HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Montoya Re-Assigned to ECHL

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2005, 03:44 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Montoya Re-Assigned to ECHL

http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/

Quote:
Also, rookie goaltender Al Montoya has been reassigned to the Wolf Pack's ECHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers, on a conditioning assignment.
This confirms what Calder said in the previous thread. Hopefully he's right and its only for the weekend. Its not like he was having any trouble in the AHL.

Old
12-08-2005, 05:15 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88

This confirms what Calder said in the previous thread. Hopefully he's right and its only for the weekend. Its not like he was having any trouble in the AHL.
Well he's recouperating from a broken finger, so this is the rehab stint, I guess....

Old
12-08-2005, 06:01 PM
xander

my guess is that he'll be down there until they feel his finger is fully rehabbed. It's not like he's being demoted or anything.

Old
12-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Edge

That and the level of competition is a notch below the AHL so it also gives him a chance to possibly play a game, get rid of the rust and then return to the AHL.

When he went down he was on fire in the AHL (one reason why I say that we all wait and see how the goaltending situation plays out in the long run before declaring anyone the franchise or trading anyone).

Scary to think what he would have done with Labarbera's old defense in front of him.

Old
12-08-2005, 08:56 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
That and the level of competition is a notch below the AHL so it also gives him a chance to possibly play a game, get rid of the rust and then return to the AHL.

When he went down he was on fire in the AHL (one reason why I say that we all wait and see how the goaltending situation plays out in the long run before declaring anyone the franchise or trading anyone).

Scary to think what he would have done with Labarbera's old defense in front of him.

I agree. Montoya could end up being the better goaltender even as great as Lundqvist has been.

Old
12-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
How has his progress been since he was drafted?

Old
12-08-2005, 09:45 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Last year was a bit of a down year for him at Michigan, but it might've due to lack of competition. This year he was playing solidly for the Hartford Wolfpack (Rangers AHL affiliate) and he was 5-1 with a 2.50 GAA and an excellent .929 SP. He was playing lights out (one game facing 50 shots and allowing 1 goal, and another where he faced near 50 and allowed 2) until he broke his finger. He's been out since and has just reassigned to the ECHL affiliate for a conditioning stint. Should be back in Hartford once hes 100% healthy. Needs to work on his focus it seems. Games where he faced a ton of shots he didn't have problems. Games where it was quiet, he had some trouble. That'll come with experience one would hope.

Old
12-08-2005, 09:47 PM
DarthSather99

His last year in college (last year) he was described as inconsistent. He looked brilliant in some games and average in most. He didn't justify his #6 pick overall. Some people said he wasn't challanged enough in college and was getting bored. The answer was for him to turn pro. Early this year he seemed to struggle also. The last few weeks he seemed to turn a corner and dominate games. I think in a two game span recently he faced over 100 shots and gave up something like 3 goals. Goaltenders tend to take longer to develope but Montoya is a superb athlete, is aggressve and good positionally. He needs to work on his mental game, staying sharp and into the game even though he's not getting tested for good amounts of time.

Old
12-09-2005, 01:24 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

Also absolutely agree. There's been too much talk about trading him away for this or that savior. He was playing great before his injury. We need to see what he can do before we think about trading him and we need more depth at the position too.

Old
12-09-2005, 07:09 AM
Ocelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88

Good stuff. Hope to see him back in the AHL soon.

Old
12-09-2005, 07:29 AM
TexMurphy

It really will be interesting to see how the rangers handle it when he is ready to step up to the NHL.

I think his first NHL season wount be next year but the year after that. By that time Henke will be a given starter. I dont think Al will mind doing backup his first year. But then what happens then? Do you drop the ice time from your nr1 top 5 in the league starter inorder to give Al ice time?

Shall be really interesting to see.

Another issue is how high will Henkes salary be once he is off his rookie contract? If he is 26 and a top 5 goalie in the league he wount be cheap.

Tex

Old
12-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMurphy
It really will be interesting to see how the rangers handle it when he is ready to step up to the NHL.

I think his first NHL season wount be next year but the year after that. By that time Henke will be a given starter. I dont think Al will mind doing backup his first year. But then what happens then? Do you drop the ice time from your nr1 top 5 in the league starter inorder to give Al ice time?

Another issue is how high will Henkes salary be once he is off his rookie contract? If he is 26 and a top 5 goalie in the league he wount be cheap.

Tex
I don't know all the details of the new CBA, but I would doubt that coming off his first contract he will have much leverage (unless he's willing to go back to Sweden and be a big fish in a little pond). Essentially, if they can't reach an agreement on a new contract, he will get a 10% raise.

Old
12-10-2005, 01:35 PM
cringer

Quote:
If Montoya proves that he's a #1 goalie on the NHL level... he won't be content as a back-up for long. Maybe a season.

He'll probably wind up demanding a trade to a team where he can be the starter.

That is, unless Renney wants to roll 2 goalies ala Minnesota.

Old
12-10-2005, 01:58 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cringer
If Montoya proves that he's a #1 goalie on the NHL level... he won't be content as a back-up for long. Maybe a season.

He'll probably wind up demanding a trade to a team where he can be the starter.

That is, unless Renney wants to roll 2 goalies ala Minnesota.
They've been rolling 2 goalies this year, so I don't see why they wouldn't be inclined to do the same when montoya comes up.

If/When that happens montoya will be anywhere from 22-24 years old. He won't have the leverage to demand a trade.
The best thing that montoya might have going for him is that lundqvist is going to hit unrestricted free agency in 2009 when Montoya will be only 24 with 3 years untill he becomes unrestriceted. If Montoya comes up in 2 years and matches Lundqvist (a HUGE if) then I wouldn't be suprised if the rangers delt lundqvist before he hit free agency.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Tex
so you're saying that Al probably won't be on the big squad until the '07-'08 season and would be ok with a backup role. i'm inclined to agree, unless of course he really shines later on this season. the point is that if you are right there isn't really a concern until the summer of 2008. that's quite a way off at this point. for now i'm content to have 2 possible #1 studs in the fold and don't see the need to hurry to move either of them.

Old
12-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
Also absolutely agree. There's been too much talk about trading him away for this or that savior. He was playing great before his injury. We need to see what he can do before we think about trading him and we need more depth at the position too.
Personally I don't really care who wins (him or Lundqvist) what I want is for my team to have the better of the two, and that will become at least somewhat more clear in time.

People talk too much about trades and value, but at the end of the day any GM wants the best player for his team. Having the depth to make moves, regardless of value, is secondary. Important, yes, but still secondary.

Old
12-11-2005, 10:03 AM
cringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
They've been rolling 2 goalies this year, so I don't see why they wouldn't be inclined to do the same when montoya comes up.

If/When that happens montoya will be anywhere from 22-24 years old. He won't have the leverage to demand a trade.
The best thing that montoya might have going for him is that lundqvist is going to hit unrestricted free agency in 2009 when Montoya will be only 24 with 3 years untill he becomes unrestriceted. If Montoya comes up in 2 years and matches Lundqvist (a HUGE if) then I wouldn't be suprised if the rangers delt lundqvist before he hit free agency.
Yep that's a possibility too. The one thing I don't see is both Montoya and Lundqvist staying with the Rangers long term. If they both live up to their potential (not now but in years to come) I think one will be moved.

If Lundqvist does really bloom into an top caliber NHL goalie, I think the Rangers should pay him for the long haul and deal Montoya, because Montoya will be more attractive being younger and farther away from free agency.

Of course like you say... it's all a big IF whether Montoya (and Lundqvist too for that matter) turn out to be top echelon goalies. Montoya's still in the minors and Lundqvist, as good as he's played over all, is still new.

Closed Thread