HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

jvr, class of 2007 drop out

Old
12-22-2011, 08:43 AM
kimmofan44

vCash: 500
jvr, class of 2007 drop out

considering that the only person drafted higher than jvr in 2007's draft year was patrick kane and voracek went a few spots later, isn't it time for jvr to start stepping up and not just having "potential" and start showing some progress? he's a big boy who seems timid to assert himself against opponents veterans and only seems to have flashes of brilliance. don't get me wrong i think jvr still could prove to be essential to this teams offense but his lackluster play has been overshadowed by stunning play of giroux and all the new faces in the roster. i just want to know other peoples opinions on jvr and maybe some ideas as to why he's become such a non factor as of late. go flyers! keep up the pace!

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 08:59 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
he's injured

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
JVR is the HF whipping boy.

However in his defense I'll say this.

1. He is not 100 percent, that is clear
2. He is not playing with a playmaker. He needs to play with either Giroux or Voracek

1.His critique lies in his inability to play without space. He rarely scores a dirty goal
2. He has no concept of how to play physical. He may be the worst forechecker in the league.
3. He seems mentally soft.

He is going to take time to fully develop, and the flyers may want to weigh the risk vs. reward of keeping him vs. trading him for some Defense.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Psuhockey

JVRis is only in his 3rd year in the league. Power forwards typically don't hit a consistent stride until their mid to late 20's. Look at Jeff Carter's career (I know many don't like him but he was productive). He was considered a bust early in his third year. When Richards went down and the team was suffering a 10 game losing streak at the end of the year, Jeff Carter started to come into his own and became a 30+ goal scorer. JVR will always have the stigma of being a under performing 2nd overall pick, but it's not his fault he was a headliner in a bad draft. Patrick Kane looks like the only star player from that draft. It's the Flyers crummy luck that the year they are terrible, it was a very weak draft class.

Psuhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:29 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
JVRis is only in his 3rd year in the league. Power forwards typically don't hit a consistent stride until their mid to late 20's. Look at Jeff Carter's career (I know many don't like him but he was productive). He was considered a bust early in his third year. When Richards went down and the team was suffering a 10 game losing streak at the end of the year, Jeff Carter started to come into his own and became a 30+ goal scorer. JVR will always have the stigma of being a under performing 2nd overall pick, but it's not his fault he was a headliner in a bad draft. Patrick Kane looks like the only star player from that draft. It's the Flyers crummy luck that the year they are terrible, it was a very weak draft class.
Neither JVR nor Jeff Carter are power forwards. A power forward uses his body to create space and force scoring chances.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:35 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Neither are power forwrads

Old
12-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Flyerfan4life

personaly i think JVR's biggest assest lies in his trade power for us..

that is his role, hopefully homer finds a way to use that power soon.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:41 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

JVR is on pace for a 50 point season. That is a complete disappointment, especially after his playoff performance. People can say what they want about JVR playing hurt or not playing with a top center, but this is also his doing as well. At some point, he's got to make the jump and decide if he's content being mediocre or being great. Right now, he just seems to float out there. If JVR can be used to land a guy like Suter or Weber or Jack Johnson in Los Angeles, then I think it's time to consider it.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:41 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I felt the same way up until about halfway through last season when he really got rolling and into the playoffs. He's been playing pretty well this season all things considered. He's on pace for a career high in points and depending on how line combinations, injuries, and hot/cold streaks go, I could see him getting even more points than he is projected to (he's currently projected to get 53, but if he heats up or gets switched on to a line with G I could see him breaking 60). Not too bad for a 22 year old.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:44 AM
rafman522

I would like to see him play with briere and read together on a line so that we have simmonds talbot voracek on the next line because voracek and simmonds have some chemistry building so it would be interesting how that played off

rafman522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Relax.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:49 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Relax.
This.^

What place are we in again?
What players on the team ( Jagr ) is he learning from?
How old is he?

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:51 AM
McNasty

Seems like nobody can find any consistency with Briere, even Simmonds is scoring more w/out him. I still think JVR needs to play the RW if he's ever going to reach his full potential. He seems much more comfortable shielding the puck on his backhand, and when he comes down the LW he settles for 30 foot wristers.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:55 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Seems like nobody can find any consistency with Briere, even Simmonds is scoring more w/out him. I still think JVR needs to play the RW if he's ever going to reach his full potential. He seems much more comfortable shielding the puck on his backhand, and when he comes down the LW he settles for 30 foot wristers.
Well, all of this movement up and down the lineup doesn't help.

He certainly isn't 100% healthy, I can assure you of that.

Usually what you see glimpses of in these kinds of players at this young an age is what they become more consistently by the age of 23 or 24. If JVR comes even within 1/2 of the monster he was for the playoffs then god help the rest of the league.

This really feels like that half year of limbo where everyone thought Giroux might fade out into a 50-point playmaker because he would get hot in spurts but couldn't find any consistency. People here worry a lot.

Notice how quickly Read's offensive start has disappeared. Also take a look at where Voracek, Read, and JVR sit in relation to points on this roster. These three are the guys who aren't seeing the bulk of the playing time and are moving up and down the lineup regularly. You'll start to see JVR and Voracek get some streaks going on to boost their point totals.

Last edited by CS: 12-22-2011 at 11:06 AM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:03 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
This.^

What place are we in again?
What players on the team ( Jagr ) is he learning from?
How old is he?
This has an affect on JVR's play how?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:26 AM
kicksave27

He's gotta be hurt, probably a groin.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Not only is the guy playing hurt( it's quite clear in his stride, he's always been a fluid skater) but he's playing with briere and stone hands. The line doesn't work. I don't know why lavy is keen to push it so much.

Jvr also seems to be mr clutch. Scores when the chips are down. We might have another franzen.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

I beat onJVR a lot, but the kid is not 100% which is definately effecting his play, I really want him to reach his potential the kid could be a beast, he has glimpes of greatness that make me go holy crap JVR could be unstoppable, but then he goes back to normal, I think what doesn't help his case is that they traded Richie and Carts and it has been said countless times the Flyers made the deals relying on JVR and Giroux stepping up to fill those roles, I think eventually he'll come around and beast out, but hey if he follows in Claude Lemieux's lead and beasts out in the playoffs I'm really ok with that

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Lately Ive been a proponent of moving him for an elite defensemen. A year ago I wouldnt have traded him for nearly anyone in the league. What a difference an offseason makes.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
FlyersFan61290

First and foremost he seems injured to me. But regardless he's still only 22. If he's not a 35g 70pt guy 2 yrs from now then I'll be upset but until then there is nothing to worry about. JVR only has 3 less pts then Voracek and it's in 5 less games. We also need to keep in mind that Voracek has an additional yr in the NHL under his belt.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:55 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
JvR is our best bait right now to get a defender that we need IMO.

Voracek is coming into his own, and the Jagr-effect is helping him out so much.

What I don't get is, if JvR is injured why aren't they letting him heal and still playing him?

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post

What I don't get is, if JvR is injured why aren't they letting him heal and still playing him?
This. He needs to be sat to heal, or operated on, or whatever needs to be done. It needs to be done now, so he can be useful in the playoffs...instead of increasingly detrimental as his injury gets worse; assuming it exists.

...did they learn nothing from Richards' wrist injury last year? Nothing at all? (Again, assuming JVR is indeed injured)

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 12-22-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:37 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
This. He needs to be sat to heal, or operated on, or whatever needs to be done. It needs to be done now, so he can be useful in the playoffs...instead of increasingly detrimental as his injury gets worse; assuming it exists.

...did they learn nothing from Richards' wrist injury last year? Nothing at all? (Again, assuming JVR is indeed injured)
Glad I'm not the only one who is thinking along those lines. I mean I'm no medical expert, but I'm pretty sure if you're injured you shouldn't do something that will make it worse / not heal it.

It's absolutely pathetic if he's playing through an injury. It's not like he's fully needed right now or anything. If he's injured, just let him heal. FFS.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:37 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

I sure as hell hope it's an injury because if this is the way he's going to play healthy, it's time to ship him out of town

Old
12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I sure as hell hope it's an injury because if this is the way he's going to play healthy, it's time to ship him out of town
Agreed with this. I mean, it's no surprise he's playing like complete and utter crap right now. Something has to give.