HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 31 @ New Jersey Devils

View Poll Results: 3 Stars
Marian Gaborik 132 73.74%
Henrik Lundqvist 170 94.97%
Derek Stepan 79 44.13%
Carl Hagelin 68 37.99%
Artem Anisimov 44 24.58%
Stu Bickel 8 4.47%
Brian Boyle 1 0.56%
Ryan McDonagh 6 3.35%
Brandon Dubinsky 9 5.03%
Dan Girardi 29 16.20%
Ryan Callahan 3 1.68%
Brad Richards 2 1.12%
Tim Erixon 3 1.68%
John Mitchell 2 1.12%
Other 2 1.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-22-2011, 09:14 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Wait until you marry said "rival" fan..then it becomes really interesting! Just ask my husband.

I, for one, LOATHE the Rangers suck chants. I think it's retarded, immature and just annoying (especially when we're losing). 229 isn't too bad, it's the corner that's really bad.

There was a lot more "Let's Go Devils" chants, but whatever, we lost. Let's move on because there's still a lot of games left to play. We'll see you guys again in January. Best of luck the rest of the way (but not too much luck).
What about the "Hey, you suck!" goal chant? Losing by 4 goals in the 3rd period and score a goal to make it 5-2: "Hey, you suck!" lol. In general it's childish. I'm sure the players hate it.

Love the crowd reaction btw:

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:17 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
What about the "Hey, you suck!" goal chant? Losing by 4 goals in the 3rd period and score a goal to make it 5-2: "Hey, you suck!" lol. In general it's childish. I'm sure the players hate it.

Love the crowd reaction btw:

1st, I can't see videos at work so I have no idea what that is.

2nd, I agree that's childish as well, but that's never going to stop. IMO the Rangers suck chant is worse than that. We play you guys 6 times a year, we shouldn't hear it during any other games and if we have to not more than once.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:06 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
1st, I can't see videos at work so I have no idea what that is.
The video is of Hagelin's goal and was not aimed at you. I had commented earlier in the thread on the crowd reaction for the goal and thought it was awesome.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:20 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
The video is of Hagelin's goal and was not aimed at you. I had commented earlier in the thread on the crowd reaction for the goal and thought it was awesome.
LOL that's fine. I ain't even mad bro! It was very loud when you guys scored. Nothing we can do about that.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:28 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post

For the record, I've never seen a defensemen stop developing at 24. Cally didn't really break out until 25, 26, and defensemen are notorious for taking forever. For all we know, and both Torts and Staal have suggested, that Staal can be, and will be, even better than his all-star year.
Alright, I'm not picking on you specifically, it's just that you're like the 48th person to mention that "Marc Staal is an all-star". True, he's made the all-star team once, but that's far different than him likely being a perennial NHL all-star, which certainly seems to be what is being implied by some (again, not saying you) posters.

Look, the fact is Staal made the All-Star team largely based on a very stellar first half of the season, cant take that away from him, but he tailed off greatly after that all-star nomination.

He had 6 goals and was a +12 at the All-Star break (solid, yes), but finished the year with 7 goals and was only +8. Yeah, I know he's not and offensive Dman, but O-numbers rightly or wrongly often matter for a Dman's ASG selection, and finished -4 on the 2nd half of the entire season, and then proceeded to go -3 in the playoffs.

Quote:
It's not "childish", it's moronic, and I'd like to slap every idiotic Devils' fan that does this.

I dont like the "Hey, you suck!" chant even if the Devils are winning 4-0, as I think it's classless, but when you're losing 4-0 and score to make it 4-1 late in the 3rd, you sound like a toolbox.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:30 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Alright, I'm not picking on you specifically, it's just that you're like the 48th person to mention that "Marc Staal is an all-star". True, he's made the all-star team once, but that's far different than him likely being a perennial NHL all-star, which certainly seems to be what is being implied by some (again, not saying you) posters.

Look, the fact is Staal made the All-Star team largely based on a very stellar first half of the season, cant take that away from him, but he tailed off greatly after that all-star nomination.

He had 6 goals and was a +12 at the All-Star break (solid, yes), but finished the year with 7 goals and was only +8. Yeah, I know he's not and offensive Dman, but O-numbers rightly or wrongly often matter for a Dman's ASG selection, and finished -4 on the 2nd half of the entire season, and then proceeded to go -3 in the playoffs.
He had a concussion for most of the 2nd half.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Playing that loud music after an opposition goal is just obnoxious. WTF Really bush league.

12-22-2011, 10:33 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Playing that loud music after an opposition goal is just obnoxious. WTF Really bush league.
Most teams do something like that when an opposing team scores.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:34 AM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
They were trying to drown out the loud cheering that was going on

12-22-2011, 10:35 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
It's not "childish", it's moronic, and I'd like to slap every idiotic Devils' fan that does this.

I dont like the "Hey, you suck!" chant even if the Devils are winning 4-0, as I think it's classless, but when you're losing 4-0 and score to make it 4-1 late in the 3rd, you sound like a toolbox.
I'm not sure you'll be able to feel your hand when you're done.

And again, we aren't the only team that uses this song and does that after it. I'd also take that over the million and one "Rangers Suck, Flyers Swallow" chants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
They were trying to drown out the loud cheering that was going on
No need for sarcasm, that's exactly what they were doing.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He had a concussion for most of the 2nd half.
Seriously. Pointing out his bad second half is akin to pointing out that he is last in the NHL scoring this year with zero points. Impressively idiotic even for a Devils fan.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:

No need for sarcasm, that's exactly what they were doing.
Haha really? I figured they just did that for every visiting team's goal.

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:46 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Jeez. I missed something going on here.
Quick take on what I've seen so far

Devils fans feel like they should have won last night
Rangers fans feel like it could have been a blowout

Adam Larsson is poised to be a star. I was at the game, and looking for him on the ice to get a read, I wasn't really blown away. seemed to play a tenative defensive game, but had good vision with his passing.

As for Larsson vs Staal, I think I'm seeing some Devils fans massively underrating Staal beacuse of his lackluster offensive numbers, and I also see an 18 year old who's touted as an offensive defensemen being compared to a 24 year old shut down defenseman.

For the record, I've never seen a defensemen stop developing at 24. Cally didn't really break out until 25, 26, and defensemen are notorious for taking forever. For all we know, and both Torts and Staal have suggested, that Staal can be, and will be, even better than his all-star year.

But Larsson is gorram 18 years old. Nothing is a given.

I bear no resentment towards Devils fans, other than A) my experiences with New Jersey, and B) that I'm dating one. That said, they appear to hate the Rangers more than they like the Devils. I heard dozens of "rangers suck" chants, but only one or two "lets go devils". As opposed to the horrible stories I've heard on here, i was in 229 and had a very fine, respectful game. The fans in red got to taunt hank once, and we got to taunt marty three times. I call it a win.
Quote:
Wait until you marry said "rival" fan..then it becomes really interesting! Just ask my husband.

I, for one, LOATHE the Rangers suck chants. I think it's retarded, immature and just annoying (especially when we're losing). 229 isn't too bad, it's the corner that's really bad.

There was a lot more "Let's Go Devils" chants, but whatever, we lost. Let's move on because there's still a lot of games left to play. We'll see you guys again in January. Best of luck the rest of the way (but not too much luck).
Oh my gosh Callagraves..RUN!! RUN!! GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!

Juuuust kidding honey!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:49 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Haha really? I figured they just did that for every visiting team's goal.
They do, but they crank it up a little more when you guys are visiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post

Juuuust kidding honey!
LOL ya know..I'll take back your Christmas presents.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:11 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I honestly don't have a problem with the "Hey, you suck" chant during their goal song. If I was a Devils fan, I would do it, if it was our goal song, I would do it. And who are we to talk, really? We chanted "Beat your wife Potvin!" and "Drive a Porshe Hextall" for years. The problem with the Potvin Sucks/Rangers Sucks chants is they are done TOO MUCH during games. I will do the Potvin sucks chants twice at the most at a game, no more, sometimes less. And I don't do it if we're losing and look like crap doing it.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:17 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
We chanted........ "Drive a Porshe Hextall" for years.
I never knew that, that's absolutely disgraceful. WTH is wrong with people?

Old
12-22-2011, 11:22 AM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
I never knew that either, that must have been wayyy back in the day because I don't ever recall hearing that at games.

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

[QUOTE=BenedictGomez;41331617]Alright, I'm not picking on you specifically, it's just that you're like the 48th person to mention that "Marc Staal is an all-star". True, he's made the all-star team once, but that's far different than him likely being a perennial NHL all-star, which certainly seems to be what is being implied by some (again, not saying you) posters.

He had 6 goals and was a +12 at the All-Star break (solid, yes), but finished the year with 7 goals and was only +8. Yeah, I know he's not and offensive Dman, but O-numbers rightly or wrongly often matter for a Dman's ASG selection, and finished -4 on the 2nd half of the entire season, and then proceeded to go -3 in the playoffs./QUOTE]

First let me preface this by saying I like Larsson a lot and I think he will be a very good dman.

However your supposition earlier in this thread was that because Larsson is on pace to have a better offensive season than Staal has had, his numbers can only get better throughout his career...but Staal being an All-Star last season doesn't get the same trend?

Just a question did you know that McDonagh has 1 more point in 2 less games than Larsson? McMonster is also on pace to finish the season with 2 more points, already plays a great defensive game, has 2 less PP points than AL yet only averages 1 minute of PP/TOI while AL averages 3:08...McMonster also averages 3:29 SH TOI/game while AL averages 13 seconds per game. And McD has only played 38 more games.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
I never knew that either, that must have been wayyy back in the day because I don't ever recall hearing that at games.
PL died in 1984 (I remember watching this on the Philly news as a little kid), so it was WAY back in the day. I was really young, and just starting to watch hockey. It was very sad, so young, and he was a fantastic player.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:46 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post

Just a question did you know that McDonagh has 1 more point in 2 less games than Larsson? McMonster is also on pace to finish the season with 2 more points, already plays a great defensive game, has 2 less PP points than AL yet only averages 1 minute of PP/TOI while AL averages 3:08...McMonster also averages 3:29 SH TOI/game while AL averages 13 seconds per game. And McD has only played 38 more games.
Yes, I do know, and I'm very impressed with his game thus far (You know he was a 1st round draft pick, right? Not like RM is coming out of left field as the 184th pick in a draft).

The only thing in the above I'd disagree with, is that "only" playing "38 more games" is actually pretty major. Rookie Dmen learn a ton their first 100'ish games in the league, so while they're both fetuses, 38 games is a pretty substantial advantage to their learning curves at this point. You can already see AL getting better every game simply by not making "the same mistakes twice" etc... And that's quite typical of any rookie NHL defenseman.

The only other thing I'd point out, is that RM is more than 3.5 years older than Larsson, which is like an eternity at their respective ages, and specifically for Dmen development.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:58 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Usually in that situation I switch to "Hey, we suck!"

But like any fanbase, there are an overwhelming amount of fools.

And as for the Rangers suck chants, I don't participate in those. I'm not 14 years old.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:01 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Yes, I do know, and I'm very impressed with his game thus far (You know he was a 1st round draft pick, right? Not like RM is coming out of left field as the 184th pick in a draft).

The only thing in the above I'd disagree with, is that "only" playing "38 more games" is actually pretty major. Rookie Dmen learn a ton their first 100'ish games in the league, so while they're both fetuses, 38 games is a pretty substantial advantage to their learning curves at this point. You can already see AL getting better every game simply by not making "the same mistakes twice" etc... And that's quite typical of any rookie NHL defenseman.

The only other thing I'd point out, is that RM is more than 3.5 years older than Larsson, which is like an eternity at their respective ages, and specifically for Dmen development.
I'm pretty familiar with McMonsters draft position and really don't know why you feel the need to defend AL since I've already told you that I like him a lot and think he will be a very good dman.

If you saw anything out of McMonster last season it was his hockey IQ, skating and not really making mistakes he played nearly flawless though his first 40 NHL games.

But I thought the Swedish League was so far ahead of College, Juniors and the AHL, men vs boys and all that?

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:22 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
PL died in 1984 (I remember watching this on the Philly news as a little kid), so it was WAY back in the day. I was really young, and just starting to watch hockey. It was very sad, so young, and he was a fantastic player.
Yeah, it was before I was going to games on a consistent basis (I became a fan in 86). But honestly, the Garden back then was a LOT crazier. It truly was dangerous to be an opposing fan of a rival back then. The way it is in Prudential during Rangers-Devils games reminds me of those days sometimes.

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 12-22-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old
12-22-2011, 01:36 PM
ruckus*

Benedict..I don't think you can assess Staal by numbers really. It just isn't fair to the type of player/defenseman that he is. The fact that he was only a -4 as mentioned or whatever it is honestly is impressive if you watched the Rangers every game. The fact of the matter is he's on the ice for pretty much half of every game against the opposition's top line. Every single night. Every single game. And more often than not, he shuts them down. Plus/minus as we all know is pretty arbitrary to begin with and with the amount he's on the ice there are obviously going to be goals scored. Staal is never going to be a big time offensive D-man but he has the ability to contribute. One of the most disappointing things about him missing this season for me is that I really was looking forward to seeing his improvement there. He really started to make strides at the end of last season.

Really, there's no way any fan of any team in the league can really understand what it is that Staal does. I don't care that Devils fans live in the area and have access to Rangers games on tv. There are too many nights where these teams play at the same time on the same night. It takes away from truly understanding just how good he is.

He is not flashy at all, and he does everything you could ever ask for from a defenseman.

Larsson may very well have the potential and ability to be Marc Staal, but that will be quite a compliment to him if he does that, because Marc Staal is an excellent defenseman. One that I think you underrate immensely, even if you try and act like you aren't.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:

Juuuust kidding honey!
HA! I remember the day Tony mistakenly posted while using your account.

I'm a mere 21 years of age and openly admit that marriage should be reserved as a punishment for shoplifting in some, less fortunate countries, though the rivalry and games become that much more interesting when after your team scores a goal, you have to console the other person and assure them "It's really a good game though."

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote