HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Caps/Canucks Trade Prposal/Thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 03:30 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
What about if the Canucks agreed to take Lang in a deal with Gonchar, then sent say Morrison/Umberger/something to Washington? It would cost Vancouver some cash but would really push them over the edge into bonafide contender status in the West. The trade price for Lang+Gonchar would likely not be much more than just Gonchar alone.
Its arguable Lang+Gonchar is in fact worth less than Gonchar alone based on Lang's salary.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:46 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Any team trading for him will be thinking UFA rental. His birthday is April 13 1974. He'll be 30 and off contract, if there is a lock out he comes back as a UFA and he's lost to the team. Any GM would consider this. His value goes up if the Caps can sign him long term though.

Any Vancouver trade around Morrison just wouldn't work. Even though Gonchar is the better player, adding Gonchar (and offensive D to a team with plenty of offensive D) and subtracting the #1 center leads to a worse Nucks team IMHO.

I'd think something along the lines of Koltsov, Umberger and a 1st would work. I wouldn't do it, because that is a lost of future for a 1 year rental. If the Caps signed him long term it might work.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:20 AM
CivicSI_JB

To be honest, the thought of having Gonchar here with Ohlund, Jovo, Salo, Malik....

Truth is simply this, won't happen. If it's a deal involving picks/prospects then maybe. Once players like Jovo, Morrison, Cooke are added, no way. This team is among the elite in the league and are among the few favorites to win the Stanley Cup, NOT TO MENTION #1 OVERALL IN THE NHL

So why in the world would Burke pull a blockbuster, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and our depth on the backend is great already.

The ONLY way I could ever see this happening, is if the Caps had interest in Sopel and Burke would be willing to add picks an/or prospects. Gonchar is better offensively and defensively than Sopel, so we upgrade. The Caps get Sopel (again, assuming GMGM wants him, who would be a d-man who could step right in), as well as some prospects for a rebuild.

Considering there are 5 guys (Bondra, Lang, Gonchar, Kolzig, Jagr) as the top players, if Gonchar was to go, then a rebuild would definately follow. Bondra is gonna retire soon, Gonchar as said would be gone, I'm hearing Kolzig rumours all season so far, and Jagr and Lang are overpriced and being shopped, so what does that tell you. With Sopel stepping in, and a D prospect (Allen, Koltsov, etc) going back, they shore up the defense for the future with Witt, Eminger and Yonkman.

But the way I see it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Burke would never do this unless he knew Sopel was going, and he could afford the picks/prospects for a shot at the cup. I would bet $1000 though, that Gonchar will NEVER be traded to Vancouver.

Closed Thread