HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gm#34: Kings vs. Ducks, 12/22/11, Post Game WIN thoughts & tidbits

Old
12-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Shellz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Cant believe Kopitar and Brown are saddled with Richardson.

The team is having trouble scoring?

Well no **** with that guy on the top line.

Lombo needs to trade one of JMFM or Voynov, or someone like Clifford+ for a scoring LW.

Like it or not this team misses Smyth.

Impressed with Fraser tonight. He played well. Penner is still loafing around. Such a waste of talent.

Doughty is always such a treat to watch. He just does so many things out there. He may be off pace offensively, but he does EVERYTHING out there. Nice to see Richards back. What a clutch player that guy is. Brayden who? Brayden who cares that's who.

If I were looking to move a dman for some top six scoring it would be JMFJ. Voynov looks like he could have a pretty high ceiling. Too many plugs up front and too many underachieving over-paid vets. Move one of them if you can, either that or bury them in the minors.

The team needs a guy like Smyth. They don't miss his 20 game invisible streak though. You would think he'd learn that after ao long. Come flying out of the gates and then boom...he's gone.

A guy like Knuble or Holmstrom would be great. I doubt either of them leave their teams though. Especially Holmstrom.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Winger23

I missed the game ;-(, but why did Sutter pull Bernier back like that? I'm assuming that was at the end of the game....

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:52 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
I missed the game ;-(, but why did Sutter pull Bernier back like that? I'm assuming that was at the end of the game....
Foxy mentioned that he was trying to tell Bernier that he'll be starting tomorrow against the sharx which makes sense.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:55 AM
Nex06

Quote:
(on his regulation goal…)
BROWN: “It might not have looked like much, but that pass Kopi gave me, I don’t know if a lot of guys can do that. It’s a three-foot pass that goes a foot in the air. I just got in position to shoot, and he put it in the right spot.’’
After both Brown and Sutter went out of their way to give Kopitar props for that play I had to check the replay to see what I missed. Apparently I was blinded by great Brown's shot. And damn, that was an elite play by Kopitar from beginning to end. He drives in through couple of players, has speed, then makes technically perfect pass and because of the speed he is even ready for potential rebound in one direction.

Brown was great overall, I liked the whole Kopitar line, Richardson included. Voynov is able to make some great decisions even at his age. If right parts of both Voynov and JJ were put together, the result would have been an elite defenseman.

As Sutter said, he liked the way forwards played in all 3 zones, that's something that he inherited from Murray and I am sure he is grateful for that. What he got is a bunch of guys that are already defensively responsible and can do it pretty well. He seems to be sincerely happy with the team strength and believes that team is strong enough to do very well this season. At least that is the impression I got from his statements.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:57 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
The team needs a guy like Smyth. They don't miss his 20 game invisible streak though. You would think he'd learn that after ao long. Come flying out of the gates and then boom...he's gone.

A guy like Knuble or Holmstrom would be great. I doubt either of them leave their teams though. Especially Holmstrom.
Well the way I see it there is a surplus of offensive dmen and toughness in the bottom six. There are also some pretty good prospects and of course there are always draft picks in the upcoming drafts.

There are a lot of options with how to go about this. There is some cap space and seeing as how the season is half over already, it effectively doubles. So there really is no excuse not to address it. Wait too long and you could miss the playoffs. Im sure they will wait a bit and see how Sutter pans out. They are probably hoping it will fix itself (lack of scoring) but I think that could be a fool's game.

Go out and get someone now, before someone else does. I would at the very least inquire if the Ducks and Selanne would be open to the possibility of making a deal. Imagine him with Kopitar and Brown. Or go down the list of teams that are on the bottom and make some inquiries. Carter from Cbus? Ruutu from Carolina? Hemsky from Edmonton? Kostitsyn or Cammy from Montreal? Iginla from Calgary?

There are teams in desperate situations that could be motivated. There are a few possible options available. Something needs to be done.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:03 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Drew is the #1 star? Did they not watch Brown tonight?
Two assists.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Can't take too much from the game, I saw it from a bird's eye view and as usual Anaheim's defense was pathetic.

However, Hiller was unbelievable. Kings could have easily had 4 or 5 goals tonight if it wasn't for Hiller standing on his head.

Much more energy than the last few weeks. It was fun to attend a Kings' game again, I was really have a ****** time of it the last few games at home.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Well the way I see it there is a surplus of offensive dmen and toughness in the bottom six. There are also some pretty good prospects and of course there are always draft picks in the upcoming drafts.

There are a lot of options with how to go about this. There is some cap space and seeing as how the season is half over already, it effectively doubles. So there really is no excuse not to address it. Wait too long and you could miss the playoffs. Im sure they will wait a bit and see how Sutter pans out. They are probably hoping it will fix itself (lack of scoring) but I think that could be a fool's game.

Go out and get someone now, before someone else does. I would at the very least inquire if the Ducks and Selanne would be open to the possibility of making a deal. Imagine him with Kopitar and Brown. Or go down the list of teams that are on the bottom and make some inquiries. Carter from Cbus? Ruutu from Carolina? Hemsky from Edmonton? Kostitsyn or Cammy from Montreal? Iginla from Calgary?

There are teams in desperate situations that could be motivated. There are a few possible options available. Something needs to be done.
Iginla would be perfect for this team, hefty price to pay for him but i'm startng to think maybe the Kings should look into it. Brown-Kopi-Iginla sounds like quite the line.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:55 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

i'm surprised nobody's pointed out that Sutter's post-game interview sounds just like Murrays. I don't know why none of the reporters asked what it is that he felt the team could improve on or what he feels is the reason why they are offensively impotent.

It looked like he was happy with their play, regardless of a win or loss. The whole "keep playing well and good things will happen" hasn't come true in a good 20 some games. Plus this is against a slumping ducks and we didn't break the 3 again.

I honestly don't know if I can tell the difference between a Sutter and TM coached team yet. I do wonder if you take away the effect of a new face, would this be the same TM game.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:09 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
i'm surprised nobody's pointed out that Sutter's post-game interview sounds just like Murrays. I don't know why none of the reporters asked what it is that he felt the team could improve on or what he feels is the reason why they are offensively impotent.

It looked like he was happy with their play, regardless of a win or loss. The whole "keep playing well and good things will happen" hasn't come true in a good 20 some games. Plus this is against a slumping ducks and we didn't break the 3 again.

I honestly don't know if I can tell the difference between a Sutter and TM coached team yet. I do wonder if you take away the effect of a new face, would this be the same TM game.
It didn't even take until the post-game interview. Before the 2nd period, Sutter said something like "We're getting lots of good opportunities..." I got a little chuckle out of that.

This has been a strange few days. All the hope and optimism of the pre-season seems to be back around here, but the product on the ice looked pretty much exactly the same to me. Not that I'm expecting change over night; more that it's interesting to see how the mood of the board shifts.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:11 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I honestly don't know if I can tell the difference between a Sutter and TM coached team yet.
Ok. BTW, the Kings were the team in black uniforms, just in case if you had difficulties with that, too.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:27 AM
BringTheReign

Scoring is a still a problem; with how awful the Ducks have been this year, we should have been able to put more away tonight. Their defense is awful.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:28 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:32 AM
rapots

Well, very few moves obviously by Sutter and instant impact
Richardson at top line well deserved and Hunter benched, hell yeah
Richards is huge for this team
Voynov....I love that kid
All lines contributed

Great game overall

rapots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:46 AM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Glad to see we won this one although I would have loved to beat them in regular time. Does anyone know what Sutter was trying to tell Bernier?

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:56 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

To be fair to Smyth... he does have more goals than any Kings player.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:01 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Damn Voynov looked good.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 06:56 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Sure the Kings miss Smyth.. they missed him for a good chunk of last season too Seriously though, it's hardly surprising that after losing Smyth, Handzus and Simmonds that the Kings would have some trouble with net presence.

Feels great to win but it's still concerning... The Kings had to work their ***** off just to barely win over the two bottom teams in the league in Columbus and Anaheim. I mean it's great that they're finally working hard and everything but damn, it shouldn't have to be such a struggle. We're due for a ketchup effect.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:02 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Sure the Kings miss Smyth.. they missed him for a good chunk of last season too Seriously though, it's hardly surprising that after losing Smyth, Handzus and Simmonds that the Kings would have some trouble with net presence.

Feels great to win but it's still concerning... The Kings had to work their ***** off just to barely win over the two bottom teams in the league in Columbus and Anaheim. I mean it's great that they're finally working hard and everything but damn, it shouldn't have to be such a struggle. We're due for a ketchup effect.
If Hiller wasnt standing on his head all night, it wouldnt have been such a struggle. Kings need more firepower up front. A coaching change isnt going to fix that.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:47 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Very optimistic after this one. Haven't seen Brown play a game like that in a long long time.
Not since the Toronto game!

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
I am pro Sutter.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:00 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Finally Sutter does something Murray never did, GIVE TREVOR LEWIS A CHANCE!!!! I've been begging it for it for years now and the kid looked decent today. Him and Richardson bring speed to our top lines, something we clearly miss and is key to success in today's NHL. Our team is too slow for the Western Conference, simple as that. Richardson's speed is essential on the top line, Lewis' is essential for the 2nd line.

Great game boys, not enough people mentioned the amazing PK in OT. So solid, Richards was clearly missed and it's nice to have him back

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:04 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Finally Sutter does something Murray never did, GIVE TREVOR LEWIS A CHANCE!!!! I've been begging it for it for years now and the kid looked decent today. Him and Richardson bring speed to our top lines, something we clearly miss and is key to success in today's NHL. Our team is too slow for the Western Conference, simple as that. Richardson's speed is essential on the top line, Lewis' is essential for the 2nd line.

Great game boys, not enough people mentioned the amazing PK in OT. So solid, Richards was clearly missed and it's nice to have him back
Yet the team only scored two goals. That's not good enough if you want to go anywhere in the playoffs or even make the playoffs.

I wonder what people would be saying if the Kings had lost the shoot out?

Old
12-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Yet the team only scored two goals. That's not good enough if you want to go anywhere in the playoffs or even make the playoffs.

I wonder what people would be saying if the Kings had lost the shoot out?
We would still be happy. The team looked MUCH better.
Anaheim always rises to the occasion when they play us(we do the same with them)
The Kings had a transition game(instead of moving like puck up the ice like old people ****)
The Kings shot from high percentage areas(instead of along the boards bythe blue or red line)
Even better, they played with some passion.

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 12-23-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Cant believe Kopitar and Brown are saddled with Richardson.

The team is having trouble scoring?

Well no **** with that guy on the top line.
What are you talking about? The guy was outstanding in this game, bringing speed to the top line really energized the team IMO.

Personally, I thought he created offense where there hasn't been any in a very long time.

Quote:
Lombo needs to trade one of JMFM or Voynov, or someone like Clifford+ for a scoring LW.
First of all, trading Voynov, who has nothing but upside, would be a major mistake. You keep good young defensemen, you don't trade them away. A franchise gets to make one dumb**** move in its history in this regard. The Kings have already used that chip when they let Larry Murphy go to Montreal.

And just what kind of quality will you get for Clifford? Garbage in, garbage out. Clifford has been a major disappointment to me this season. His penalties are momentum-killers.

Quote:
No argument here.

Quote:
Impressed with Fraser tonight. He played well. Penner is still loafing around. Such a waste of talent.
Again, I think we were watching different games. Actually, I have a view of the entire ice surface, given I am in the nosebleeds on the blue line. I liked Penner's energy, and he has been good for the team since he came back from his injury.

Quote:
Doughty is always such a treat to watch. He just does so many things out there. He may be off pace offensively, but he does EVERYTHING out there. Nice to see Richards back. What a clutch player that guy is. Brayden who? Brayden who cares that's who.

If I were looking to move a dman for some top six scoring it would be JMFJ. Voynov looks like he could have a pretty high ceiling. Too many plugs up front and too many underachieving over-paid vets. Move one of them if you can, either that or bury them in the minors.
I don't think its ever a good idea to move good young defensemen. JJ will turn it around. And show some respect...those initials reflect the poster, not the player.