HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Gainey now with the team

Old
12-23-2011, 06:38 AM
bentheprop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You may not agree with his work as GM but making posts like that hiding behind your keybord makes you about 100x more gutless. If you had seen Gainey play you'd know if there is one thing he isn't is gutless.

You should stick to playing video games instaed of posting garbage on internet messageboards.

bentheprop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post

Like trading Balej and a 2nd for Kovalev?
Like trading Garon for Huet and Bonk?
Like trading Rivet for Gorges and a 1st (Pacioretty)? Like having faith in Price when all the chicken littles had already given up on the young goalie? For allowing Trevor Timmins to build very solid prospect depth despite the Habs never bottoming out?

All GMs make mistakes but Gainey brought credibility and stability to this organization after a very dark period. Gainey's biggest mistake may have been not surrounding the Centennial years team with the right veterans and off-ice antics contributed to to the kids melting down and a sudden dramatic turnover of the roster. It's too bad we didn't have leaders like Gill, Gionta, Moen around as veterans to complement that team.

I'd welcome Bob back in a heartbeat. Very strong man...doesn't give a rats ### about what the media and ignorant fans say. Doubtful that he would have had knee-jerk reaction of firing Martin. We could certainly do a lot worse than Bob Gainey as GM....whether temporary or long-term.

Unbelievable...I bash the fact that we are always waiting for always-absent-always-injured-Markov and some moderators warn me or want to suspend me, yet...so many here are getting a free pass by showing so much insulting disrespect to Mr.Gainey with comments like ''**** Gainey''. Surprised some moderators aren't here to warn some here the way I've been warned when bashing the never ending wait for Markov (season after season).
A lot of these insults towards Gainey are very personal,imo.

No one complained when Gionta, Gomez, and Cammalleri were part of our Conference Finals' Habs. We were all so happy. I remember many even credited Mr.Gainey for having the guts to make all those summer moves (the only one he forgot to move was...always-injured-therefore-always-useless-Markov!).

Gainey won so many Cups as a Hab (class act, true captain, Mr. Everything) and he even learned some...french!

No Gainey, no Gorges and no Pacioretty.
People don't remember the great things Gainey has done.

Gainey is not Rejean Houle and Mario Tremblay...that was a real nightmare for our Habs ex: sending Patrick Roy away.

Gainey doesn't deserve comments like ''**** Gainey''.
I don't understand some Hab fans...booed the **** out of Patrick Roy (2 Cups + 1 Cup Final as Hab). And now some here are totally disrespecting Gainey (won so many Cups as a Hab and was a better GM than most give him credit for, and I'm still sad at how he lost his daughter while he was still a Habs GM...wouldn't wish that on anyone).

Wish we had players like Gainey playing for our Habs.
Gorges has some of that Gainey heart and courage...that's why I'm a huge fan of Gorges. Wish we had another Gorges.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 12-23-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

Unbelievable...I bash the fact that we are always waiting for always-absent-always-injured-Markov and some moderators warn me or want to suspend me, yet...so many here are getting a free pass by showing so much insulting disrespect to Mr.Gainey with comments like ''**** Gainey''. Surprised some moderators are here to warn some here the way I've been warned when bashing the never ending wait for Markov (season after season).

No one complained when Gionta, Gomez, and Cammalleri were part of our Conference Finals' Habs. We were all so happy. I remember many even credited Mr.Gainey for having the guts to make all those summer moves (the only one he forgot to move was...always-injured-therefore-always-useless-Markov!).

Gainey won so many Cups as a Hab (class act, true captain, Mr. Everything) and he even learned some...french!

Gainey is not Rejean Houle and Mario Tremblay...that was a real nightmare for our Habs ex: sending Patrick Roy away.

I don't understand some Hab fans...booed the **** out of Patrick Roy (2 Cups + 1 Cup Final as Hab). And now some here are totally disrespecting Gainey (won so many Cups as a Hab and was a better GM than most give him credit for, and I'm still sad at how he lost his daughter while he was still a Habs GM...wouldn't wish that on anyone).

Gorges has some of that Gainey heart and courage...that's why I'm a huge fan of Gorges. Wish we had another Gorges.
WT&$@#*$&@#)dsd*@#@*we) ?????????????

Are you for real???

Ya choose to only look at the good sides ..what about the signing of Laraque, the signing of Samsonov, the Janne Annonymat for Ribeiro trade WTF ?!?

The Gomez for our best prospect and a decent young player trade?

Gionta 5 years 25 M when Kovy wanted 2 years 10 M $

Getting rid of Koivu for no good reason

Getting rid of 10 players in 1 off-season ..no asset management at all !

Getting rid of Huet right before the playoffs to make a young inexperienced goalie in Price our #1 ... Price then goes on to **** a huge choke job in the playoffs

Failing to re-sign Streit

The funny thing is you choose to ignore all this and talk about how we went deep in the playoffs that 1 year ...and then u fail to mention the only valid reason we went far ... the MIRACLE RUN by Halak!

Price is a good goalie, don't get me wrong but he's been an utter choke job in the playoffs!

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post

Are you for real???

Ya choose to only look at the good sides ..what about the signing of Laraque, the signing of Samsonov, the Janne Annonymat for Ribeiro trade WTF ?!?

Getting rid of Huet right before the playoffs to make a young inexperienced goalie in Price our #1 ... Price then goes on to **** a huge choke job in the playoffs

The funny thing is you choose to ignore all this and talk about how we went deep in the playoffs that 1 year ...and then u fail to mention the only valid reason we went far ... the MIRACLE RUN by Halak!

Price is a good goalie, don't get me wrong but he's been an utter choke job in the playoffs!
I forgot to mention, the classic Laraque-Koivu-Kovalev line ..I still can't believe we didn't win that series ...WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING ?!?!?

The handling of Alexander Perezhogin, Sergei Kostitsyn, Mikhail Grabovski is another fail by Gainey.

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

Are you for real???

And that's the problem. I love Bob Gainey ( the hockey player ) and respect him for everything he has gone through having lost his wife and then daughter. But as a GM he hurt this team more then he helped them. made some good moves but made a lot of bad ones!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:32 AM
TheRedKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

Unbelievable...I bash the fact that we are always waiting for always-absent-always-injured-Markov and some moderators warn me or want to suspend me, yet...so many here are getting a free pass by showing so much insulting disrespect to Mr.Gainey with comments like ''**** Gainey''. Surprised some moderators are here to warn some here the way I've been warned when bashing the never ending wait for Markov (season after season).

I have a great respect for Bob Gainey, he did bring the Habs out of dark period.

But lets not forget he's the reason Gomez is a Hab, signed monster contacts to Gio, Cammy and before them, Theodore which he somehow managed to trade to Colorado. He also made the decision to fire Claude Julien for no apparent reason. Please don't pretend these are not major issues that never happened.

I don't believe in calling him or anyone insulting and derogatory names, but I will say I would not want him in charge unless his only mission to to trade contracts for propects while Molson finds the GM of the future.

TheRedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
C'mon Habs, who would ever want you to stop cheering? You're part of the furniture...
You consider a toilet bowl furniture?

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
If anything, Gainey was a victim of circumstance. Let's remember his decision in context. True, he ponied up a lot of cash to take on Gomez, Gionta, and Cammie. However, the reason he had to do so is that NO ONE wanted to come here. He got shut out of every major free agent signing since he got here. From Briere down the line, no matter how much money was offered, UFAs would rather play elsewhere for less. There was a less than stellar class that year (Gaborik the only true star, after the Sedins re-signed). He had a truckload of money to spend and needed to rebuild a core from the previous season's fiasco. He took a chance that there would be some chemistry with Gionta, he was wrong. How could he know what would happen to Cammie?

He was over a barrel and did the best he could. I'm not sure there are many people out there who could have done much better.
I don't buy this. Gainey was a victim of nothing but himself and his own poor assessment of talent. He had players like Koivu, Grabovski, Ribeiro, and Ryder in the fold and simply flushed them, turning to the free agent market by choice not circumstances thrust upon him. And then there is Gomez, the ultimate embodiment and symbol of Gainey's compounded mistakes.

And if you believe published reports Gainey was prevented by Glen Sather and Gary Bettman from doing even more irreparable harm to the organization.

Gainey lived off one trade which was perceived by many to be a game changer- Kovalev. And as far as impact to the organization it pales in comparison to the harmful assessments he made in other areas.

There is no need to talk about Gainey's achievements as a player or person, his impeccable character does not get attacked here. His performance as GM in Montreal does.

Gainey wounded the teamed he loved the most, passed it to the man he trusted the most, and the 2 appear hell bent on euthanizing it together.

As much as I like Gainey he and Gauthier should have their passes and keys revoked. They are not skilled enough to give the fans what they want.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Are you for real???

The Laraque signing was the right idea. Not sure how it's Gainey's fault that BGL decided to turn into a Green Party guy instead of staying in shape and doing his job(ENFORCING!!!).

Samsonov was a UFA and cost nothing. He was coming off a 53 point in 74 game season post lockout, he seemed to be the type of player that would thrive in that style of game. Everything pointed to him being a good fit with this team plus he was buddies with Kovalev.

The Ribeiro trade looked bad on paper but Ribeiro ran himself out of town by his off ice habits and just pissing off the leaders on the team, he was seen around the league as an immature punk, that's why his value wasn't much. They took what they could, I hardly doubt they turned down Joe Thornton to get Ninimmaa. What other choice did they have?

Gionta for Kovalev...seriously? Like seriously? You don't see that as a clear upgrade?

Gionta is a great leader and has/had a lot more left in the tank than Kovalev. In 151 games after leaving Koavlev put up 34-49-83. In 172 games Gionta has 65-42-107 and is a huge upgrade defensively and in the room.

Changing over the roster WAS asset management, the 08-09 team was a flop, it needed to be broken up. Koivu as much as he was a great leader when he was here, it was time for him to move on.

I'm not a fan of the gomez trade but McDonagh was like #3 or 4 of our prospects behind Subban Pacioretty and Halak at the time.

I agree on the Huet trade, not a good plan to have Price as clear #1 as a rookie without a veteran back up. That was one of his two worst moves in my opinion(the other was the Pouliot/Latendresse trade).

Streit, for the kind of money he got was something like Wisniewski, no way he was going to play anything close to that contract here on the 4th line and PP.

Halak went on a tear 2 years ago but he was well surrounded and the team followed a gameplan and he got hot...Boston won a cup with that formula.

Not sure where you pull taht crap about Price being a choke artist, complete BS, he even outplayed the guy that won the Conn Smyth in the Boston series 2.11 .934% vs 2.25 .926%.

That post was Epic Fail

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:57 AM
shutehinside

Elliott Friedman is reporting the Geoff Molson is trying to get Gainey to take over again. I'd imagine it would be on an interim basis until they could hire a full time GM who'll then go and hire his coach. That would be the right way to do it IMO.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I forgot to mention, the classic Laraque-Koivu-Kovalev line ..I still can't believe we didn't win that series ...WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING ?!?!?

The handling of Alexander Perezhogin, Sergei Kostitsyn, Mikhail Grabovski is another fail by Gainey.
Gainey wasn't the coach for those 3 players.

I don't see where Grabovsky was "handled" he didn't seem to buy in to the program and was stuck behind Gomez and Plekanec, no big loss, we got nice return for him.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:01 AM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
If that ****ing retard comes back to run this team, I will never cheer again. Yes, some of you may get your wish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Bob's a gutless puke who quit on this team after crippling us with high-priced 45 point princesses and cashing in his bonus from the Molson sale. It's a disgrace he's even allowed anywhere near the front office.
**** off. Seriously. This is disgraceful. Grow up. Nothing else to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
And if you believe published reports Gainey was prevented by Glen Sather and Gary Bettman from doing even more irreparable harm to the organization.
What the **** are you talking about? Sather and Bettman quashed a Price/Subban-for-Drury trade and we never found out about it?

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:09 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
That post was Epic Fail
bah no need to be so hard on yourself.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:11 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
**** off. Seriously. This is disgraceful. Grow up. Nothing else to say.

What the **** are you talking about? Sather and Bettman quashed a Price/Subban-for-Drury trade and we never found out about it?
Probably talking about the lecavalier trade that thanks god didnt happen...! And also the kovalev trade where sather had to choose between plek balej.

Gainey sucked as a gm.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:14 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
I want Gainey to admit his mistakes if he wants anything to do with this team.

Something like: ''Je n'aurais pas du signer ses joueurs et hypothèquer le plafond céréal.''

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Gainey wasn't the coach for those 3 players.

I don't see where Grabovsky was "handled" he didn't seem to buy in to the program and was stuck behind Gomez and Plekanec, no big loss, we got nice return for him.
You become ridiculous when you write things like this. That trade will produce 0 NHL players for Montreal, Toronto stole a centre who scored 29 goals last year.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:18 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
I want Gainey to admit his mistakes if he wants anything to do with this team.

Something like: ''Je n'aurais pas du signer ses joueurs et hypothèquer le plafond céréal.''
Wait, you were the one crying the loudest about a unilingual coach and now you're mocking somebody who actually went out of his way to learn the language and speak it publicly? You're a superstar.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:18 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
You become ridiculous when you write things like this. That trade will produce 0 NHL players for Montreal, Toronto stole a centre who scored 29 goals last year.
We got a 2nd round pick (which turned into Robert Lang who was one of our best players before being injured) and a got decent defensive prospect for a guy who clearly didn't want to play for us. Wouldn't say they "stole" him, a steal would've been the Kostitsyn trade which we have nothing to show for.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
We got a 2nd round pick (which turned into Robert Lang who was one of our best players before being injured) and a got decent defensive prospect for a guy who clearly didn't want to play for us. Wouldn't say they "stole" him, a steal would've been the Kostitsyn trade which we have nothing to show for.
If Montreal traded a nobody prospect and a 2nd rounder for a player that turned into a 29 goal scorer, this site would crash from the declarations that it was biggest steal of all time.

Problem is, Montreal is only a victim of robbery, never the hold up man themselves.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

Are you for real???

''Are you for real?'': haha!! I ask that ''to be or not to be'' question quite often to people only to receive a ''get a life'' response!!

Nanomat!! Ha ha!! That did make me laugh!
Yes I indeed chose to ignore all the trades that didn't work since I'm a huge Gainey fan!! (can't deny that!). Wish we still had players like him on our current team.

Here is my rule!!:
You're not allowed to **** on a trade that doesn't work if YOU YOURSELF liked it when it happened. It's not fair to **** on trades only when they don't work (especially if you liked them at the time...fair?! oui?! non?!).

Example: many here were excited Laraque was a Hab...I know I was! we finally had the best policeman in the NHL!! (I was excited)...of course it didn't take long for me (his 2nd season I think) to despise his faxing/invite only/bs excuses for not defending teammates,etc... but I would have taken that chance like Gainey did. I admire Gainey for getting rid of Laraque.

Tanguay for 1st...I was excited for that one...of course it didn't work. But the truth...many Hab fans were excited about it. Not fair to boo it after...if you initially liked it you have to stick to it.

SamsoNO...almost forgot about him...it's better if I or we do!! (it was a try).

Gomez: I must admit I was shocked when I first heard about the trade (huge fan of McDonagh's potential with us), but hypnotized myself into thinking he's good for center depth (expensive yes 'cause of Glen Sather but good for center depth...good for center depth...I'm still trying to hypnotize myself with this thinking!! I'm more patient with Gomez VS always-waiting-for-Markov-every-$%^&*#$-season (doesn't matter how good he is, his fault or not,etc,...he's never around to help our Habs and that's the bottom line).

I couldn't stand Ribeiro as a Hab so I was biased...his value was so low at the time for his bad reputation (clubbing, lazy/no work ethic,etc), so you couldn't get a Brenden Morrow for him at the time...I was happy to just get rid of him. Easy to blame Gainey since Ribeiro has had good seasons with Dallas. Niniimat...who could have predicted he would disappear like that! At least we got the most bizarre picture out of him! where he is on ice looking straight at the camera with a very strange look on his face...looking very very lost!! (someone has it?).

Gainey = drafting Price instead of Pouliot or Brule.
Gainey = Price, Subban, Gorges (I'm a fan of all three!)

Price in playoffs...I'm all about playoffs and know his record is not Patrick Roy-esque...yet. Price will get HOT in playoffs one day (I believe so and hope I'm right, gulp!), so...watch out!! (I just hope it's with our Habs and not against him!). I'm patient with Price...maybe a gut feeling for me?

Maybe I'm just the wrong person to fight with since I'll always always respect Mr.Gainey for all the Cups he helped our Habs win.

And after Rejean Houle and Mario Tremblay, well...Gainey was a huge breath of fresh air.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 12-23-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:33 AM
ReVeuF

Well, Gainey 5 year plan to get us to the top was a fluke, how Holmgren can do in 2 years what Gainey/Gauthier tried in like 10 years ?

It almost worked in 2007-2008, the magic came back and now we are back to another dark era...

No good GMs since Savard (Serge and maybe even Andre since he did not really have a chance...)

The coaches are not the problem, see all the successful ex-Habs coaches... The problem is higher, the architects of the crumbling Habs house : Gainey and Gainey #2 (Gauthier).

Yes Bob Gainey was a all-heart player, but it is time for him to be part of the ancients and be away of any hockey decisions from now on.

Please fire Gauthier fast !!!

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:35 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
If Montreal traded a nobody prospect and a 2nd rounder for a player that turned into a 29 goal scorer, this site would crash from the declarations that it was biggest steal of all time.

Problem is, Montreal is only a victim of robbery, never the hold up man themselves.
He scored 29 goals one year, other than that he's been an inconsistent 40-50 point guy, a second round pick for a 40-50 point guy who gets played more minutes because he's on a non-playoff team is pretty close to fair value.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
He scored 29 goals one year, other than that he's been an inconsistent 40-50 point guy, a second round pick for a 40-50 point guy who gets played more minutes because he's on a non-playoff team is pretty close to fair value.
If you would do this deal again you must really be a fan of Gainey/Gauthier.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:41 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Elliott Friedman is reporting the Geoff Molson is trying to get Gainey to take over again. I'd imagine it would be on an interim basis until they could hire a full time GM who'll then go and hire his coach. That would be the right way to do it IMO.
Ugh. This team needs a completely new direction. If he comes in and talks to the players thats fine, but I don't want the guy making personnel moves again.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:44 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Wait, you were the one crying the loudest about a unilingual coach and now you're mocking somebody who actually went out of his way to learn the language and speak it publicly? You're a superstar.
I knew that one was coming

I'm not the one who's gonna do this often , but that one was just a classic , it's the french equivalent of ''cap circumcision ''

Worst case is I know a french guy who actually always says this

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote