HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

[30 Games in]Do YOU Think the Rangers will make the playoffs[Playoff talk]

View Poll Results: Do YOU think the Rangers will make the playoffs this year?
0% - [No Chance] 3 2.19%
25% - [Unlikely] 0 0%
50% - Possibly. 50/50 1 0.73%
75% - Most Likely 56 40.88%
100% - Definitley 77 56.20%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
I say we get in..But no way this team advances to round 2 with the team as it stands today. IMO one more solid puck moving D man , and another proven scorer with some grit is needed before we can really look at this team as a legit contender.
Honestly, the worst thing about our play this season and the play of the rest of the Eastern Conference is that I really think we're a 4 or 5 seed. And honestly, we'd be better off getting the 6 again in that case. Because if we're the 4 or 5 we're going to end up playing Philadelphia or Pittsburgh in the first round. A horrible match up, and one that even if we found a way to win would take a huge toll on us heading into the next round. I really, really, really, hope that this team finds a way to win the division. It would be absolutely huge.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
Definitely - 100%

Net Front Presence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Honestly, the worst thing about our play this season and the play of the rest of the Eastern Conference is that I really think we're a 4 or 5 seed. And honestly, we'd be better off getting the 6 again in that case. Because if we're the 4 or 5 we're going to end up playing Philadelphia or Pittsburgh in the first round. A horrible match up, and one that even if we found a way to win would take a huge toll on us heading into the next round. I really, really, really, hope that this team finds a way to win the division. It would be absolutely huge.
If the team can beat Philly or Pittsburgh in the first round, I have a feeling they ride that as a wave of confidence.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:18 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If the team can beat Philly or Pittsburgh in the first round, I have a feeling they ride that as a wave of confidence.
I know what you're saying, and I would be confident as well because I think they're two of the best teams in the conference outside of the Bruins.

I just like to try and avoid highly emotional, long, grueling series in the first round of the playoffs. I know that teams have had them in the past and still gone on to win, but I just don't like the idea of it.

I don't like playing division opponents until at least the second round.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:26 PM
WalterHeisenberg

vCash: 133
if we can stay healthy then definitley

WalterHeisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Pretty much the reason why I voted 75 percent as well. A key injury can really take the steam out of the team and the East is still very bunched up. The Rangers have played some really good hockey and they're only still 6 points ahead of 9th.
Good point....

If I could go back and vote 75% I would.

Between this and the injuries to Staal, Sauer and Eminger have really hurt an already thin defensive core.

MDZ, McD and Girardi are our top guys and you can expect one of them to go down too playing 25 minutes a night too.

I think we might fall out of graces with these injuries and be a serious dark-horse contender when were healthy (if I should say)

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:45 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Before people jump to the rangers only being 6 pts away from 9th place, lets take into account that the rangers have games in hand on every team under them by AT LEAST 2 games. Thats a huge factor when it matters most.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Before people jump to the rangers only being 6 pts away from 9th place, lets take into account that the rangers have games in hand on every team under them by AT LEAST 2 games. Thats a huge factor when it matters most.
not anymore .

But with Henrik playing like this every night and the Gabby line playing like it is no reason for it to stop anytime soon.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:40 PM
KingHenrik311

We'll finish behind PEns and Flyers. Just the way it is. I believe in us this year. But I see 4-5 seed at best. The division is tough to win.

KingHenrik311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:27 AM
satrabyk

They should make it, but it wont be easy not for any team in either conferance, i am going with most likely.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:32 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Went 75%. The defense scares me and this team is only 1 injury away from being VERY bad....

With the defense as it stands now, if Hank goes down for even 10 games, this team could be on the outside of the playoff picture very quickly.
As good as Lundy is Biron has shown to be very capable i would not go that far.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:45 AM
NickyMaz

I think the Rangers will certainly make the play-offs, whether they will get past the first round is another issue. Granted we have had to deal with injuries but every team has had to deal with them. The Pens are without Crosby and they are doing well, Philly is without Pronger and until last night Giroux and they have held on to the top spot in the division. If anything I think we have been lucky we haven't lost any of our offense, imagine if we lost Gabby or Cally for a couple weeks or months (knock on wood).

NickyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
They still lack the offensive skill that the top teams have. Dubinsky, Boyle, Fedotenko, Prust, should I go on?
Agreed. Right now, offense lives and dies with Gaborik and Richards. An injury to one of them and it's the '10/'11 Rangers all over again, but with a weaker defense.

Really, if you assume this team does make the playoffs, it kinda makes you think about the need for either Dubinsky or Wolski to BE the secondary scoring the team currently lacks, or the need to begin looking for someone to help provide it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 05:33 PM
ohbaby

I honestly feel we are legitimate contenders, for conference champs. Philly will stumble. I'm more concerned with Pitt and Boston. Fleury and Thomas are playing well.

I think this thread should be titled, how far will we go in the playoffs.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
definately. They are in the thick of things missing 3 regular d-men from the lineup. When they come back, our defense will be set

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
I honestly feel we are legitimate contenders, for conference champs. Philly will stumble. I'm more concerned with Pitt and Boston. Fleury and Thomas are playing well.

I think this thread should be titled, how far will we go in the playoffs.
right now the Rangers are probably more likely to stumble than Philly, Pittsburgh or Boston. Our defense is PUTRID outside of our top 3. When Staal, Eminger, and Sauer are all back in the lineup ill feel a lot safer, but right now our D scares the hell outta me.

EDIT: Putrid is too strong a word. They are playing hard, but they arent guys i feel at all comfortable out there with. Maybe Erixon, but even he needs some seasoning down in the A.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:05 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
right now the Rangers are probably more likely to stumble than Philly, Pittsburgh or Boston. Our defense is PUTRID outside of our top 3. When Staal, Eminger, and Sauer are all back in the lineup ill feel a lot safer, but right now our D scares the hell outta me.

EDIT: Putrid is too strong a word. They are playing hard, but they arent guys i feel at all comfortable out there with. Maybe Erixon, but even he needs some seasoning down in the A.
I tend to think you look at our blueline more as individuals than as a group. And if I looked at it that way, I'd say your right. But D is a team concept.

Look at it this way,... Staal, our #1 D-man hasn't played a game all year, yet we are off to our best start in recent memory. How is this possible? Stralman, Eminger, Woywitka,... are you kidding me? Point is,... If they play within the system, anyone can step in and do a fine job. As long as our forwards continue to play well away from the puck, get the sticks down in passing lanes, and skate hard to backcheck,.. our blueline will be successful. Callups can, and have been able step right in, (Bickel, Erixon) cause they have been well prepped in Hartford playing this system. I am not surprised how good our blueline has performed because they are getting plenty of support. Gabby and Hagelin are skating just as hard coming back as going up the ice. Add the two-way performance of Dubi, Cally, Feds, Boyle, Arty, Step, Mitchell, and we have solid defensive support. This is a huge amount of defensive forwards on one team. It's no wonder we continue to play well without Staal, Sauer, and Eminger.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote