rise. His offense is starting to come, he just needs to learn how to hit the freakin' net with his shot. He plays perfect defense, doesn't put his stick on the other guy, just keeps them to the outside and takes the body. It's hard to believe this guy is only 20.

Old
12-10-2005, 11:04 AM
nneate

Congrats to him, hopefully many more to come.

Old
12-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
When the Sens drafted Meszaros, Schremp was still available and I decided to keep that to memory for later. At the time, I wasn't sure which would have been the better pick. At this point, I think I will drop that memory. I don't care how Schremp turns out or how good he might become, I'm quite happy with Meszaros. Meszaros is now a Senator and Schremp isn't and that's all that matters now.
Same here, I get to see Schremp and Bolland down here and I was a little disappointed that we didn't take either of them - but I didn't really get upset because this scouting dept. always makes the right pick. When you look back at it now, I have no idea how the Big Useless - Boris Valibek (sp?) - went top 10 and Mesz fell to us, thankyou hockey gods!

Old
12-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney
Same here, I get to see Schremp and Bolland down here and I was a little disappointed that we didn't take either of them - but I didn't really get upset because this scouting dept. always makes the right pick. When you look back at it now, I have no idea how the Big Useless - Boris Valibek (sp?) - went top 10 and Mesz fell to us, thankyou hockey gods!
Hold it right here man. Kitchener Rangers fans love what they are seeing of Boris Valabik this season and he's one of the best shootdown Dman in the OHL and mostly gets to face the best of the best. There's a thread over on the Thrashers boards about his progress.

Don Waddell took a flyer on Boris and the Senators have been very lucky to have Mesz. Before the draft I wanted the Thrashers to pick Thelen.

Let's compare these two in three to four years.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:14 PM
CheeseSandwich*

a modern day pele on ice.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Meszaros is looking good out there for you guys, especially for a rookie.He have a lot of potential and he has the perfect environement to develop in Ottawa.

I wanted the Habs to draft him in 2004 but we got Chipchura instead.Not bad but Meszaros seem to be much more promising.Considering that i'm an Habs fan 1st and a Sens fan 2nd , it's not that bad though .

Old
12-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Don Draper

I am going to go out and say he reminds of my of Ohlund

smooth skating, hard tape to tape passes, smart in his own zone and can jump into the play, but not at the expense of his defensive play.

He isnt there yet by any means, but he has that potential

Old
12-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher

smooth skating, hard tape to tape passes, smart in his own zone and can jump into the play, but not at the expense of his defensive play.

That's what I've been thinking for a while too. Somewhere between Redden and Ohlund, but more like Ohlund I think.

While plus/minus may not mean much, it's pretty unbelievable that the league leader (with a +25 in 26 games) is a 20 year old kid a year removed from being drafted.

Old
12-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Rico__Persson*

Outside of Hasek, he was the best Senator on the ice.

He's rock solid, doesn't he remind you of a young defensively solid Brad Marsh? Ok,ok, I'm lying...I'm too young to remember a young Brad Marsh.

All, Meszaros needs now are Brads the moulded plastic, size 17 Micron skates.

Old
12-10-2005, 05:05 PM
monster_bertuzzi

I had the pleasure of watching him here in Vancouver, such a good player for his age. Congrats.

Old
12-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher

Some of the nucks fans descriptions from last year brought this up and I must say I do see the resemblance in styles.

Closed Thread