HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Johnson

Old
12-23-2011, 01:18 AM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
I am ready to move Jack as well for a top six forward with Speed that can pot 25 to 30 Goals.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I am ready to move Jack as well for a top six forward with Speed that can pot 25 to 30 Goals.
If they can find one, it's something to consider, especially when they have Martinez who can slide in to play with Greene and keep Voynov with Mitchell, giving the Kings their three left handed-right handed pairings.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Bateman*

Quote:
I do not like.

Bateman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:44 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
I do not like.
Agreed, if Jack is moved. It's going to be something for a first liner.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:45 AM
damacles1156

Jack for the Month of NOV/DEC combined so far....

G 2
A 5
P 7

MINUS 14

Ouch that's not bad luck, that's bad play.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Why not just convert him to a 2nd line forward then?

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:53 AM
funky

the way I see it is we have guys with hi hockey IQ and guys with low hockey IQ on defence:

Mitchell and Scuderi = high IQ, great defensive back stops

Doughty and Voynov = average defensive IQ w awesome offensive vision

JJ = below average defensive IQ w higher then average offense

Greene = low IQ and skill, slow, has size

After watching tonights game I believe JJ and Greene can not be on the ice at the same time as both are a mess in thier own end. I would trade JJ if the return was substancial like a top line winger. I would rather trade Greene for a smarter more skilled version of himself.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:53 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Why not just convert him to a 2nd line forward then?

- R
I would interested to see Jack play forward. No idea if he would even entertain the idea.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:58 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
I would interested to see Jack play forward. No idea if he would even entertain the idea.
I think he'd be offended.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

If Jack could be used as the centerpiece in a trade to acquire a sniper like a Bobby Ryan, Jeff Carter, Chris Stewart (if you know he can put up numbers like he did last season), it's something you have to strongly consider doing. Would have to think long and hard about Iginla too because he isn't showing any signs of slowing down. It would be similar to what Pittsburgh ended up doing in moving Goligoski to acquire a sniper in James Neal.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:08 AM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If Jack could be used as the centerpiece in a trade to acquire a sniper like a Bobby Ryan, Jeff Carter, Chris Stewart (if you know he can put up numbers like he did last season), it's something you have to strongly consider doing. Would have to think long and hard about Iginla too because he isn't showing any signs of slowing down. It would be similar to what Pittsburgh ended up doing in moving Goligoski to acquire a sniper in James Neal.
exactly.................Voynov is continuing to evolve as well to help allow this.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:43 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

I've always wanted Jack to do well, but it's so bleeding obvious it's not going to happen in a Kings uniform.

I think it's definitely time to move him, he'll always be in Doughty's shadow and his +/- stat is taking a pounding.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Nex06

Is converting him to wing really THAT crazy of an idea? I think he could be amazing in that role.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:55 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Is converting him to wing really THAT crazy of an idea? I think he could be amazing in that role.
Yes, actually. Just how many dmen can you name in the nhl that have been converted to a forward?

Old
12-23-2011, 03:09 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Yes, actually. Just how many dmen can you name in the nhl that have been converted to a forward?
Peter MF Harrold?

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:27 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Yeah, that's why Wright brothers ditched their idea of directed flight machine. Oh, wait, they didn't, that's right.

As for your question, just because something is rare and hard to do, doesn't mean that it's impossible. Especially if potential transformation would be at least a top six winger.

Names? Dustin Byfuglien was drafted as a defenseman and has successfully played as a winger as well (a bit different type of a winger though). There is even a case of a player who was drafted first overall and was converted to a forward. Not an ancient history either.

Anyway, I would just like to see him take a shift here and there to see how he looks.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Yeah, that's why Wright brothers ditched their idea of directed flight machine. Oh, wait, they didn't, that's right.

As for your question, just because something is rare and hard to do, doesn't mean that it's impossible. Especially if potential transformation would be at least a top six winger.

Names? Dustin Byfuglien was drafted as a defenseman and has successfully played as a winger as well (a bit different type of a winger though). There is even a case of a player who was drafted first overall and was converted to a forward. Not an ancient history either.

Anyway, I would just like to see him take a shift here and there to see how he looks.
It is an intriguing idea due to Johnson's strong skating ability and his shot and strength. He is very solid along the boards so it is likely that he comes away with the puck from the corners. Johnson has the will power to drive hard to the net.

It is worth noting that both of his OT game winners earlier this season against New York and Philly came when Johnson pinched down low around the goal mouth. While his hockey IQ may seem to be lacking inside his own end, he knows what to do inside the opposite blueline.

Old
12-23-2011, 04:16 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It is an intriguing idea due to Johnson's strong skating ability and his shot and strength. He is very solid along the boards so it is likely that he comes away with the puck from the corners. Johnson has the will power to drive hard to the net.

It is worth noting that both of his OT game winners earlier this season against New York and Philly came when Johnson pinched down low around the goal mouth. While his hockey IQ may seem to be lacking inside his own end, he knows what to do inside the opposite blueline.
He also has excellent 1 on 1 skills. It really is strange to have a guy like that on D...he should be a wing. And we should deal Greene for anything useful up front and just promote Hickey and maybe another NHL-ready prospect to the big club so we can figure out if this guy can play or not once and for all.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Harold Snepsts

I'm a little surprised at how many people unhappy with Greene. He's certainly no superstar, but he is a big physical bottom pairing guy who kills penalties and makes opponents pay a price around the net. He's by far the Kings most physical D-man play in and play out. And given the general overpayment for D-men these days, his contract doesn't seem awful to me. Without him the Kings lose a lot of sandpaper on their blueline.

On the Wings Jonathan Ericsson is the whipping boy bottom-pairing D man. He's got a much better first pass than Greene and some better offensive instincts, but is worse defensively and not nearly as physical as he should be for his size. And costs about 300k more than Greene.

When you have talented guys like Doughty and JJ out there, I just think a player like Greene provides a better mix of abilities and roles than another puck moving guy. Maybe I'm just biased because I wish the Wings had a bottom pairing guy more like Greene.

As for trading JJ or moving him to forward, I still say he's 24 years old. It seems early to throw in the towel on his career as a defenseman in LA.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Brent Burns.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:41 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
If you plan on winning 3-2 games it would be a lot easier if Jack Johnson wasn't on the team. Same thing last night, other team scores a goal, they show the replay, #3 Johnson is right there. When the puck isn't on his stick he's awful.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Duc620

Quote:
No! No! No! Let Sutter and Stevens spend a year with him - at least.

Johnson's two seasons away from hitting the sweetspot for a NHL defensemen's payoff years. We've suffered the development and made the investment. Why would we want to hand his great years over to another franchise?

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
.... As for trading JJ or moving him to forward, I still say he's 24 years old. It seems early to throw in the towel on his career as a defenseman in LA.
I approve of this message, thank you Mr. Snepsts, it's always good to hear from a pro.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:40 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

There's a reason why it doesn't happen. And even with Byfuglien and Harrold, they're both back on defense. It's an entertaining thought but unrealistic.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:16 AM
funky

anyone realize Johnson's last 64 games = 5g 10a 15p, -29

thats pathetic