HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Hawks 2011-12 Rumor , Speculation , Trade Proposal , etc thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2011, 07:42 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Cap is not going down anytime soon

Infact there will be an infusion of 2M + per team added to cap next year because of TV deal kicking in
The players are currently getting 57% of the revenue. You honestly don't think that percentage is going to go down in the new CBA?

Old
12-22-2011, 07:44 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Whether or not that percentage goes down has nothing to do with the salary cap. As is, player's aren't making 100% of their contracted salary.

Old
12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Whether or not that percentage goes down has nothing to do with the salary cap. As is, player's aren't making 100% of their contracted salary.
The salary cap is based on that percentage though. Escrow is there because the cap is the projected earning of the year and because player cap hits are not directly tied to their salary for that year. So if the league doesn't earn as much as they projected the difference is taken out. If that percentage goes down I would assume the cap would go down with it. Unless the players agree to a rather large increase in the amount that the league can hold in escrow.

Old
12-22-2011, 07:53 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
The cap is determined by the previous years earnings.

With an improved tv deal bringing in more money, don't expect the cap to shrink for the next several years.

Old
12-22-2011, 08:19 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
The cap is determined by the previous years earnings.

With an improved tv deal bringing in more money, don't expect the cap to shrink for the next several years.
In the last CBA the cap was determined by projected profits for the next year and I would assume if the percentages are changed the players would not want the new cap based upon past earnings instead of next seasons earnings which should be higher than last years. And like I said earlier if the CBA ends up looking like the NFL or NBA with a 50/50 split the current cap would drop by 7.8 mil. So even if there is a TV deal that brings in 2 mil more per team and the league as a whole earns more money this year, I am not convinced it would make up for any substantial changes made to the revenue split.

Old
12-22-2011, 08:44 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
And like I said earlier if the CBA ends up looking like the NFL or NBA with a 50/50 split the current cap would drop by 7.8 mil.
I don't think you understand how happy most everybody is with how things are going now -- the NHL and NHLPA already fought most of the battles that the NFL and NBA were fighting. We will not see any significant changes in the CBA.

Hell, I'm not even sure there will be a new CBA.

Old
12-22-2011, 08:54 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
I don't think you understand how happy most everybody is with how things are going now -- the NHL and NHLPA already fought most of the battles that the NFL and NBA were fighting. We will not see any significant changes in the CBA.

I really do hope your right, but when it comes to money nothing would surprise me.

Old
12-22-2011, 08:57 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post

Actually, the owners just fought to get a better split because the NBA players got 57%...

Old
12-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
In the last CBA the cap was determined by projected profits for the next year

The cap is determined by the previous years revenues. Both sides can agree to a 5% escalator to these revenues.

And if they cut the % of the players cost they are going to want and haircut of salaries across the board. You can't have one without the other otherwise half the league would be over the new lower % cap. They did this with the last CBA with a 25% haircut

Last edited by Hawkscap: 12-23-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old
12-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Actually, the owners just fought to get a better split because the NBA players got 57%...
No, they fought because 22 NBA teams were losing money.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:55 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
The cap is determined by the previous years revenues. Both sides can agree to a 5% escalator to these revenues.
Your the second person to correct me on this so maybe I'm not writing clearly enough. When the last CBA was negotiated the first year it went into effect the cap was based on the projected revenue for that year. I would expect the players to push for that again if the owners push to lower the players share of league revenues. So the only way I can see the cap staying the same or going up is if the players agree to a rather substantial increase in escrow, because even with a new tv contract and natural growth, I don't see how the cap can overcome anything more than a 3% drop in the players share without going down.

Old
12-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
No, they fought because 22 NBA teams were losing money.
And that would be false

The NBA caved in to appease big markets ,, Tons of those small markets will still lose money and have bleak futures

Old
12-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
And that would be false

The NBA caved in to appease big markets ,, Tons of those small markets will still lose money and have bleak futures
Yep. In the NFL CBA negotiations, the owners had all the power and stood together. They could dictate more what they wanted, especially because it isn't like the NFL players had anywhere else to go.

In the NBA, as dysfunctional as the organization and owners are, the simple fact was a lot of the players didn't care, and many could go overseas to make as much if not more. Their season was in jeopardy and the owners couldn't afford to have it cancelled, so they caved, screwing the small market teams yet again.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:56 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Clearly time to trade everything for Ryan/Getzlaf

Ryan-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Getzlaf-Hossa

awww yeah

Old
12-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Clearly time to trade everything for Ryan/Getzlaf

Ryan-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Getzlaf-Hossa

awww yeah
Worst top-six in the NHL AINEC.

Old
12-24-2011, 05:27 AM
ploppsdman

I'd like to see the 'hawks grab Gleason and Ruutu from Carolina now and call it a day. Olsen, Paradis (org. Cane pick), and a 1st in 2013. That should get it done. Might need conditional picks if the 'hawks re-sign either.

Ruutu would be the perfect pick up. Already familiar with Chicago, can play wing and center, has skill and hits. I don't know if I'd prefer him on the first line with Toews/Kane, or as the second line center ... but that's just too perfect of a fit.

Last edited by ploppsdman: 12-24-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old
12-24-2011, 05:30 AM
Sarava

Whatever they end up doing, it sounds like Stan is itching to do something. In the new Sun-Times article, he comes out and says he hopes to trade prospects or future picks to upgrade the team. But other teams aren't ready to trade just yet.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/96268...lackhawks.html

Old
12-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Am I the only one that doesn't like Getzlaf? Guy is talented and big, but lazy as hell and looks disinterested most of the time

Old
12-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Whatever they end up doing, it sounds like Stan is itching to do something. In the new Sun-Times article, he comes out and says he hopes to trade prospects or future picks to upgrade the team. But other teams aren't ready to trade just yet.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/96268...lackhawks.html
I wouldn't expect anything before the all star break.

Old
12-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Not entirely sure where to put this...I come in peace.

I think it's clear what I think of Dave Bolland. Not much. However, I need to know what you guys think in terms of offense production. He's on pace now for roughly 35 points, I picked him in my fantasy pool expecting 45-50 points.

Was that a poor expectation? Will he heat up? Why does he do so much better against Vancouver than other teams?

Thanks guys!

Old
12-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Not entirely sure where to put this...I come in peace.

I think it's clear what I think of Dave Bolland. Not much. However, I need to know what you guys think in terms of offense production. He's on pace now for roughly 35 points, I picked him in my fantasy pool expecting 45-50 points.

Was that a poor expectation? Will he heat up? Why does he do so much better against Vancouver than other teams?

Thanks guys!
He's hurt and has been playing hurt for much of the season. He was off to a very hot start before the injury. His production will depend on how he heals during the season.

Old
12-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

If Bickell and Stalberg gel with Bolland in the middle, I'd expect him to pick up his point production quite a bit.

Like said above, he's been playing with a foot injury for a while and it has been obvious... add in the disinterest from Bickell until recently and Frolik's extended cold-streak. He should pick it up. I'm thinking he still hits around 40+ points but it depends on his linemates.

It seems like when his linemates aren't producing or giving effort, Bolland goes into strictly defensive mode and doesn't create offense. If his linemates are hustling and make a few good plays, Bolland really picks it up offensively.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Illinihockey

Was thinking Rick Nash would be a great target for the Hawks then realized Nash makes $7.8 million until the 2018 season...how is that possible?

Old
12-27-2011, 09:49 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Was thinking Rick Nash would be a great target for the Hawks then realized Nash makes $7.8 million until the 2018 season...how is that possible?
They couldn't afford to lose him and his game has sagged the last couple years. Look at Eric Staal, same cap hit or close to it. Those bottom feeders can't afford to lose their top guys.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Illinihockey

Trade freeze ends tonight. I'm excited to see what Bowman will do. I love that he realizes this team still has big needs despite them being in 1st. Could you envision Angelo or Paxson talking about how they need to be aggressive in the trade market with their teams having the best record in their respective sports?

Closed Thread