HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Iginla to the Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post

Cap-space? Heard of it? If Flames are looking for picks and prospects like people say here, then it eliminates a lot of teams. Unless they want a major salary dump in return, which I doubt.

I'm not even American

That's cool and all, but you really think that's fun to do like 50 times a year?
I missed your flag. my fault.

Coming from Norway you should appreciate what Western Canada has to offer even more. To each their own I guess, I love the outdoors. Florida has its nice spots, beaches and good weather, but I'd take the cold winters here anyday to be this close to the Rockies.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
I'm not even American

That's cool and all, but you really think that's fun to do like 50 times a year?
I understand there's lots to do in Florida; but aside from recreation, Florida doesn't really offer much else at this point in time.

Iggy's family is here, as is his business interests.

And I seriously do think you're criminally underrating Western Canada here. Just because there isn't beaches doesn't mean there isn't tons to do. Skiing, snowboarding, hiking, climbing, the Okanagan Valley.... the list goes on. You need to understand that there's more to life than just sand and nice weather. And that point is proven by many, many, many people here.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:52 PM
flamesfan5

Quote:

Cap-space? Heard of it? If Flames are looking for picks and prospects like people say here, then it eliminates a lot of teams. Unless they want a major salary dump in return, which I doubt.

I'm not even American

It really is painful talking to people that have no idea what there talking about, in what way does cap space have anything to do with the Flames or this conversation?

Old
12-22-2011, 01:08 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan5 View Post
It really is painful talking to people that have no idea what there talking about, in what way does cap space have anything to do with the Flames or this conversation?
It's quite simple really. Iginla makes $7 Million a year and Calgary LITERALLY has about $13,000 in cap space. The cap is EXTREMELY relevant to the Flames AND this conversation.

Iginla's high salary virtually eliminates half the teams in the NHL from making a bid on him. Most teams don't have $7 Million in cap space and in reality, they won't give up established roster players for him unless you're taking the likes of Gomez back.

Teams will only offer picks/prospects for Iggy. At this point in his career, he's a piece you're adding to win a cup. He's not elite anymore, don't expect anyone to give up a top-level young NHLer, it's not going to happen. Realistically, when you consider cap-space, likelihood of playoffs, and possibility of interest, you're left with maybe 5 teams that would be interested.

Detroit
Florida
Phoenix
St.Louis
Minnesota

Do you realistically think that these teams will trade established NHLers for a year and a half of an over-the-hill Iginla? The fact that you think the cap has nothing to do with this conversation his laughable.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:11 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
It's quite simple really. Iginla makes $7 Million a year and Calgary LITERALLY has about $13,000 in cap space. The cap is EXTREMELY relevant to the Flames AND this conversation.

Iginla's high salary virtually eliminates half the teams in the NHL from making a bid on him. Most teams don't have $7 Million in cap space and in reality, they won't give up established roster players for him unless you're taking the likes of Gomez back.

Teams will only offer picks/prospects for Iggy. At this point in his career, he's a piece you're adding to win a cup. He's not elite anymore, don't expect anyone to give up a top-level young NHLer, it's not going to happen. Realistically, when you consider cap-space, likelihood of playoffs, and possibility of interest, you're left with maybe 5 teams that would be interested.

Detroit
Florida
Phoenix
St.Louis
Minnesota

Do you realistically think that these teams will trade established NHLers for a year and a half of an over-the-hill Iginla? The fact that you think the cap has nothing to do with this conversation his laughable.
6th best in points last year and the most consistent 30+ goal scorer for the last decade. Try again.

Obviously some salary would come back, but you are kidding yourself if you think that a contending team would not **** their pants with joy to land Iginla.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:23 PM
flamesfan5

Quote:

Detroit
Florida
Phoenix
St.Louis
Minnesota

Look at the amount of money that is coming off at the end of the year. Doesn't look like were that worried about his 7million. As the Gnome said, you hve to be kidding me if you don't think more teams wouldn't be in on him now thats laughable. I'm not one of the people saying that he will bring in some insane amount of talent and high end young NHL ready players, but he will for sure bring in a decent return. The Flames will be making so buying splash at the deadline so no cap space is no issue right now.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:26 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:

Detroit
Florida
Phoenix
St.Louis
Minnesota

Iginla is not the type of player that you merely trade for cap space, the guy is a major trading block, if he becomes available teams and espcially contending teams would find a way to clear cap space to get him.

And the bidding for him would be pretty significant.

And no the Flames wouldn't for example take back someone like Gomez, while there would be a probably salary dump it would be a short term salary dump at worst.

And how in the hell is Iginla over the hill? The guy is still putting up points without top shelf talent around him.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:27 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
6th best in points last year and the most consistent 30+ goal scorer for the last decade. Try again.

Obviously some salary would come back, but you are kidding yourself if you think that a contending team would not **** their pants with joy to land Iginla.
I never once said Iginla was bad or anything. He's just not his former PPG self. I realize a lot of teams would welcome Iggy, but realistically because hockey is also a BUSINESS, it's not fiscally smart for most teams to make a bid for him unless Calgary is willing to take a big contract back.

Moving $7 Million in a cap era is not very easy man. How do none of you see that? How the **** do you honestly see a realistic trade happening between Calgary and oh, someone like Philly who has no cap space? You think they'll trade Hartnell to GGY? Briere? Teams don't have the flexibility that they use to. A contract that large is extremely hard to move unless you're totally fine with getting fleeced.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:32 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post
Iginla is not the type of player that you merely trade for cap space, the guy is a major trading block, if he becomes available teams and espcially contending teams would find a way to clear cap space to get him.

And the bidding for him would be pretty significant.

And no the Flames wouldn't for example take back someone like Gomez, while there would be a probably salary dump it would be a short term salary dump at worst.

And how in the hell is Iginla over the hill? The guy is still putting up points without top shelf talent around him.
What talent has Iggy ever even really had around him? And for a guy who averaged 80-90 points a season for most of his career, being on pace for a 55 point season counts as over the hill. I never said he's not a good player, but last year team's would've been more willing to drop decent value on him. This year not so much, he digressing and if you say otherwise you're clueless.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
I never once said Iginla was bad or anything. He's just not his former PPG self. I realize a lot of teams would welcome Iggy, but realistically because hockey is also a BUSINESS, it's not fiscally smart for most teams to make a bid for him unless Calgary is willing to take a big contract back.

Moving $7 Million in a cap era is not very easy man. How do none of you see that? How the **** do you honestly see a realistic trade happening between Calgary and oh, someone like Philly who has no cap space? You think they'll trade Hartnell to GGY? Briere? Teams don't have the flexibility that they use to. A contract that large is extremely hard to move unless you're totally fine with getting fleeced.
I cannot even argue with you because you're in another universe. His cap hit is a concern for teams, but every contending team would find a way to make the cap work so they could have Iginla.

In your post you called him over the hill and regressing WTF?! Do you not even think about what you type? 6th in points last year and 10 years in a row of 30+ goals. Sure seems like he is regressing to me.

He is old, but for a team going for the cup he is ideal and the return would be large.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I cannot even argue with you because you're in another universe. His cap hit is a cocenr for teams, but every contending team would find a way to make the cap work so they could have Iginla.

In your post you called him over the hill and regressing WTF?! Do you not even think about what you type? 6th in points last year and 10 years in a row of 30+ goals. Sure seems like he is regressing to me.

He is old, but for a team going for the cup he is ideal and the rteturn would be large.
Really? Cause a ****en guy like Marian Hossa managed to get a 1st rounder, Erik Christensen and Angelo Esposito. Now Hossa isn't quite as good as Iginla but was MUCH younger at the time of that trade.

JOE ****EN THORNTON, one of the, if not THE best passer in the game only managed to get Sturm, Stuart and Wayne Primeau from San Jose. He was 26 at the time and was far more valuable back then than Iginla is now.

You Flames fans are kidding yourselves. It's laughable really. You think Iggy's going to get you the likes of Nugent-Hopkins or Coutourier or anything significant that can contribute now? It just won't happen.

HF overvalues players SO MUCH. You two are prime examples of this. There is so much more that goes into trading in hockey than you seem to understand. It's not just a matter of "oh we'll give you this guy and take his contract". If Iggy made $4 Million it would be a different discussion, but as it stands right now, there's NINETEEN teams with $5 Million or less in cap space. Almost 2/3rds of the league. Your most realistic possibility is getting a guy like Filpulla from Detroit. There won't be ANY game changers heading Calgary's way, which is most likely why Feaster said he won't trade him. Im sure he shopped him and realized the offers were way too low, and has decided to hope for the best at deadline day.

You are all so naive in thinking that a star player = a star return. Trust me, when you're giving up the best player in the trade, you always, ALWAYS lose that trade.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:47 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Really? Cause a ****en guy like Marian Hossa managed to get a 1st rounder, Erik Christensen and Angelo Esposito. Now Hossa isn't quite as good as Iginla but was MUCH younger at the time of that trade.

JOE ****EN THORNTON, one of the, if not THE best passer in the game only managed to get Sturm, Stuart and Wayne Primeau from San Jose. He was 26 at the time and was far more valuable back then than Iginla is now.

You Flames fans are kidding yourselves. It's laughable really. You think Iggy's going to get you the likes of Nugent-Hopkins or Coutourier or anything significant that can contribute now? It just won't happen.

HF overvalues players SO MUCH. You two are prime examples of this. There is so much more that goes into trading in hockey than you seem to understand. It's not just a matter of "oh we'll give you this guy and take his contract". If Iggy made $4 Million it would be a different discussion, but as it stands right now, there's NINETEEN teams with $5 Million or less in cap space. Almost 2/3rds of the league. Your most realistic possibility is getting a guy like Filpulla from Detroit. There won't be ANY game changers heading Calgary's way, which is most likely why Feaster said he won't trade him. Im sure he shopped him and realized the offers were way too low, and has decided to hope for the best at deadline day.

You are all so naive in thinking that a star player = a star return. Trust me, when you're giving up the best player in the trade, you always, ALWAYS lose that trade.
Hossa was a rental, different situation from Iginla.

That Thornton deal got the Boston GM canned, because it was a retarded trade and a steal for the Sharks.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I understand there's lots to do in Florida; but aside from recreation, Florida doesn't really offer much else at this point in time.

Iggy's family is here, as is his business interests.

And I seriously do think you're criminally underrating Western Canada here. Just because there isn't beaches doesn't mean there isn't tons to do. Skiing, snowboarding, hiking, climbing, the Okanagan Valley.... the list goes on. You need to understand that there's more to life than just sand and nice weather. And that point is proven by many, many, many people here.
Can I ask a question??? Not being disrespectful, or trying to be cute but just asking.. You say there is not much else to do in Florida, well if that is true then why does South Florida get overrun with Canadians 6 months out of the year?? Why is it when the Canadians are in town, it's sold out by Canadian fans??

No one truly knows how Iginla feels except him, and like I've mentioned before as have many other Panther fans, why would we go after a 34 year old when we could possibly have a shot at Parise or Semin??? Why all the Hate for the Panthers? Is there jealousy?

Old
12-22-2011, 02:02 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Can I ask a question??? Not being disrespectful, or trying to be cute but just asking.. You say there is not much else to do in Florida, well if that is true then why does South Florida get overrun with Canadians 6 months out of the year?? Why is it when the Canadians are in town, it's sold out by Canadian fans??

No one truly knows how Iginla feels except him, and like I've mentioned before as have many other Panther fans, why would we go after a 34 year old when we could possibly have a shot at Parise or Semin??? Why all the Hate for the Panthers? Is there jealousy?
Parise is one thing, but you would rather have Semin. Suit yourself, I wouldn't want that guy anywhere near my hockey club.

I agree with panther fans. You only want Iggy if you feel like you have a true shot at the cup this year based on his age. Only cup contenders should be interested in Iggy because he is a PO beast and a leader, but the window to win with him is smaller.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
it's closer to $14,000. However I recommend you look at why Calgary has only $14,000 in cap space. To save you some time, that would be because they have 6 players on IR (12.75 million in cap hits are on IR and if needed half of that could be used for LTIR relief) and have 1/2 of Hagman's cap hit currently. The call-ups from the injuries are eating close to $4 million in cap space for us right now and we have . So no cap space for the Flames is not an issue this season.

Quote:
no it doesn't. The flames can take salary back and most teams can afford $7 million next season

Quote:

Detroit
Florida
Phoenix
St.Louis
Minnesota

who wants established NHLers for him? Most Flames fans would want Huberdeau as the starting point.

and calling him over the hill is about as knowledgeable as your comments about our cap situation. He would instantly become the Panthers best player, leader and face of the franchise if he was traded there.

But people need to accept Iginla is not being traded to Florida, or likely anywhere else

Old
12-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
South Florida gets overrun with Canadians escaping the weather six months out of the year. I've already stated that point.

I also have a hypothesis about the average age of people doing that. Would you like to guess what it is?

Old
12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 888
Quote:
What talent has Iggy ever even really had around him? And for a guy who averaged 80-90 points a season for most of his career, being on pace for a 55 point season counts as over the hill. I never said he's not a good player, but last year team's would've been more willing to drop decent value on him. This year not so much, he digressing and if you say otherwise you're clueless.
Well when he finishes the year with much more than 55 points, you're gonna be the one that's looking clueless.

Last edited by GetThePuckOut: 12-22-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old
12-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
There are a lot of offers both ways here.

I think something around

Howden
Robak (or similar decent defense prospect)
1st

would be perfectly reasonable.
That.

Old
12-22-2011, 05:31 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
The same thing was said about Brian Campbell,Bergenhiem,Kopecky,Upshall,Goc,Versteeg,J ovo,Theodore,and Fleishmann!!! People said they would never want to play in Florida and that Florida is crappy place to play, yet all those players are here, LOVING IT HERE, and we are 2nd place in East and 1st place in SouthEast by a big margin. We have a real team, doing real damage that IS NOT a fluke. Florida may not be as big of a hockey market as Calgary(which I personally wish it was because I love hockey more than any other sport),but Calgary is about to go into rebuild mode much like Florida did. Just because the arena LOOKED half empty,doesn't mean it WAS half empty. The only thing the NHL, you and Calgary see's is that Florida is thriving once again, and whether you like it, the NHL likes it, Calgary, and/or Iginla likes it, Florida IS and is going to continue to be, A successful franchise. (FINALLY)

Iginla may be a great player, even a franchise player, but saying a 35 year old, past his prime, not really doing much for Calgary recently, is worth a 1st rounder, Huberdeau(this past years 1st rounder)and Bjustad and/or Howden is RIDICULOUS. The only way I'd give up that much or more is for a player like Ovi, Crosby,Malkin and maybe Bobby Ryan.
I'm sorry that you don't think highly of our team, or even having hockey in the south (which I don't understand why you wouldn't want to see you fav sport spreading across the world, regardless of where it is) but the fact is that the Florida Panthers are now a serious threat. We may not be CUP contenders, not yet anyways( although anything is possible once the post season starts, and we have Cup champs on our team, as well as our 96 team looked very similar to this team, except this team now is a lot better) but we are a serious team with some serious skill and a GM who seems like Michealangelo, the way he's build this organization out of nothing. I guess it's time for Canadians to get over the hatred of the Panthers and come to realize that we have talent.
Those players are not exactly a ringing endorsement for your ability to attract big name talent. You also had to overpay on the majority of those contracts.

I would also like to point out that none of those players are in a similar position to where Jarome sits now.

And its hilarious to hear this "hatred by Canadians", as your team has produced absolutely nothing over the past decade to warrant anything but criticism from ALL parties invovled. We went through it in the late 90's early 2000's and you know what changed it? a cup run.

I dont know how many times I have to say it, I do not think Florida is close to competing for a stanley cup at this time and is not exactly a hockey crazed market. So other than the nice weather you can offer Iginla, what would entice him to uproot his family after 15 years?

Old
12-22-2011, 08:02 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan5 View Post
I don't even know where to start, you are so under-edjucated that is actually funny. Cap-space has everything to do with this. Flames fans are asking for picks and prospects in return for Iginla, go look on capgeek which teams have the space to take on 7 million ****ing dollars

You can't offload Iginlas salary to any team unless you take a major salary dump in return, which you obviously wouldn't since you want picks and prospects. Really limits the possibilities of trading him.

I'm done here, I don't even want Iginla.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Tont

vCash: 491
Canadians' hatred of the Panthers? I think you're confusing utter indifference for hatred, my friend.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:15 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Too much *****ing back and forth. We are done here

Closed Thread