HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

12/22/11 "Holiday Road" - Panthers VS Senators

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
For comparison purposes, Clemmer has a lower GAA than Roberto Louongo and Carey Price, Markstrom, Kipper, Bryzgalove, Miller and a higher Save Percentage than Vokoun, Craig Anderson, Cam Ward, Jonas Hiller, Bryzgalov.

He's not nearly as bad as people want to believe. Sorry guys.
And you could also say that Dov Grumet-Morris has a better save percentage and GAA than Markstrom so people should be calling for him to be brought up from Rampage instead.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:20 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
That's fandom. I completely get that we can look at the same plays and perceive them differently, I respect your opinion on this, but i think last night and overall clemmer is just a serviceable backup at best. I think he will cost us points where the available option of Markstrom won't. And if that makes the difference at the end of the year that will be tragic.

As to why I ask to keep the development aside, because that's simply another subjective argument as to where Markstrom is best served; I'm just flushing out one issue at a time.

Clemmer has earned at least a point in every start. Markstrom had a couple of weak games, iirc, towards the end of his stay up here. We've had a sample of Markstrom and he's shown flashes of brilliance. It's exciting to think about him playing but he'll be riding the bench and it's not easy to come in when you don't play often and start. Clemmer when you compare him to the other backups is in the top 1/3, top 1/2 at worst. Maybe Theo has been just that good that he skews the perspective of how Clemmer has played. Clemmer is getting us points. That's all that really matters.

Theo has a .923 save % and a 2.31 GAA. Those are very very good numbers. This is probably why people think Clemmer is so bad. Theo is one of the top goalies this year.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:24 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers are Red View Post
And you could also say that Dov Grumet-Morris has a better save percentage and GAA than Markstrom so people should be calling for him to be brought up from Rampage instead.
Yeah, if you're illogical and have no perspective on anything.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:26 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
The Clemmensen bashing has gone too far over here. I admit that he isn't the best backup in the league and makes you go every 2,5 minutes, but he isn't the worst either. .907 SV%, 2.41 GAA, 3 wins and 2 OT losses. Give the guy a break will you.
recap of clemmensen's starts:

6-0 win vs. dallas where dallas didn't show up to play, wasn't tested once.

5-4 win vs washington, where we almost blew a 5-1 lead thanks to a couple of softies.

5-3 win over SJ, where he didn't play poorly but not flawless either.

2-1 OT loss in buffalo.

4-3 OT loss in ottawa - his fault we lost

.907 save % is pretty mediocre. score 5 goals for clemmer and he's great i guess, but so are most NHL goalies.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:32 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
first of all - in regards to the floating wrister comment, i was talking about the first goal, which neil tipped. so before you go attacking me, you may want to learn how to read.

secondly - karlsson's goal was a slapshot, but not a particularly hard one and had all day to shoot. clemmensen has to find that puck, and using a screen as an excuse, is just that, an excuse. he had a good amount of time to realize the shot was coming. it's his responsibility to find that puck.

funny, how the good goalies tend to be more difficult to screen, no? finding the puck is part of being a good goalie. something clemmensen is not.

i defended him after everyone attacked him after the buffalo loss. breakaways are breakaways, and clemmensen may suck at stopping them, but ultimately a defensive breakdown is truly at fault. but last night, we lost because scott clemmensen sucks, plain and simple. despite all the injuries, despite losing weiss 3 shifts into the game, we outplayed ottawa all night and lost because of clemmensen. plain and simple.

hope you enjoy being a scott clemmensen apologist, must be fun.
So you're blaming a deflection on Clemmer? haha, come on. this is getting outrageous. Nobody is blaming any goalie when the puck gets deflected in front of the net like that. That's exactly why it was a "floating wrist shot" so it could get deflected. Karlsson is one of the best offensive d-men in the game right now so that can hardly believed to be an unintentional play. Perhaps you should be more reasonable.

I apologize for my interpretation of your ambiguous post.

LOL, all day to shoot? Clemmer was screened and what are you talking about, "good goalies tend to be more difficult to screen"???? what? That's on the d-men to move the screen. Clemmer tried to look around it but that happens in hockey. Give some credit where credit is due. Karlsson put the puck off the inside post while Ottawa screened Clemmer. Oh, and all day? Maybe you should blame Flash, iirc, who didn't cover his man at the point allowing Karlsson to accurately shoot the puck around the screen. Or do you expect Clemmer to cover the point man too?

I'm not a Clemmenson apologist. You're wrong so I'm pointing it out.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:34 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Yeah, if you're illogical and have no perspective on anything.
i think you just proved his point.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:36 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
recap of clemmensen's starts:

6-0 win vs. dallas where dallas didn't show up to play, wasn't tested once.

5-4 win vs washington, where we almost blew a 5-1 lead thanks to a couple of softies.

5-3 win over SJ, where he didn't play poorly but not flawless either.

2-1 OT loss in buffalo.

4-3 OT loss in ottawa - his fault we lost

.907 save % is pretty mediocre. score 5 goals for clemmer and he's great i guess, but so are most NHL goalies.
Compare him to other backups and see where he stands. He would be a mediocre starter. He's a decent backup. Stop comparing him to Theo. He's a backup. Why do you think Torts said Biron isn't a backup, we have a 1 in Henrik and 1a Biron. Take a look at Biron's stats. You're expectations of performance are completely unrealistic for a backup.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:39 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
i think you just proved his point.
No, that comparison is nothing like what I was saying.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:43 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Compare him to other backups and see where he stands. He would be a mediocre starter. He's a decent backup. Stop comparing him to Theo. He's a backup. You're expectations of performance are completely unrealistic for a backup.
This, people need to realise that Clemmensen is just and only a backup. He is gone at the end of the season if it makes you Clemmensen haters happier.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
So you're blaming a deflection on Clemmer? haha, come on. this is getting outrageous. Nobody is blaming any goalie when the puck gets deflected in front of the net like that. That's exactly why it was a "floating wrist shot" so it could get deflected. Karlsson is one of the best offensive d-men in the game right now so that can hardly believed to be an unintentional play. Perhaps you should be more reasonable.

I apologize for my interpretation of your ambiguous post.
you apparently are still struggling to understand my post, so until you do, you're not worth even discussing this with.
Quote:
LOL, all day to shoot? Clemmer was screened and what are you talking about, "good goalies tend to be more difficult to screen"???? what? That's on the d-men to move the screen. Clemmer tried to look around it but that happens in hockey. Give some credit where credit is due. Karlsson put the puck off the inside post while Ottawa screened Clemmer. Oh, and all day? Maybe you should blame Flash, iirc, who didn't cover his man at the point allowing Karlsson to accurately shoot the puck around the screen. Or do you expect Clemmer to cover the point man too?
i expect a goalie to stop a shot from there, plain and simple. i'm usually pretty easy on goalies, as i am one myself, and feel they get far too much blame. but when a player has that much time to shoot, and makes it that obvious that they're going to shoot, you have no excuses. did fleishmann make a good play there? obviously not, but neither did clemmensen.

Quote:
I'm not a Clemmenson apologist. You're wrong so I'm pointing it out
you keep telling yourself that....you're probably naive enough to actually believe it. hit me up when you learn how to read.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:51 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
you apparently are still struggling to understand my post, so until you do, you're not worth even discussing this with.

i expect a goalie to stop a shot from there, plain and simple. i'm usually pretty easy on goalies, as i am one myself, and feel they get far too much blame. but when a player has that much time to shoot, and makes it that obvious that they're going to shoot, you have no excuses. did fleishmann make a good play there? obviously not, but neither did clemmensen.

you keep telling yourself that....you're probably naive enough to actually believe it. hit me up when you learn how to read.
Watch the replay. He didn't over commit as you seem to think he did. You're completely, 100% wrong.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:56 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Compare him to other backups and see where he stands. He would be a mediocre starter. He's a decent backup. Stop comparing him to Theo. He's a backup. Why do you think Torts said Biron isn't a backup, we have a 1 in Henrik and 1a Biron. Take a look at Biron's stats. You're expectations of performance are completely unrealistic for a backup.
i never compared him to theodore first of all. second of all, theodore was a backup the last two seasons.

second of all - stats prove nothing. tortorella can say whatever he wants. if you believe martin biron is even in the same breath as henrik lundqvist you've lost all credibility (if you have any left, that is)

if you want to play the stats game: here are a few backup goalies with better save %'s than clemmensen:

ray emery (who is awful)
js gigure (awful)
curtis sanford (was in the AHL the last few years)
dan ellis (awful)
chris mason (awful)
sergei bobrovsky (good young goalie, but struggling a bit for PHI with high shots)
johan hedberg
evgeni nabokov/al montoya (whichever you consider a "backup for NYI)
richard bachman (no-name prospect for dallas)
jason labarbara (he has the nickname LOLbarbara for a reason)
thomas greiss (has cleared waivers, at least twice)
jhonas enroth

hmmmm....

Old
12-23-2011, 11:57 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Watch the replay. He didn't over commit as you seem to think he did. You're completely, 100% wrong.

i've seen the replay, thanks. saying i'm wrong over and over doesn't actually make you right....i hope you can at least understand that.

Closed Thread