HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

When Marc Staal comes back, can McD or MDZ play the right side?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-23-2011, 01:33 PM
  #51
SouvenirCity
Registered User
 
SouvenirCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wading River, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
I don't see any sense in not reuniting our far and away best defensive pairing from last year, and I bet Torts feels the same way.

Prior to Sauer Coming Back

Staal - Girardi (#1)
McD - Erixon (#2A)
MDZ - Eminger/Bickel/Stralman/Woywitka (#2B)

When Sauer comes back

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
MDZ - Erixon/Eminger/Bickel/Stralman/Woywitka

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:37 PM
  #52
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: north finchley
Country: United States
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
lol he did well 2nite and has stepped it up since all the D injuries occured........top 4 minutes

I dont see a problem with having 3 good pairs. DZ is playing fantastic but he will get his time on the PP as well

Just go with Staal , Girardi, McDonaugh, Sauer, Del Zotto, Eminger/Stralman

I don't see the need for a Dman when healthy and so far so good with the troops subbing in

Rather spend cap space on a rental LW at the deadline

no need to do anything when the team is winning and challenging for top spot
sounds good to me. i 'like' this post.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:48 PM
  #53
BRONX_MADNESS*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
bardu sound pretty dumb right now bro stop condescending people for calling players by nicknames. almost as dumb as judging other dudes' taste in women IMO, very very gay and insecure

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:28 PM
  #54
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,173
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I won't. What's your pet name for Crosby? Did you cheer for the Devils at a Rangers/Devils game when Neidermeyer made a nice play? Better question, have you ever been to a Ranger game with that squishy perspective?
Been watching and going to Rangers games for 35 years.

Considering I grew up a mile from the Garden, and have had family work in the building where it is today and and before it moved from 49th and 8th I think I could say I have been around a while.

As mentioned I am a hockey fan first but I am a Rangers fan.

I can appreciate when a player made a good play, be that against out team or another team.

I want the Rangers to win every game. But if we get beat (and not beat ourselves) I can also appreciate that.

Having a single focus of "my team is best all others are crap" is childish and I don't entertain it.

The Flyers are a good team. The Penguins are a good team. Doesn't mean I like them or will root for them.

I also still watch hockey when the Rangers get eliminated from the Playoffs.

Not sure what your point is.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:45 PM
  #55
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
bardu sound pretty dumb right now bro stop condescending people for calling players by nicknames. almost as dumb as judging other dudes' taste in women IMO, very very gay and insecure
First of all I don't have any issues with references to nicknames. I don't understand a ranger fan cozying up to a rival player. In my section if someone referred to a devil player with a cutesy nickname he or she would get abused endlessly. Sorry but that's not what diehards do. Nothing immature or gay about it.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:46 PM
  #56
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
First of all I don't have any issues with references to nicknames. I don't understand a ranger fan cozying up to a rival player. In my section if someone referred to a devil player with a cutesy nickname he or she would get abused endlessly. Sorry but that's not what diehards do. Nothing immature or gay about it.
Edit: insecure. Not immature.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:46 PM
  #57
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
When Marc Staal comes back, he will be the first LD on the team and be paired with Girardi. Can either of McD or MDZ play the right side so they can be paired up?
First of all, when Staal comes back, there us no way in **** that Torts will throw him right into the fire. He will probably play 15 or so minutes a game and it won't be on the first pairing. The guy is just getting over a serious bout with pcs and so he needs to get back into game shape and reacclimated to the physical demands of his position. Playing defense is a totally different situation than throwing a Crosby or Giroux out there for 20+ minutes at center in their first games back and they play as if they've never been away.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:50 PM
  #58
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
There are exceptions to every rule.

And really, comparing Staal to Stevens? Seriously?

Stevens had a base from which to draw a conclusion that he was legit enough in the offensive zone to be game planned against when he had the puck. He had ESTABLISHED himself as a #1 before doing the right thing for the team and his teammates.

Staal has never topped 29 points, Stevens career high was 78 points before he allowed Neidermayer to step into the role of offensive catalyst.

Stevens stepped into the supporting role of #2 defenceman on the Devils top pairing with Neids and guess what happened? Well, you mentioned it yourself.

3 cups in 9 years and Neids was every bit as responsible as was Stevens.
Are you talking about winning a Norris trophy or being a #1 defensemen? Because there is a pretty huge difference.

There are, what, 30 #1 D's in the league? Give or take? 46 defensemen scored more points than Marc Staal last year. He is significantly better defensively than a good portion of them.

If Staal scored 9 more points (which would have put him in the top 30) but played significantly poorer defense would that make him a #1 D? Wonderful logic.

As for Stevens, the bolded is the only answer you needed to give. I wasn't comparing Staal to anyone. I was asking about Stevens because I was curious just how poorly you judged defensemen. The rest of your post is so off topic you might as well just wrote about what your favorite foods are.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:55 PM
  #59
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,173
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Are you talking about winning a Norris trophy or being a #1 defensemen? Because there is a pretty huge difference.

There are, what, 30 #1 D's in the league? Give or take? 46 defensemen scored more points than Marc Staal last year. He is significantly better defensively than a good portion of them.

If Staal scored 9 more points (which would have put him in the top 30) but played significantly poorer defense would that make him a #1 D? Wonderful logic.

As for Stevens, the bolded is the only answer you needed to give. I wasn't comparing Staal to anyone. I was asking about Stevens because I was curious just how poorly you judged defensemen. The rest of your post is so off topic you might as well just wrote about what your favorite foods are.
you bring up Stevens and when I point out why your comparison was brutal it's off topic?

nice

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:55 PM
  #60
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Miss a season after being FAR AND AWAY your teams best d-man over the course of your career and you're not a number 1 anymore.
Here we go again. Staal may be a #1 on our team but he isn't a #1 on many other teams in the league. As far as we go, better to work him in slowly so he can get his "sea legs" under him before reassuming the #1 d-man slot.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:03 PM
  #61
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
you bring up Stevens and when I point out why your comparison was brutal it's off topic?

nice
In the Eastern conference aside from Chara, Pronger, and Letang who would take in a trade straight up? Again take age out of the equation. I can't think of any other d-man where there's an argument and I'm not sure I would trade him for those guys.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:17 PM
  #62
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Has nothing to do with being out.

I just never viewed him as a #1 defenceman.

He's played that role by default, but I do not believe he has the requisite offensive skills to be a legit #1 defenceman.

He's a glorified #2 defenceman here in NY simply because of our lack of a true #1.

If what we are seeing from Del Zotto is not a fluke, and he does maintain a solid defensive posture and continues to put up the offensive numbers he is putting up, I would prefer him at the #1 spot and have Staal supporting him as our #2 (exactly where he belongs).

This is not meant as a knock on Staal. He's an incredible talent in his own right, just not rounded enough for me to consider him a legit #1 guy.
I agree with you about Staal being a #1 by default but I don't see MDZ as a #1 either. We have a bunch of solid, dependable defensemen with no true #1 but it doesn't really matter if you have 3 defensive pairings you can trust.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:18 PM
  #63
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Been watching and going to Rangers games for 35 years.

Considering I grew up a mile from the Garden, and have had family work in the building where it is today and and before it moved from 49th and 8th I think I could say I have been around a while.

As mentioned I am a hockey fan first but I am a Rangers fan.

I can appreciate when a player made a good play, be that against out team or another team.

I want the Rangers to win every game. But if we get beat (and not beat ourselves) I can also appreciate that.

Having a single focus of "my team is best all others are crap" is childish and I don't entertain it.

The Flyers are a good team. The Penguins are a good team. Doesn't mean I like them or will root for them.

I also still watch hockey when the Rangers get eliminated from the Playoffs.

Not sure what your point is.
Here, here! Well said. I don't understand how someone can get bashed on a hockey board because they appreciate the play of players on other teams.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:49 PM
  #64
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,869
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Did I really see a Staal and Stevens comparison? Stevens is one of the best defensemen to ever play, and arguably the most intimidating. Wow

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:51 PM
  #65
ciggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
what has marc staal done so great for this team that some of you feel he is whats gonna get this team to next level upon his return?

ciggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:58 PM
  #66
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
what has marc staal done so great for this team that some of you feel he is whats gonna get this team to next level upon his return?
Duh? Now that I think of it, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! Seems that when a player is injured and out of the lineup for a long period of time, there is a tendency to deify that player on this board.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:21 PM
  #67
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
you bring up Stevens and when I point out why your comparison was brutal it's off topic?

nice
Perhaps you can point out where I even mentioned Staal in my post.

Again, I was not comparing Staal or anyone else to Stevens. I mentioned Stevens to see how he fit in your "standards". Basically I wanted to see just how off the ****ing mark you were.

That was all.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:24 PM
  #68
ciggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Duh? Now that I think of it, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! Seems that when a player is injured and out of the lineup for a long period of time, there is a tendency to deify that player on this board.
i agree with you cause if you haven't noticed all the big boys the crosby's malkins and the OV's that everybody says staal is there kryptonite have done nothin to the rangers when staal was out

ciggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:58 PM
  #69
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
i agree with you cause if you haven't noticed all the big boys the crosby's malkins and the OV's that everybody says staal is there kryptonite have done nothin to the rangers when staal was out
I'm not knocking Staal, just merely stating a fact that he has not been nor will he ever be the difference for us in so far as advancing deep in the playoffs! It's about our lack of depth offensively not defensively that is holding us back in the playoffs.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:43 PM
  #70
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,173
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Perhaps you can point out where I even mentioned Staal in my post.

Again, I was not comparing Staal or anyone else to Stevens. I mentioned Stevens to see how he fit in your "standards". Basically I wanted to see just how off the ****ing mark you were.

That was all.
when a discussion is about a certain player and someone brings up another player, the comparisson is inherent wether you made the direct connection or not.

And I don't belive I am off the mark.

Staal does not have the requisite offensive skills to be a legit #1 defenceman and his skill set is that of a great #2 guy that would compliment a more offensive oriented defenceman.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:45 PM
  #71
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,173
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
In the Eastern conference aside from Chara, Pronger, and Letang who would take in a trade straight up? Again take age out of the equation. I can't think of any other d-man where there's an argument and I'm not sure I would trade him for those guys.
Karlsson from Ottawa

Myers from Buffalo

I would consider John Carlson from Washington as well.

All three players will be as good defensively as Staal is today AND they all possess the offensive skills needed to be a #1 guy.

Next question.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:47 PM
  #72
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,173
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Did I really see a Staal and Stevens comparison? Stevens is one of the best defensemen to ever play, and arguably the most intimidating. Wow
I didn't get that either.

made no sense.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:52 PM
  #73
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,173
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
what has marc staal done so great for this team that some of you feel he is whats gonna get this team to next level upon his return?
While I do not think he is a #1 defenceman, there's absolutely no doubt that he can and will help this team when he gets back and comfortable.

Staal helps ANY team he's on.

Marc Staal has been one of the best shut down defenceman in the league and his presense on our defence is going to enhance it a great deal.

I think that MDZ's game takes off once Staal is back.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:11 PM
  #74
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Did I really see a Staal and Stevens comparison? Stevens is one of the best defensemen to ever play, and arguably the most intimidating. Wow
Not quite. Someone said that Stevens never topped 35 points and then asked if that makes him any less of a #1 defensemen. That is not a side by side comparison, I don't know what you guys are reading that made you think otherwise.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:09 PM
  #75
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823
 
Blatant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @blatantlacrosse
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Everyone seems to forget that Staal is a #1 Shutdown defenseman.

Let Staal/Girardi shut down every top line. Let McD/Sauer be a solid shut down, where McD can get involved a lot with the rush. Let MDZ/? get ~10 Mins of ES time, and MDZ get a lot of power play and some PK time.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.