HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Gainey now with the team

Old
12-23-2011, 09:48 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 500
Also , I myself always make stupid english mistake , you have to take it lightheartedly sometimes.And that was years and years ago , I would not be the one to criticize him for it on the spot or anytime for that matter , when something is funny it is funny , you just deal with it and take it like a good sport.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:50 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

But I'll agree that the timing of my joke was real bad.I do respect Gainey and every people learning new language ( mine or another )

I hate not being able to edit damnit

Old
12-23-2011, 09:51 AM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Ugh. This team needs a completely new direction. If he comes in and talks to the players thats fine, but I don't want the guy making personnel moves again.
New direction most deffinately!....but they don't need to rush to find the right new leadership, as long as they do it before the trading deadline and they don't let this current group do any more trades.

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:54 AM
poetryinmotion

One has to wonder if Gainey didn't have a hand with the benching of Subban/Eller.

poetryinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
I knew that one was coming

I'm not the one who's gonna do this often , but that one was just a classic , it's the french equivalent of ''cap circumcision ''

Worst case is I know a french guy who actually always says this

What is the list of moves that GM Gauthier has done...just to verify.

Signing Erik Cole as UFA.
Eller and Schultz for Halak
Price...keeping him instead of listening to many Hab fans.
Kaberle for Spacek.
Getting Diaz for nothing.
Getting Wiz for 2nd Rnd.
Drafting Beaulieu.

I'm losing my memory! Any other moves I forgot...?

p.s.: I would only complain about Markov's 3 years and especially not signing Gorges...now Gorges the heart of our Habs can be a UFA July 1st (I dread that day).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:05 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

Kaberle for Spacek.
Getting Wiz for 2nd Rnd.
Drafting Beaulieu.

p.s.: I would only complain about Markov's 3 years and especially not signing Gorges...now Gorges the heart of our Habs can be a UFA July 1st (I dread that day).
ok?! but...what does this have anything to do with my post?!

Old
12-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

Kaberle for Spacek.
Getting Wiz for 2nd Rnd.
Drafting Beaulieu.

is this all you remember? Figures.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:09 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
If Montreal traded a nobody prospect and a 2nd rounder for a player that turned into a 29 goal scorer, this site would crash from the declarations that it was biggest steal of all time.

Problem is, Montreal is only a victim of robbery, never the hold up man themselves.
Gorges and Pacc beg to differ.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:22 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You may not agree with his work as GM but making posts like that hiding behind your keybord makes you about 100x more gutless. If you had seen Gainey play you'd know if there is one thing he isn't is gutless.

You should stick to playing video games instaed of posting garbage on internet messageboards.
I would have absolutely zero difficulty saying any of that to his face... and then some.

This coward screwed us for 5 years just for a 3 million dollar bonus. He's a modern day snake oil salesman.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:23 AM
LyricalLyricist

I know some dislike gainey but be somewhat fair here. He had his bad moves and his good ones. If it weren't for his ufa build we'd have a better team today. Whatever it was a big mistake but at this point I'd gladly take him as interim gm because pg has been terrible IMO. When I say interim gm I'm referring to a guy who cleans house and leaves flexibility for next gm to build a team. At this point we need this and if someone knows our internal structure it's someone within. Expecting an outside source to know our prospects and depth perfectly is a little much. Gainey may not be perfect but I wish he could sell and maybe inject young talent into the team. Also, maybe he can fix his mistake and rid us of these contracts!

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:23 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

No thanks. I hate PG but he is a lot better than Gainey. You hurt enough this team, go away and never come back. We need a new guy with a new direction. BG and PG FAILED.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:36 AM
habaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
I would have absolutely zero difficulty saying any of that to his face... and then some.

This coward screwed us for 5 years just for a 3 million dollar bonus. He's a modern day snake oil salesman.
Lol! Another Cyber tough guy. He screwed us all personally for 5 years? Yes, absolutely!! Brilliant stuff.

Have any of you haters, AT THE VERY LEAST,looked at the roster he inherited from the Houle era and compared it with the roster he left PG. Anybody???? Only after then can you tell me he "screwed" us.

I don't know if most of you were too young to remember the end of the Savard era and his putrid drafting record or the disaster that was the Houle era but I remember fully, and I'll take Gainey as our GM anyday of the week over the previous 2 regime. If anything he brought respectability back to our organization when we had no more left.

Some of you should check out the recent interview with Pierre Boivin (I think it was in La Presse) and how Gainey helped them (Habs) get some weight back within the NHL circles. We were an absolute joke when he took over.

Do your research! A GM's job is alot more than trading spare parts like Grabovski, S Kost and other players who'll probably never amount to anything. It's about creating a healthy environment where players want to come here and play (see UFA's signed), putting together a good development program (see habs farm team before and after his era), putting together a good team of scouts (amateur and pro), and other.

If pro scouting was an issue, I think the rest speaks for itself. Before he took over we missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 times and after he took over I think you could reverse those numbers. That's all I need to know and all that matters.

Want a last example? Brian Burke hasn't only made good moves since taking over the Leafs but in the grand scheme of things, his team is getting better. That's how it works.

habaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:37 AM
sampollock

Gainey brought this mess in. Gomer and Gionta and Cammy. So here we go

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:41 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
yes!!!!!
Gomez????? ****ing Gomez, worst contract in NHL
Gionta and Cammy, 2 overpaid midgets.
Our team is so small and soft because of Gainey.
I am not a hater, I respect the player, but the GM has been horrible.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:45 AM
LyricalLyricist

Btw would you rather have gainey on interim or gauthier doing trades to save his job? It's logic guys. Gainey is a patient gm and can sell if he wants to. He'd have no pressure to do much except get a clean roster for next guy. That so bad?

Old
12-23-2011, 10:49 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
yes!!!!!
Gomez????? ****ing Gomez, worst contract in NHL
Gionta and Cammy, 2 overpaid midgets.
Our team is so small and soft because of Gainey.
I am not a hater, I respect the player, but the GM has been horrible.
You forget the days we'd overpay and people didn't show anyway because of pressure and taxes. Anywhere else in the league 5 mil here is a 4.5 mil contract. We always had to overpay. Gomez trade was a huge gamble but he wasn't supposed to suck this badly. We all hoped he'd return to njd form but now he's not even nyr form. No one could expect the latter. Btw those two overpaid midgets are only ones who score for us in PO.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Looks like the Canadiens got an early Christmas present- having Bob Gainey around

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:50 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Btw would you rather have gainey on interim or gauthier doing trades to save his job? It's logic guys. Gainey is a patient gm and can sell if he wants to. He'd have no pressure to do much except get a clean roster for next guy. That so bad?
He did that before Gauthier came in (Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Gill, Spacek)... with the results we are seeing. Please no more cleanup by Gainey !

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Coldplay
Courage

To those boldly proclaiming Scotty's got the worst contract in the NHL.

Meet this man.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:54 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You forget the days we'd overpay and people didn't show anyway because of pressure and taxes. Anywhere else in the league 5 mil here is a 4.5 mil contract. We always had to overpay. Gomez trade was a huge gamble but he wasn't supposed to suck this badly. We all hoped he'd return to njd form but now he's not even nyr form. No one could expect the latter. Btw those two overpaid midgets are only ones who score for us in PO.
tell me that you expected that Gomez would return to the NJ form and I believe everything you say.
as for the midgets, nah, they are pretty bad, there were less expensive better options.
This team needs to get bigger and tougher to play against. PG and BG are not the ones for that.
Let me remind you Gomez trade, who did we give up for him and how are they doing this season, and how is Gomez doing.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:54 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
He did that before Gauthier came in (Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Gill, Spacek)... with the results we are seeing. Please no more cleanup by Gainey !
I said sell not rebuild.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Also, definition of a midget, for those of you using the word incorrectly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midget

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:57 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Also, definition of a midget, for those of you using the word incorrectly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midget
Ever see Gio or even Cammy in real life?

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:58 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
tell me that you expected that Gomez would return to the NJ form and I believe everything you say.
as for the midgets, nah, they are pretty bad, there were less expensive better options.
This team needs to get bigger and tougher to play against. PG and BG are not the ones for that.
Let me remind you Gomez trade, who did you give up for him and how are they doing this season, and how is Gomez doing.
I never said expected, I said hoped. I don't remember anyone on here calling he'd turn into a 4th liner either. Is it fair to say we expected a 2nd line center or so and Gomez became crap. The trade was rough, not defending it at all just saying if Gomez played at least as good as when we got him were a playoff team.

Who were the less expensive better options and do you think they'd get same contract with us as they got elsewhere?

Old
12-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
Gomez was definitely a mistake, I don't get the need to include Gio and Cammalleri in there. We paid a "UFA premium" of about 500k to get them but they cost no assets and both have been well worth adding. Gio is an excellent, well respected leader and put up nearly 30 goals the last 2 years, he is about as gutsy as it gets, plays much bigger than his size. We miss him right now on ice and in the room.

Cammalleri has been solid the last 2 years and a beast in the playoffs. Not sure why people feel the need to throw him under the bus because he's struggling this year. I'm sure he is MORE frustrated about it than the fans are.

Typical HF style, team starts losing let's throw everybody under the bus.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote