HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking back 7 years/Jaromir Jagr appreciation

Old
12-23-2011, 11:20 AM
terrrrrible

vCash: 500
No care for Jagr. I'll always see him as a Pen, and no care now that he's a Flyer.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He wanted to get paid. He always does. He was making huge money here just not all of it counted against the cap.
I'm sorry, but I can't stand this line of reasoning. This is professional sports, not charity. What Jagr did is no different than probably 95% of people...you can probably include your "heart & soul" Lundqvist in that statistic. Last I checked he's getting paid the most money of all goalies in this league.

Let's see Sather try to screwgie him come contract time and we'll see how heart & soul he really is.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:29 AM
John Torturella

The bitterness for Jagr is really funny. The guy was almost solely responsible for our first playoff appearance in almost a decade. Gotta give him props for that.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
i don't know how anyone can say they were fine when jagr left. he was the best player in the league during those playoffs and we replaced him with naslund. how could anyone be fine with that?
Jagr wanted money and a multi-year 35+ contract after a shockingly bad season, then rejected the Rangers offer on a 1 year deal. He could have stuck around and finished what he started if he was so proud of his "accomplishments" here and thought it was a path to success. Instead.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
...he did go play in Russia.

....for the cash.
I like what I see on the ice today. It wouldn't look like this if the team committed to building around Jagr 4 years ago. I was "fine" with his choice to turn his back on the team then and I'm MORE than "fine" with it now.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Torturella View Post
The bitterness for Jagr is really funny. The guy was almost solely responsible for our first playoff appearance in almost a decade. Gotta give him props for that.
I completely agree. If it wasn't for Jagr and Hank we would have been one of the worst if not the worst team in the NHL. They soley made us contenders that year.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
I really wish he never broke Grave's single season goal record. I'd much rather a real Ranger like Adam hold it.
Boo freaking hoo.

Would you have rather the team lost a few games extra that season if Jagr would have scored less? Grow up already. Consider yourself lucky to have witnessed a terrific offensive season from a player wearing broadway blue and move on.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Jagr wanted money and a multi-year 35+ contract after a shockingly bad season, then rejected the Rangers offer on a 1 year deal. He could have stuck around and finished what he started if he was so proud of his "accomplishments" here and thought it was a path to success. Instead.........
Yea, it was "shockingly bad" when he led the team in scoring in the playoffs, and proved to be the only skater on our team that could answer to a talented team like Sidney & the Pens...

And a 1 year contract is completely appropriate for the most talented player on the team...sure...

The fact that he left is basically insignficant at this point. Who's fault was it? Should he have accepted a sub par contract with Gomez & Drury around? Doesn't really matter. The team has changed and it's worked out for the better. But I just can't understand the venom I read from Ranger fans over a player that did nothing but actually live up to expectations wearing our sweater. I didn't want to like him when we got him, but he changed my mind through his talents, his character, his willingness to sacrifice himself to get into scoring position, & yes even his hard work. I mean of all the b.s. and disappointments we've seen as fans, it shocks me the lack of appreciation that Jagr gets.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:45 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Boo freaking hoo.

Would you have rather the team lost a few games extra that season if Jagr would have scored less? Grow up already. Consider yourself lucky to have witnessed a terrific offensive season from a player wearing broadway blue and move on.
Easy there big guy. He had a great year, and no matter what that guy is a Penguin forever to me, while Graves is a true Ranger great.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:51 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

As much as I loved Jagr while he was here... the team would probably be better today if they never traded for him. Then again, no one knows how the Rangers course of history would have been if Jagr wasn't here. Would they have signed Gomez if there was no Jagr? If no Gomez, then no McD. Maybe Sather would have signed some other big name, who knows?

Anyway, I'm proud to have one of the top teams in the East and the only one who hasn't had a top 5 pick in recent years in order to get there. This team was built the right way and it's very rare to see in today's NHL. The Jagr years were very entertaining even if we never got past the 2nd round (thanks Malik).

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:59 AM
OverTheCap

Jagr helped bring this team back to respectability and for that I will be grateful. That 7 year playoff drought could have been longer if not for him.

Anyway, here's an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal about the circumstances surrounding Jagr's departure in NY:

Quote:
Jagr had signed a seven-year, $77-million deal with Washington in 2001, and as a condition of his trade to the Rangers, the Capitals had agreed to pick up a substantial portion of his salary. Rangers general manager Glen Sather, however, had been reluctant to negotiate a new contract for Jagr during the season, according to a person familiar with the organization's thinking, and as the team's leading scorer and marquee performer, Jagr took the front office's inaction as a small insult.

"I didn't feel like I was part of wherever they wanted to go," he said.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...352285376.html

The Drury and Gomez signings was the beginning of the end for Jagr. Slats was willing to negotiate a contract extensions with Tyutin and Girardi that season, and Straka, Hollwegg, Orr, etc. during the season before, but not our leading points scorer and captain. I can't blame Jags for feeling a bit slighted.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:03 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I'd give him his standing O, if only for 05/06. And he gave us that 07/08 playoff knowing he wouldn't be with the team next season? That has to count for something.

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:11 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Never liked Jagr before he came to the Rangers. Begrudgingly appreciated what he did here. Didn't really care when he left. Find it interesting that he seems happier with the Flyers (more smiles and his stupid salutes) than he ever did here.
Probably because the Flyers are cup contenders.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:17 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Probably because the Flyers are cup contenders.
Yeah for 15 years running. I've yet to see a cup though.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:18 PM
savebyrichter35

I'm not criticizing anyone because you're all entitled to your own opinions but I'm honestly surprised how many people are saying they're gonna cheer for him, even if just for his first shift. I loved Jagr when he was here and am extremely grateful for helping to bring this team back to the playoffs, however I don't get why people are acting like we treated him unfairly when we didn't re-sign him. Can anyone honestly say they don't like the direction this team has gone in since they moved on from him?

Bottom line is, he's not a home grown heart and soul guy, and he didn't bring us a cup. He was a FA signing who brought us to the 2nd round of the playoffs so I don't have any real emotional attachment to him, and now he's wearing a Flyers sweater. So like I said in the GDT, he's not getting any cheers from me. **** him and his team.

savebyrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Yea, it was "shockingly bad" when he led the team in scoring in the playoffs, and proved to be the only skater on our team that could answer to a talented team like Sidney & the Pens...

And a 1 year contract is completely appropriate for the most talented player on the team...sure...

The fact that he left is basically insignficant at this point. Who's fault was it? Should he have accepted a sub par contract with Gomez & Drury around? Doesn't really matter. The team has changed and it's worked out for the better. But I just can't understand the venom I read from Ranger fans over a player that did nothing but actually live up to expectations wearing our sweater. I didn't want to like him when we got him, but he changed my mind through his talents, his character, his willingness to sacrifice himself to get into scoring position, & yes even his hard work. I mean of all the b.s. and disappointments we've seen as fans, it shocks me the lack of appreciation that Jagr gets.
Im not going to bash Jagr - he was fun to watch the majority of his time here.

But the reality of it is his time here was just a band-aid for the organization. Your argument that the team "changed" while he was here is simply untrue. In fact, it was just "more of the same" with the ridiculous Gomez/Drury/Redden signings. It just happened to be masked a bit by Jagr's supreme talent, which was on the decline by his final season.

I also cant understand the logic of compounding the problems with the aforementioned ridiculous signings by giving a +35 Jagr a multi-year deal worth $7M+, making the situation an even bigger problem.

A better argument can be made that the team really started to "change" when he left.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:19 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

-Making the playoffs and not having any reasonable chance to do anything there is not respectable. It's called mediocre, or barely above that, and it only delays the rebuilding process for bad teams like the Rangers were.

-The Rangers were never contenders when Jagr was here. They had one season as an above average club, 2006-07.

-The Rangers could have been where they are today several years ago if they had never acquired Jagr at all. You know, like a rebuilding team might have done. Jagr's presence here essentially delayed the inevitable and probably cost us several year's of Lundqvist's career. Jagr's presence cost us a chance to draft in the top 3-4 for a season or two.

-Jagr never played defense, routinely took his time skating leisurely back to the bench after shifts while opposing teams got odd man rushes against. This happened virtually every game and a bunch of goals against every year were a result of that.

-The fact that the Rangers single season goal record belongs to a guy who got it in a season where scoring was ridiculously inflated sucks. Yeah, Jagr scored 56 goals the way Gomez scored 33 and Gionta scored 48. Give me a ****ing break.

-The team's "success" because of Jagr, and the resulting delusions about the team's greatness, spurred them to sign Gomez and Drury.

-Jagr didn't look anywhere near as good in 2007-08 as he does this season, but he wanted a ******** of money to stay, anyway. Remember how he didn't feel he could properly assume his role as a leader of a team unless he was paid like one, or whatever ******** he said?

Jagr is a great player, arguably the greatest European player of all-time. Watching him play was enjoyable, but his presence here did more harm than good for this franchise. His presence here allowed Sather to continue destroying this team, and if it weren't for Bob Gainey agreeing to make one of the worst moves in the history of the league, the Rangers would still be in the nightmarish scenario that stemmed from Jagr and his time with the club.

And, once again, I can't stand when this team gets hated players from huge rivals. I don't want to see guys I have a deep-seeded hatred for skating in Ranger sweaters. I want to beat those players. I didn't want Lindros, I didn't want Holik, I didn't want Kasparaitis, I didn't want Jagr, I didn't want Gomez. Get your own damn players! I don't care how good they are. I don't want Parise, either. I want New York Rangers!

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:23 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I don't want to see guys I have a deep-seeded hatred for skating in Ranger sweaters. I want to beat those players. I didn't want Lindros, I didn't want Holik, I didn't want Kasparaitis, I didn't want Jagr, I didn't want Gomez. Get your own damn players! I don't care how good they are.
**** YEAH!

Quote:
I don't want Parise, either.
Whoa...wait a minute, now.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

I consider a 25 point drop-off a shocker, especially on team that was supposed to be significantly better. Personally, I thought that signaled the beginning of his decline.

People were jumping off bridges around here when Nylander didn't get the multi-year offer he demanded. He then proceeded to be the poster boy for why don't hand out multi-year 35+ contracts. It's a rule that can cripple a team's cap position if anything goes wrong and I won't support one for anyone.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

I agree with you Sting, but at the same time Sather literally was able to get Jagr for nothing. We've seen time and time again he's not going to let this team not have a star on it or do a correct rebuild, so I was fine with the move. He's an enjoyable player to watch when he's motivated, and while in retrospect it might have been nice to be a bit worse during those years and line up a few better draft picks, being a playoff team those years was enjoyable at the time, and it's far too easy just to expect the team to have drafted better players then.

That being said, anyone who is still upset that Sather didn't resign Jagr back then is kidding themselves. His shoulder was cooked, and the only reason he's even able to play now is because he went to the KHL and had a far less demanding work load. He was barely effective as a scorer in his last few months here, and giving him the money he wanted would have been a tremendous mistake (although it's not like that money went to good use either way).

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Torturella View Post
Rangers don't sniff the playoffs w/o Lundqvist between the pipes. He was 10X more valuable to the team than Jagr.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:29 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Prucha lost a degree of speed after that knee on knee hit from Turner Stevenson when he was on Philly. Never looked quite the same from there.
Always the talentless bums who put out the talented players...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:33 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Rangers don't sniff the playoffs w/o Lundqvist between the pipes. He was 10X more valuable to the team than Jagr.
I'm not so sure about that. More so in the last two years I'd agree but in 05-06, Jagr was the Rangers offense.

12-23-2011, 12:34 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
-Making the playoffs and not having any reasonable chance to do anything there is not respectable. It's called mediocre, or barely above that, and it only delays the rebuilding process for bad teams like the Rangers were.

-The Rangers were never contenders when Jagr was here. They had one season as an above average club, 2006-07.

-The Rangers could have been where they are today several years ago if they had never acquired Jagr at all. You know, like a rebuilding team might have done. Jagr's presence here essentially delayed the inevitable and probably cost us several year's of Lundqvist's career. Jagr's presence cost us a chance to draft in the top 3-4 for a season or two.

-Jagr never played defense, routinely took his time skating leisurely back to the bench after shifts while opposing teams got odd man rushes against. This happened virtually every game and a bunch of goals against every year were a result of that.

-The fact that the Rangers single season goal record belongs to a guy who got it in a season where scoring was ridiculously inflated sucks. Yeah, Jagr scored 56 goals the way Gomez scored 33 and Gionta scored 48. Give me a ****ing break.

-The team's "success" because of Jagr, and the resulting delusions about the team's greatness, spurred them to sign Gomez and Drury.

-Jagr didn't look anywhere near as good in 2007-08 as he does this season, but he wanted a ******** of money to stay, anyway. Remember how he didn't feel he could properly assume his role as a leader of a team unless he was paid like one, or whatever ******** he said?

Jagr is a great player, arguably the greatest European player of all-time. Watching him play was enjoyable, but his presence here did more harm than good for this franchise. His presence here allowed Sather to continue destroying this team, and if it weren't for Bob Gainey agreeing to make one of the worst moves in the history of the league, the Rangers would still be in the nightmarish scenario that stemmed from Jagr and his time with the club.

And, once again, I can't stand when this team gets hated players from huge rivals. I don't want to see guys I have a deep-seeded hatred for skating in Ranger sweaters. I want to beat those players. I didn't want Lindros, I didn't want Holik, I didn't want Kasparaitis, I didn't want Jagr, I didn't want Gomez. Get your own damn players! I don't care how good they are. I don't want Parise, either. I want New York Rangers!
we were definetly contenders in 06/07. a few seconds away from going up 3-2 to buffalo.

jagr never played defense, neither does richards. so **** him too right?

and you forgot to mention how great he was in the 08 playoffs.

and your rant about only wanting new york rangers is weak. jagr played great for the team. don't act like you didn't enjoy it. and to say you dont want parise is dumb.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:35 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

If no Jagr/Straka/Nylander/Rozsival/Malik, the Rangers are a bottom 4 team in the NHL in 2005-06. Here are the top 5 picks in the 2006 draft:

1) Erik Johnson
2) Jordan Staal
3) Jonathan Toews
4) Niklas Backstrom
5) Phil Kessel

They could have easily been just as bad the next year and had a shot at drafting Patrick Kane.

Yeah, the team is very nice the way it is today, but did you enjoy 2007-08? How about 2008-09? 2009-10? All pretty ****** seasons, if you ask me. ****** hockey, ****** teams, no chances at tangible playoff success.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:36 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
not in 05/06. jagr put the team on his back and should have won the mvp. yes hank was a factor but that year was all jagr.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote