HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do opposing teams have the book on Pavelec in the shootout?

Old
12-21-2011, 03:51 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Do opposing teams have the book on Pavelec in the shootout?

In last night’s shootout loss to the Islanders, I couldn’t help but notice the similarities between the two goals scored by the Islanders. Both Michael Grabner and Frans Nielsen, deked to the right (the goaltender’s left) putting the puck high over the shoulder of netminder Ondrej Pavelec. While Pavelec made many spectacular saves last night, keeping the Jets in a game they had no business being in, the Jets were eventually ousted in a (skills competition) shootout.

This season Winnipeg has a record of 1-2 in the shootout. Of more concern, at least with respect this article, is the shaky play of Pavelec in the shootout. The Czech netminder has allowed four goals on seven shots for a save percentage of .429—small sample size, I know, but relevant nonetheless.

Throughout his career, the shootout has not been Pavelec’s strong suit. He has an unimpressive record of 4 wins and 10 losses and has allowed 17 goals on 40 shots; that results in a save percentage of .575. His .625 save percentage last season ranked 42nd among all NHL netminders.

To read the rest of the article, click here.

Feel free to post your thoughts on the Jets shootout below.

ICdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
On one hand, those numbers aren't really big enough to make a difference. There are too many variables to really "have the book" on a goalie, and considering the amount of shootouts we get into and depending on whether or not Pav is even in net...I don't think it's worth looking at as something that could effect our playoff chances.

On the other hand, it seems like if they can figure all that out with stats, surely they'd be able to help coach Pav on doing better in the shootout? If opposing players can learn to beat him, I think he should be able to change whatever he has to in his game to shut them down?

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
It's funny you should post this.

The first thing I posted in the post game thread after the game was the following:

Quote:
+ OVERTIME: The book on Pavelec? Shoot high glove side everytime. He goes down in butterfly early everytime, and at his height he can usually get away with it, but he's been weak high glove all season.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Captain Clutch 13

On the second shot the shooter didnt even fake and Pavelec goes down right aways surrendering the top of the net. He's just not strong in shootouts/breakaways, Im not sure why when you look at how good he is in games. I wouldnt get too held up about it, Price and Luongo are both real bad in shootouts and yet are obviously two elite goalies in the league.

Captain Clutch 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
Hey I love Ondrej don't misunderstand, but the book IS out on him. If a challenged man such as myself can figure it out, I'm sure the pro's have too.

So can you switch goalies for shoot outs? lol

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Samcanadian

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...2259127/print/

Johan Hedberg is the best at shootouts in the past decade.

I'll take Pavelec as my starter, thank you very much.

Old
12-21-2011, 05:07 PM
tbcwpg

I think the Jets were more unfortunate than anything, Nielsen literally does that move EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's incredibly tough to stop, and when he misses, it's usually because he's screwed it up somewhere and either tries to compensate or lose the puck.

High glove is a weakness of many goalies now, they go down really early and play butterfly

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
It would be a very small book if there was one.

"High glove side" wouldn't take too many pages methinks.

I still love Pav's though, he's definitely the #1 for this team going forward. I'd be scared to think what some of the scores would be without him in net.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:17 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Funny, high blocker was his weakness last year. I wouldn't say either side is really his weakness, just going down too soon and not staying upright. He has seemed to go backwards in his development in regards to his breakaways/shootouts. It worries me because he was making huge strides last year and while he has made strides this year, I feel he's taken a step back in this regard.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:20 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
High glove side I'm pretty sure the entire NHL know this

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

I love Pavelec. He's young and he's already impressive. Obviously he needs to work on shootout scenarios but more than that his attitude whenever I hear him on the radio or TV reminds me of Teemu Selannes when he was with the original jets, just a positive and totally upbeat sounding classy guy. I'd hate to hear rumours of us trading him considering how he's saved the jets butts in so many games.

I wonder though if it would be an interesting experiment to put Mason on for shootouts.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Samcanadian

It'd be a lot of pressure on Mason. I mean, what if he lets in his first 4 shots too? What then?

Too small of a sample size. Pavs might start heating up in the shootout all of a sudden.

If we were going to a shootout every third night, I think it'd be worth taking a look at...but it doesn't happen nearly enough to start messing with goalie chemistry and potentially upsetting someone, regardless of what a team player they might be.

Old
12-22-2011, 05:06 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Seems likely that scouting says go high glove side.

I think almost all of the goals scored against him on the shootout went there so far this year.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
A 5 minute shootout to end every practice wouldn't hurt. Maybe Flaherty should take some time and give him some tips. He plays amazingly well during regulation though.

12-22-2011, 05:24 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
A 5 minute shootout to end every practice wouldn't hurt. Maybe Flaherty should take some time and give him some tips. He plays amazingly well during regulation though.
Do they not do this anyways? I would think every team would take a few minutes out of practice to do shootouts. I've always heard that coaches use the most recent practices to help decide who goes in them.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Do they not do this anyways? I would think every team would take a few minutes out of practice to do shootouts. I've always heard that coaches use the most recent practices to help decide who goes in them.
Maybe they do, not sure. WpgMikos do you know if they practice it?

Hammer Slammer is online now   Reply With Quote