HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Stepan hit the 60 point mark?

Old
12-22-2011, 12:04 AM
KingHenrik311

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
If that line is kept intact, I would be shocked if he didn't hit 60 points this season. In fact, I expect him to flirt with 70.

I see Stepan as our version of Giroux in that they are both tremendous passers with incredible hockey IQ and an underrated shot.

Both players had impressive rookie seasons. Giroux broke out as a sophomore and scored at a nearly PPG pace, and Stepan appears to be following in his footsteps. I don't think anyone could have predicted that Giroux would be as dominant in his third season as he's been. Players like that are tricky to gauge as far as their potential, because it's not about size or speed. For all of their talent, I believe their main weapon is smarts, and honestly I think the sky is the limit for guys like that.

*A necessary disclaimer* I'm not saying that I necessarily expect Stepan to turn out as good as Giroux. But I also wouldn't be shocked if he did.
Yeah. He wont be Giroux and he's not like Giroux. IMO. Giroux is SPECIAL player who will score 100 pts this year. Stepan isnt that kind of guy. Stepan reminds me a young richards in the making. Good passer, good shot.. good awareness.

KingHenrik311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
You guys want a good comparison with Step (production and career outlook)?

Paul Stastny
Stastny with an edge to his game. Hopefully a better career outlook as well. His game has gone to hell recently.

Stepan has all the tools, and the talent around him, to be a 75-80 point center in this league. He's going to be a hell of a player for this franchise for the next 10 years.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Stastny with an edge to his game. Hopefully a better career outlook as well. His game has gone to hell recently.

Stepan has all the tools, and the talent around him, to be a 75-80 point center in this league. He's going to be a hell of a player for this franchise for the next 10 years.
It's odd because Step sort of added this nasty edge consistently out of nowhere. We saw flashes of it last year (him knocking out Mike Green after Mike Green pestered him comes to mind), but he's been consistently chippy this year and it's still hard to consider him a guy who plays like that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
It's odd because Step sort of added this nasty edge consistently out of nowhere. We saw flashes of it last year (him knocking out Mike Green after Mike Green pestered him comes to mind), but he's been consistently chippy this year and it's still hard to consider him a guy who plays like that.
Love seeing Steps play with an edge. He is going to be a great player for us for a very long time

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Hensch

it's not can Stepan hit the 60 point mark... it's when.

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Well, it's not really all that odd to those who have been following him throughout his development. At Wisconsin he played his best hockey when he was playing with a chip on his shoulder and mixing it up physically. He even said in an interview while he was there that when he was struggling to produce, his coach said he needed to get into the game physically, and that's what really added the confidence he needed to his game.

It's hard for a first year NHLer to play with an edge, especially a 20 year old kid who was barely 185lbs at 6ft tall. Now that he's comfortable, he's finally taking his game to the next level. Sting mentioned it a few times last year that he was disappointed with his lack of passing, since it's really his bread and butter. I think now that he's comfortable with the speed and physicality of the game at this level, he's finally showing what he can do with his vision.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:44 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Sting mentioned it a few times last year that he was disappointed with his lack of passing, since it's really his bread and butter. I think now that he's comfortable with the speed and physicality of the game at this level, he's finally showing what he can do with his vision.
I think there is a difference in the way the team is playing, and I think the fact that Richards is on the roster has allowed Johnny Cakes to alter his philosophy. The team can now allow itself to be more concerned with driving the offensive game, and that allows Stepan to do his thing more. It's a night and day difference, and the funny thing is, I still don't think he's at the point he can be in that regard. He's a better playmaker than he's shown this season, too. I hope and think we will see even more of it in the next couple of years. He has more vision. Some of it is that Artie isn't exactly the ideal linemate for that Steps-Gabby duo (not that I'm criticizing Artie; he's doing a more than adequate job right now), some of it is that Stepan is still getting stronger.

He's such a smart player, and that's the key. He understands what sort of plays and patterns lead to quality scoring chances. He was one of the best playmakers I've ever seen at the NCAA level.

This team now has 5-6 young players with very, very high hockey sense. You've got Stepan, Ansimov and McDonagh, all of whom are well above average, and then you have Callahan, Sauer, and Hagelin, who are just off the charts there. Richards is obviously a very intelligent player himself, as is Gaborik, and then you've got the Girardis, Dubinskys, Fedotenkos, and now even Del Zottos who are all solid in that department as well. Kudos to the Rangers. They've turned a long-term embarrassing organizational weakness into a burgeoning strength.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
'On pace' and 'potential' are wonderful words, but they don't mean a whole lot.

Until he actually reaches those numbers it's all just a pipe-dream.
I never use the "on pace" argument for guys I don't watch religiously. For example, I stated with confidence early in the season that Giroux would be a top point producer in the league this year, not only because of his "hot start" at the time, but because I'd been watching him for two years and knew he was special. The usual suspects came out with the "so-and-so goon guy has 3 points in 2 games so he'll no doubt score 123 points this year.. lulz." Now I realize that is a normal reaction because HFers are notorious for taking stats (often very limited) and making bold predictions based on that alone.

All I'm saying is I've now watched enough of Stepan (last year and this year) that I can see he is also a special player his current stats are not an aberration by any means.

If I watch a player closely enough and am comfortable that the points he's putting up are legit, I have no problem using the "on pace for" argument. Stepan fits the bill.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote