HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

norstrom on pp?

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2005, 08:01 PM
ginblossoms

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
norstrom on pp?

why is norstrom on the 2nd pp unit? i understand the kings' pp quarterback issues, but wouldn't gleason be a better fit? tim's got better offensive instincts than matty. norstrom is very predictable, does nothing to create good chances, and just always seems to make plays that should be saved for even strength situations.

Old
12-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Osprey

I think it's because it allows Cammalleri to be the other "defenseman" without too much risk. It's not a bad idea. I've always advocated Norstrom getting more offensive chances and, as much as I like Gleason, having him paired with Cammalleri might worry me a tad. I'd like to see Gleason on the PP, too, but I'd probably replace Corvo with him and see how that goes. AM would never allow that, though.

Old
12-09-2005, 08:33 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
SECOND UNIT????

He was on the first unit at least twice last night...

Embarrassing.

Old
12-09-2005, 08:43 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms
why is norstrom on the 2nd pp unit? i understand the kings' pp quarterback issues, but wouldn't gleason be a better fit? tim's got better offensive instincts than matty. norstrom is very predictable, does nothing to create good chances, and just always seems to make plays that should be saved for even strength situations.

Maybe he shouldn't be there, but I don't see what's wrong with his basic approach of firing his newly booming shot at the net.

Old
12-09-2005, 10:17 PM
ILuvLA

Second unit ok, but I have to agree with Tubby, first unit? Hell no!

Old
12-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
SECOND UNIT????

He was on the first unit at least twice last night...

Embarrassing.
The first unit is always the one with Visnovsky on it. Often the 2nd unit will start a PP because some of the 1st unit players were on the ice when the penalty was called. That's to be expected.

Old
12-10-2005, 01:15 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
The first unit is always the one with Visnovsky on it. Often the 2nd unit will start a PP because some of the 1st unit players were on the ice when the penalty was called. That's to be expected.
I understand the concept, but when the Kings go on the powerplay (usually trailing by a goal... certainly not leading (lately)...) it's horrifying to see Norstrom on the ice at the outset. Like, they can do better, no? No? OK, I give.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
I understand the concept, but when the Kings go on the powerplay (usually trailing by a goal... certainly not leading (lately)...) it's horrifying to see Norstrom on the ice at the outset. Like, they can do better, no? No? OK, I give.
They can't just substitute Gleason for Norstrom, no matter the situation, because they practice the PP in the same 5-man units. You see, it takes practice to get the PP where it is today

Old
12-10-2005, 07:47 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
they had miller with norstrom today on pp2... more offense! woohoo!

Old
12-11-2005, 02:36 PM
halco

The Kings previously had Cammalleri on the point on the 1st unit with Vishnovsky, but Cammy is now playing on the 2nd unit at forward. Given the kings depth (or lack there of) of offensive d-men, we really have no choice on the PP but to have a Miller or Nordstrom (or even both) on the PP. First unit is Vishnovsky and Corvo and second unit has been Miller and Nordstrom ( ). I think with the rash of short-handed goals that we have given up lately the coaching staff wants 2 d-men at the point. Kills us offensively though. I think if Valeri Bure was healthy that we would see either him or Demitra at the point on the first PP unit. I would be all for that. Then we would have Corvo on the second unit where he really belongs.

Old
12-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Fat Elvis

He hasn't played poorly on the PP, he just tries to get it on net nothing fansy. I like that better than 2 guys passing it back and forth and never getting it on net. Simple approach may work best with this group.

Closed Thread