HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Gainey now with the team

Old
12-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Ubercron9000

vCash: 500
say good bye to our 1st round pick

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
About 15 minutes ago on FM98,5, Paul Houde said that Bob Gainey had arrived in Winnipeg.

Just in case PG gets fired?
I wish Gainey would go away. As a player he was great. As a GM terrible. And he can take PG with him. Please just step aside!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Healthy scratches tonight.

Eller, Subban and................Pierre Gauthier.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 08:47 PM
GordonGraham

If theres one guy who deserved to lose his job more than JM thats Bob Gainey he ruined this team for a few more years with all the bad moves he made

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Svoboda View Post
People have short memory. We were miserable before Gainey came in. Now is time for a change. But please do not disrespect the guy.
Most angry people who post online comments about others come across as highly disrespectful. Period.

Sports is all about "What have you done for me lately?"

I guess Gainey fails that one for some fans.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:11 PM
shao01

We need a fight right about now.

The bottom six has been playing like ****, the least they can do is stir up some ****.

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Fantastic, bring back Carbonneau!!!!

When you think they would finally turn the page, they start this **** all over again

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Svoboda View Post
People have short memory. We were miserable before Gainey came in. Now is time for a change. But please do not disrespect the guy.
Gainey rode guys who he inherited. Aside from Kovalev, the players that made those teams good were already in Montreal. Gainey inherited Markov, Koivu, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, etc. Andre Savard left Gainey in a position with a strong team with a lot of prospects. Unfortunately Gainey never build a long term core.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Most angry people who post online comments about others come across as highly disrespectful. Period.

No, love Gainey for all that he did while he played for the Habs.

As a GM and as an advisor, he is terrible.

I have a wall that separates the two side of Bob. Bob would help fans of Canadiens around the world if he would just step aside and retire into the sunset like other great Habs stars did.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post

I agree wholeheartedly. This guy is a winner. Period. Took the North Stars to the Stanley Cup, won another as GM of the Dallas Stars (as well as another Stanley Cup berth, and six straight division titles). Saying nothing of the 5 cups he won in this city. He's a legitimate Hall of Famer who was so good at what he did players on BOTH sides of the Atlantic thought he was the best player in the world. So good they made an award to recognize his achievements.

I understand that there is a lot of discontent over some of his personnel decisions. I get it, I don't like the composition of this team either. It's fine to be critical of his decisions, but do so with a modicum of decorum. This organization is the standard when it comes to class in this (or any) league, and that is due to people like Beliveau, Richard, and GAINEY. Some of you little pukes hiding behind your monitors need to learn a little history. And respect.

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Pleky Roks

In all seriousnes...what does it matter who the GM is if the people advising the GM don't know anything about hockey??

Maybe Gainey and Gaulthier make all their own moves and make decisions based on their personal opinions...but I am sure they have scouts and advisors working for them to help make their decision.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:40 PM
OneSharpMarble

Oh god there goes our 1st round pick for Tanguay.

I guess the moron who created this mess gets to come back and have a look after running away?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:40 PM
The Doors

I'm tired of people hating on Bob Gainey. The man had a ****** time in his personal life towards the end of his tenure and it reflected his performance. I have a feeling towards the last season or two Gauthier was doing a lot of Bob's duties.

He brought respect to the Habs, and when he talks people still listen.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
I'm tired of people hating on Bob Gainey. The man had a ****** time in his personal life towards the end of his tenure and it reflected his performance. I have a feeling towards the last season or two Gauthier was doing a lot of Bob's duties.

He brought respect to the Habs, and when he talks people still listen.
I have nothing but admiration for Gainey. He is a great man, one I look up to. His time as GM had good and bad, I think for the most part he set the Habs on the right track but he made a few serious flaws (the Gomez, Gainey and Cammalleri signings/contracts especially). He didn't seem to have any long term vision.

But those signings are sinking us, and at this point I'm afraid Gainey will continue to pursue his vision for the present at the expense of the teams prospects.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Pleky Roks

Gainey was great as far as I'm concerned. Any GM that has the Ballz to let Koivu walk away, not hand over huge money to Souray and Komisarek and then completely re-build the veteran core of the team by aquiring Gomez, Gionta, Gill and Spacek is a great GM to me.

Maybe he signed too many small players when he rebuilt the team....but to have the guts to do all those things and then see the team make it to the ECF in their first season together....I think he's a pretty solid GM in my book!!

The real only stupid thing Gainey done and I don't even consider it that bad, was trading for Gomez. Gomez is a good veteran guy to have in the lineup...he just had an awful contract coming with him for 3 or 4 seasons....but some could turn around and say that Gionta and Cammy wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Gomez.

Gainey was a class act...and he had some personal things happen and he still done a solid job as the GM. If the Habs fired Gaulthier tonight and replaced him with Gainey...I certainly wouldn't be upset!

But I really don't think Gaulthier is the one to blame either. Its the players that have to earn their paychecks and some of the big stars aren't doing that.

Trade Cammalleri ASAP.....get a couple of big 2nd or 3rd line roster players in exchange and move on. Cammy has proven that he is soft, can't handle the pressure and just wants to float around on the ice and snipe the odd goal as long as someone does all the work for him.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Even before this disaster, Gainey FAILED when he got NOTHING for any of our assets at the trade deadline during our "100th" Anniversary year.

Add the fact that he thought his hiring decision of Gauthier and I'm sure his endorsement of martin along with $18 million for Gionta, Gomez and Cammaleri and I fail to understand why should have ANY role in shaping the future of this team.

With all due respect to the man, he was one of the greatest leaders in Habs history and has my up most respect as a player. The irony that he did not mold a team in his own image....tough, mentally tough, leads by example, hard to play against, fearless.

That would be my ONE question to Bob....why?
Gainey made some mistakes towards end of his time here but to not sell on 100th anniversary...I understand why. There was massive hype. You can't sell during that season.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I have nothing but admiration for Gainey. He is a great man, one I look up to. His time as GM had good and bad, I think for the most part he set the Habs on the right track but he made a few serious flaws (the Gomez, Gainey and Cammalleri signings/contracts especially). He didn't seem to have any long term vision.

But those signings are sinking us, and at this point I'm afraid Gainey will continue to pursue his vision for the present at the expense of the teams prospects.
If anything, Gainey was a victim of circumstance. Let's remember his decision in context. True, he ponied up a lot of cash to take on Gomez, Gionta, and Cammie. However, the reason he had to do so is that NO ONE wanted to come here. He got shut out of every major free agent signing since he got here. From Briere down the line, no matter how much money was offered, UFAs would rather play elsewhere for less. There was a less than stellar class that year (Gaborik the only true star, after the Sedins re-signed). He had a truckload of money to spend and needed to rebuild a core from the previous season's fiasco. He took a chance that there would be some chemistry with Gionta, he was wrong. How could he know what would happen to Cammie?

He was over a barrel and did the best he could. I'm not sure there are many people out there who could have done much better.

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:14 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
If anything, Gainey was a victim of circumstance. Let's remember his decision in context. True, he ponied up a lot of cash to take on Gomez, Gionta, and Cammie. However, the reason he had to do so is that NO ONE wanted to come here. He got shut out of every major free agent signing since he got here. From Briere down the line, no matter how much money was offered, UFAs would rather play elsewhere for less. There was a less than stellar class that year (Gaborik the only true star, after the Sedins re-signed). He had a truckload of money to spend and needed to rebuild a core from the previous season's fiasco. He took a chance that there would be some chemistry with Gionta, he was wrong. How could he know what would happen to Cammie?

He was over a barrel and did the best he could. I'm not sure there are many people out there who could have done much better.
I like Gainey's work and apart from the slight necessary overpayment due to UFA and montreal Tax reasons, Gainey got good players. The only real blemish is some trades with ribs(who i wanted gone, but for a better price) and Gomez. Gainey failed to get us the 'big center' we needed and so did every other GM before and after him.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Et le But

Quote:

I basically agree with all of this. The team Gainey put together looked like it was on the way up but I think Gomez and Cammalleri are done here, with them goes Gainey's project.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

I'd argue Gainey had a lot more vision than Gauthier. If Gomez was even NYR material we wouldn't have this problem. One thing to hope he becomes a 1st line center again, but he became a scrub.

Also, out of all people, gainey RARELY traded our prospects. During his time we won calder cup for a reason, because he stockpiled prospects. He wasn't perfect though.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. This guy is a winner. Period. Took the North Stars to the Stanley Cup, won another as GM of the Dallas Stars (as well as another Stanley Cup berth, and six straight division titles). Saying nothing of the 5 cups he won in this city. He's a legitimate Hall of Famer who was so good at what he did players on BOTH sides of the Atlantic thought he was the best player in the world. So good they made an award to recognize his achievements.

I understand that there is a lot of discontent over some of his personnel decisions. I get it, I don't like the composition of this team either. It's fine to be critical of his decisions, but do so with a modicum of decorum. This organization is the standard when it comes to class in this (or any) league, and that is due to people like Beliveau, Richard, and GAINEY. Some of you little pukes hiding behind your monitors need to learn a little history. And respect.
Bravo

I've got at least 20+ 'little pukes' on my ignore list... it at least makes the HF Boards somewhat bearable.

I still refuse to believe the Habs are THIS bad, though.

Tough times indeed.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:23 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'd argue Gainey had a lot more vision than Gauthier. If Gomez was even NYR material we wouldn't have this problem. One thing to hope he becomes a 1st line center again, but he became a scrub.

Also, out of all people, gainey RARELY traded our prospects. During his time we won calder cup for a reason, because he stockpiled prospects. He wasn't perfect though.
Please look at the Hamilton roster which won that Cup.

Besides Price and Lapierre, not much to write home about

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Maybe that's just because it's exactly what he was and is still asked to do.
All the pseudo-geniuses in here just keep overlooking this fact. No matter the GM in place, it's always gonna be about the present unless a season is already lost.

On any given year, he's given a full purse and is expected to use the maximum of it to get the best he can get with the limited opportunities of that given moment, to stack the team with talent depth, to win NOW and everything that comes with that. And those who believe the Habs don't have incentive in winning, and winning big, are the most deluded. It's the most lucrative path they can take. They're already spending close to the max each year, so the only surefire way to improve revenues drastically is playing more home playoff games. That's where the money is.

The most irrealistic of posters around here have never come to terms with the imperative ownership puts on management and simply ignore it because it doesn't fit their bias. Be angry at ownership and the NHL for this imperative of 'win now'.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. This guy is a winner. Period. Took the North Stars to the Stanley Cup, won another as GM of the Dallas Stars (as well as another Stanley Cup berth, and six straight division titles). Saying nothing of the 5 cups he won in this city. He's a legitimate Hall of Famer who was so good at what he did players on BOTH sides of the Atlantic thought
he was the best player in the
world. So good they made an
award to recognize his
achievements.

I understand that there is a lot of discontent over some of his personnel decisions. I get it, I don't
like the composition of this team
either. It's fine to be critical of his
decisions, but do so with a
modicum of decorum. This
organization is the standard when
it comes to class in this (or any)
league, and that is due to people
like Beliveau, Richard, and
GAINEY. Some of you little pukes
hiding behind your monitors need
to learn a little history. And respect.
Beautiful. Well written and accurate. Gainey gave everything to this organization and was never the same after his daughter's death. Thank you for that well written post.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:30 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Beautiful. Well written and accurate. Gainey gave everything to this organization and was never the same after his daughter's death. Thank you for that well written post.
Gainey must be respected as a human being and as a HOFamer. No question.

His DG moves are questionable, almost every single of them.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote