HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT - December 10th: Ottawa at Calgary

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Don Draper

vCash: 500
I didnt read any posts before this page, so if this is repeat, I apologize.

Ottawa played Flames hockey better than the Flames for 2 periods, but looked exhausted by the 3rd. The Flames looked generally disinterested until the goal. Iginla was completely contained all game long, much like our top line was, so the defense did their job for us. Much fewer mistakes this game compared to last night, but they need to fight through those checks to get into scoring areas. Its hard to see who was the better goalie since neither had to do anything spectacular. Once again, Redden was missed the most on the powerplay, even though we missed Havlat, I dont think everyone realizes how much Redden makes our powerplay go. Spezza cut down his mistakes big time tonight, but didnt create much of anything, same for Heatley. Chara played like he can tonight, same with Philips.

I am not too disappointed, it was a boring boring game and we couldve snuck this one out, but one too many breakdowns late cost us. At least it was physical.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
That

and it was Ottawa's second game in two nights. Combination of both.
I believe the Flames lead the league in games played. 3 in the past 5 nights as well.

I think it might have been a little more even then you think... I didn't think Ottawa came out tired, they came out hitting.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:02 AM
RTWAP*

I don't know who said Fisher and Schaefer had great games, but they were the only two Ottawa forwards on the ice for both goals against.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
It went to OT. It was close.

I know Senator fans think their team is unbeatable or whatever, but Calgary is a pretty good team too. Out of all the Flames games I've seen, Ottawa was one of the best in the 3rd period... its just the way the Flaems play, they sufficate you and kill you in the 3rd. Every team's fan says their team had an "off game" in the 3rd... Oilers, Canucks, Detriot... they'll tell you the same thing.

It's Darryl Sutter hockey. You might hate it, but thats what they do.

I dont think you can give Calgary all the credit for the third. The sens were also clearly playing defensive (hence the Jacques Martin comparisons) trying to squeak a 1-0 win. Not to take anything away from the flames effort though cause they did play quite well.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
Ottawa played Flames hockey better than the Flames for 2 periods, but looked exhausted by the 3rd.
The 1st wasn't. Too "exciting"

The 2nd and 3rd is probably what you'd see more

Old
12-11-2005, 12:04 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 250
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheWiseNPowerful
I don't know who said Fisher and Schaefer had great games, but they were the only two Ottawa forwards on the ice for both goals against.
So? They were still the best Sens forwards (with Neil as well).

Old
porknbeans

Ottawa's record with Havlat; 16-1

Ottawa's record without Havlat: 5-3-2

hmmm....

can't be a simple coincidence, can it?

Old
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
I dont think you can give Calgary all the credit for the third. The sens were also clearly playing defensive (hence the Jacques Martin comparisons) trying to squeak a 1-0 win. Not to take anything away from the flames effort though cause they did play quite well.
True, I was a little surprised to see them sitting back on a 1 goal lead. I expected them to keep on pressing.

Old
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

When Calgary scored the tying goal, it was about 3 seconds after I remarked "Ottawa is trying to kill a penalty, but I guess no one informed the players that it's 5 on 5".

A lot of speed out there in the 3rd period and Ottawa was running out of gas.

Calgary definitely brought it when it counted and that's why they have 2 points while we only have 1.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:06 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
I am not too disappointed, it was a boring boring game and we couldve snuck this one out, but one too many breakdowns late cost us. At least it was physical.
Most boring game for you guys

Most exciting game for us

Old
12-11-2005, 12:08 AM
Don Draper

Quote:
True, I was a little surprised to see them sitting back on a 1 goal lead. I expected them to keep on pressing.
I think it was pretty clear in the 3rd that they were exhausted. There were a few times in particular where I saw guys reaching for pucks instead of skating towards them. It was two games in a row that were more physical than almost all the games this season. Its easy to understand why they tired in the 3rd. I am not going to complain, two points in two games and had a chance for more in both. could have been worse.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Bileur

Is it just me or is it a bit inapropriate to be talking to Chris about his alcoholism and saying things like "you couldnt stop drinking" in front of his 10 year old?

Old
12-11-2005, 12:14 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheWiseNPowerful
I said it, the goals that were scored were not there fault, they couldnt have done anymore then they did.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:16 AM
PapaBear*

Alexei Yashin, 2nd line C anyone?

Old
12-11-2005, 12:16 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredsensfan
Ottawa's record with Havlat; 16-1

Ottawa's record without Havlat: 5-3-2

hmmm....

can't be a simple coincidence, can it?
No not at all............... But the sens havent faced any adversity. He is just a ppg player.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
I think Muck may just pass on that one.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:20 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
No not at all............... But the sens havent faced any adversity. He is just a ppg player.
If we step back a bit, we've also played some tough competition when he's been out.

It's kind of an annoying coincidence.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:20 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
So? They were still the best Sens forwards (with Neil as well).
I only saw the third but I agree they were strong in the Calgary zone. Created sustained pressure and stole a few pucks as well. But they need to play a different game in their own zone, not just chase the puck.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
go back and cheer for nashville, columbus atlanta edmonton philadelphia pittsburgh st louis detroit carolina indonesia and the netherlands

Old
12-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Phaneuf*

Kipper once again saves Calgary. I really like Ottawa. I dont know why you guys are in panic mode. Your the best team around and in a slump whatever.. You cant win em all. I think you fans have your expectations of this team waaay to high. They'll pick it up again once they get back to the east.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:31 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 250
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf
Kipper once again saves Calgary
He didn't have to do much tonight.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:34 AM
ARS

Quote:
It went to OT. It was close.

I know Senator fans think their team is unbeatable or whatever, but Calgary is a pretty good team too. Out of all the Flames games I've seen, Ottawa was one of the best in the 3rd period... its just the way the Flaems play, they sufficate you and kill you in the 3rd. Every team's fan says their team had an "off game" in the 3rd... Oilers, Canucks, Detriot... they'll tell you the same thing.

It's Darryl Sutter hockey. You might hate it, but thats what they do.
No offense to you or the flames, but if Ottawa was playing like they did in November and Calgary was playing like they did tonight, Ottawa would have destroyed them. I love the Flames and all and I've seen enogh Flames games to know how they play, but Calgary shutting down Ottawa in the third was nothing short of the Sens playing like ****.

In other news, I wouldn't mind seeing Petr Sykora on this team along with Weight.

Smolinski is good in bringing the puck into the other team's zone but he doesn't have enough talent to do anything after that, the defenders just easily strip him off the puck.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Sorry, but some of the things you're saying makes me think you've never seen Doug Weight play at all.
I second that. He obviously hasn't. Search for his comments on how he thinks the Sens are going to pad their stats against Colorado. That's one for the quote boards.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:35 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensDude
No offense to you or the flames, but if Ottawa was playing like they did in November and Calgary was playing like they did tonight, Ottawa would have destroyed them. I love the Flames and all and I've seen enogh Flames games to know how they play, but Calgary shutting down Ottawa in the third was nothing short of the Sens playing like ****.
I don't like playing the "if" game.

It's pointless because you can't prove anything.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf
Kipper once again saves Calgary. I really like Ottawa. I dont know why you guys are in panic mode. Your the best team around and in a slump whatever.. You cant win em all. I think you fans have your expectations of this team waaay to high. They'll pick it up again once they get back to the east.

No, the Senators allowed Calgary to dictate the pace of the game. They have this ability to make any team play down to the sloppy defensive levels. Once that happens, the Flames own teams.

Closed Thread