HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gm#34: Kings vs. Ducks, 12/22/11, Post Game WIN thoughts & tidbits

Old
12-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
What I noticed and Fox pointed out was the Kings were quicker to pucks and one man was always chasing the puck down deep. Kings also seemed a bit meaner.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Johnny Utah

John Stevens handles the defense, so anything Voynov is doing well can be attributed to him as well. I hope John stays around next season, I really like him.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
So Lewis turning his back to the pinching D and coughing up the puck, that's on Johnson??

Really?
no but if Johnson makes the non-retarded play, Lewis is never in that situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
John Stevens handles the defense, so anything Voynov is doing well can be attributed to him as well. I hope John stays around next season, I really like him.
He coaches the pk aswell right? and the pk has been the best most consistent thing in LA for a while

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:00 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Kings are 30th in G/G.
And?

I mean, yes, you pointed out the obvious,

That has nothing to do with your contradiction though.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:00 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
no but if Johnson makes the non-retarded play, Lewis is never in that situation

He coaches the pk aswell right? and the pk has been the best most consistent thing in LA for a while
Remind me of the play, did you want Johnson to go up the middle with it instead?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Remind me of the play, did you want Johnson to go up the middle with it instead?
he had plenty of time with noone infront of him, he could have just softly flipped it high out of the zone or just softly ring it around the glass, or just skated it out, or passed to the winger at the blue line. Basically anything but turn back into the pressure behind him and cough the puck up

Old
12-23-2011, 03:18 PM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
he had plenty of time with noone infront of him, he could have just softly flipped it high out of the zone or just softly ring it around the glass, or just skated it out, or passed to the winger at the blue line. Basically anything but turn back into the pressure behind him and cough the puck up
Come on! It's so ****in easy to say what a player should have done from your computer, seriously.. come off it mate

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:22 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Ok. BTW, the Kings were the team in black uniforms, just in case if you had difficulties with that, too.
Thanks!

And let me bold this for you in case you have difficulties with that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I do wonder if you take away the effect of a new face, would this be the same TM game.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
Come on! It's so ****in easy to say what a player should have done from your computer, seriously.. come off it mate
well ye, but when you are being paid millions of dollars to play something for a living, i expect a player to know what to do in the last minutes of a game where you are winning. Im not saying i would be able to do it, im saying that a professional hockey player should have a high enough IQ of the game to know that the most important thing in that situation is to get the puck out of the zone, not turn back into pressure and they should be liable to criticism when they make a huge error like that which could have ended up costing the team a point

Old
12-23-2011, 03:32 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I feel like I watched a different game than a lot of you. I didn't expect to see a night and day difference with only 2 practice days with Sutter, but the Kings were definitely a different team out there against the Ducks. Sure, they only scored 2 goals again, but it will take a couple of weeks for the team to adjust away from Murrays "dot-to-board" game. Many more shots in the scoring zone last night and a lot of them were off forced turnovers.

They carried the play into the zone much more frequently, they turned over pucks in the offensive zone with a tenacious fore-check. It will take some time for this to become instinctual for them, they still hesitate in the offensive zone and this costs them some great chances.

Watching a coach behind the bench that interacts with this players and coaches during games is awesome to see.

Tonight is a good test for the Kings, Niemi has been one to let in a few soft goals. If the Kings keep going strong on the fore-check, they will get some great chances tonight against the Sharks. This is a game where the Kings canít give away the bonus point, they need to win in regulation to help close the gap.

I was happy with the effort against the Ducks and felt that Lewis and Richardson added some much needed speed to the Kings top 9.
The normal response to having a new face behind the bench is to work harder. This quick injection was to be expected and should not be factored in your analysis. People always want to make a good impression on a new authoritative figure. Subtract that out of their play and I think the game was still the TM game.

I would just like to see what happens when they get comfortable with DS. Because then they start playing to their normal patterns and we really get to see what the team is like with a new coach.

Jim Fox mentioned a few differences, but honestly, that was just a couple of times in the first period. The sample size is just too small to attribute that to DS's influence

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:35 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
No TM didnt scratch the guys who needed it, he scratched the guys who werent impact players because apparently its easier to scratch those guys than the guys who deserved to be scratched.
Right, because Richardson and Lewis were lights out compared to the rest of the team.

I'm not saying others didn't deserve to be scratched, they did, but Richardson and Lewis also deserved to be scratched and they were. That to me says a lot. This season, both have been putrid.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:37 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
The normal response to having a new face behind the bench is to work harder. This quick injection was to be expected and should not be factored in your analysis. People always want to make a good impression on a new authoritative figure. Subtract that out of their play and I think the game was still the TM game.

I would just like to see what happens when they get comfortable with DS. Because then they start playing to their normal patterns and we really get to see what the team is like with a new coach.

Jim Fox mentioned a few differences, but honestly, that was just a couple of times in the first period. The sample size is just too small to attribute that to DS's influence
I agree

That game was a Terry Murray wet dream. People see what they want to see.

Richardson/Lewis did provide some speed, but it was still Kopitar/Brown/Richards/Drew, that made the necessary plays to score.

Even Sutter basically said it's all the players in his post game notes.

The Sharks have been scoring a lot of late. We will really see what the Kings are made of tonight.

Richardson/Lewis are never going to be more than Third/Fourth line guys.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:41 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
I don't disagree with your point about wether he deserves a first line shot, but I remember either last season or the season before, Richardson didnt score a point for basically the first half of the entire season before turning it around and becoming a much better player.

I don't think anything believes he's really first line talent, but he can be a pretty servicable player. If left on the first line, he'll definitely get his points, and who knows, maybe his speed will open things up for Kopi and Brown a bit. Seemed like it did a little bit last night.
Don't disagree with your post at all. In fact, it makes sense.

My point was that Richardson has done nothing to "deserve" that promotion to the first line. Hopefully he will earn it in the second half as right now the only reason he got that chance was by default.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:55 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Those of you in this thread who are stating Johnson is "the odd man out" need to put the bong down. Cripes. Voynov's been decent for sure, but he's been inconsistent and still is clearly learning as he goes. He's shown the talent, but these 19 games haven't been so stellar that he bumps a guy like Johnson clear out of the line up.

Some of you are so fickle, dogging a player or the entire team one game, then they are your BFF the next night. Johnson isn't perfect, he's not a number one defenseman, but he's a very good to elite number two or three defenseman and those aren't easy to come by. If you think Voynov is going to magically start playing Johnson's minutes, only play them better, you need a reality check. Maybe a few years from now, but definately not today.

I swear some of you will just jump on to the next decent prospect and start touting him as being better than so-and-so simply because that's all you've been able to learn as a Kings fan. We actually are a decent team with darkhorse cup potential, and best of all we are loaded with core players who are young and locked in until most of you (finally) turn 18. And with no NTC/NMC as well. We are a few pieces away, and maybe one more year of maturity (which i didn't think we'd need) from being a legitimate candidate to make a cup run. JMFJ is part of that.

How many teams give up on a guy like Johnson at his age and recent production and live to tell the tale while sipping from Lord Stanley? Few if any.

Did you all eat glue in Kindergarten?

And yes, get off my lawn too!

Old
12-23-2011, 03:59 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Those of you in this thread who are stating Johnson is "the odd man out" need to put the bong down. Cripes. Voynov's been decent for sure, but he's been inconsistent and still is clearly learning as he goes. He's shown the talent, but these 19 games haven't been so stellar that he bumps a guy like Johnson clear out of the line up.

Some of you are so fickle, dogging a player or the entire team one game, then they are your BFF the next night. Johnson isn't perfect, he's not a number one defenseman, but he's a very good to elite number two or three defenseman and those aren't easy to come by. If you think Voynov is going to magically start playing Johnson's minutes, only play them better, you need a reality check. Maybe a few years from now, but definately not today.

I swear some of you will just jump on to the next decent prospect and start touting him as being better than so-and-so simply because that's all you've been able to learn as a Kings fan. We actually are a decent team with darkhorse cup potential, and best of all we are loaded with core players who are young and locked in until most of you (finally) turn 18. And with no NTC/NMC as well. We are a few pieces away, and maybe one more year of maturity (which i didn't think we'd need) from being a legitimate candidate to make a cup run. JMFJ is part of that.

How many teams give up on a guy like Johnson at his age and recent production and live to tell the tale while sipping from Lord Stanley? Few if any.

Did you all eat glue in Kindergarten?

And yes, get off my lawn too!
If Jack is packaged to bring an Elite Winger to the top lines with speed. I make that trade, and live with Slava playing his minutes and Making mistakes.

Now does Jack+ bring an Elite Winger here ?

That is a question that can't be answered easily.

I am just sick of Jack being on the ice for goals Against. But lets face it if Jack is traded it will be some other D man that gets hit with all the minus.

Last edited by damacles1156: 12-23-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old
12-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Murray is gone, and Brownie is playing well...

clearly people around here just need a whipping boy. Johnson is it apparently.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:05 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Murray is gone, and Brownie is playing well...

clearly people around here just need a whipping boy. Johnson is it apparently.
Has more to do with Jack having the most trade value (in my view anyway). The Kings need an Elite Winger.

Jack + may fetch that in a trade. I like Jack, I just don't like his Defensive game so far.

But I am not blind to Jack's upside, he is an extremely athletic guy with good vision in the Offensive zone.

Also Jack is still very young for a D guy.

Last edited by damacles1156: 12-23-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old
12-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
... clearly people around here just need a whipping boy. Johnson is it apparently.
Well hell, it was all the way back in October when he was fr**&king winning games by himself, after all. And that was months ago anyway. What's up with him now? He hasn't won a game all alone in weeks. The hell with trading him, we should probably just kick him off our team.

Wait until we lose a game and Sutter mumbles something vaguely irritating out of the side of his mouth. All hell will break loose.
That's when you'll hear the Pacific Plate shift. And it will be a mighty rumbling.

Last edited by Duc620: 12-23-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: better holiday spirit(s)
Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:16 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
well ye, but when you are being paid millions of dollars to play something for a living, i expect a player to know what to do in the last minutes of a game where you are winning. Im not saying i would be able to do it, im saying that a professional hockey player should have a high enough IQ of the game to know that the most important thing in that situation is to get the puck out of the zone, not turn back into pressure and they should be liable to criticism when they make a huge error like that which could have ended up costing the team a point
Jack didn't cost the team a point. What if Scuds yelled for Jack to pass the puck back? Is he suppose to ingore his partner? Also it was Lewis who instead of making a play on the puck, turned his back on an onrushing forward and turned the puck over.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:59 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
And?

I mean, yes, you pointed out the obvious,

That has nothing to do with your contradiction though.
Yes, it sounds silly, but it isnt really. There is a deficiency there that isnt going to go away just because Murray is out and Sutter is in. Its about personnel and under-performing vets.

To be fair to Lombardi, he was put in a bit of a bind by Smyth, but he still has pieces to address the situation. If he chooses not to, then that's on him. It may work out for him in the end, but then again, it may blow up in his face. He is probably waiting for the deadline to make a move. It may be too late by then. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Kingsfan1

Jack is Deans bestie lol he will not be traded.

Kingsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote