HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mtl media too harsh?

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2011, 10:48 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yes.

Why should he have to learn french to speak to the MEDIA. Why doesn't the MEDIA learn the language of the LEAGUE.

That was... exactly the problem with Maurice Richard, isn't it?

Old
12-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
That was... exactly the problem with Maurice Richard, isn't it?
Oh yeah, that won't fly...

But technology has advanced so much that I have no doubt that the Habs could provide a real-time translation to the media who ask for it. So RDS airs the post game presser, cool, here's the video feed, and here's your feed with the coach's stuff translated in French. Problem solved.

And people are gonna say, well, he still can't talk to the fans in French. Tell me, exactly, when does the ****ing coach of the Montreal Canadiens, a man who gets more air time on TV than the prime minister, get to talk to the fans in person?

Because that's the whole logic of the thing, it's straight out of the 50's! As if live translation didn't exist and the coach of the Habs went to a tavern after the game to have a cold one with the guys who heckled him during the game!

Old
12-21-2011, 11:02 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoCyber View Post
True, they are not targeting any Player's specifically but they keep using the word Francophone instead of Quebecois when they refer to home grown talent. What, is there not any anglo or allo Quebecers (Hockey Players) out there in the Q?

Also, Peladeau owns the JdeM. Peladeau SR was known for his Jewish remarks.
JdeM supported Parizeau.
Parizeau is know for his ethnic remark after the referendum loss.

Whether it's right or wrong or whether I am doing a "guilt by association" thing, these people and their supporters will always be racists to my mind. Unfortunately, people around me think in similar ways.

I would feel the same way if it was the other way around.
Ohhh... Guilt by association. That always turned out good. Why not set up a committee and ask suspected separatists or separatist sympathizers to come answer questions, and name with whom they've had prior dealings.

That should root out these bloody ennemy of the State and of the American Canadian Way!

Old
12-22-2011, 02:15 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

i think the media deserve a part of the blame for the habs performance throughout the year. from the way they treat rookies to the way they belittle management - anybody in management really... when the media start calling for somebody to be fired/traded after 2 losses in a row, and when every sheep in the province just parrot what they hear or read in the media, it can't be good for the players....

anyways, im rambling, that's why im not too bothered about gauthier's embargo on information.

Old
12-22-2011, 04:54 AM
HabsByTheBay

Christ, neither side is covering themselves in glory here.

Reasonable people are laughing at both sides..or if they're Habs fans:

Old
12-22-2011, 05:57 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

People are giving way too much importance to the media. And that's what makes them so powerful. I don't know anybody to tell me how I feel. And it's not because one guy agrees or has the same opinion that I actually took it from him and make it mine.

Yes, they might be harsh in some occasions. Yet, Andrei Kostitsyn was never harassed for not even speaking english. Most players will NEVER be questioned because they don't speak french. But as an organization, if you know that your media is whatever attribute you want to give them, and you don't want any problems with them, and you know that what they will want is to have the captain and the coach speak the language of the majority, YOU MAKE IT HAPPEN.

But for whatever reasons, this organization decided to be retarded the day they named Koivu as their Captain and not make it a condition to the effect that since you are the face of the franchise and to respect the tradition, you will have to address the fans in their language. We are not talking about science talk here. And same applies to the coach. GM? Well if it's to have 2 or 3 meetings a year and it's to not say anything...who cares. But the coach and the captain speaks every day. And frankly, what does the media want? Again, if that team would have a captain that can speak the language. A coach that would be bilingual and a fair representation of local boys in the team (5-7), you would have had the possibility to have a GREAT team AND peace of mind with that media. At least on one really hot topic. Yes, they would criticize when things don't go well, as does the New York press in Baseball and all.

So it is what it is. We have 1 major sport, most journalists only know hockey (and knowing hockey, that's often too strong of a word), and they talk about it. They make it a show too 'cause that's what sells. But who's buying?

So, I decided once to buy a warmer coat 'cause winter was THAT cold. I had to buy some suntan lotion 'cause the sun nowadays seems way more stronger. Asking the winter to be hotter or the sun to be weaker is just not possible. I have to adapt to it. Why the hell would a serious organization like the Habs not be able to do it? 'Cause it would have weaken the team? That's pure BS. Some coaches are still in this league and doing well. And for the ones who were fired and got another chance....should I remind people that there was a list that named the 10 best coaches in the NHL and that most people on that list were at least fired once? As far as players are concerned, don't get me started. From guys we didn't pick at the draft who are doing well, from guys we didn't acquire on the UFA that would have just done a good job, from the guys we let go for absolutely nothing., you could have had a representation that would have done really good. So all those moves so that EVERYBODY would be happy. The ones who solely wants a great team, the ones who wants a good local representation. And guess what, while Marinaro said that the heritage of this team is not language, it's winning. Well most of the Habs wins did come with a good local representation. Give me your best Habs coach, best 3 forwards, best 2 d-men, and best goalie, and I can tell you that at least 50% are locals. To me, the Habs were Bowman as a coach (didn't speak french first, but from Verdun and learned it, english montrealer that understood the need), Lafleur, Béliveau, Richard, Harvey, Robinson (or some would say Savard or even Lapointe), and either Plante, Dryden or Roy. THAT's the heritage of the team. The fact that it started Maroons vs Canadiens, the whole Richard-Campbell saga, and people just are ready to throw this away. We thread the Forum away to make more money. So be it. But now they have all the trouble in the world to throw the jersey away and even more so that the jerseys that they went with were the old one we used to have. But then, it's OK to forget the local flavor attached to it since its creation? It just take a guy like Gauthier to continue the trend. What hurts me the most is that it started with Gainey who learned the language and should have known better. Mind you, some will say that he tried to have it by acquiring Brière and/or Lecavalier. While it was noble, he didn't even have to do that based on what he would have given. Just to fill your 3rd and 4th line with local Murray's and Downey's of this world, you have been just enough. Not only you give the fans and media what they want, you still have a competitive team AND you can attract the Brière of this world later on knowing that they won't be alone in front of the press every day. That other guys will be there to take the heat. Nope. Gainey and Co, but let say mostly Gauthier think that "Let's pretend they won't notice..." That's stupid at best.

And again, for the ones who are saying that if we are not a fan of winning and just want local representation, we are not real fans. Well I could say that who disrespect and don't want to recognize where the Habs are coming from, well are not real fans of this team either. And for that disrespectful comment from people who just don't understand like "I can't wait for the Nords to come back so that they joined that team" well I could say, "I can't wait for people to acnowledge the french heritage of that team and if you can't accept it, go join the Leafs". But in reality BOTH can be feasable. You can have a team where everybody will recognize themselves into. The only thing you need to happen is some faith and some understanding. But mostly some desire to do so. And some confidence that the Q and local products ARE good products indeed.

Yet, people can't understand that it would be enough for some to be mad with the fact that we actually hired a unlingual coach. But can people understand that it started indeed with the eradication of the local players as well? Can anybody understand this? And that since 2003, the only thing we had as far as the winning part is concerned, was 1 Conference championship (under Carbonneau) and 1 3rd round? Can people add ALL this to people being tired of waiting for 18 years for a Cup Finals? After seeing other teams being more succesful than we are? From the Avs, to the Devils, to the Wings and now the Bruins? Thank god for the Leafs to have suck as much....but shouldn't we be looking up instead of down or are we really at the moral victory level? Oh yes, I forgot...there are 30 teams in this league. Let just be good enough to make the playoffs. That's just pathetic and a losing approach. That's not what the Habs are all about. That's not this heritage of this ONCE great hockey team now borderline Mickey Mouse organization who on top of their not-so-distant decisions, just decided to hire a guy as an assistant coach, a guy who has NEVER coached once in his life.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 12-22-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old
12-22-2011, 09:30 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Whitesnake, you have enough knowledge of the Q to know that most of the players coming from there right now are imports or from the maritimes (or in the case of Giroux - Ontario).

The problem lies in the minor hockey program in Quebec. It is simply not producing enough hockey players right now. None of us Anglophone fans are going to care if we are drafting good local talent. We just want to win. Unfortunately there hasn't been a Quebec born superstar since Lecavalier and the QMJHL is far and away the worst league in the CHL. I will never say no to talent, reguardless of language, creed, colour or anything. That's the difference. I'm willing to compromise if it's the best talent available but it seems those clamouring for a french speaking coach, GM, captain, players, don't care of the talent level. They don't care if we snub better candidates. They want to be appeased at the time of hiring and then once again riot against an unsuccesful team. It is a vicious cycle.

Winning is a universal culture. It will unite the divide.

Old
12-22-2011, 09:33 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Speechless.

And francos are supposed to be the xenophobes
Prove me wrong.

30 teams. How many do press conferences in both English and French?
How many broadcast their games in French?
How many require their coaches and GMs speak both English and French?
What language is the GM meetings conducted in?
What language are trade calls conducted in?
What language are disciplinary cases conducted in?
What language were the CBA negotiations done in?
What language does the Commissioner speak?
What language is every NHL player required to learn?
What language are the national anthems sung in in every arena but Montreal?

The NHL is English. That is the language of the league. That is the only universal language that all coaches, presidents, players, staff members, trainers, and board of governors are required to learn and speak.

Old
12-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Evil Ted

Fans are to blame as well they are pretty much as hysterical as the media, its patetic how emotionally involved people are with a sports club there are way more important in life especially this time of year, the very personal insults directed towards players/coaches/management are disgusting.

I still remember when that reporter sneaked into Koivus hospital room to snap pics of his eye, I cant wait until we get our next management regime and players still wont want to come and play here because of crap like this someday the city and fans will realize.

Old
12-22-2011, 09:53 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Prove me wrong.

The NHL is English. That is the language of the league. That is the only universal language that all coaches, presidents, players, staff members, trainers, and board of governors are required to learn and speak.
and the province is francophone. what's your point?

Old
12-22-2011, 09:59 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
and the province is francophone. what's your point?
His point is not as important as the fact it is biased point.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:06 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Prove me wrong.

So basically , you guys have 98% of the pie and you won't let us keep our 2%?

Closed Thread