HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bob Gainey now with the team

Old
12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
JimmyDarmody

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic View Post
Lol! Another Cyber tough guy. He screwed us all personally for 5 years? Yes, absolutely!! Brilliant stuff.

Have any of you haters, AT THE VERY LEAST,looked at the roster he inherited from the Houle era and compared it with the roster he left PG. Anybody???? Only after then can you tell me he "screwed" us.

I don't know if most of you were too young to remember the end of the Savard era and his putrid drafting record or the disaster that was the Houle era but I remember fully, and I'll take Gainey as our GM anyday of the week over the previous 2 regime. If anything he brought respectability back to our organization when we had no more left.

Some of you should check out the recent interview with Pierre Boivin (I think it was in La Presse) and how Gainey helped them (Habs) get some weight back within the NHL circles. We were an absolute joke when he took over.

Do your research! A GM's job is alot more than trading spare parts like Grabovski, S Kost and other players who'll probably never amount to anything. It's about creating a healthy environment where players want to come here and play (see UFA's signed), putting together a good development program (see habs farm team before and after his era), putting together a good team of scouts (amateur and pro), and other.

If pro scouting was an issue, I think the rest speaks for itself. Before he took over we missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 times and after he took over I think you could reverse those numbers. That's all I need to know and all that matters.

Want a last example? Brian Burke hasn't only made good moves since taking over the Leafs but in the grand scheme of things, his team is getting better. That's how it works.

13 Wins
23 Losses

Thanks for playing.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:01 AM
habaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
He did that before Gauthier came in (Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Gill, Spacek)... with the results we are seeing. Please no more cleanup by Gainey !
Weren't those results a conference final 2 years ago and a game 7 overtime against the SC champs last year? A GM also has to be a leader, something that PG clearly is not and that BG oozes.

habaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Cammalleri has been solid the last 2 years and a beast in the playoffs. Not sure why people feel the need to throw him under the bus because he's struggling this year. I'm sure he is MORE frustrated about it than the fans are.

Typical HF style, team starts losing let's throw everybody under the bus.
I disagree on Cammalleri. I thought he was terrible last season too, and he's regressed even more this year.

For a guy that makes $1.35 million less on the cap than Gomez, it's about time people started noticing his lacklustre play.

Little drive, passion, intensity, creativity, killer instinct. Maybe he doesn't feel this way, but the way he's playing is demonstrating a severe lack of desire. Where's the Cammy from 09-10?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic View Post
Weren't those results a conference final 2 years ago and a game 7 overtime against the SC champs last year? A GM also has to be a leader, something that PG clearly is not and that BG oozes.
And yet a sub-500 playoff record.

That's what happens when the only way you can win a playoff series is if your goalie plays like an all-star and the other guy plays like a backup.

Old
habaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post

13 Wins
23 Losses

Thanks for playing.
Say what?

Old
12-23-2011, 10:05 AM
TheGoalJudge

We are still in good shape if we tank this year and trade our vets. Just do it. Our last top 5 pick was Price. We could use another star.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Once again: tanking does not exist in the real world.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:08 AM
habaholic

Quote:
And yet a sub-500 playoff record.

That's what happens when the only way you can win a playoff series is if your goalie plays like an all-star and the other guy plays like a backup.
At least we made the playoffs. Where were we before he took over, and where are we now? Coincidence? I'm all for the best GM candidate out there not named Gainey but prove to me that he'll be better because when I start hearing names like Damphousse & Roy, I think Savard and Houle and that scares the $hit outta me.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:09 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gomez was definitely a mistake, I don't get the need to include Gio and Cammalleri in there. We paid a "UFA premium" of about 500k to get them but they cost no assets and both have been well worth adding. Gio is an excellent, well respected leader and put up nearly 30 goals the last 2 years, he is about as gutsy as it gets, plays much bigger than his size. We miss him right now on ice and in the room.

Cammalleri has been solid the last 2 years and a beast in the playoffs. Not sure why people feel the need to throw him under the bus because he's struggling this year. I'm sure he is MORE frustrated about it than the fans are.

Typical HF style, team starts losing let's throw everybody under the bus.
Gionta, wow!! put nearly, nearly 30 goals and he deserves the 5 millions dollars contract. I would rather have Kesler who makes as much as Gionta and produces a lot more.
As for Cammy he is paid as much as Daniel Sedin or Zetterberg, or even more than Towes or Hossa, Lucic, Pavelski.
Enough said!!!!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:13 AM
old scotia

You can't give any CREDIT to Gauthier or Martin for the conference final. Halak deserves all the credit. PERIOD.
Halak saved their jobs two years ago. If It wasn't for Halak this circus would have taken place last year and I don't even like Halak. Price fan.
Remember last years trading deadline? Gauthier says he's happy with the current roster because they went to the conference final. WOW. Arrogance.
Hey Gauthier. We didn't win the cup. We got outplayed every game. Crosby quote, what I remember of it after losing to Montreal. "How do you play against a team that's game plan is to get outshot every game?"

Please Gainey. Your an outstanding person BUT you left your flunkies in charge and now your coming back in the shadows to fix it. STOP the madness.

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:14 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Gionta, wow!! put nearly, nearly 30 goals and he deserves the 5 millions dollars contract. I would rather have Kesler who makes as much as Gionta and produces a lot more.
As for Cammy he is paid as much as Daniel Sedin or Zetterberg, or even more than Towes or Hossa, Lucic, Pavelski.
Enough said!!!!
Yes but to be fair ! Were these players available to Montreal ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:15 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Yes but to be fair ! Were these players available to Montreal ?
no of course not, my point Cammy is OVERPAID!!!

Old
12-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Habruti!

Well I can't say I am agreeing with everyone. Lack of grit and size is the issue? Right? This team is bigger and tougher then we where 2 years ago when we went to the conference finals. The issue is not the players at hand but more so how they are being used and the decisions related to them.

Benching Subban, about F&&^in time they do. He plays soft, is making poor decisions and plays way too much. Last year he was dishing out some nice hits at the begining of each game, it was sending a message to the other team that they would have to play hard to win. This year ... no physicality at all. Yes your size is somewhat important but what you do with it is even more.

Pacioretty is treated as a hero around here, as anyone seen him driving the net the way Cole is doing? He now is a perimeter player and he is since the beginning of the year.

All of you are Mocking Gionta for his size look at our record without him in our lineup. He was at least playing the game he has to play.

The Eller benching this one I do not get it .. but hey he did take a lot of penalities lately at the least oportune time... But I'll give him what he deserves.. He works hard.

Rebuilding the team perhaps not... revamping it I would agree. This may include getting rid of assets. As much as I think AK is bring a lot more to this team then he gets credit for .... I would try and trade him at the deadline.

Give RC a break he needs a new GM. He had at the decency of shaking things up yesterday. Which may pay on the long run.

We need a DMen coach that will wake up and realize that Emelin on the Left side is probably better then any other guy on our team with the exception of Georges who plays just as well on the right side.

Get Markov in shape and Fast... Then if he succeeds trade him in the summer. If comes back as the Dmen he can be, there will be lots of takers.

Trade Gill at the deadline if there are takers!

Perhaps Camaleri could also attract some teams at the deadline. Teams like Minnesota who might look for additional scoring.

Get the first pick overall and go for Grigorenko. As much as like Desharnais we do need a bit more strength in the middle.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:18 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
no of course not, my point Cammy is OVERPAID!!!
Usually we are in agreement. But even if Cammt gad 1.5 million less per year, how would this affect our roster ( another Darche maybe ? )

Old
12-23-2011, 10:21 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Usually we are in agreement. But even if Cammt gad 1.5 million less per year, how would this affect our roster ( another Darche maybe ? )
this thread is about Gainey and how he overpaid for Cammy and Gionta. Cammy does not deserve 6 millions per year. The other players I mentioned do.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:25 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
this thread is about Gainey and how he overpaid for Cammy and Gionta. Cammy does not deserve 6 millions per year. The other players I mentioned do.
I understand that he is overpaid. But i can't see how it would change anything for the Habs. What's PG going to do with another 1.5 million ?

Old
12-23-2011, 10:31 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Anyway, options(that surfaced) right now are:

a)Gauthier trying to save his job
b)Gainey on interim, not trying to save his job

Hmmm...

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:32 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
I understand that he is overpaid. But i can't see how it would change anything for the Habs. What's PG going to do with another 1.5 million ?
Lets give Darche a 4 milliion dollar contract... you know... just because we don't need that extra 3.3 anyways.

These contracts show that Bob is literally incompetent in the salary cap era. In fact, many here don't remember (or don't follow anything outside the Canadiens) but Gainey's final days in Dallas were marred with two abysmal UFA signings; Pierre Turgeon and Donald Audette. What did Bob do 6 months later? Cut and run.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:33 AM
JV

Much hysteria about not so much.

A few observations:

This team has always been about .500 or below without Markov in the lineup.

Gionta is more important than people realize.

I think if the room comes together to deal with the adversity we can make it to the dance.

I understand how upsetting it is when the team can make the Jets look like Central Red Army circa 1977.

We need to stick together, as fans, and each do his part. I'm baking cookies.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:33 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
you are right, but the argument (with the other poster) was that Cammy was such a great signing. I donèt dislike him but Gainey bcould have done better.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:35 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Anyway, options(that surfaced) right now are:

a)Gauthier trying to save his job
b)Gainey on interim, not trying to save his job

Hmmm...
Which is ironic because PG is trying to save his job that's in jeopardy due to Gainey's cluster****ing in the first place.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:42 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Which is ironic because PG is trying to save his job that's in jeopardy due to Gainey's cluster****ing in the first place.
Sorry i cant get into a conversation with a poster, that hopes to get some sort of credibility here. Calling B Gainey a puke ? Really ? Wow !

Old
12-23-2011, 10:42 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
you are right, but the argument (with the other poster) was that Cammy was such a great signing. I donèt dislike him but Gainey bcould have done better.
Better with who at the time?

Quote:
Gainey acquired Kaberle? Gainey signed Markov? etc...

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Enough said!!!!
You have to compare apples with apples and not oranges.

You brough forth a bunch of the best "values" out there, mostly because they are players that chose to re-sign long term with their own teams at a discount instead of getting more as UFA's.

Hossa was a UFA but he signed for like 12 years, he makes almost 8 mil/year but has a lower cap hit because of the last few years. Those are cap friendly contracts but risky if the player gets complacent or unhappy and you have to try and trade him.

If you compare Gionta's contract to those UFA forwards that signed last summer(Leino Fleishmann etc) it makes a lot of sense. Those guys don't have his career record and Stanley Cup and make almost as much(4.5/year vs 5/year).

If you compared Subban last year(875k) to basically any d-man in the NHL they would look overpaid.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Gauthier came in, the team went to the conference finals and the year after he tought the team could win the stanley cup so he did nothing significant to bring the team over the top. He thought we would repeat the "allowing 50 shots a game but win" performance.

That alone there shows you that Gauthier and Gainey are on the same level as far as lack of judgement goes.

I don't feel sorry for Gauthier a single bit.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote