HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Management thread 2.0 ( All GM/Coaching discussion here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2011, 09:52 PM
  #1001
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Things are bad but they're not McGuire bad.
McGuire is the best choice out there. He knows every prospect, knows every player's favorite song. He has more knowledge than any GM available today. And he's bilingual.

waffledave is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 09:53 PM
  #1002
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I want Gauthier gone and I want McGuire in.

In fact I am quite certain McGuire is our new GM. And he will be awesome. I'm willing to put money on that.
You just might be right. If not, I'm guessing Molson reaches out for Julien Brisebois. Not quite sure what his philosophy would be, but a lot of people said good things about him while he was here.
Everyone knows what McGuire's all about. I'm skeptical, but curious enough to want to see what he can bring.

jwolf is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
  #1003
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 10,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Benoit Groulx, if I had to guess. Unless he can convince a current NHL coach to jump ship.
There are two coaches I would try to prey, and both will never jump ship: Quenneville (most qualified for this market in my opinion; the day he becomes available and the day we have an opening, offer him a Brink's truck) and Mike Babcock. The rest, to me, is not worth more than Roy or Groulx.

And if he gets Groulx, he better trade off all the small vets we have, because they will never play for a rookie coach. He better start with a clean slate.

deandebean is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
  #1004
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
McGuire is the best choice out there. He knows every prospect, knows every player's favorite song. He has more knowledge than any GM available today. And he's bilingual.
he is actually trilingual

VAN-HAB is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
  #1005
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 10,140
vCash: 500
And I'm Ben Groulx's BIGGEST fan here. Some older posters know how I've been pimping the guy for the last 4-5 years!

deandebean is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 09:56 PM
  #1006
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: FIRE THERRIEN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,923
vCash: 500
I know a lot of people dont like Pierre McGuire but really could he really do any worse than what PG and Gainey have turned this team into. One thing we know is that he would bring a passion for the game and i do believe he would change the make up of the team.

Kirk Muller is online now  
Old
12-21-2011, 09:57 PM
  #1007
drivefor25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Things are bad but they're not McGuire bad.
What's the hate with McGuire. Three things I want as a GM.
One is that he can evaluate talent both at the minor and major league level. Say what you will about the guy but Mcguire definitely has this skill....and he has a ton of scouts as friends that he can lean on.
Second, a GM must be able to attract free agent talent. Pierre will do this as he has very good relationships with a lot of players and this will help bring talent here.
And finally, a GM has some extremely good relationships with other GM's around the league. Many call him to get his take on certain players.
While I also get upset listening to him on the radio with Melnick - I am ready to give him a chance. AS long as he surrounds himself with very good administrators ( a la Julien Brisebois) as I worry about his inexperience in this aspect of the job - I think he will do fine. Gauthier's inability to assess talent at the major league level over the past 8 years has hurt this franchise so badly - its scary.

drivefor25 is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 09:58 PM
  #1008
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,344
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
McGuire is the best choice out there. He knows every prospect, knows every player's favorite song. He has more knowledge than any GM available today. And he's bilingual.
Agree with you Dave, been saying this for a while now. People might find the guy annoying but he knows his stuff and looking at the way this year is going and a possibility of trading some players for prospects and picks if there is 1 guy I want it's him. And Pierre is really good friends with GM, so it could be possible. Not sure if he can leave NBC during the year or if he has to wait until the off season

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:00 PM
  #1009
Pepin le bref
Registered User
 
Pepin le bref's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NDG/CDN Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
McGuire is the best choice out there. He knows every prospect, knows every player's favorite song. He has more knowledge than any GM available today. And he's bilingual.
How can you be sure about that? McGuire's management skills are totally unproven, he has been on the outside looking in for to long. Hiring McGuire would be a colossal mistake IMO.

Pepin le bref is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:00 PM
  #1010
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
McGuire is the best choice out there. He knows every prospect, knows every player's favorite song. He has more knowledge than any GM available today. And he's bilingual.
Except for the small matter of being a clown, he's perfect.

His bitter and mindless criticism of every move the Habs has made has done nothing to help his credibility. He also never liked a narrative he didn't mind and the Habs really need a very analytical GM.

MathMan is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:02 PM
  #1011
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
There are two coaches I would try to prey, and both will never jump ship: Quenneville (most qualified for this market in my opinion; the day he becomes available and the day we have an opening, offer him a Brink's truck) and Mike Babcock. The rest, to me, is not worth more than Roy or Groulx.

And if he gets Groulx, he better trade off all the small vets we have, because they will never play for a rookie coach. He better start with a clean slate.
Coach Q aint going nowhere... Its a pipe dream but I agree with you. If McGuire comes in he will definitely trade most of the vets.

waffledave is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:05 PM
  #1012
Pepin le bref
Registered User
 
Pepin le bref's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NDG/CDN Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefor25 View Post
What's the hate with McGuire. Three things I want as a GM.
One is that he can evaluate talent both at the minor and major league level. Say what you will about the guy but Mcguire definitely has this skill....and he has a ton of scouts as friends that he can lean on.
Second, a GM must be able to attract free agent talent. Pierre will do this as he has very good relationships with a lot of players and this will help bring talent here.
And finally, a GM has some extremely good relationships with other GM's around the league. Many call him to get his take on certain players.
While I also get upset listening to him on the radio with Melnick - I am ready to give him a chance. AS long as he surrounds himself with very good administrators ( a la Julien Brisebois) as I worry about his inexperience in this aspect of the job - I think he will do fine. Gauthier's inability to assess talent at the major league level over the past 8 years has hurt this franchise so badly - its scary.
If he's so good, than why is he not working for an NHL team? There is a reason why this guy has not been employed by a professional hockey for over than a decade. People over here overrate him. Sounding smart and genuine on Melnyk in the afternoon dosen't make you a good GM...

Pepin le bref is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:05 PM
  #1013
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Why?
- Because among most other unemployed coaches, he's got a Stanley Cup ring (as a coach, not a player)

- He preaches a strong two-way game, without going short on offense.

- He helped the Ducks raise their game in the playoffs on several occasions, giving fits to perennial contenders such as San Jose and Detroit.

- If we want the Habs to match up against a tough team like the Bruins, Carlyle would be an ideal coach (as long as the GM's adds players with - shall we say - testicular fortitude.)

SB164 is online now  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:05 PM
  #1014
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 10,140
vCash: 500
Waffle, reading you here reminds me of the good ol' days of HF, when we could have serious talk without resorting to insults. I miss those days. I read this thread and I see tons of insults thrown for absolutely nothing. It adds nothing to the arguments.

deandebean is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:07 PM
  #1015
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 10,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
- Because among most other unemployed coaches, he's got a Stanley Cup ring (as a coach, not a player)

- He preaches a strong two-way game, without going short on offense.

- He helped the Ducks raise their game in the playoffs on several occasions, giving fits to perennial contenders such as San Jose and Detroit.

- If we want the Habs to match up against a tough team like the Bruins, Carlyle would be an ideal coach (as long as the GM's adds players with - shall we say - testicular fortitude.)
You bring valid points, SB164. I don't agree with the candidacy because of the market (he had it easy in California media-wise), but you make valid points.

Outside of Roy, I think he's the best one available. But my choice would be Roy, nonetheless, but I respect your points a lot. Finally, some good ones.

deandebean is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:09 PM
  #1016
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepin le bref View Post
How can you be sure about that? McGuire's management skills are totally unproven, he has been on the outside looking in for to long. Hiring McGuire would be a colossal mistake IMO.
Who would you hire over him?

waffledave is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:10 PM
  #1017
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Coach Q aint going nowhere... Its a pipe dream but I agree with you. If McGuire comes in he will definitely trade most of the vets.
If McGuire comes in, 74 isn't in the press box i bet..lol

Habaneros is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:15 PM
  #1018
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
If McGuire comes in, 74 isn't in the press box i bet..lol
that is for sure, enough with the non sense that PG brings.

VAN-HAB is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:16 PM
  #1019
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
You bring valid points, SB164. I don't agree with the candidacy because of the market (he had it easy in California media-wise), but you make valid points.

Outside of Roy, I think he's the best one available. But my choice would be Roy, nonetheless, but I respect your points a lot. Finally, some good ones.
How would you describe Patrick Roy as a coach? I admit I'm not familiar with his coaching style in the Q.

SB164 is online now  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:16 PM
  #1020
Oshawa General
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Who would you hire over him?
Still not convinced that Pierre McGuire is ready for a GM job, however, there definitely should be a position for him with this team, you can hear his passion for the CH, something like director of pro scouting, or even an assistant GM. He knows his stuff, but knowing your stuff and making things happen in the real world are two different things.
I would love to see a guy like Pat Brisson as GM, he's one of the most successful player agents today, and he's from here.

Oshawa General is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:18 PM
  #1021
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Who would you hire over him?
Jim Nill. Julien Brisebois. Just off the top of my head. I wouldn't hire McGuire even as a last resort.

MathMan is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:19 PM
  #1022
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Waffle, reading you here reminds me of the good ol' days of HF, when we could have serious talk without resorting to insults. I miss those days. I read this thread and I see tons of insults thrown for absolutely nothing. It adds nothing to the arguments.
Things have changed... I see it too. The new generation of teens are different... So aggressive and always insulting each other.

10 years ago I'd get my ass kicked for talking the way they do.

But don't be mistaken... I'd talk my fair share of trash back then too. Except it was to Bruin and Flyers fans, not our own guys. Hence the 4+ bans I've received!

waffledave is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:27 PM
  #1023
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Except for the small matter of being a clown, he's perfect.

His bitter and mindless criticism of every move the Habs has made has done nothing to help his credibility. He also never liked a narrative he didn't mind and the Habs really need a very analytical GM.
The guy plays a character on TV. And he hasn't exactly been wrong in his criticism of this organization...Huet, Gainey's shopping spree, Eller inability to finish, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Still not convinced that Pierre McGuire is ready for a GM job, however, there definitely should be a position for him with this team, you can hear his passion for the CH, something like director of pro scouting, or even an assistant GM. He knows his stuff, but knowing your stuff and making things happen in the real world are two different things.
I would love to see a guy like Pat Brisson as GM, he's one of the most successful player agents today, and he's from here.
I still think he can make things happen. Bowman recommended him as Chicago's next GM. He could probably bring Bowman in as a consultant.

Brisson is an interesting choice, I didn't think of him, but would he quit his job? The guy is arguably the best agent in the game today, and he makes boatloads of money doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Jim Nill. Julien Brisebois. Just off the top of my head. I wouldn't hire McGuire even as a last resort.
Neither of those guys are available. I'd take Jim Nill above anyone but he's not leaving Detroit. Brisebois is a good choice, but I'm hoping for fresh blood. Brisebois is a Gainey guy.

waffledave is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
  #1024
Pepin le bref
Registered User
 
Pepin le bref's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NDG/CDN Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Who would you hire over him?
Well I can't give any names but if I was hiring, I would look at someone who has been working for an NHL team for numerous years as either an assitant GM or a pro scout and that knows how to manage the cap. McGuire has not worked in the NHL since the salary cap has arrived.

IMO McGuire has been out for to long. He looks good when he talks on the radio but he's not making any tough day-to-day management decisions. He just gives his opinion here and there.

And you know what, maybe he would be good but to me he's totaly unproven as a GM (has never been one and has not worked for an NHL team for over 10 years) and IMO is to much of a risk to take at this point.

Edit: I wouldn't be opposed to see him as an assitant GM or similar role...would give him the chance to prove his worth.

Pepin le bref is offline  
Old
12-21-2011, 10:31 PM
  #1025
Bronn
Registered Sellsword
 
Bronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Highest Bidder
Posts: 11,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
McGuire is the best choice out there. He knows every prospect, knows every player's favorite song. He has more knowledge than any GM available today. And he's bilingual.
Not sure if he's the best choice but i wouldn't mind giving him a chance for the reasons you mentionned above.

He also know about the Habs glaring issues and would probably try to fix them asap. He said many times in the past that the Habs need to get bigger , tougher and harder to play against ect. He criticize a lot of the Habs decisions yes but he's justified in most of those and we can see today why with the situation the team is in. Most of the reasons that are problematic for the Habs at the moment were criticized by McGuire when they occured (trading for Gomez , Markov sigining , going bonker ob the UFA market and overpaying for a core of small players instead of rebuilding ect ect). He ended up being right about most of them.

Love him or hate him but the guy has knowledge , connections and knows his stuff. His philosophy is also different thanGainey/Gauthier
which is something the Habs desperately needs

Bronn is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.