HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Montoya Re-Assigned to ECHL

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-08-2005, 03:44 PM
  #1
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Montoya Re-Assigned to ECHL

http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/

Quote:
Also, rookie goaltender Al Montoya has been reassigned to the Wolf Pack's ECHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers, on a conditioning assignment.
This confirms what Calder said in the previous thread. Hopefully he's right and its only for the weekend. Its not like he was having any trouble in the AHL.

FLYLine24* is offline  
Old
12-08-2005, 05:15 PM
  #2
RothmanHockey
Registered User
 
RothmanHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Port Chester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,666
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/



This confirms what Calder said in the previous thread. Hopefully he's right and its only for the weekend. Its not like he was having any trouble in the AHL.
Well he's recouperating from a broken finger, so this is the rehab stint, I guess....

RothmanHockey is offline  
Old
12-08-2005, 06:01 PM
  #3
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
my guess is that he'll be down there until they feel his finger is fully rehabbed. It's not like he's being demoted or anything.

xander is offline  
Old
12-08-2005, 07:55 PM
  #4
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
That and the level of competition is a notch below the AHL so it also gives him a chance to possibly play a game, get rid of the rust and then return to the AHL.

When he went down he was on fire in the AHL (one reason why I say that we all wait and see how the goaltending situation plays out in the long run before declaring anyone the franchise or trading anyone).

Scary to think what he would have done with Labarbera's old defense in front of him.

Edge is offline  
Old
12-08-2005, 08:56 PM
  #5
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
That and the level of competition is a notch below the AHL so it also gives him a chance to possibly play a game, get rid of the rust and then return to the AHL.

When he went down he was on fire in the AHL (one reason why I say that we all wait and see how the goaltending situation plays out in the long run before declaring anyone the franchise or trading anyone).

Scary to think what he would have done with Labarbera's old defense in front of him.

I agree. Montoya could end up being the better goaltender even as great as Lundqvist has been.

DarthSather99 is offline  
Old
12-08-2005, 09:26 PM
  #6
Jazz
Registered User
 
Jazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
How has his progress been since he was drafted?

Jazz is offline  
Old
12-08-2005, 09:45 PM
  #7
romba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
Last year was a bit of a down year for him at Michigan, but it might've due to lack of competition. This year he was playing solidly for the Hartford Wolfpack (Rangers AHL affiliate) and he was 5-1 with a 2.50 GAA and an excellent .929 SP. He was playing lights out (one game facing 50 shots and allowing 1 goal, and another where he faced near 50 and allowed 2) until he broke his finger. He's been out since and has just reassigned to the ECHL affiliate for a conditioning stint. Should be back in Hartford once hes 100% healthy. Needs to work on his focus it seems. Games where he faced a ton of shots he didn't have problems. Games where it was quiet, he had some trouble. That'll come with experience one would hope.

romba is offline  
Old
12-08-2005, 09:47 PM
  #8
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
His last year in college (last year) he was described as inconsistent. He looked brilliant in some games and average in most. He didn't justify his #6 pick overall. Some people said he wasn't challanged enough in college and was getting bored. The answer was for him to turn pro. Early this year he seemed to struggle also. The last few weeks he seemed to turn a corner and dominate games. I think in a two game span recently he faced over 100 shots and gave up something like 3 goals. Goaltenders tend to take longer to develope but Montoya is a superb athlete, is aggressve and good positionally. He needs to work on his mental game, staying sharp and into the game even though he's not getting tested for good amounts of time.

DarthSather99 is offline  
Old
12-09-2005, 01:24 AM
  #9
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
That and the level of competition is a notch below the AHL so it also gives him a chance to possibly play a game, get rid of the rust and then return to the AHL.

When he went down he was on fire in the AHL (one reason why I say that we all wait and see how the goaltending situation plays out in the long run before declaring anyone the franchise or trading anyone).

Scary to think what he would have done with Labarbera's old defense in front of him.
Also absolutely agree. There's been too much talk about trading him away for this or that savior. He was playing great before his injury. We need to see what he can do before we think about trading him and we need more depth at the position too.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
12-09-2005, 07:09 AM
  #10
Ocelot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/



This confirms what Calder said in the previous thread. Hopefully he's right and its only for the weekend. Its not like he was having any trouble in the AHL.

Good stuff. Hope to see him back in the AHL soon.

Ocelot is offline  
Old
12-09-2005, 07:29 AM
  #11
TexMurphy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 164
vCash: 500
It really will be interesting to see how the rangers handle it when he is ready to step up to the NHL.

I think his first NHL season wount be next year but the year after that. By that time Henke will be a given starter. I dont think Al will mind doing backup his first year. But then what happens then? Do you drop the ice time from your nr1 top 5 in the league starter inorder to give Al ice time?

Shall be really interesting to see.

Another issue is how high will Henkes salary be once he is off his rookie contract? If he is 26 and a top 5 goalie in the league he wount be cheap.

Tex

TexMurphy is offline  
Old
12-09-2005, 05:49 PM
  #12
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMurphy
It really will be interesting to see how the rangers handle it when he is ready to step up to the NHL.

I think his first NHL season wount be next year but the year after that. By that time Henke will be a given starter. I dont think Al will mind doing backup his first year. But then what happens then? Do you drop the ice time from your nr1 top 5 in the league starter inorder to give Al ice time?

Shall be really interesting to see.

Another issue is how high will Henkes salary be once he is off his rookie contract? If he is 26 and a top 5 goalie in the league he wount be cheap.

Tex
I don't know all the details of the new CBA, but I would doubt that coming off his first contract he will have much leverage (unless he's willing to go back to Sweden and be a big fish in a little pond). Essentially, if they can't reach an agreement on a new contract, he will get a 10% raise.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
12-10-2005, 01:35 PM
  #13
cringer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMurphy
It really will be interesting to see how the rangers handle it when he is ready to step up to the NHL.
If Montoya proves that he's a #1 goalie on the NHL level... he won't be content as a back-up for long. Maybe a season.

He'll probably wind up demanding a trade to a team where he can be the starter.

That is, unless Renney wants to roll 2 goalies ala Minnesota.

cringer is offline  
Old
12-10-2005, 01:58 PM
  #14
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cringer
If Montoya proves that he's a #1 goalie on the NHL level... he won't be content as a back-up for long. Maybe a season.

He'll probably wind up demanding a trade to a team where he can be the starter.

That is, unless Renney wants to roll 2 goalies ala Minnesota.
They've been rolling 2 goalies this year, so I don't see why they wouldn't be inclined to do the same when montoya comes up.

If/When that happens montoya will be anywhere from 22-24 years old. He won't have the leverage to demand a trade.
The best thing that montoya might have going for him is that lundqvist is going to hit unrestricted free agency in 2009 when Montoya will be only 24 with 3 years untill he becomes unrestriceted. If Montoya comes up in 2 years and matches Lundqvist (a HUGE if) then I wouldn't be suprised if the rangers delt lundqvist before he hit free agency.

xander is offline  
Old
12-10-2005, 02:27 PM
  #15
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMurphy
It really will be interesting to see how the rangers handle it when he is ready to step up to the NHL.

I think his first NHL season wount be next year but the year after that. By that time Henke will be a given starter. I dont think Al will mind doing backup his first year. But then what happens then? Do you drop the ice time from your nr1 top 5 in the league starter inorder to give Al ice time?

Shall be really interesting to see.

Another issue is how high will Henkes salary be once he is off his rookie contract? If he is 26 and a top 5 goalie in the league he wount be cheap.

Tex
so you're saying that Al probably won't be on the big squad until the '07-'08 season and would be ok with a backup role. i'm inclined to agree, unless of course he really shines later on this season. the point is that if you are right there isn't really a concern until the summer of 2008. that's quite a way off at this point. for now i'm content to have 2 possible #1 studs in the fold and don't see the need to hurry to move either of them.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
12-10-2005, 11:18 PM
  #16
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
Also absolutely agree. There's been too much talk about trading him away for this or that savior. He was playing great before his injury. We need to see what he can do before we think about trading him and we need more depth at the position too.
Personally I don't really care who wins (him or Lundqvist) what I want is for my team to have the better of the two, and that will become at least somewhat more clear in time.

People talk too much about trades and value, but at the end of the day any GM wants the best player for his team. Having the depth to make moves, regardless of value, is secondary. Important, yes, but still secondary.

Edge is offline  
Old
12-11-2005, 10:03 AM
  #17
cringer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
They've been rolling 2 goalies this year, so I don't see why they wouldn't be inclined to do the same when montoya comes up.

If/When that happens montoya will be anywhere from 22-24 years old. He won't have the leverage to demand a trade.
The best thing that montoya might have going for him is that lundqvist is going to hit unrestricted free agency in 2009 when Montoya will be only 24 with 3 years untill he becomes unrestriceted. If Montoya comes up in 2 years and matches Lundqvist (a HUGE if) then I wouldn't be suprised if the rangers delt lundqvist before he hit free agency.
Yep that's a possibility too. The one thing I don't see is both Montoya and Lundqvist staying with the Rangers long term. If they both live up to their potential (not now but in years to come) I think one will be moved.

If Lundqvist does really bloom into an top caliber NHL goalie, I think the Rangers should pay him for the long haul and deal Montoya, because Montoya will be more attractive being younger and farther away from free agency.

Of course like you say... it's all a big IF whether Montoya (and Lundqvist too for that matter) turn out to be top echelon goalies. Montoya's still in the minors and Lundqvist, as good as he's played over all, is still new.

cringer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.