HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Randy Cunneyworth: a breath of fresh air

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
missed cap money games don't really count for **** cause it's up to the teams if they for example want to pay a 4th liner 7 million dollars. he may cost a lot but it does't reflect the quality of the players missing action. (it should, but it's not an accurate depiction on this team) so i would really only consider man-games in the equation.

but i guess that stat is being added in there only to convey just how injured we are.
Missing minutes takes care of that argument fairly handily, another area that Montreal leads in. Remove Gomez entirely and Montreal is still at or near the top for games, caphit and minutes.

Old
12-21-2011, 06:31 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
It's only been two games and he finally was able to have a full practice with his "interim" team. But already, we can see the difference between Martin's system and what Cunneyworth is trying to implement.

First, we can notice that he preaches a much stronger forecheck with better support for the puck carrier to generate offense and scoring opportunities, which will suit a fast so much more than the passive and laid back style of Martin.

Also, it has been extremely noticeable that he wants his defensemen to be more active in supporting the offense, at least those who can do it. I don't know how many times already we've seen Kaberle, Subban, Campoli, Diaz getting deep into the attacking zone while a forward stayed back. This reminds me a lot of Alain Vigneault's new system since Mike Gillis took over as GM in Vancouver.

Of course, such aggressive forechek will, from time to time, create some odd man rushes the other way but with one of the best goalies in the NHL in net, it's a gamble I'm more than willing to work with. Also, more skating also means rotating four lines to keep everyone fresh, as it was painfully obvious that under Martin's three line system, they were running out of juice in the third period.

I can't wait to see Cunneyworth's team in a few weeks, with some quality practice time under their belt.

For those you can read French, here's a great article by Marc Antoine Godin, with comments from the players supporting what I'm advancing here.
yeah really he is the most innovative and original coach we ever had

Old
12-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
missed cap money games don't really count for **** cause it's up to the teams if they for example want to pay a 4th liner 7 million dollars. he may cost a lot but it does't reflect the quality of the players missing action. (it should, but it's not an accurate depiction on this team) so i would really only consider man-games in the equation.

but i guess that stat is being added in there only to convey just how injured we are.
Missing Markov for 34 games @ 5,75 is more (2,38 mil) than Gomez @ 7,36 for 21 games (1,88 mil). And Markov IS our best player. Campoli missed 29 @ 1,75 (618k). Spacek missed 17 @ 3,8 (795k). AK missed 10 @ 3,25 (396k). Gionta, Cammy and Gill have all been out for 5 games @ 13,25 (808k). White missed 34 @ 625k (259k). Gomez represents about 1/4 of our $ lost to injuries. Even without him, we'd still be top 10 in cap $ loss to injuries.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Habs13

Cunnyworth = Martin

Old
12-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I'm sorry, you're out of your freaking mind if you think the Habs injury situation is the worst in the league. We might not even be in the top 3.

Let's stop making excuses and start showing some accountability here.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:40 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
I'm sorry, you're out of your freaking mind if you think the Habs injury situation is the worst in the league. We might not even be in the top 3.

Let's stop making excuses and start showing some accountability here.
wich team are in the top 3 ??

Old
12-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

I'll give him until the end of the season but I not impressed so far.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:52 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
You know what's funny about the coaching change this time around? People here used to hate on Carbo for rolling 4 lines, then Martin was praised for shortening his bench in the third. Now Martin is hated for shortening his bench, and people praise Cunneyworth for rolling 4 lines. The argument has come full circle.
Carbo had 3 first lines that actually cared... this team has gutless players, and the few who had guts are either benched, injured, or had their nuts cut off by JM (Emelin, White, Subban... even Moen used to hit)

Old
12-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Vegeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
wich team are in the top 3 ??
Penguins
Sabres
Devils
Flyers
Avs

Old
12-22-2011, 02:45 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Barrasso View Post
Penguins
Sabres
Devils
Flyers
Avs
no doubting you, but where'd you got the info ?

Old
12-22-2011, 06:52 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Most man-games lost, most salary-games lost, most icetime-games lost.

Here, this is starting to get dated, but it's not like the Habs haven't spent most of December with five guys and 20 million on IR: http://springingmalik.blogspot.com/2...-part-two.html

(As of December first, Colorado was one of the healthiest clubs in the league...)

Last edited by MathMan: 12-22-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old
12-22-2011, 07:39 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
calculating missed games and salaries doesn't apply to us when all our big money players are crap.

Old
12-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
Great synopsis.

Watching the last 2 games, it seems as though the players have been released from their shackles. It's been quite entertaining watching this team play. It's been a long time since I have thought that.
That's how I feel watching them. The results aren't quite there yet but I feel it's coming just seeing the way they play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
yeah really he is the most innovative and original coach we ever had
Did I say that? I did talk about a different style than Martin though. Are you saying otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Cunnyworth = Martin
If you only look at results, perhaps. Different coaching styles when you watch the game.

As for those looking at the results only, it's not pretty I'll admit. No one in their right mind would want to start 0-3 under the circumstances, especially not in Montreal. But this was a tough timing for a coaching change, as the Habs faced some red-hot teams:
  • Devils had won 5 of their last 6 and welcomed Travis Zajac back into their line-up.
  • Bruins are first in the East, accumulating 14 out of a possible 16 points in December before that game.
  • Blackhawks are first in the West, getting 15 out of a possible 18 points in December in a tough conference.

I like what I'm seeing on the ice in spite of that. Subban has admitted costing the last two games, but he was making mistakes under Martin. Still refreshing not seeing the coach passing the blame on youth and choosing constructive criticism though. Players appreciate that. It will get better folks. Actually, it is better already, believe it or not.

Old
12-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Jigger77

13 goals against in 3 games...

Old
12-22-2011, 09:01 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
That's a great sample size.

In 5 games during mid-October the Habs surrendered 21 goals. Why were you not lauding the superior defensive schemes of Jacques Martin at that time.

Of course, if this trend continues Cunneyworth will have to bear the responsibility but making a judgment after three games....

Old
12-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Cunnyworth = Martin
I like the fact that he play with 4 lines, with 12 forwards and not 7D. He is more active behind the bench. His worst decision is to make Emelin a healthy scratch like Martin did

But he can't do more with the players he has on the bench...

Old
12-22-2011, 09:05 AM
MathMan

Quote:
But the shackles have been removed. It's coming, we can see it. Playing Blunden in the third is bound to get us a comeback win sooner or later, right? I'm sure these 11-minute games are going to do wonders for Eller's development, unlike Martin who never let the kids play!

In fact, despite having just had their worst loss of the entire season, and being on a four game regulation loss streak for the first time this season, things are getting better.

*sigh*

Old
12-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
But the shackles have been removed. It's coming, we can see it. Playing Blunden in the third is bound to get us a comeback win sooner or later, right? I'm sure these 11-minute games are going to do wonders for Eller's development, unlike Martin who never let the kids play!

In fact, despite having just had their worst loss of the entire season, and being on a four game regulation loss streak for the first time this season, things are getting better.

*sigh*
JM was boring. This is fun! We'll learn to enjoy getting romped.

Old
12-22-2011, 09:16 AM
MathMan

Quote:
JM was boring. This is fun! We'll learn to enjoy getting romped.
Well, at least lots of goals are getting scored!

Old
12-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

*sigh*
There were 3 major decisions that were made lately...

Getting Kaberle
Firing JM
Hiring Cunneyworth

Each decision will have different short, medium, long term effects... If JM's behind the bench he probably wins one of those 3 games and loses the 2 others by one goal.

The worst short term decision was hiring Cunneyworth, the best long term decision was Firing JM.

Old
12-22-2011, 09:20 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Please continue the coaching talk in the management thread.

Closed Thread