HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacques Martin Fired V2.0

Old
12-21-2011, 04:47 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
JM had time to not accomplish anything and RC hasn't had time to not accomplish anything so RC is therefore the better coach. Got it.
You are the one drawing the conclusions.

I simply think that Cunneyworth's approach might be more successful and it is worth trying to see what he can do. We can make the judgments later.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:50 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

With Carriere standing behind the bench, it is obvious that Cunneyworth is not getting a chance to completely take over this team.

What we are seeing is all Gauthier as GM and coach with Cunneyworth set up to take the blame for failure. And even if this team is successful, Molson has already stated that Cunneyworth is simply the interim guy.

Bless Cunneyworth for taking this on. But, I guess its just a job and he is still getting paid to do it, one way or another for the rest of the season.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post

I simply think that Cunneyworth's approach might be more successful and it is worth trying to see what he can do. We can make the judgments later.
I agree with everything you say. I'm not drawing conclusions the other poster said he thinks RC is a better coach. I'm just wondering how he can possibly know this. Anyway, doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
With Carriere standing behind the bench, it is obvious that Cunneyworth is not getting a chance to completely take over this team.

What we are seeing is all Gauthier as GM and coach with Cunneyworth set up to take the blame for failure. And even if this team is successful, Molson has already stated that Cunneyworth is simply the interim guy.

Bless Cunneyworth for taking this on. But, I guess its just a job and he is still getting paid to do it, one way or another for the rest of the season.
What does any of this have to do with Carrière?

Last edited by overlords: 12-21-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Wondering if Carriere is the next GM, and getting a look-see at what he'll be needing to fix. I don't think it's thriftiness that has put him behind the bench.

Gauthier has to be waiting for the axe to fall, but it won't happen until Carriere has filed his report and go-forward plan with Molson.

Very unorthodox but the end justifies the means in this case.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 05:32 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
I agree with everything you say. I'm not drawing conclusions the other poster said he thinks RC is a better coach. I'm just wondering how he can possibly know this. Anyway, doesn't matter.

What does any of this have to do with Carrière?
Have you ever seen an NHL hockey team employ an assistant coach with zero coaching experience?

Neither have I. He is the Assistant GM put there by the GM for a reason. Coaching the team on the finer aspects of hockey obviously is not one of them.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
I got your point and your questions are valid. I have no clue why the others didn't get it.

RC hasn't proved a thing but he's better than JM. I too wonder how people can be so convinced about that.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:04 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
I got your point and your questions are valid. I have no clue why the others didn't get it.

RC hasn't proved a thing but he's better than JM. I too wonder how people can be so convinced about that.
Because JM sucks ! How's that ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Have you ever seen an NHL hockey team employ an assistant coach with zero coaching experience?

Neither have I. He is the Assistant GM put there by the GM for a reason. Coaching the team on the finer aspects of hockey obviously is not one of them.
How long have you been following hockey? Do you not remember an NHL head coach in the mid-90's named Mario Tremblay? Don't think Shutt and Cournoyer (assistant coaches during Houle era) ever had any coaching experience either. Maybe I'm just showing my age but what about Rod Brind'Amour in Carolina? It's actually not as uncommon as you think. Komisarek was on our bench coaching after Lucic beat him silly.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Schooner Guy

I miss the stability this team had under Jacques Martin. I miss the results that Jacques Martin produced with a sub-mediocre lineup. I hate the circus that Mr Molson has created. I feel so bad for Cunneyworth....good hockey guy in an impossible situation.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I miss the stability this team had under Jacques Martin. I miss the results that Jacques Martin produced with a sub-mediocre lineup. I hate the circus that Mr Molson has created. I feel so bad for Cunneyworth....good hockey guy in an impossible situation.
RC probably knew what he was getting into... well, I hope so. Otherwise, yes, sad seeing him thrown to the wolves, so to speak.

Old
12-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
RC probably knew what he was getting into... well, I hope so. Otherwise, yes, sad seeing him thrown to the wolves, so to speak.
He didn't get into anything, he was placed into a situation.
Gauthier tells him he fired JM and he's now in charge of the team, you think Cunneyworth is going to say ''No thank you''?..
Doesn't have much of a choice.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:49 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Posters on this board who were hollering for Martin's firing for last 2 months need to learn something about coaches and the NHL. I imagine they are starting to see it now? Martine had them a game over .500 despite 3 losses the direct results of terrible blown calls by refs. Plus without Markov not a game out of his best defenseman this year. He would have them 4-5th in conference by year's end. A scoring forward away from a Cup threat. Now....looks like a lenghty rebuilding process

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:52 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post

It could be more sucessful, but he needs the horses to play his style of game. And he doesn't have those players.

It's a spineless team, and it needs BIG changes.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:53 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Posters on this board who were hollering for Martin's firing for last 2 months need to learn something about coaches and the NHL. I imagine they are starting to see it now? Martine had them a game over .500 despite 3 losses the direct results of terrible blown calls by refs. Plus without Markov not a game out of his best defenseman this year. He would have them 4-5th in conference by year's end. A scoring forward away from a Cup threat. Now....looks like a lenghty rebuilding process
The timing for his firing was really bad.

Now Gauthier must be shown the door.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 200
Have we been playing much worse defensively without Martin? In the last 3 games we've allowed a total of 12 goals. I know people hated Martin for his "boring defense" but at least we were 1 goal shy of tying or taking the lead. We're not scoring more now than we were with Martin behind the bench either. We have scored 3 goals in the last 3 games in fact. Why was he fired again? Even if he was emotionless during games or conferences, what good did his firing do?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:22 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Have we been playing much worse defensively without Martin? In the last 3 games we've allowed a total of 12 goals. I know people hated Martin for his "boring defense" but at least we were 1 goal shy of tying or taking the lead. We're not scoring more now than we were with Martin behind the bench either. We have scored 3 goals in the last 3 games in fact. Why was he fired again? Even if he was emotionless during games or conferences, what good did his firing do?
Usually, a firing like that should spark the team to play better and with emotion.

Results ?

Old
12-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
I was/am not unhappy that Martin was removed... For his obvious qualities as a HC, I think he's shown that he's missing a level of adaptability to both connect with the younger generation of athletes & that his in-game ability to adjust was severely lacking.

in many ways, i think he's far better suited to be an assistant coach than a head coach...

that said, his ability with getting his team to play "close enough to win" certainly allowed our less than stellar lineup to perform at/above the level many other coaches would be able to get out of such a poorly assembled roster (even when healthy).

I had no problem seeing the habs give RC a shot, but the way they've done it is absurd.

the guy has basically no weight/influence over the locker room. You take an inexperienced head coach, throw him into a team stuck in a deepeining downward spiral full of underperforming vets, you slap him with an interim label, and then cut his legs even further by having the owner come out and assure the angry & vocal section of the fan base that the "next coach" will be billingual (in others words confirming that he has no shot at being the permanent HC).

total bush league...

Martin's firing needed to be preceeded by Gauthier's firing, and if anything, Martin is the one who should have been left to finish the season, b/c at least with him the athletes knew what they were getting and a new GM would make it clear that everybody was under the magnifiying glass, not just the new eunuch of a head coach.

instead, we get the perfect recipe for destroying the team much deeper than one missed playoff year...

if Subban, Price, MaxPac, Gorges take the circus that is this season & the negative media pressure that goes with it, to heart, how likely do you think it is that they negotiate their next contracts favorably?

instead, you'll get guys pinning to leave town, and even though we control the RFA's to a degree, as teh Turris situation showed, when you alienate your young talent, you pretty much ensure that moving them is the only option... Yotes did well in the return they got, but in our situation, Subban/Price/MaxPac are the highlights of what we can potentially build with, replacing them with similarly talented young players will be difficult, if not impossible with the incompetent management team we currently have in place.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:29 PM
danisonfire
2313 Saint Catherine

Quote:
Made the tanking process easier because JM was essentially turning our 15th place team into a 8th place playoff team! Only thing I can think of, they might be smart after all.

danisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:31 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I was/am not unhappy that Martin was removed... For his obvious qualities as a HC, I think he's shown that he's missing a level of adaptability to both connect with the younger generation of athletes & that his in-game ability to adjust was severely lacking.

in many ways, i think he's far better suited to be an assistant coach than a head coach...

that said, his ability with getting his team to play "close enough to win" certainly allowed our less than stellar lineup to perform at/above the level many other coaches would be able to get out of such a poorly assembled roster (even when healthy).

I had no problem seeing the habs give RC a shot, but the way they've done it is absurd.

the guy has basically no weight/influence over the locker room. You take an inexperienced head coach, throw him into a team stuck in a deepeining downward spiral full of underperforming vets, you slap him with an interim label, and then cut his legs even further by having the owner come out and assure the angry & vocal section of the fan base that the "next coach" will be billingual (in others words confirming that he has no shot at being the permanent HC).

total bush league...

Martin's firing needed to be preceeded by Gauthier's firing, and if anything, Martin is the one who should have been left to finish the season, b/c at least with him the athletes knew what they were getting and a new GM would make it clear that everybody was under the magnifiying glass, not just the new eunuch of a head coach.

instead, we get the perfect recipe for destroying the team much deeper than one missed playoff year...

if Subban, Price, MaxPac, Gorges take the circus that is this season & the negative media pressure that goes with it, to heart, how likely do you think it is that they negotiate their next contracts favorably?

instead, you'll get guys pinning to leave town, and even though we control the RFA's to a degree, as teh Turris situation showed, when you alienate your young talent, you pretty much ensure that moving them is the only option... Yotes did well in the return they got, but in our situation, Subban/Price/MaxPac are the highlights of what we can potentially build with, replacing them with similarly talented young players will be difficult, if not impossible with the incompetent management team we currently have in place.
Lots of excellent points in your post.

A MUST READ !

Old
12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 200
Quote:

total bush league...

Well said. I've stated before that I wasn't against replacing Martin, but if we were to replace him, at least have the pieces in place for the new coach to work with (something that Martin did not have but was managing with nonetheless). A new coach even at the end of this season won't be changing much (regardless of the fact that he would knowingly walk into a position of assured failure) unless we can quickly place a group of players on the ice he can work with to be successful. I have a feeling this is what will happen, a "Bob Gainey experiment version 2.0" in the coming off-season.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

total bush league...

This. I'd also add that the timing of the firing was pretty convenient for the Martin lovers to come out of the closet, with the teams the Habs had to face. But it will all even out when it's all said and done. I'm pleased with the firing and will never think otherwise. As a matter of fact, it was done too late.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

People were barking at the wrong tree in blaming JM. Fact of the matter is this team has been missing throughout the season: Gomez, Gionta, Hamrlik (who we haven't replaced), to a lesser extent, Spacek, and a PP quarterback (Markov or a patch). We then got a patch for the PP quarterback position in Kaberle but then we fired the coach. What a monumental bonehead move.

This move will have farther reaching consequences than simply a coaching change, as Miller Time has suggested.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
People were barking at the wrong tree in blaming JM.
Most people were after Martin for his smothering system and his doubtful decisions. Not sure how this qualifies as "barking at the wrong tree"...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:41 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Most people were after Martin for his smothering system and his doubtful decisions. Not sure how this qualifies as "barking at the wrong tree"...
Listen, We all know you were a martin hater ...

perhaps you can tell me what kind of system we are now playing... or what kind of system we were playing prior to jacques ... ?

Under him we had a well organized team ... if anything, his system gave us a chance to win every night.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 12-24-2011 at 10:00 AM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:20 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
Exactly. From one goal losses to 3 and 4 goal losses. Firing the coach was not the answer. Trading for a scorer was/is the answer.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote