HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Trade Proposals and Rumors Part XX

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
We have no idea of players real value but I'm guessing Butler would be enough for Penner at this moment.

Penner struggled in LA, is UFA at the end of the season and makes much more than Butler. It would be a salary dump for LA. It would be another sort of "reclamation project" for the Sens. I don't see a future for Penner with the Sens anymore... his play has dropped and things have changed for the Sens. He doesn't fit this youth movement IMO

Regin for a 2nd? Personally I wouldn't do it but ya that might be close to Regin's value actually mainly because of his shoulder problems. The guy needs to stay healthy for a while to assert himself and show what kind of NHL player he is.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:21 AM
SpezDispenser

Just say no to Plump Penner!

Old
12-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Berserker*

Meh, Penner is getting a little too old for a rebuild. I would prefer to trade for players that are 26 or younger.

How about:

STL:
Regin + Butler

OTT:
Chris Stewart

Or trade for one of, Cal Clutterbuck, David Clarkson, David Jones, Cutiss Glencross, Tuomo Ruutu, Brian Boyle, or Steve Downie. But Chris Stewart would be the best option IMO.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:05 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Meh, Penner is getting a little too old for a rebuild. I would prefer to trade for players that are 26 or younger.

How about:

STL:
Regin + Butler

OTT:
Chris Stewart

Or trade for one of, Cal Clutterbuck, David Clarkson, David Jones, Cutiss Glencross, Tuomo Ruutu, Brian Boyle, or Steve Downie. But Chris Stewart would be the best option IMO.
An injured Regin and Butler for Chris Stewart? Damn... I was not made aware that Mike Milbury was an NHL GM again. What was St. Louis thinking hiring him?

Seriously though, Regin (as of today) and Butler have almost zero value right now. The only reason they don't have negative value is because they're both on reasonable contracts.

Old
12-22-2011, 01:22 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

How about:

STL:
Regin + Butler

OTT:
Chris Stewart

Although I would love this deal I just don't think St Louis would trade a guy they paid a lot to get & is one of their better players for two lesser players.

While Penner is not old but in his late twenties because he is a UFA I would take a shot at him especially if Ottawa could make the playoffs this yr. He is huge, he is tough & although lazy at times could be an asset here in Ottawa especially if we can get him cheap like for Butler who has been a healthy scratch & just isn't producing. He better's our team without us giving up too much to get him, what's better than that?

Penner could play on any line in Ottawa & would certainly help Ottawa score goals & hopefully make us harder to play against & match up better against a team like Boston. If he doesn't work out you let him walk at the end of the yr, if he does work out you sign him to a one yr deal to keep him honest & working hard.

This gives us three good scoring lines:

Greening - Spezza - Alfredson
Michalek - Turris - Penner
Foligno - Z. Smith - Condra
Daugavins - Konopka - Neil/Winchester

I also think that Murray should go after Wolski with the Rangers if he is available. He would add some size & scoring to the left side & may be available for less than market value since he has been hurt a lot in his time in NY, maybe just Kuba. He would be an upgrade on Daugavins & if he returned to his Colorado form would really make this team better & we can afford him. Bobby Ryan would also be great but I'd be surprised if he was available but he would be worth giving a 1st rder for.

Last edited by aragorn: 12-22-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old
12-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
I brought it up cause there's been rumors for years that Murray has had interest, he found/signed the guy in College so there's obviously history there. With his play this year though that may have changed. Not obsessed by any means just trying to think of likely scenario's for the deadline, we shall see.
As far as I know Murray only tried to trade for him the one time - I think most of the rumours are self-fulfilling based on HF boards talk. Was there actually anything after that?

But I always find it stange how often he comes up here - especially as his play continues to decline every year, yet he still makes 4.25 Million. It seems like the worse he plays the more people want his fat ass here.

Quote:
STL:
Regin + Butler

OTT:
Chris Stewart
Wasn't Stewart traded last year for Erik Johnson + a 1st Rounder?

And now you are suggesting the same GM who gave that up for him would flip him for a guy with a career threatening shoulder injury plus a guy who has like 5 pts on the season.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post

Wasn't Stewart traded last year for Erik Johnson + a 1st Rounder?

And now you are suggesting the same GM who gave that up for him would flip him for a guy with a career threatening shoulder injury plus a guy who has like 5 pts on the season.
throw in winchester?

Old
12-22-2011, 02:44 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Really? St.Louis ain't dealing Stewart. They have had him for half a year and he's a proven 30 goal guy already. If we were to have interest in him, you can bet that St.Louis would want Cowen back. They gave up a 1st overall pick to get him. They may even overvalue Stewart.

And not sure we'd even want to give up that much for him, he may have maxed out his potetial and hit his ceiling after his second year in the league.

Butler+Regin for Stewart is just absurd. Comeee on now!

Old
12-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Really? St.Louis ain't dealing Stewart. They have had him for half a year and he's a proven 30 goal guy already. If we were to have interest in him, you can bet that St.Louis would want Cowen back. They gave up a 1st overall pick to get him. They may even overvalue Stewart.

And not sure we'd even want to give up that much for him, he may have maxed out his potetial and hit his ceiling after his second year in the league.

For what it's worth Chris Stewart has never actually scored 30 goals.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:52 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
For what it's worth Chris Stewart has never actually scored 30 goals.
Ohhhh my bad, I was off by 2 goals He ha 28 goal and 64 pts in 09/10

Everyone had a great season on the Av's that season. He set a very high ceiling for himself and he may hit 30 one day, but don' see much more than that in him.

Still he's more proven than a lot of young guys his age and no way in hell we would get him for spare parts from our bottom 6.

Old
12-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Philadelphia Collins

Regin + Butler for Eric Staal

Butler + Regin + a 2nd for Malkin

Old
12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post

Now you're talking.

I heard that Phoenix asked for Butler + Regin for Turris and Murray had to talk them down to Rundblad + 2nd. That's why the trade took so long to get done. Phoenix was dead-set on acquiring the dynamic duo.

Old
12-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Berserker*

The trade was actually

Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk and a 2nd round pick for Erik Johnson, Jay Mclement and a 1st round pick.

I could be wrong but I m pretty sure that those picks wound up being Duncan Siemens for Colorado and Ty Rattie for St Louis.

Stewart wouldn't cost Cowen, like one of the other posters suggested. Regin and Butler may not be enough to get Stewart, but they may be part of the package to acquire him.

Old
12-22-2011, 04:22 PM
tubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
We have no idea of players real value but I'm guessing Butler would be enough for Penner at this moment.

Penner struggled in LA, is UFA at the end of the season and makes much more than Butler. It would be a salary dump for LA. It would be another sort of "reclamation project" for the Sens. I don't see a future for Penner with the Sens anymore... his play has dropped and things have changed for the Sens. He doesn't fit this youth movement IMO
I don't think so. Penner has 4 20-goal seasons. Butler has nothing and is on pace for nothing too.

I'd rather keep Butler anyways.

Quote:
Regin for a 2nd? Personally I wouldn't do it but ya that might be close to Regin's value actually mainly because of his shoulder problems. The guy needs to stay healthy for a while to assert himself and show what kind of NHL player he is.
Chris Kelly got a 2nd. A proven player. You know what you're getting in return. Regin has proven nothing and though I really like him, I don't think he'd be worth much on the market. I feel really bad for him and his shoulder problems and I hope he sticks somewhere else because I don't see a future for him on this team.

Old
12-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post

He must have meant anthony

Old
12-22-2011, 05:11 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
He must have meant anthony

Old
12-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post

We take on way too much cap space.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby View Post
I don't think so. Penner has 4 20-goal seasons. Butler has nothing and is on pace for nothing too.

I'd rather keep Butler anyways.
Ya, Penner is a proven player but in that case he is an impending UFA who has been struggling all his time with the Kings. If they like Butler and see some potential in him (he has some potential despite being underwhelming this year), they could really be interested in making that deal.

Personally, I'm not sure if the Sens should make that deal, unless they think Penner could fit into the system and would improve the team right away.

Quote:
Chris Kelly got a 2nd. A proven player. You know what you're getting in return. Regin has proven nothing and though I really like him, I don't think he'd be worth much on the market. I feel really bad for him and his shoulder problems and I hope he sticks somewhere else because I don't see a future for him on this team.
Difference is that Kelly was an impending UFA making over 2.1 already. He was known as a 35 pts 3rd line center. While Regin is younger, cheaper, still on RFA years and possibly has more potential. Unfortunately, his shoulder problems brings his value down

PS : That's another thing I don't understand on HF... What does " Regin has proven nothing " means?

I mean, he has played 151 NHL games and has been scoring at a 28 pts pace (10 goal, 18 assists per 82 games) and is + 9 on a team that has been struggling at Even Strenght. Anyone who has been following him knows that he is among the best 2-way players on his team (Sens don't get scored on a lot when he is on the ice. Co´ncidence? not really). His stats line is about Kelly's in his first 2 years in the NHL... Difference is that Kelly played on a much better team in a period where more goals were scored... Kelly also had more ice-time than Regin.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:08 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Are you sure that you need a trade? IMO you have full of great prospects so not.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:16 PM
GreatStateofHockey

vCash: 50
Penner with that contract has negative value.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:22 PM
SensSharksGirl*

Here's what I was thinking:

TO San Jose

Brian Lee and a 3rd round pick in 2012 NHL Draft

To Ottawa

Douglas Murrary

Is it a good trade proposal?

Old
12-23-2011, 01:36 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensSharksGirl View Post
Here's what I was thinking:

TO San Jose

Brian Lee and a 3rd round pick in 2012 NHL Draft

To Ottawa

Douglas Murrary

Is it a good trade proposal?
Sharks say no.

I'd love to add Murray but he'd cost a pretty penny to get out of San Jose, especially because they want to contend. Lee is a huge downgrade from Murray.

12-23-2011, 01:42 PM
tubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Ya, Penner is a proven player but in that case he is an impending UFA who has been struggling all his time with the Kings. If they like Butler and see some potential in him (he has some potential despite being underwhelming this year), they could really be interested in making that deal.

Personally, I'm not sure if the Sens should make that deal, unless they think Penner could fit into the system and would improve the team right away.
I didn't know that he's UFA and from the Kings' perspective I see how it could be a solid deal. I definitely wouldn't pull that trade off for us though. Let's see what Butler will have done by the end of the season.

Quote:
Difference is that Kelly was an impending UFA making over 2.1 already. He was known as a 35 pts 3rd line center. While Regin is younger, cheaper, still on RFA years and possibly has more potential. Unfortunately, his shoulder problems brings his value down

PS : That's another thing I don't understand on HF... What does " Regin has proven nothing " means?

I mean, he has played 151 NHL games and has been scoring at a 28 pts pace (10 goal, 18 assists per 82 games) and is + 9 on a team that has been struggling at Even Strenght. Anyone who has been following him knows that he is among the best 2-way players on his team (Sens don't get scored on a lot when he is on the ice. Co´ncidence? not really). His stats line is about Kelly's in his first 2 years in the NHL... Difference is that Kelly played on a much better team in a period where more goals were scored... Kelly also had more ice-time than Regin.
First of all, please don't generalize
Quote:
That's another thing I don't understand on HF... What does " Regin has proven nothing " means?
Regin has had one "full" season(75 games) in which he totaled 13 goals and 29 points. That's all. The rest he's been injured or non-productive. I like Regin a lot as a player and I'd actually prefer for you to be right and for us to receive a 2nd in return for him if ever Murray trades him, but I don't see why a team would give up a 2nd for someone with his injury history and uncertainty.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:43 PM
SensSharksGirl*

Another trade proposal I had in mind:

To Penguins:
Brian lee and a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick for 2012 NHL Draft

To Senators:
Zbynek Michalek(just to make Milan Michalek feel happy)

Old
12-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

We don't have a 2nd anymore. And let's stop throwing away our picks.

Closed Thread