HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Management thread 3.0 (All GM/Coaching discussion here)

Old
12-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
BS on the Vincent thing. Winnipeg told him not to talk to anybody in the media about the Montreal coaching position.

Quote:
Vincent a répondu aux questions du collègue Marc-Antoine Godin, de La Presse, en début de semaine alors que les responsables des communications des Jets avaient pourtant été clairs avec le personnel du club quant à la consigne de ne pas commenter la nomination du nouvel entraîneur-chef unilingue anglophone à Montréal.

Le résultat est que Vincent ne donnera aucune entrevue lors du passage du CH à Winnipeg et lors de la visite de l'équipe à Montréal au début janvier.
http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...at-115591.html

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Not The One

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
Supposedly, they issued directives to Pascal Vincent to not do any interview in french, only english.
Not "supposedly".

They canceled all already scheduled interviews between Claude Noel and the francophone media, and have barred all media contact with Pascal Vincent. Good job Jets, way to please YOUR fanbase.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Intense

Ok guys, here are the facts according to the french CBC.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...ue-jeudi.shtml

Pascal Vincent won't give any interview, wether in french OR english.

Claude Noel, who can speak french, won't give any interview in french to the CBC or any media. He will be available for interview but only if done in english.

Wow..

Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
ClasslessGuy

Because they know that montreal media will jump on him about the bilingual coach thing that's it... I don't see a big drama here...

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Because they know that montreal media will jump on him about the bilingual coach thing that's it... I don't see a big drama here...
Yeah 'cause if we get a bilingual coach and forbid him to give english interviews that would go over reeeeeeeal well.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:47 AM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
Ok guys, here are the facts according to the french CBC.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...ue-jeudi.shtml

Pascal Vincent won't give any interview, wether in french OR english.

Claude Noel, who can speak french, won't give any interview in french to the CBC or any media. He will be available for interview but only if done in english.

Wow..
Read the effing article. He won't give French interviews because he isn't comfortable speaking the language, not because he was ordered to not give French interviews. Jeeze, talk about needing reading comprehension.

"Il pourrait s'exprimer sur le sujet quand le CH sera à Winnipeg, mais pas en français. Il estime en fait que sa connaissance de la langue ne le rend pas assez à l'aise pour affronter les caméras. D'ailleurs, il est déjà assez rare de le voir parler français devant des hordes de journalistes. Il préfère le faire dans des entretiens privés."

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Gauthier is next in line to be fired. No way his gonna save his ass this time.

He had a serious brain cramp by firing Martin at this very stage of the season and replacing him with Cunneyworth (and Carrière).
How is that a "brain crap"?

I'd rather see the coach fired than making some dumb trade in the middle of a losing streak. A ton of teams fired a coach and turned their season around.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:52 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
How is that a "brain crap"?
Because the coach really wasn't the problem and it was his juggling that kept the team afloat, and he was replaced by a guy who's in way over his head.

Basically, this decision sunk the Habs' season.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Habitant#1

Lame duck coach, lame duck GM leads to lame duck performances.

How can we expect the team to play with confidence when they all know their bosses are going to get fired at the end of the season? To be confident, a team needs a leader with a plan that instills confidence in everyone involved. It is impossible to win in different circumstance.

Molson needs to name his new GM and staff immediately if this season needs to go anywhere. Let this new persons vision and leadership flow down the organisation right down to the players and then the fans.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:58 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Yeah 'cause if we get a bilingual coach and forbid him to give english interviews that would go over reeeeeeeal well.
What's so hard to understand ? They don't to put vincent in the bilingual coach debate end of the story. Did boston let chara talk to the media after the incident? No. You don't put people in those situation. This situation has nothing to do with french or english...

Old
12-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Habs05

If people want to do a peaceful manifestation in front of the bell centre it's ok. I see nothing wrong it's a free country and it's peaceful, everyone can have their opinion. The Habs are becoming more "anglophone" every day. First the regular players, then the captain and now the coach. Fans are saying enough is enough.

Do I agree with this? Yes and No honestly.

You can't denied that:
-French has regressed in Montreal.
-The same thing happened with the CDP, and key federal jobs (that used to be bilingual).

You can see the pattern here and people are sick of that and it's understandable. The francophones aren't feel respected in their own country (especially in their province).

However:
-Give Randy Cunneyworth a little chance.
-Number 1 priority is winning.

PS: Winnipeg coaching staff being forbiden to comment in french is just stupid. As far as I know the Habs don't forbid english they just want to add french as well.

Last edited by Habs05: 12-22-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Habs05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
BigHab*

Since there is a lot of speculation going on here as to what each of the those management persons might have been thinking before and during Cunneyworth's hiring, let me throw a different thought out to you.

Perhaps this is not as chaotic as it may seem after all. Perhaps all three knew exactly what they were doing before the decision came of an interim coach came down. Perhaps all the possible reactionary situations were actually discussed between Molson, Gauthier, and Cunneyworth. What if Cunneyworth accepted the position just for the rest of the season? Maybe that is why he never said he was going to take lessons because he knew and had accepted that he would not be head coach after the season was done. And just maybe, it was agreed upon that he would take the rest of the season to gain some experience so that he could move forward in his career as a head coach in the NHL. It is possible that Molson has been completely transperant with Gauthier regarding the management of the team and it may well be that he has been offered a position in the organization if things do not turn around. It may also be that his termination, at the end of the season, has been discussed as well. You may not agree with any of this, and that is fine, however, everything else I have read on here is also pure speculation on the part of fans.

One thing I do know is this....Geoff Molson is first a businessman. He has two great products that he wants to sell. I don't believe he wants either one to suffer. He is, by no means, a stupid man and most assuredly thought things through before the decisions came down. He has investors on his side who are there because they believe in his vision, rich investors who I am sure would not throw money at something they did not believe was worthwhile nor put money into the hands of someone they would view as incompetent. So, is there a plan? There probably is...and it may well be that this was simply one reaction they considered would happen if they executed their plan. Molson grew up with the Habs and knows full well how many feel about them as a tradition, institution, etc.

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:15 PM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs05 View Post
If people want to do a pacific manifestation in front of the bell centre it's ok. I see nothing wrong it's a free country and it's pacific, everyone can have their opinion. The Habs are becoming more "anglophone" every day. First the regular players, then the captain and now the coach. Fans are saying enough is enough.

You can't denied that:
-The same thing happened with the CDP, and key feredal jobs (that used to be bilingual).

You can see the pattern here and people are sick of that and it's understandable. The francophones aren't feel respected in their own country (especially in their province).

However:

PS: Winnipeg coaching staff being forbiden to comment in french is just stupid. As far as I know the Habs don't forbid english they just want to add french as well.

THIS IS HOCKEY!!! NOT ****IN POLITICS!!

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:17 PM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
If people want to do a pacific manifestation in front of the bell centre it's ok. I see nothing wrong it's a free country and it's pacific, everyone can have their opinion. The Habs are becoming more "anglophone" every day. First the regular players, then the captain and now the coach. Fans are saying enough is enough.

You can't denied that:
-The same thing happened with the CDP, and key feredal jobs (that used to be bilingual).

However:

vincent wont't give any interviews at all there is no langage debate

Old
12-22-2011, 01:19 PM
number72

Anyone else notice just how well the team is doing now that JM is gone?

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Maybe you can't read French, but the protest is not against Cunneyworth at all, so everybody here are raging for nothing and are looking like fools.

P.S. I think they have valid point about the Winnipeg Jets. If it's true that they are forbidding Pascal Vincent of giving interviews in French, even to French Canadian medias, then that's completely stupid and it should be denounced by those who don't have double standards and who think hockey teams should not have language policies, right?
Not true about Vincent. He was on rds speaking French just a couple nights ago.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:

You can't denied that:

However:

What this gentleman here ****ing said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
THIS IS HOCKEY!!! NOT ****IN POLITICS!!
Unreal.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Yeah brilliant move wasn't it?

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:

You can't denied that:

However:

1 - the fact that French has regressed in Montreal or in federal offices has nothing to do with The Montreal Canadiens HOCKEY club - go protest somewhere else.
2 - the Winnipeg assistant coach isn't commenting the Montreal absurdity - in French or English
3 - the Winnipeg head coach is more confortable in English... it's his choice and I hope he doesn't care what seperatists think in Quebec of his choice of language during a press conference
4 - how many protests remain pacifist (or pacific if you prefer)? It's a black eye waiting to happen.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yeah brilliant move wasn't it?
Claim by association: you put 2 and 2 together, but it's what you want to see, rather than reality.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
4 - how many protests remain pacifist (or pacific if you prefer)? It's a black eye waiting to happen.
Need to buy some eggs.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Claim by association: you put 2 and 2 together, but it's what you want to see, rather than reality.
Whatever. Coach clearly wasn't the problem. I don't know how you can't see that to be honest. And they've looked worse in the last 3 games than they did under Martin.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:36 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Team was awful before he got fired. Team has been awful since he's been fired. Really, it's still his team and his system. It will take a while to de-program the damage done.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:36 PM
MJN79

At this rate, our friend Boucher might be available soon in Tampa.

MJN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN79 View Post
At this rate, our friend Boucher might be available soon in Tampa.
I doubt Yzerman fires him. They badly need a goalie

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote