HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Personal Ties to Rangers

Old
12-21-2011, 12:19 AM
adam94
BU Terriers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
This made me think of another. My fiancee while doing a medical rotation in LI wound up in an elevator with Dubi's aunt or something.... So I'll venture a guess that you live out in LI? Nassau County?
Indeed, I've been living here around 10 years but I only realized he has family here about a year ago. I believe his cousin is around my age, and according to Facebook she is single so...maybe talking to her doesn't seem like such a bad idea

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Cruxial

My aunt and Don Maloney's wife are lifelong friends, and were in one another's wedding parties. My aunt and uncle hung out with Don and Dave and the rest of the guys, though mostly Don and Dave, in the 80s.

My uncle has some pretty crazy stories about Boxcar among others.

Cruxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:11 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam94 View Post
Indeed, I've been living here around 10 years but I only realized he has family here about a year ago. I believe his cousin is around my age, and according to Facebook she is single so...maybe talking to her doesn't seem like such a bad idea
Is she hot? Maybe some of us should take the MDZ route.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:19 AM
Black Tank

My wife works for someone on the Knicks so whenever we're back in NY and go to Rangers' games, we sit in the employees' box. Every time we've been there, the other side of the box has been aunts, uncles, cousins etc of the players and they always ask us whose relatives we are... Haven't been back since the refurb so I wonder what the layout will be like now.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
When John Mitchell was on the Marlies he somehow wound up at this house party my friend threw... with Scott Clemmenson and Robbie Earl. John was kinda odd. Scott was really cool. He was baggin on Gomez who we had just gotten at the time, talking about his days as a Devil.

So yeah, there ya go. Got drunk with a current Ranger at a random house party in Houston.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:24 PM
badbob2222

My dad drove trains for the LIRR & I went with him to Penn Station. We went upstairs to Nathans & there was about 6 to 8 rangers in there eating hot dogs and laughing. It seemed like none of them had any teeth & the only one I remember is Brad Park. My dad told me to go get their autographs but I was too shy

badbob2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Hey guys I just want to brake the news.. I am Wayne Gretzky.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 05:09 PM
ReverbAndDelay
In on the Kill Taker

In high school I played house league during the off season. Norman Rochfort's kids also played at the rink. he and my parents were actually quite friendly. he was such a nice guy!

I also used to help out with the goalie clinics at my local rink, of which sam rosen's kid used to attend. He'd be there pretty frequently to watch his son. I never did meet him though. I was a stupid kid who thought "if i burn Sam rosen's kid constantly, he'll HAVE to tell the rangers about me" lol he always looked at me like he wanted me dead. Gee, i wonder why!

Finally, as a kid i remember riding my bike to my friends house, when out of nowhere this ford explorer began creeping next to me REALLY slowly. Naturally, i was a bit freaked out, but finally turned to look at this person and shout obscenities. Turns out it was Kris King who shouted "nice hat, kid!" and took off. Naturally, I was wearing my rangers cap

ReverbAndDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
Hey guys I just want to brake the news.. I am Wayne Gretzky.

Not possible. There can't be two of us.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:50 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
I used to intern in the OHL and one of my jobs was to pull guys off the ice at the end of periods for TV interviews. So, I've had conversations with a lot of guys who are in the NHL now...Cally, Marc Staal, Pat Kane, David Bolland, Bobby Ryan, Steve Downie...all of them were pretty cool guys. The only real jackass I ever met was John Tavares...but I guess if I was 16 and that good at hockey I'd be cocky too.

I also got really lucky at my last job. The Rangers, Penguins, Flyers and Panthers all came to train at our hockey rink (it was a NCAA D1 school) and I got to interview a lot of guys for video features for our website. I got totally starstruck by Brendan Shannahan and only got one question off before some guy from TSN took over. I also had a good 30 minute conversation with Colby Armstrong...awesome guy...really down to earth. I got to interview Crosby, Fleury, Recchi, Mike Richards, Olli Jokinen Boumeester and Tom Renney among others.

I also once sat next to NHL ref Dan O'Rouke on a plane ride from Detroit to Atlanta. After I found out who he was I apologized for most likely having boo'ed him in the past. He said "oh its ok...I probably deserved it!"

Long story short...work in athletics...you get to meet a lot of guys that you see on TV haha.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:03 PM
dynamoovechkin

I met Ville Niemenen and talked with him for about 20 min when he was doing an event for the Gym I belonged to. Best player he ever played with- Forsberg. Best athlete he ever played with- Iginla. Super nice guy. Raved about the Ranger organization.

Played pickup against Robitaille when he owned the rink I played in. Very down to earth, pleasant guy, all he did was set guys up for easy goals all day long- what a talent.

Had lunch next to Peter Stemkowski. Was dying to chat him up about his Ranger career and that OT goal against Chicago, but decided to leave him to his meal.

Sat at a table next to Marty Straka back when he was with LA, clearly on a first date with a pretty average looking chick. He was charming and entertaining, but I could tell it was a crappy first date- seriously doubt he got any.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I was in Starbucks before the game yesterday and I saw Adam Graves. Talked to him for a few. Says he loves Avery's game, would like to see him get in lineup eventually.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:23 AM
g3cko

cool thread so far. i once met eric leetch when he was playing for the army hockey team. that's all i got.

g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Really? I just assumed all of Dubi's family lived in Alaska too I guess, haha.
Dubi's dad Bill grew up on Long Island. So the family has roots in New York. Pretty cool as dad was also a life long Rangers fan.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:59 PM
JayQueensNY88*

My ex ex ( 2 ex's ago ) Mother baby sitted Richters kid when he moved to CT after retiring.being she is a babysitter.

My girlfriend use to work in a Salon where garthSnow use to come in and get his hair cut.hes gave my girl tickets a few times.

I also went on a date with some girl quit a while ago who hung out with Aaron asham.She said dudes married,parties with the yay and is an *******.tried taking her home for the night.They were at a club. she was pretty dope this girl.

I work with a guy who's wives brother inlaw or sister in law is cousins with NYR equiptment mnagerA.M(dont know how to spell his name)

When I was in the Carpenters union i was friends with a kid who played with R.Schremp and told me about 2 yrs before he was drafted about him.Played with him in Syracuse.

Last edited by JayQueensNY88*: 12-26-2011 at 04:04 PM.
JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Mark Messier is my Dad and Callahan is my next door neighbor. also, when i was in college i "experimented" with Dubinsky. dunno if that counts tho.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
and just so you know this isn't just some random semi-attractive 20 year old girl, she's a model and she's won some awards, so she's at least somewhat well known. obviously not going to put her name out there or anything but figured it would be more believable if i let you guys know that
Awards for what? Making the honor roll?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Fanned On It

My family owns the Brewster Ice Arena in Brewster, NY, which is about 45 mins up from the city so over the last summer I shared an open-hockey session with Anisimov while he was taking a lesson from one of our instructors here.. dude is tall on skates lemme tell ya, he's a lanker lol. Also, and this is the coolest part, my dad used to make the Rangers' GAME JERSEYS back in mid-late 90's in his pro-shop in Yonkers. He is especially infamous for spelling Gretzky's name wrong before one of their games and Gretzky ACTUALLY wore the jersey without knowing it... Needless to say, my dad got his balls broken the next day by pretty much every one of his friends hahaha.

Another cool thing... my uncle keeps time for the Ranger games at the Garden pretty often, don't really know how he got that job, lol.. Our rink is pretty affiliated with the rangers it seems, so we (especially my uncle who owns the rink) get a lot of chances to do cool things that are Ranger related. Like on Halloween me and my GF had nothing to do and my dad called me up and said "Hey Dave, the Rangers gave us 30 free tickets today because they couldn't sell out, you want some?" Uh... yes please. ANOTHER plus about working in the pro shop was meeting Marty Biron... His son plays here on the mite bulldog team (or mini-mites i'm not sure.) So I met him for the first time a month or 2 ago and he was a real cool guy... Very laid back and easy-going.

Sooo yeah... LETS GO RANGERS!

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Leetch66

That is great stuff !!!!!!!!!

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote