HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposals and Rumors Part XX

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2011, 09:32 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 500
Trade Proposals and Rumors Part XX

Previous thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1032941

Continue here.

Old
12-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

pardon my asking sir, but why are we starting a new thread on this matter when a perfectly good one already existed?

Old
12-22-2011, 09:45 AM
OgieO

Once a thread gets to 1000 posts, it gets buggy or something so they die and we start new ones.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:10 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

LA:

Regin + Butler

Ott:

Penner + 2nd

Murray gets a guy he's been after for years who's yet another project, along with a replacement 2nd that we lost. LA sheds salary and gets more scoring depth throughout the lines.

To much? Too little?

Old
12-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Romans12_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
LA:

Regin + Butler

Ott:

Penner + 2nd

Murray gets a guy he's been after for years who's yet another project, along with a replacement 2nd that we lost. LA sheds salary and gets more scoring depth throughout the lines.

To much? Too little?
Unless Penner's stock has just hit rock bottom, I do not see how Regin has equal value. Butler is not worth a second. So I think this is major underpayment on the Sens part. LA would never go for it.

Old
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I doubt LA even considers that, Butler wouldn't make their team most likely and Regin is at best their #4C.

Old
JustinYS

Would rather not have Penner. Anyone else we can get instead?

Old
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

vCash: 50
Penner =

Where offense comes to die!

Old
12-22-2011, 10:14 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
LA:

Regin + Butler

Ott:

Penner + 2nd

To much? Too little?
Last year I might have agreed, but Penner just doesn't seem like the type that would fit in MacLeans system. We preach hard work and effort in both ends of the ice, and speed. Doesn't seem like Penner would thrive in this type of system.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Laoghaire

Shame the whole 1000 post thing is a myth.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:17 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
I doubt LA even considers that, Butler wouldn't make their team most likely and Regin is at best their #4C.
Penner could also fetch a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline or a similar player like Langkow, Boyes, Huselius or Hudler plus a pick (depending on the player). I think thats much more appealing than anything Ottawa would/could/should offer.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:20 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Penner could also fetch a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline or a similar player like Langkow, Boyes, Huselius or Hudler plus a pick (depending on the player). I think thats much more appealing than anything Ottawa would/could/should offer.
The cap relief alone might interest LA, not having to take back a large salary for Penner is intriguing, they can then spend come FA time or use that space to make another trade elsewhere.

It's like the Ryan Smyth deal, the got nothing in return but used the space to take on Richards cap hit.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:21 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
The cap relief alone might interest LA, not having to take back a large salary for Penner is intriguing, they can then spend come FA time or use that space to make another trade elsewhere.

It's like the Ryan Smyth deal, the got nothing in return but used the space to take on Richards cap hit.
Penner= Impending UFA.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:22 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Penner= Impending UFA.
And all the players I mentioned are also impending UFAs. Sorry for self-quoting, I can't edit.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:23 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Since he is a ufa next year and if La is a seller at the deadline it would not shock me if they just trade him to get something back be it a draft pick or a young player.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:24 AM
German Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
Unless Penner's stock has just hit rock bottom, I do not see how Regin has equal value. Butler is not worth a second. So I think this is major underpayment on the Sens part. LA would never go for it.
Murray wouldn´t do it too. MacLean really likes Regin and Penner doesn´t fit into the system and the rebuilding plans.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:26 AM
SensHero

Quote:
And all the players I mentioned are also impending UFAs. Sorry for self-quoting, I can't edit.
That doesn't stop them from trading him for a pick or a low salary player and still spending the money elsewhere in a different deal. I can't see them trade a pending UFA for another pending UFA, where is the improvement there? For either team involved.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:26 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Yeah it was more due to the fact that I figured Penner has negative value at this point and Regin is still relatively young, plus there having trouble scoring.

I could see maybe Maclean actually getting Penner's game back to form if anything, but who knows with that guy.

Butler was just a throw in, I'd do one of our 3rds instead if it made a difference.

Anyway, just a random thought of the morning.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:33 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
That doesn't stop them from trading him for a pick or a low salary player and still spending the money elsewhere in a different deal. I can't see them trade a pending UFA for another pending UFA, where is the improvement there? For either team involved.
Well, I named off the UFA fwds who make similar money to Penner. You can also add Jokinen, Ruutu, Arnott and Prospal to that list. I just don't see LA moving Penner for two assets who aren't going to add too much to their team, and then going out and spending a 2nd rounder to replace Penner. Maybe they trade Penner for a pick, but I don't think they'd add anything to him for Butler and/or Regin, and I don't think they would trade him unless they had someone coming in to replace him.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:37 AM
OgieO

Isn't Penner's value essentially negative at this point? I don't see much of LA so maybe I don't know his story, but he's got a big contract and he doesn't produce. If he doesn't produce offensively he's pretty useless out there.

He might fetch something small at the deadline and then may be a bargain FA signing next year but giving anything of use for him seems ridiculous to me. Am I missing something?

Old
12-22-2011, 10:37 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Well, I named off the UFA fwds who make similar money to Penner. You can also add Jokinen, Ruutu, Arnott and Prospal to that list. I just don't see LA moving Penner for two assets who aren't going to add too much to their team, and then going out and spending a 2nd rounder to replace Penner. Maybe they trade Penner for a pick, but I don't think they'd add anything to him for Butler and/or Regin, and I don't think they would trade him unless they had someone coming in to replace him.
You can add as many UFA's to that list as you like, but why would they trade him for another UFA, it makes zero sense. I'm sure that Butlers 2G and 4A can easily replace Penners 2G and 5A, at a quarter of the salary. Not that I want Penner on the Sens at all, but lets be realistic, there wouldn't be a whole lot to "replace" as you put it, if they trade him. He has been terrible this year.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Wow I can't believe we are talking about Penner again.

Is our entire fan base obsessed with acquiring this guy or is it just a couple people in here that always bring it up?

Old
12-22-2011, 10:43 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
Isn't Penner's value essentially negative at this point? I don't see much of LA so maybe I don't know his story, but he's got a big contract and he doesn't produce. If he doesn't produce offensively he's pretty useless out there.

He might fetch something small at the deadline and then may be a bargain FA signing next year but giving anything of use for him seems ridiculous to me. Am I missing something?
No I think you have it figured out. Unless a team thinks Penner will put them over the top and help them win a cup then there is no reason for a team like the Sens to give up anything for him. They could sign him as a UFA in a few months from now.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
You can add as many UFA's to that list as you like, but why would they trade him for another UFA, it makes zero sense. I'm sure that Butlers 2G and 4A can easily replace Penners 2G and 5A, at a quarter of the salary. Not that I want Penner on the Sens at all, but lets be realistic, there wouldn't be a whole lot to "replace" as you put it, if they trade him. He has been terrible this year.
5 pts in 7 games since his injury, he'll end up with around 40 pts... or play at a 40 pt pace. He's still their 7th highest scoring fwd despite missing over 10 games. Butler is our 11th highest scoring fwd and will soon likely be 12th. That is much more telling than comparing points. Butler in no way, shape or form replace Penner, and if he did we wouldn't trade him for Penner.
The reason they might trade him for another UFA is because while he clearly hasn't fit into their team, one of the other UFAs might. Also, they will not be sellers. They will be buyers, if anything, and getting rid of Penner for assets that won't help this year doesnt make much sense... unless they totally crash and burn out of the playoff picture. Penner has almost 2x more points than the 8th highest scoring LA fwd, so yes... it actually is something they would need to replace. He might not be what they expected or what they hoped for, but he's still a reasonably important player for them- and as a potential Stanley Cup contender, they would be foolish to trade him merely so they can save 500K and get an okay draft pick.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Wow I can't believe we are talking about Penner again.

Is our entire fan base obsessed with acquiring this guy or is it just a couple people in here that always bring it up?
I brought it up cause there's been rumors for years that Murray has had interest, he found/signed the guy in College so there's obviously history there. With his play this year though that may have changed. Not obsessed by any means just trying to think of likely scenario's for the deadline, we shall see.

Closed Thread