HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Come April, is this a playoff team?

View Poll Results: Will the Sabres make the playoffs?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 21 31.82%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

vCash: 500
top 5 in the conference

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:59 PM
clumping platelets

I believe the team can and will make the playoffs. HOWEVER, this team is not presently constructed to win in the playoffs.

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:07 PM
the furnace dude

Buffalo always starts playing better after Jan 1

As long as I have been watching the Sabres, they have always tend be either slow starters or win one/lose one in Oct - Dec. Usually after Jan 1 is when they get going. It has happened many times.

About that time this year, many injured players will be coming back to the club or getting close to healthy. Our young players will return to Rochester with the benefit
of getting NHL minutes which will allow them to be better experienced for their next callup. The roster will get settled down and we will make our run to the playoffs.

I have been reading the posts with amusement. Fire Lindy, Fire Darcy, Fire Terry Pegula... When injuries occur, it changes everything on a team and teams stuggle. Every team goes through it during the season, and we will gain lost ground when it happens to other teams. With the amount of injuries Buffalo had, it is a miracle that they won any games in the last month.

Anyhow, this is a good team (not perfect) when healthy. They will make the playoffs. Go Sabres!!!

the furnace dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:40 PM
moltenlava26

I don't see them making it. The core is healthy. 2 of the top 3 defensemen are healthy, and Myers stunk up the joint until he was benched. It's not like we have Crosby and he is injured coming back. This team needs a makeover.

moltenlava26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Squantosawuss

The Sabres could get into the playoffs, but with this core, they'll do NO damage.

This team SHOULDN'T win a Cup even with all it's players healthy.

A deep playoff team is a strong team with lots of talent.

Boston
Chicago
Detroit
Philadelphia
Vancouver

THOSE are solid playoff teams. Does ANYTHING about the Sabres remind you of those teams?

Not even a little. The core of this team would be on the 2nd & 3rd line of a real Cup contender.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 12-21-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
The Sabres could get into the playoffs, but with this core, they'll do NO damage.

This team SHOULDN'T win a Cup even with all it's players healthy.

A deep playoff team is a strong team with lots of talent.

Boston
Chicago
Detroit
Philadelphia
Vancouver

THOSE are solid playoff teams. Does ANYTHING about the Sabres remind you of those teams?

Not even a little. The core of this team would be on the 2nd & 3rd line of a real Cup contender.
Right...

Vanek and Pominville would be on the reigning champs third line.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:53 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Right...

Vanek and Pominville would be on the reigning champs third line.
No, Vanek and Pominville wouldn't be on the 3rd line.

But they'd def not be on the first. I am NOT basing this observation on the first part of the season where the schedule was especially soft.

Old
12-22-2011, 03:35 AM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
No, Vanek and Pominville wouldn't be on the 3rd line.

But they'd def not be on the first. I am NOT basing this observation on the first part of the season where the schedule was especially soft.
Name me ten LWs better than Vanek.... Bet you can't name five. (Oh he's playing better than Ovechkin right now)

If Ruff gets this team to the SC finals everyone on this board should take a year oath of not wanting to fire him (too bad it's not going to happen)

Ruff will wake up and drop his failed trap system.... and this team will hit the playoffs..... and if they get lucky play Florida in the first round... because they have no chance against Philly/Pittsburg/Boston

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:38 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Do they make it?
I'm not so sure anymore.

Bruins
Pens

Philly
Rangers

Florida

Then you go:

Washington
NJ
Toronto
Buffalo
Ottawa

Even ignoring the fact that the Habs or Lightning could get hot and get in in the mix, I'm not that sure I'd bet this team can beat out the rest for a top-8 spot if they continue to have injury woes.

I'm gonna say...
They make it as the 7th or 8th seed... And lose 4-1 to either Boston or Pittsburgh/Philly.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
If Ruff gets this team to the SC finals everyone on this board should take a year oath of not wanting to fire him (too bad it's not going to happen)
If this team, even healthy, GETS to the SC Finals, there is something seriously wrong with this league.

Even when healthy, this team is weak.....and I'm sure deep down you know that. The core, sans Vanek, is mostly useless and can't hold a candle to the core players on the better teams.

The earlier part of the season was stacked with mostly weak opponents, giving many the mistaken impression that when healthy, by God, this team will be good! Go look at the Oct & Nov schedule, you'll see it's mostly a who's who of bottomfeeders. I'm surprised so many gloss right over that fact. No wonder the team was able to look like superstars early in the season. Unfortunately, people are grabbing onto short burst as some validation that the team is better than it really is. And as you can already see with the schedule getting tougher, the core of this team, which has been mostly healthy, cannot match up with the better teams....and as a result are struggling.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 12-22-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old
12-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
They'll stumble in and lose in the first round, continuing the string of mediocrity.
This is what I'm expecting - unless the underachievers (which is basically everyone other than Vanek, Pominville and Regehr) on the roster pick it up, I can't see them rising above the pack. And if they finish in the bottom 4 of the playoff mix, they've proven they don't match up well with the likes of Philly, Boston or Pittsburgh.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:17 PM
sabresandcanucks

The talent, when healthy, is there to make the playoffs. This team started slow last year as well...I'm curious what type of hockey they will be playing in late January. If they miss the playoffs Ruff has to go. I really feel that too many players simply are not playing up to their capacity, which is a coaching issue if it continues when the team gets back to 100%.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:55 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

I expect them to hang around most of the season in 8th - 10th until we get close to the trade deadline, and then sink or swim based what happens with trades.

A solid move at the deadline could give the team enough of a spark to squeak in as a 7/8 seed, maybe higher with some help from other teams.

I don't expect a lottery pick or a top 4 seed, but other than that, anything from 6th to 12th wouldn't really surprise me.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:46 PM
BuffaloSabskis

Healthy I think this is a good team. Just because some of the hurt players have played poorly at times this season does not mean they are going to the whole season. If Gerbe,Boyes,Leino had been in and scored 6 or 7 goals between them over the last 10 games and Myers would have been on the PP we could have a few more points and there would not even be talk of this right now. Every team gets injuries over the season, but this is more then most at once. To answer the question Yes I think they get in, but I do think a trade or two and maybe a coaching change needs to happen to have a good run.

BuffaloSabskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

no. they will tank with a noob coach

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenlava26 View Post
I don't see them making it. The core is healthy. 2 of the top 3 defensemen are healthy, and Myers stunk up the joint until he was benched. It's not like we have Crosby and he is injured coming back. This team needs a makeover.
This team's strength is depth. The depth is gone. Therefore we are struggling hard. Its simple logic that people want to ignore and label excuses.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote