HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Management thread 2.0 ( All GM/Coaching discussion here)

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
At the risk of starting another language debate(please don't):

Does anyone know if the majority of Quebecors care if the GM speaks French?

If the Habs have a chance to convince Jim Nill to leave Detroit I'd love them to.

I trust Trevor Timmins when it comes to drafting, but I don't know how much experience he has with GM related duties.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:37 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

What impresses me most about McGuire is what he's said he'd do as a GM in terms of more administrative duties. Setting injury protocols for hits to the head, for example. This was YEARS before the NHL put in a blanket policy for hits to the head (which only happened this year). The guy is a progressive thinker...He's mentored by Bowman, and the guy has passion for this team that can be rivaled by few. He works in the media, and he knows how to play things to keep the media off your back. He has every insider in his back pocket, and these guys know every available player, every injury, every everything.

waffledave
Old
12-21-2011, 11:37 PM
MXD

Technically shouldn't, considering the GM speaks, like, once a month.

Still, considering what happened, we can be pretty sure that the next GM will be able to speak some kind of decent French.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:40 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reem View Post
Not sure if he's the best choice but i wouldn't mind giving him a chance for the reasons you mentionned above.

He also know about the Habs glaring issues and would probably try to fix them asap. He said many times in the past that the Habs need to get bigger , tougher and harder to play against ect. He criticize a lot of the Habs decisions yes but he's justified in most of those and we can see today why with the situation the team is in. Most of the reasons that are problematic for the Habs at the moment were criticized by McGuire when they occured (trading for Gomez , Markov sigining , going bonker ob the UFA market and overpaying for a core of small players instead of rebuilding ect ect). He ended up being right about most of them.

Love him or hate him but the guy has knowledge , connections and knows his stuff. His philosophy is also different thanGainey/Gauthier
which is something the Habs desperately needs
It's one thing to know what the issues are. Heck, most of us know what the issues are. Fixing the issues is the problem. Take our lack of size and toughness for example. How does that get fixed? Overpay free agents, draft well, over pay in a trade or make a shrewd deal. Who among the potential candidates can make that shrewd deal? I don't believe it's McGuire.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Protest the Hero

Keep Mcguire away from this team.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:44 PM
MXD

I'd really like Pat Brisson to pull a Gillis and accept a GM role in Montreal.

Would be forced to get rid of his share in CAA?

Old
12-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

the Montreal Forum ghosts never came over,there still punishing us for leaving .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rML6IINPh_o

Le fabulous forum: Accountability in its purest forum

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz1hEgT5Eea

Quote:
every hockey coach on the planet blathers about accountability, but the Forum provided it in its purest form. Is it any wonder the Canadiens haven't sniffed a Cup since moving into their oversized area where players driving SUVs with tinted windows can zip out of the underground garage?

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz1hEhFpyl0

Last edited by Habaneros: 12-21-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old
12-21-2011, 11:46 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The guy plays a character on TV. And he hasn't exactly been wrong in his criticism of this organization...Huet, Gainey's shopping spree, Eller inability to finish, etc...
He's been wrong on most things, including all of the above. He's really just criticizing in a vain attempt to promote his own candidacy. This doesn't do much for me WRT his credibility as a GM.

We need someone analytical and who can reject the easy clichés and find good ways to measure performance, understand what is going on, understand that **** happens in hockey that's beyond anyone control, and not panic when it does. I don't think McGuire is that guy.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:48 PM
MathMan

Quote:
He also know about the Habs glaring issues and would probably try to fix them asap.
He doesn't. He knows what the media says are the glaring issues, which is very different from what they actually are.

Quote:
He criticize a lot of the Habs decisions yes but he's justified in most of those and we can see today why with the situation the team is in.
If he hasn't mentioned the injury situation at the top of his list, then I don't want to hear about his "insights", because he has none.

My litmus test would be this: if the next GM can't understand the value of Gomez, why he had the season he did last year, or at least notice that the Habs' 5-on-5 game went to pot right when he left the lineup in Carolina, then he is not a suitable candidate and will probably make things worse rather than better.

He doesn't have to want to keep Gomez. He needs to understand what he brings and why Martin kept playing him so much.

Heck, here's another job requirement. He has to hire at least one person specifically to watch games and count things.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:49 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
He doesn't. He knows what the media says are the glaring issues, which is very different from what they actually are.

If he hasn't mentioned the injury situation at the top of his list, then I don't want to hear about his "insights", because he has none.
Why so jealous?

Old
12-21-2011, 11:51 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Why so jealous?
The last thing this team needs is someone who will try to "fix" what the media thinks is broken, because that will likely make the team worse.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:54 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
The last thing this team needs is someone who will try to "fix" what the media thinks is broken, because that will likely make the team worse.
Seems more like your baseless statistical analysis and theories turned you into the laughing stock of this board and now you can't handle names like McGuire being tossed around.

Ouch.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Protest the Hero

McGuire will pick a favourite player before a game, then spend all game pointing out every little good thing that player does.

He also usually picks out a player he hates, and shows every mistake they make. The guy never admits when he's wrong, he's like Don Cherry.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
McGuire will pick a favourite player before a game, then spend all game pointing out every little good thing that player does.

He also usually picks out a player he hates, and shows every mistake they make. The guy never admits when he's wrong, he's like Don Cherry.
...or pierre gauthier

Old
12-21-2011, 11:58 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Seems more like your baseless statistical analysis and theories turned you into the laughing stock of this board and now you can't handle names like McGuire being tossed around.
Seems like you need to work up some basic understanding of the game (hint: injuries matter).

Hey, how well is firing Martin working out so far, BTW?

Last edited by MathMan: 12-22-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old
12-21-2011, 11:59 PM
MJN79

At this rate, PG will be gone by January, hopefully we get an interim GM like Carriere that will trade for picks, I want the assets we have traded for picks.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:12 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Seems like you need to work up some basic understanding of the game (hint: injuries matter).

Hey, how well is firing Martin working out so far, BTW?
I always said Martin did what he can with what he had.

Can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN79 View Post
At this rate, PG will be gone by January, hopefully we get an interim GM like Carriere that will trade for picks, I want the assets we have traded for picks.
I want them all gone. Gauthier, Gainey, Carriere.

A new start.

Get Jim Nill in here.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:16 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

The Habs' roster is pretty good. And we might have been able to see that had said roster actually taken to the ice at any point.

OTOH, teams that play below the salary floor tend to just not be very good.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:22 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
The Habs' roster is pretty good. And we might have been able to see that had said roster actually taken to the ice at any point.
Yeah. We'd be pretty good if it were 2002.

Too bad that time machine isn't on schedule.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:26 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Have there been any rumors up there about Denis Savard being considered as your new coach? Been talked about as an option somewhat lightly on Chicago sports radio, and am kind of curious if that'd be viewed as at all of an attractive option for you guys.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:32 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Have there been any rumors up there about Denis Savard being considered as your new coach? Been talked about as an option somewhat lightly on Chicago sports radio, and am kind of curious if that'd be viewed as at all of an attractive option for you guys.
Quite frankly those who aren't busy *****ing about what language the coach should speak are the ones smart enough to know that coaching isn't this teams Achilles' heel right now.

The clean-up starts up-top.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:46 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Quite frankly those who aren't busy *****ing about what language the coach should speak are the ones smart enough to know that coaching isn't this teams Achilles' heel right now.

The clean-up starts up-top.
Needs to be cleaned up on the ice too. This roster isn't going to make the playoffs.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:51 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Needs to be cleaned up on the ice too. This roster isn't going to make the playoffs.
That goes without saying, but Gauthier and Co. sure as hell aren't the ones qualified to clean it up, Even if they're the hacks who caused it in the first place...

Old
12-22-2011, 12:55 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:

OTOH, teams that play below the salary floor tend to just not be very good.

But...the team is lifeless because of Martin.

But...we had offensive juggernauts that Martin was shutting down due to his defensive style...(What, an exploitation line ? What the hell are you talking about, Desharnais is a 1st line center, period.)

But...there is no emotion...

I mean, you just have to look at the use of Kostitsyn and Blunden in particular to see that Cunneyworth is not doing as Martin was.
(And that the huge bias towards the latter is even more obvious now.)
Right now, its so much worse that i wont watch anymore the Habs' games this year as long as a positive move has not been done.

The firing of Martin was absolutely useless (and undeserved) and the timing of such a move is even more stupid, we also know that its only an interim thing, which is a nice way to show some trust and confidence in such a difficult time.

The team, healthy, doesnt suck. And i think it would be quite appreciated to just go further than "the team sucks", in the debate and the analysis.

Is analysis considered as a forbidden word, or something like that ?

"This team no longer represents its fans" : Really ? Actually, its the best representation possible. A 10-year old bipolar girl at a concert of Bieber or a guy like that is more reliable and consistent in her judgement that our fanbase. And anyway, its not her job to represent the fans, they're just here to play hockey.

The point is i dont trust at all Gauthier and Molson to do any positive move during the next few weeks. And for god's sake, dont listen to the fanbase. Never.
Gauthier is done, its obvious, but Molson is probably not that much smarter, and thats much more problematic.

Closed Thread