HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Management thread 2.0 ( All GM/Coaching discussion here)

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2011, 09:52 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Things are bad but they're not McGuire bad.
McGuire is the best choice out there. He knows every prospect, knows every player's favorite song. He has more knowledge than any GM available today. And he's bilingual.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:53 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I want Gauthier gone and I want McGuire in.

In fact I am quite certain McGuire is our new GM. And he will be awesome. I'm willing to put money on that.
You just might be right. If not, I'm guessing Molson reaches out for Julien Brisebois. Not quite sure what his philosophy would be, but a lot of people said good things about him while he was here.
Everyone knows what McGuire's all about. I'm skeptical, but curious enough to want to see what he can bring.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Benoit Groulx, if I had to guess. Unless he can convince a current NHL coach to jump ship.
There are two coaches I would try to prey, and both will never jump ship: Quenneville (most qualified for this market in my opinion; the day he becomes available and the day we have an opening, offer him a Brink's truck) and Mike Babcock. The rest, to me, is not worth more than Roy or Groulx.

And if he gets Groulx, he better trade off all the small vets we have, because they will never play for a rookie coach. He better start with a clean slate.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
McGuire is the best choice out there. He knows every prospect, knows every player's favorite song. He has more knowledge than any GM available today. And he's bilingual.
he is actually trilingual

Old
12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
deandebean

And I'm Ben Groulx's BIGGEST fan here. Some older posters know how I've been pimping the guy for the last 4-5 years!

Old
12-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Kirk Muller

I know a lot of people dont like Pierre McGuire but really could he really do any worse than what PG and Gainey have turned this team into. One thing we know is that he would bring a passion for the game and i do believe he would change the make up of the team.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:57 PM
drivefor25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Things are bad but they're not McGuire bad.
What's the hate with McGuire. Three things I want as a GM.
One is that he can evaluate talent both at the minor and major league level. Say what you will about the guy but Mcguire definitely has this skill....and he has a ton of scouts as friends that he can lean on.
Second, a GM must be able to attract free agent talent. Pierre will do this as he has very good relationships with a lot of players and this will help bring talent here.
And finally, a GM has some extremely good relationships with other GM's around the league. Many call him to get his take on certain players.
While I also get upset listening to him on the radio with Melnick - I am ready to give him a chance. AS long as he surrounds himself with very good administrators ( a la Julien Brisebois) as I worry about his inexperience in this aspect of the job - I think he will do fine. Gauthier's inability to assess talent at the major league level over the past 8 years has hurt this franchise so badly - its scary.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Agree with you Dave, been saying this for a while now. People might find the guy annoying but he knows his stuff and looking at the way this year is going and a possibility of trading some players for prospects and picks if there is 1 guy I want it's him. And Pierre is really good friends with GM, so it could be possible. Not sure if he can leave NBC during the year or if he has to wait until the off season

Old
12-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Pepin le bref

Quote:
How can you be sure about that? McGuire's management skills are totally unproven, he has been on the outside looking in for to long. Hiring McGuire would be a colossal mistake IMO.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:00 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Except for the small matter of being a clown, he's perfect.

His bitter and mindless criticism of every move the Habs has made has done nothing to help his credibility. He also never liked a narrative he didn't mind and the Habs really need a very analytical GM.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:02 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
There are two coaches I would try to prey, and both will never jump ship: Quenneville (most qualified for this market in my opinion; the day he becomes available and the day we have an opening, offer him a Brink's truck) and Mike Babcock. The rest, to me, is not worth more than Roy or Groulx.

And if he gets Groulx, he better trade off all the small vets we have, because they will never play for a rookie coach. He better start with a clean slate.
Coach Q aint going nowhere... Its a pipe dream but I agree with you. If McGuire comes in he will definitely trade most of the vets.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Pepin le bref

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefor25 View Post
What's the hate with McGuire. Three things I want as a GM.
One is that he can evaluate talent both at the minor and major league level. Say what you will about the guy but Mcguire definitely has this skill....and he has a ton of scouts as friends that he can lean on.
Second, a GM must be able to attract free agent talent. Pierre will do this as he has very good relationships with a lot of players and this will help bring talent here.
And finally, a GM has some extremely good relationships with other GM's around the league. Many call him to get his take on certain players.
While I also get upset listening to him on the radio with Melnick - I am ready to give him a chance. AS long as he surrounds himself with very good administrators ( a la Julien Brisebois) as I worry about his inexperience in this aspect of the job - I think he will do fine. Gauthier's inability to assess talent at the major league level over the past 8 years has hurt this franchise so badly - its scary.
If he's so good, than why is he not working for an NHL team? There is a reason why this guy has not been employed by a professional hockey for over than a decade. People over here overrate him. Sounding smart and genuine on Melnyk in the afternoon dosen't make you a good GM...

Old
SB164

Quote:
Why?
- Because among most other unemployed coaches, he's got a Stanley Cup ring (as a coach, not a player)

- He preaches a strong two-way game, without going short on offense.

- He helped the Ducks raise their game in the playoffs on several occasions, giving fits to perennial contenders such as San Jose and Detroit.

- If we want the Habs to match up against a tough team like the Bruins, Carlyle would be an ideal coach (as long as the GM's adds players with - shall we say - testicular fortitude.)

Old
deandebean

Waffle, reading you here reminds me of the good ol' days of HF, when we could have serious talk without resorting to insults. I miss those days. I read this thread and I see tons of insults thrown for absolutely nothing. It adds nothing to the arguments.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:07 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
- Because among most other unemployed coaches, he's got a Stanley Cup ring (as a coach, not a player)

- He preaches a strong two-way game, without going short on offense.

- He helped the Ducks raise their game in the playoffs on several occasions, giving fits to perennial contenders such as San Jose and Detroit.

- If we want the Habs to match up against a tough team like the Bruins, Carlyle would be an ideal coach (as long as the GM's adds players with - shall we say - testicular fortitude.)
You bring valid points, SB164. I don't agree with the candidacy because of the market (he had it easy in California media-wise), but you make valid points.

Outside of Roy, I think he's the best one available. But my choice would be Roy, nonetheless, but I respect your points a lot. Finally, some good ones.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:09 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepin le bref View Post
How can you be sure about that? McGuire's management skills are totally unproven, he has been on the outside looking in for to long. Hiring McGuire would be a colossal mistake IMO.
Who would you hire over him?

Old
12-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Coach Q aint going nowhere... Its a pipe dream but I agree with you. If McGuire comes in he will definitely trade most of the vets.
If McGuire comes in, 74 isn't in the press box i bet..lol

Old
12-21-2011, 10:15 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
If McGuire comes in, 74 isn't in the press box i bet..lol
that is for sure, enough with the non sense that PG brings.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:16 PM
SB164

Quote:
You bring valid points, SB164. I don't agree with the candidacy because of the market (he had it easy in California media-wise), but you make valid points.

Outside of Roy, I think he's the best one available. But my choice would be Roy, nonetheless, but I respect your points a lot. Finally, some good ones.
How would you describe Patrick Roy as a coach? I admit I'm not familiar with his coaching style in the Q.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Oshawa General

Quote:
Still not convinced that Pierre McGuire is ready for a GM job, however, there definitely should be a position for him with this team, you can hear his passion for the CH, something like director of pro scouting, or even an assistant GM. He knows his stuff, but knowing your stuff and making things happen in the real world are two different things.
I would love to see a guy like Pat Brisson as GM, he's one of the most successful player agents today, and he's from here.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:18 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Jim Nill. Julien Brisebois. Just off the top of my head. I wouldn't hire McGuire even as a last resort.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:19 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Waffle, reading you here reminds me of the good ol' days of HF, when we could have serious talk without resorting to insults. I miss those days. I read this thread and I see tons of insults thrown for absolutely nothing. It adds nothing to the arguments.
Things have changed... I see it too. The new generation of teens are different... So aggressive and always insulting each other.

10 years ago I'd get my ass kicked for talking the way they do.

But don't be mistaken... I'd talk my fair share of trash back then too. Except it was to Bruin and Flyers fans, not our own guys. Hence the 4+ bans I've received!

Old
12-21-2011, 10:27 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Except for the small matter of being a clown, he's perfect.

His bitter and mindless criticism of every move the Habs has made has done nothing to help his credibility. He also never liked a narrative he didn't mind and the Habs really need a very analytical GM.
The guy plays a character on TV. And he hasn't exactly been wrong in his criticism of this organization...Huet, Gainey's shopping spree, Eller inability to finish, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Still not convinced that Pierre McGuire is ready for a GM job, however, there definitely should be a position for him with this team, you can hear his passion for the CH, something like director of pro scouting, or even an assistant GM. He knows his stuff, but knowing your stuff and making things happen in the real world are two different things.
I would love to see a guy like Pat Brisson as GM, he's one of the most successful player agents today, and he's from here.
I still think he can make things happen. Bowman recommended him as Chicago's next GM. He could probably bring Bowman in as a consultant.

Brisson is an interesting choice, I didn't think of him, but would he quit his job? The guy is arguably the best agent in the game today, and he makes boatloads of money doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Jim Nill. Julien Brisebois. Just off the top of my head. I wouldn't hire McGuire even as a last resort.
Neither of those guys are available. I'd take Jim Nill above anyone but he's not leaving Detroit. Brisebois is a good choice, but I'm hoping for fresh blood. Brisebois is a Gainey guy.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Pepin le bref

Quote:
Well I can't give any names but if I was hiring, I would look at someone who has been working for an NHL team for numerous years as either an assitant GM or a pro scout and that knows how to manage the cap. McGuire has not worked in the NHL since the salary cap has arrived.

IMO McGuire has been out for to long. He looks good when he talks on the radio but he's not making any tough day-to-day management decisions. He just gives his opinion here and there.

And you know what, maybe he would be good but to me he's totaly unproven as a GM (has never been one and has not worked for an NHL team for over 10 years) and IMO is to much of a risk to take at this point.

Edit: I wouldn't be opposed to see him as an assitant GM or similar role...would give him the chance to prove his worth.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Not sure if he's the best choice but i wouldn't mind giving him a chance for the reasons you mentionned above.

He also know about the Habs glaring issues and would probably try to fix them asap. He said many times in the past that the Habs need to get bigger , tougher and harder to play against ect. He criticize a lot of the Habs decisions yes but he's justified in most of those and we can see today why with the situation the team is in. Most of the reasons that are problematic for the Habs at the moment were criticized by McGuire when they occured (trading for Gomez , Markov sigining , going bonker ob the UFA market and overpaying for a core of small players instead of rebuilding ect ect). He ended up being right about most of them.

Love him or hate him but the guy has knowledge , connections and knows his stuff. His philosophy is also different thanGainey/Gauthier
which is something the Habs desperately needs

Closed Thread