HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Pre GDT: Blues vs Avalanches

Old
12-22-2011, 12:11 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
No, but it cut down our puck possession. They looked exhausted out there. Thank god the SOB line continues to impress.
I agree, with both your points actually, but I think it's only fair to point out that the Perron/Berglund/Stewart line had some very impressive puck possession shifts of their own where they penned the other team into their own zone and created some pretty dangerous scoring chances.

They didn't dominate by any means, but even with a tough defensive matchup they still held their own out there tonight. I thought Perron was dangerous with the puck, but a little weak without it (in support/positionally), that Stewart had his best game this year (with and without the puck), and that Berglund had some truly excellent moments mixed in with some real poor moments (notably the really bad giveaway that led to one of the extended shifts where his line was hemmed in their own zone, a slow backcheck that led to his man getting a clean break in on net, and the awful penalty at the end of the game). Personally, I think that line is coming along well all things considered.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:17 AM
TerminatorBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
That Berglund and Stewart line is not working... it is better with Perron, but I feel Perron is going to drag along with their dead weight.

May be my frustration, but I am ready to see Berglund and Stewart leave St Louis. We need some goal scorers desperately.
Frustration, but if we are dealing these guys then it had better not be for Kulemin, Joey Crabb..etc we need an elite player....Zach Parise, E.Staal, Bobby Ryan and if Ottawa tanks then Jason Spezza might want out. All those players are very doubtful, I know.

BTW isn't there a date coming up soon for Matthew Hulsizer to buy the team?

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Just watched the game on DVR. How was that last one called a goal? It looked pretty clear to me that the net was off before the puck went in on the overhead view. But above all, there was no on ice call for a goal. That was I don't understand the most. The ref said "the call on the ice stands, good goal." So what gives? There was no conclusive evidence that it was a good goal, from what I could see. The crossbar was visibly displaced before you could see white between the puck and redline, I re watched it quite a few times, and we simply got screwed. I hate how that's the GWG. Terrible call/luck.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:37 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
If you can Easton, watch that game again. I paid very close attention to Stewart this game, and was not impressed. While his effort in the corners was much better, he also probably had the most turnovers. Shattenkirk had quite a few as well. I think Perron had an off night away from the puck, but with it he was dangerous. Stewart just doesn't fit on a line with Berglund. His effort, combined with Berglund's lack of speed, make for a lazy looking line.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:48 AM
h22prelude93

Stewart just cannot win around here can he? I thought he had an excellent game. Lead the team with seven shots on goal, and what do ya know one went in! He played physical in front of the net, and seem to be really excited to play against his former team. I think the biggest knock on Stewart this season has been his confidence. I'm going to go ahead and predict that Stewart goes on a huge scoring tear now with everyone around here bad mouthing him.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:58 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
I'm not saying we should get rid of him, but he does need to step it up. I'd love to have him if he continues scoring around 30 goals a season. Look at the depth on the right side next year.

Oshie
Stewart
Tarasenko
D'agostini

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dangles View Post
Just watched the game on DVR. How was that last one called a goal? It looked pretty clear to me that the net was off before the puck went in on the overhead view. But above all, there was no on ice call for a goal. That was I don't understand the most. The ref said "the call on the ice stands, good goal." So what gives? There was no conclusive evidence that it was a good goal, from what I could see. The crossbar was visibly displaced before you could see white between the puck and redline, I re watched it quite a few times, and we simply got screwed. I hate how that's the GWG. Terrible call/luck.
Nevermind, apparently there is a rule that if the defending team knocks there own net off it can still be ruled a goal even if the puck wasn't in before the net was off.

Rule 63.6 Awarded goal

Kind of weird rule, but it appears it was the right call, which sucks still.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Too much Pie make my stomach hurt

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:02 AM
execwrite

Saw the first ten minutes and the third period.

Thought we played our game very well. Just a fluky loss. First goal glanced in off of Petro's skate, third goal came when he flopped and sprawled and the second one was Elliott's unexplainable giveaway.

Created lots of scoring chances in the third period and could have tied the game several times.

We play such low-scoring games that a loss like this will happen once in a while. Not much margin for error.

But I liked the effort.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Robb_K

Still, The Blues absolutely HAVE to start scoring on the PP.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:06 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I thought the Blues have regressed a little in their last 2-3 games. They beat Columbus without playing the usual disciplined style. Against Colorado there was some improvement from that game, but still nothing like the Rangers game.

Event though Stewart scored, I thought he looked pretty bad out there. Multiple blind pass turnovers. He's holding his line back and short-circuiting their cycle at times.

These Detroit games coming up are going to be huge measuring sticks.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:26 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I thought the Blues have regressed a little in their last 2-3 games. They beat Columbus without playing the usual disciplined style. Against Colorado there was some improvement from that game, but still nothing like the Rangers game.

Event though Stewart scored, I thought he looked pretty bad out there. Multiple blind pass turnovers. He's holding his line back and short-circuiting their cycle at times.

These Detroit games coming up are going to be huge measuring sticks.
Stewart still isn't where he should be, but I thought his play slightly improved. There was a little more jump in his step, so hopefully that goal can calm him down and start playing like he is capable of.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 07:48 PM
SoulChaser17

Does anyone have a video of Berglund's perfect chance to score that he didn't take?

I'm still mad at him for that.

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulChaser17 View Post
Does anyone have a video of Berglund's perfect chance to score that he didn't take?

I'm still mad at him for that.

when you are stretched out like he was, it's hard to get the leverage required to elevate the puck.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 08:42 PM
SoulChaser17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
when you are stretched out like he was, it's hard to get the leverage required to elevate the puck.
Ah, well I understand that. Honestly I like Berglund, so I'll accept that as a good excuse. But one of the reasons I wanted a video of it was to see it again and how he could have missed that chance, because it looked like he could have easily just slapped the puck in.

So yeah, I would still like a video if anyone has it

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote