HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking back 7 years/Jaromir Jagr appreciation

Old
12-23-2011, 07:45 AM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I didn't care. I don't care for the guy.
right now, it doesn't bother me but back then to say you didn't care about the guy leaving, i just can't understand it. we became a bad team.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:46 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Just a nit. The salary cap forced Sather to build from within. The Great Purge happened before the lockout but they also made the trade for Jagr (which, while a no brainer move in hindsight for what they gave up, is not the move a rebuilding team makes).
[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with the bolded...the Jagr move was another in a long line of Sather longshot trades at a low price, this one happened to pan out for him.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
so you only appreciate the 94 rangers?
No, I appreciate who give their heart and their souls to the Rangers. Jagr didn't do that. He had a monster season but he was never a heart and souls player. Never has been. He's a freak of nature talent who gets by on that. The choice not to bring him back (and let's not forget, he was making huge money even though his cap hit was small) was the right choice. The patch work attempt was poor (Naslund and Redden, really?! thinking that a heartless Gomez and an aging Drury were the two players to build around). But it was the right move for the team.

It's similar to Reyes and the Mets. How much worse are the Mets really going to be next year?

12-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

**** Jagr and the horse he rode in on.

Jagr appreciation my @ss! Screw him and his mutant Flyers teammates!

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:50 AM
bmw2004

So I guess if Lundqvist won't win the cup with the Rangers some people might say that they don't care for the guy because he didn't win anything in here? Nice.

It's so hard to talk to 16 year olds.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
So I guess if Lundqvist won't win the cup with the Rangers some people might say that they don't care for the guy because he didn't win anything in here? Nice.
Not me. Lundqvist is a heart and soul guy. Not a talented mercenary. Lundqvist did as much as Jagr to return this team to the playoffs.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:54 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

I really wish he never broke Grave's single season goal record. I'd much rather a real Ranger like Adam hold it.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:55 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
No, I appreciate who give their heart and their souls to the Rangers. Jagr didn't do that. He had a monster season but he was never a heart and souls player. Never has been. He's a freak of nature talent who gets by on that. The choice not to bring him back (and let's not forget, he was making huge money even though his cap hit was small) was the right choice. The patch work attempt was poor (Naslund and Redden, really?! thinking that a heartless Gomez and an aging Drury were the two players to build around). But it was the right move for the team.

It's similar to Reyes and the Mets. How much worse are the Mets really going to be next year?
fair enough. i will disagree though. if everything could have worked out cap wise (and it could have if we were able to get redden) i think that we should have given him a 2 or 3 year deal. thats just me.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:56 AM
bmw2004

I was under impression that Jagr cared when he was here. I thought He wanted to win with Rangers. It's just me.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I was under impression that Jagr cared when he was here. I thought He wanted to win with Rangers. It's just me.
The same guy who didn't want to take part in shootouts and didn't want the captaincy?

Old
12-23-2011, 08:04 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
fair enough. i will disagree though. if everything could have worked out cap wise (and it could have if we were able to get redden) i think that we should have given him a 2 or 3 year deal. thats just me.
He wanted to get paid. He always does. He was making huge money here just not all of it counted against the cap.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:06 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
I think the big hits took and the fact that he was never a big goal scorer in his career save his first two years here are more of an indication of Prucha than bringing Shanny retarded his progress.

I think the idea of Prucha was better than Prucha. Remember the "Prucha is better than Crosby" threads?
On another website I got into an argument over a rumor of trading Prucha for Seabrook. He was against it, I was like, "WTF?" He was using the old, "30 goal scorers as a rookie don't come along all the time."

As for Jagr, I hated him on the Penguins but really grew to love him as a Ranger. He and Lundqvist and that whole post lockout team made going to MSG fun again.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:10 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
The same guy who didn't want to take part in shootouts and didn't want the captaincy?
Gabby doesn't really take part in the SO either, and the C thing not a big deal, some people can recognize their limitations...as great as a talent as Jagr is I never considered him C material. I loved Brian Leetch and didn't think he was C material either...people lead in different ways, to me guys like Leetch lead by example and then you have other guys who lead by example and are vocal leaders. Just my .02

Old
12-23-2011, 08:13 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Have to agree with SBOB here.

I love Jagr and what he did for this franchise...but he's not a Ranger any more and he's not a guy like Graves or Leetch. I don't think i'm going to cheer him tonight.

But i'm not going to boo him either. He did great things for the Rangers but it amounted in nothing (arguably amounted in bad things, what with Drury and Scotty), he's just not a Ranger any more and I don't care.

...That's not to say I wouldn't love for him to be on the team right now.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Gabby doesn't really take part in the SO either, and the C thing not a big deal, some people can recognize their limitations...as great as a talent as Jagr is I never considered him C material. I loved Brian Leetch and didn't think he was C material either...people lead in different ways, to me guys like Leetch lead by example and then you have other guys who lead by example and are vocal leaders. Just my .02
Gabby has never declined.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I would. He doesn't play hard consistently. He doesn't fit the model of this team. Torts and Jags would be oil and water.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:34 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
I would. He doesn't play hard consistently. He doesn't fit the model of this team. Torts and Jags would be oil and water.
If Jagr hadn't played 3 years in Russia, he'd probably be the 3rd leading scorer in NHL history behind Gretzky and Messier. And he doesn't "play hard consistently"? What a joke. How much more consistent can you be than that?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:40 AM
bmw2004

I am sure if he would still be here and net at least 30 a year we would all say that he is the best player in Rangers history.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:56 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Just a nit. The salary cap forced Sather to build from within. The Great Purge happened before the lockout but they also made the trade for Jagr (which, while a no brainer move in hindsight for what they gave up, is not the move a rebuilding team makes).
[/QUOTE] Yes, but Jagr was acquired in late January/early February while the team still had playoff hopes, and then once they were well out of a playoff spot and with the lockout looming, that was when the Great Purge happened.

Either way, I think we can both agree, the lockout was a good thing for the Rangers.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I am sure if he would still be here and net at least 30 a year we would all say that he is the best player in Rangers history.
Even if that happened, he would be nowhere near the best player in Rangers history.

Old
12-23-2011, 09:17 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I understand SBOB's points. Jagr disappears at times, admits he doesn't always give 100%, and if he is not happy on a team, can be a cancer. He was happy on the Rangers here cause Sather surrounded him with a bunch of Czech players. And that last year he was here, I wanted to kill him most nights cause he spent most games passing when he should've been taking shots. I can't tell you how many times he'd get a breakaway, and instead of trying to beat the goalie, would skate around the net, and try to pass to a teammate coming into the zone.

I appreciate what he did while he was here, and I do believe he (along with Henke) helped return this team to respectability, but I do agree that he is, as SBOB put it, "a talented mercenary", and I never really looked at him as a true Ranger.

Old
12-23-2011, 09:20 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Quote:
Even if that happened, he would be nowhere near the best player in Rangers history.
Leetch and Gilbert are the best players in Rangers history for me, with Messier not far behind.

Old
12-23-2011, 09:53 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Have to agree with SBOB here.

I love Jagr and what he did for this franchise...but he's not a Ranger any more and he's not a guy like Graves or Leetch. I don't think i'm going to cheer him tonight.

But i'm not going to boo him either. He did great things for the Rangers but it amounted in nothing (arguably amounted in bad things, what with Drury and Scotty), he's just not a Ranger any more and I don't care.

I don't think their is anything wrong with acknowledging, as you say "what he did for the franchise", as I said earlier if I was at the game I would applaud when he came out and his first shift but that's it. No standing O, no video tribute because he wasn't here long enough for that.

And if he scored I would boo.

Old
12-23-2011, 09:53 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Gabby has never declined.
Nor did I state that he did...some guys no matter how talented don't thrive in those situations.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
If Jagr hadn't played 3 years in Russia, he'd probably be the 3rd leading scorer in NHL history behind Gretzky and Messier. And he doesn't "play hard consistently"? What a joke. How much more consistent can you be than that?
But he did go play in Russia.

....for the cash.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote