HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Management thread 3.0 (All GM/Coaching discussion here)

Old
12-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
While it would be really funny to see, I hope you guys arent serious. You`ll end up arrested and this story will get bigger than it already is....
I agree.

1. This Bell Center rally is dumb. Protesting what looks like a lame-duck coach who's on his way out regardless (unless he miraculously rights the ship...).

2. This is an attempt at making cheap political capital on an issue that's already settled by the Molson letter.

3. They're a group of political agitators that don't deserve a counter-demonstration that gives them more attention.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:59 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I agree.

1. This Bell Center rally is dumb. Protesting what looks like a lame-duck coach who's on his way out regardless (unless he miraculously rights the ship...).

2. This is an attempt at making cheap political capital on an issue that's already settled by the Molson letter.

3. They're a group of political agitators that don't deserve of a counter-demonstration that gives them more attention.
100% true

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:04 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I am french canadien, I think I should go with a sign that says "For the first time in my life, I am embarrassed to be french canadien "
I'm French Canadian from Ontario. You should be embarrassed to be a French Quebecer, and not lump us (Francos outside Quebec) with you.

That being said, wtf did G. Molson and Mr. Gauthier expect would happen. INCREDIBLY STUPID MOVE by them. And then Molson throws Cunneyworth under the bus saying "our next coach will be bilingual". What a bunch of morons.

Solution? Fire PG and his group of idiots. Start over with Patrick Roy as coach and someone respected like Jacques Lemaire as GM. Maybe the names aren't right but Gauthier has created such a mess that it has to happen soon. For Cunneyworth, offer him his assistant coach position back if he wants it.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:13 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
HF is not to be used as a forum for any kind of spamming or personal harassment. Take it somewhere else or you'll be removed from the board altogether. First and only warning.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I'm French Canadian from Ontario. You should be embarrassed to be a French Quebecer, and not lump us (Francos outside Quebec) with you.

That being said, wtf did G. Molson and Mr. Gauthier expect would happen. INCREDIBLY STUPID MOVE by them. And then Molson throws Cunneyworth under the bus saying "our next coach will be bilingual". What a bunch of morons.

Solution? Fire PG and his group of idiots. Start over with Patrick Roy as coach and someone respected like Jacques Lemaire as GM. Maybe the names aren't right but Gauthier has created such a mess that it has to happen soon. For Cunneyworth, offer him his assistant coach position back if he wants it.
It's an interim position. Everybody knows that, so I do not see what is the big deal with Molson coming out to say the next coach will be bilingual. They are going with the assistant coach most likely for the remainder of the year so that the new one will have a clean plate next season.
Considering it is solely a temporary position, one that was confirmed temporary by the owner, I dont think it deserved the attention it is getting.

Blame management for the on ice product, blame them for firing a coach that was better suited than the interim, but I am not going to blame management for this ridiculous reaction by the media, fans and certain groups.
It is a freaking interim position.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:

Cunneyworth's already put in an inextricable position by the club of which he's an employee. Then you'll have a bunch of clowns coming to take cheap potshots at him... Cunneyworth will come out of this looking like the victim.

The only winners are this group of political agitators that foist their name out in the public eye. No publicity is bad publicity.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:21 AM
AreYouHockey

They know nothing about hockey, they don't even know what interim means. Their protest is basically against nothing.

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:23 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Haha, nice. I live right near the Bell Centre. I'm going to get a bunch of guys to go tar and feather these losers.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Join in?
Nah, I think I'll pass.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:27 AM
sheed36

Why anyone would want to play or coach in Montreal is beyond me.. What a circus this team as turned into with this management team in place. What's going on with the Habs right now is really a sad thing to witness..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:29 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's an interim position. Everybody knows that, so I do not see what is the big deal with Molson coming out to say the next coach will be bilingual. They are going with the assistant coach most likely for the remainder of the year so that the new one will have a clean plate next season.
Considering it is solely a temporary position, one that was confirmed temporary by the owner, I dont think it deserved the attention it is getting.

Blame management for the on ice product, blame them for firing a coach that was better suited than the interim, but I am not going to blame management for this ridiculous reaction by the media, fans and certain groups.
It is a freaking interim position.
Yes, it's an interim position but it's still bad management to fire the coach and replace him with someone that you have no intention of keeping on as the coach.

"Here's the job, win win win, and by the way - you have no chance of keeping this job even if you do win and we'll publically say so in two days".

You really think that they couldn't figure out the Quebec extermists' reaction to the hiring of Cunneyworth? My first reaction to hearing the hiring was - ouch! This will get ugly!

They should have had a plan. The Ducks fired Carlyle and already had a coach hired. They were critisized but at least they had a plan. Fire Martin? Fine. Have a plan. Have a bilingual coach ready to put his stamp on this team and make changes. And if you do hire a unilingual coach, he better be a proven winner that won't just continue the Jacques Martin system.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:31 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
my own take on the whole mess...

empathy, some people need to have it.

on both sides.

the issue is far from being black and white and unless you are uni-lingual francophone, chances are you can't understand what the Canadiens means to the rest of the francophone population in quebec. yes, it's irrational and no, i can't explain it. jack bourdain wrote what i think was the closet reason in the thread on the main board yesterday and i can't be bothered to find it again.

at the same time, what the journal de montreal wrote on their front page is trolling at worst, and xenophobic at worst. those *******s organizing a protest tomorrow against cunneyworth are for lack of words retarded.

it's about more than just the language of the coach and for the province of quebec, the canadiens are about more than just hockey. if you don't get that, then you ought to but out of the conversation.

it's too bad it's turning out this bad because it could be a good chance to discuss what we want for the future of quebec and the Club the Hockey Canadiens (CH mother****ers)

and besides, gauthier did not handle this situation properly, he completely and utterly misjudged the reaction it would have and, to make things worst, he even downplayed the issue. he handles it better, the ****storm might be controllable. Randy says, "i will learn french... tout de suite", im confident we are not in this mess we are in now. saku didn't speak a lick of french in public and he was the most loved captain of the last 20 years. fact: we appreciate effort.

since moving out of the the province, i've become an eternal optimist and i've had this argument with many people here before and i believed that PG needed to be given a bit longer to be able to erase gainey's mistake and put his own mark on the team. judge a man by his present work, not his past work et cetera et cetera, but i think he's already done that part. he completely ****ed up the coaching transition and left the team in a mess so big that i find myself unable to find an adjective that would properly describe how i feel about the team at this moment.

now miller time will be happy: fire his skinny-ass right now

and one more thing: **** the medias. quebec has produced hundreds of great hockey players, managers, scouts you name it, and the best we can put on tv is michel "all-i-talk-about-is-the-nordiques" bergeron???

P.S., before the ad hominems starts raining down on me, i couldn't care less if the coach speaks french, english, or chinese as i'd be able to speak and understand all three.

peace.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:32 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Cunneyworth's already put in an inextricable position by the club of which he's an employee. Then you'll have a bunch of clowns coming to take cheap potshots at him... Cunneyworth will come out of this looking like the victim.

The only winners are this group of political agitators that foist their name out in the public eye. No publicity is bad publicity.
I wonder if Cunneyworth had a real clue what he was getting himself into. Mr. Gauthier sure knew or should have known. In hinsight, maybe Cunneyworth would have politely refused the job, especially if he knew he had ZERO change of keeping the job.

Old
Fozz

Will they also complain about the fact that the Alouettes' coach doesn't speak French?

Was anyone complaining about Felipe Alou when he was the coach of the Expos?

This is sports and shouldn't be used for political purposes. Those that do should be ashamed of themselves.

This is beyond ridiculous and I'm French/Québécois

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
AreYouHockey

Quote:
You really think that they couldn't figure out the Quebec extermists' reaction to the hiring of Cunneyworth? My first reaction to hearing the hiring was - ouch! This will get ugly!
It was not even a hiring.

It's just, firing the head coach, and keep the same staff with an assistant to take the lead, until the summer.

Most likely because their #1 candidate can't come before then.

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:33 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Yes, it's an interim position but it's still bad management to fire the coach and replace him with someone that you have no intention of keeping on as the coach.

"Here's the job, win win win, and by the way - you have no chance of keeping this job even if you do win and we'll publically say so in two days".

They should have had a plan. The Ducks fired Carlyle and already had a coach hired. They were critisized but at least they had a plan. Fire Martin? Fine. Have a plan. Have a bilingual coach ready to put his stamp on this team and make changes. And if you do hire a unilingual coach, he better be a proven winner that won't just continue the Jacques Martin system.
I agree with you. This was handled really badly...They basically threw Randy under the bus, which isn't fair to him at all. It seems to me like they are giving up on the season.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:38 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I agree with you. This was handled really badly...They basically threw Randy under the bus, which isn't fair to him at all. It seems to me like they are giving up on the season.
A weird thing to do, considering they traded for Kaberle, what, a week or two earlier?

In the meantime, Cunneyworth is way over his head.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
HF is not to be used as a forum for any kind of spamming or personal harassment. Take it somewhere else or you'll be removed from the board altogether. First and only warning.
Why?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Protest the Hero

I can't believe Randy Cunneyworth is the biggest problem facing the French language.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
my own take on the whole mess...

empathy, some people need to have it.

on both sides.

the issue is far from being black and white and unless you are uni-lingual francophone, chances are you can't understand what the Canadiens means to the rest of the francophone population in quebec. yes, it's irrational and no, i can't explain it. jack bourdain wrote what i think was the closet reason in the thread on the main board yesterday and i can't be bothered to find it again.

at the same time, what the journal de montreal wrote on their front page is trolling at worst, and xenophobic at worst. those *******s organizing a protest tomorrow against cunneyworth are for lack of words retarded.

it's about more than just the language of the coach and for the province of quebec, the canadiens are about more than just hockey. if you don't get that, then you ought to but out of the conversation.

it's too bad it's turning out this bad because it could be a good chance to discuss what we want for the future of quebec and the Club the Hockey Canadiens (CH mother****ers)

and besides, gauthier did not handle this situation properly, he completely and utterly misjudged the reaction it would have and, to make things worst, he even downplayed the issue. he handles it better, the ****storm might be controllable. Randy says, "i will learn french... tout de suite", im confident we are not in this mess we are in now. saku didn't speak a lick of french in public and he was the most loved captain of the last 20 years. fact: we appreciate effort.

since moving out of the the province, i've become an eternal optimist and i've had this argument with many people here before and i believed that PG needed to be given a bit longer to be able to erase gainey's mistake and put his own mark on the team. judge a man by his present work, not his past work et cetera et cetera, but i think he's already done that part. he completely ****ed up the coaching transition and left the team in a mess so big that i find myself unable to find an adjective that would properly describe how i feel about the team at this moment.

now miller time will be happy: fire his skinny-ass right now

and one more thing: **** the medias. quebec has produced hundreds of great hockey players, managers, scouts you name it, and the best we can put on tv is michel "all-i-talk-about-is-the-nordiques" bergeron???

P.S., before the ad hominems starts raining down on me, i couldn't care less if the coach speaks french, english, or chinese as i'd be able to speak and understand all three.

peace.
I see both sides, and I sympathize with unilingual Francophones who feel alienated by an anglo coach, and those who think the club is willing to abandon tradition.

But these political groups are as bad as the journalists. They only care about exploiting this issue for their own gain. None of these people care about the Habs.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:42 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Really?

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:42 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
I don't know if he was available, but what if Jacques Lemaire was named interim coach? Now he's a true interim coach (as he proved last year). The language controversy would not have surfaced and he could have turned the season around. For me, the choice of Cunneyworth was the worst they could have made (and not because of his competence as a coach - maybe he'll become a great coach, just not in Montreal) and Pierre Gauthier is to blame. He should be facing the media every day from now on - answering questions in French for the French Media.

"Mr. Gauthier, why was St-Denis sent to the minors when his plus-minus was better than Emelin's?"
"Mr. Gauthier, Cammalleri is got 19:54 of ice time but Desharnais only got 18:45. Can you explain?"
"Mr. Gauthier, now that the "youthful" defensemen are not playing, who do you blame for tonight's loss?"

Old
12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
That is specifically what interim is.

As for them not knowing about the reaction, no, I don't think they expected it to be so bad. I certainly didn't.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
A weird thing to do, considering they traded for Kaberle, what, a week or two earlier?

In the meantime, Cunneyworth is way over his head.
Any inexperienced coach would be in over their head, even an experienced coach.

This was just awful timing. Cunneyworth was put in an awful position and I feel awful for him having to deal with this political garbage when he has more than enough things to deal with already.

No legitimate coach is going to want to manage this team after this nonsense. Victory to the French language, because at this rate all they will be able to attract is second rate Quebecois coaches and possibly players to begin with.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:46 AM
sheed36

Quote:
That's exactly what management did.. You can't help but feel terrible for RC and the hostile environment management placed him in. Thing is even if he got the team going and they went on a tear the rest of the season he was still out because of the language thing.. And to make matters worse we haven't heard a peep out of management in support of Cunneyworth since this ****storm hit to my knowledge..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote