HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

jvr, class of 2007 drop out

Old
12-23-2011, 01:31 AM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
Yeah, he's playing like absolute garbage.

Time on ice needed to score a point:

Giroux - 14.3 minutes
Jagr - 16.4 minutes
Hartnell - 18.1 minutes
Briere - 23.1 minutes
JVR - 24.7 minutes
Voracek - 25.0 minutes
Read - 26.1 minutes
Simmonds - 32.3 minutes
Talbot - 35.3 minutes
Couturier - 44.1 minutes

Time on ice needed to score a goal:

Hartnell - 35.1 minutes
Giroux - 36.3 minutes
Jagr - 43.2 minutes
Read - 47.4 minutes
Simmonds - 51.7 minutes
JVR - 55.5 minutes
Briere - 57.8 minutes
Talbot - 58.9 minutes
Couturier - 79.4 minutes
Voracek - 105.19 minutes

We better trade him immediately, he's holding us back.

Also, keep in mind that JVR hasn't scored a goal since he sat out with that mysterious "upper body injury" either IIRC. That's 8 games and caounting I believe. JVR was even higher on that list before that "injury".

Oh, and lets not forget that this mysterious "upper body injury" was first suffered at the end of trainging camp in an exhibition game. IIRC JVR missed the last 2 pre-season games and it showed in his game that he wasn;t fully 100% even though he started the regular season with the rest of the team. You can clearly tells he's not 100% and that he agrevated that injury during the season. He really NEEDS to be shut down for 2 months or whatever it takes and get him 100% healthy. the problem with that is that there is no way in hell that he'd be in game shape for the playoffs this year. He's chosing to play through the injury just like most athletes do and to the casual observer "he's just not progressing" or is "fading/regressing".

Last edited by phlocky: 12-23-2011 at 01:38 AM.
phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:37 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Well I am going to wait and find out if he is indeed injured before passing judgement on his play of late. because clearly it appears that something is not right with him. He wasnt this bad before he went out for a short bit with the injury.
If that abdominal muscle is still ****ed up its going to hinder the way he skates, and the way he plays overall.
But per HF rules, the injury factor is usually ignored.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:06 AM

We just going to give up on him then? Idiot nicknames like James van useless won't help anyone.

He's got until the end of next year for me. Power forwards naturally do take longer and the glimpse we got of him in the play-offs last year was enough for me to stay patient.

Let's not forget that he's probably injured too.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 04:52 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Remember when versteeg had an injury and everyone called him useless.....

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Relax.
Yep. He's not the player people want him to be, but he's still good and he's still getting decent production. 50 points is a good player in the NHL. I mean, how many 60 point forwards do people think there are in the league?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:54 AM
decadentia

Everyone wanted Hartnell traded when he was in a funk at the start of the season, and he's been a consistent goalscorer for us over the years...now no one's complaining.

Give the kid a bit of rope, i'm surprised there are any naysayers, usually potential trumps all around here.

I would agree he could use some rest (if he is indeed injured). He's not doing a ton for us on the ice, we could afford to let him sit a bit.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Yep. He's not the player people want him to be, but he's still good and he's still getting decent production. 50 points is a good player in the NHL. I mean, how many 60 point forwards do people think there are in the league?
It was really funny when a poster said something along the lines of

" he's never going to be a franchise player, but I can see him hitting 70-80 points".

As if 80 point players grow on tree's

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:28 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Remember when JVR was 22 and had all that promise? What went wrong? Now he is almost 23 and is on pace for a career high in points. He's already over the hill and can't even score at a point per game. Wish we would have drafted someone else.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:57 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Remember when versteeg had an injury and everyone called him useless.....
Yup, I was one of the few on here that wanted us to keep him. Not only is he putting up the points this year but he's also a very good 2-way player and too many people seem to forget that past of his game (which he still displayed last year even while playing hurt).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Ryker

The bottom line is he was playing bad for US. I liked Versteeg when he was in Chicago, and I like him in Florida, but if he isn't playing well on our team, then I don't care what he can do on others. Sure, he might have been injured, and could play better, or he might have been a sleeper like Neal, but screw it, these are hard decisions to make, and his attitude last year didn't really do him any favours in terms of increasing his chances to stay on the team. Didn't he tweet or tell someone else to do it that he's taking his toe drag to Florida, after not getting an extension? We don't need such whiny and cocky *****es on our team, so I say good riddance

To stay on topic, though, if JvR is indeed injured, then I really hope they let him heal. He's clearly not a crucial cog in our play right now, so we afford to be without him for some time, but his possibly improved play would be a great contribution later.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
The bottom line is he was playing bad for US. I liked Versteeg when he was in Chicago, and I like him in Florida, but if he isn't playing well on our team, then I don't care what he can do on others. Sure, he might have been injured, and could play better, or he might have been a sleeper like Neal, but screw it, these are hard decisions to make, and his attitude last year didn't really do him any favours in terms of increasing his chances to stay on the team. Didn't he tweet or tell someone else to do it that he's taking his toe drag to Florida, after not getting an extension? We don't need such whiny and cocky *****es on our team, so I say good riddance

To stay on topic, though, if JvR is indeed injured, then I really hope they let him heal. He's clearly not a crucial cog in our play right now, so we afford to be without him for some time, but his possibly improved play would be a great contribution later.
He said that yes . . . after we traded him to Florida. Versteeg is a good player who played hard here. He had injuries and played hard anyway but was clearly hampered by them. There's not too much more to it than that.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Considering he had that sports hernia, I find it remarkable in retrospect how tough he was for us. I think he took more big hits than anyone on the team and he always bounced right back and dove back into the play. Seemed like he took a hit or two on every shift he played.

12-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Considering he had that sports hernia, I find it remarkable in retrospect how tough he was for us. I think he took more big hits than anyone on the team and he always bounced right back and dove back into the play. Seemed like he took a hit or two on every shift he played.
Honestly, people were never going to be happy with him considering what Holmgren payed to get him. Add to that his perceived underachieving and it's a wrap, he was never going to be liked here.

Old
12-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
The problem though is that this type of thinking leads to limited trade value. My beef with the Versteeg deal is that he was given what, 20 or 25 games to prove his value? That is not a reasonable amount of time to prove value. Then to trade him when his value is low is just plain dumb. That is like buying stock at $100 a share and then selling when it is at $50. We traded a first round pick for him and then 5 months later swap him for a 2nd rounder.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Seems like nobody can find any consistency with Briere, even Simmonds is scoring more w/out him. I still think JVR needs to play the RW if he's ever going to reach his full potential. He seems much more comfortable shielding the puck on his backhand, and when he comes down the LW he settles for 30 foot wristers.
This and when you have the greatest off wing player of all time on your team, washed up or not he should start asking for advice or something. Voracek is playing much better than him this year regardless of points.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
One of few players I have seen on the Flyers where he would get HAMMERED (not drinking hammered ) every game and would get easily taken off of the puck. I didnt mind Versteeg, but he did not look good playing for us.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
One of few players I have seen on the Flyers where he would get HAMMERED (not drinking hammered ) every game and would get easily taken off of the puck. I didnt mind Versteeg, but he did not look good playing for us.
Hahaha, that was the downside. He was getting ragdolled off the puck nonstop. Don't know if that was related to his injury or what, but I did admire his resilience while at the same time being annoyed that he'd gotten destroyed and lost the puck for the umpteenth time.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Squad50FF

The "drop out" with a nice goal. He needs to do more of this to realize his true potential. Very happy he put one in the net.

Squad50FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:24 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Neither JVR nor Jeff Carter are power forwards. A power forward uses his body to create space and force scoring chances.
Which he was doing in the playoffs. He stepped up so big, was bulling his way through opposing players, and then finding a soft touch around the net. I guess he can turn it on when he wants to, but can not maintain the level of physical play through the long regular season.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad50FF View Post
The "drop out" with a nice goal. He needs to do more of this to realize his true potential. Very happy he put one in the net.
He showed me something today to be honest. He was responsible for both goals tonight. First one he completely shielded Lundqvist, and the second one he battled 3 other rangers and scored. Im glad he got a bit dirty today and scored, he is too good not to produce.

Him and voracek i thought were our best players tonight.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Did he disappear for a while? I thought I didn't see him on the ice for a while, and suddenly I heard his name, then next shift he battled for a goal.

I'm beginning to really get behind this injury theory.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:48 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Did he disappear for a while? I thought I didn't see him on the ice for a while, and suddenly I heard his name, then next shift he battled for a goal.

I'm beginning to really get behind this injury theory.

His comments as well as Lavy's comments all but confirm an injury

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

So can we like...I don't know...heal him? Seriously, we JUST did this with Richards last year.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:16 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
So can we like...I don't know...heal him? Seriously, we JUST did this with Richards last year.
The only thing I can think (being that the rumored injury was in the abdomen) is that perhaps he has a hernia or something along those lines and would be out for the rest of the season (or close to it) if he had the surgery now.

And maybe he feels like he can play through it. Or maybe the team feels they need him now w/ all the other injuries. Or maybe the doctors have told him he wouldn't be in game shape by the start of the playoffs if he has the surgery.

I dunno... but he's playing an awful lot like Versteeg did w/ the hernia, so it wouldn't surprise me @ all if that's what he has.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:15 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

if it is a surgery injury, do it now... get it done. that is what I would do.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote