HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Gainey now with the team

Old
12-23-2011, 09:45 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
because before we were dominating teams and winning?
before, we were 2 pts behind 6th...

you think we'll catch up eventually ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:20 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
before, we were 2 pts behind 6th...

you think we'll catch up eventually ?
We sucked then...and we suck now. You don't get style points for how you lose. A loss is a loss. We lost with Martin and we're losing with Cunneyworth. Would be nice to have Gio in the lineup.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:56 PM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

I'm very much of Red Fisher's opinion that Serge Savard is the man who is taking over the desk shortly, Red has A LOT of contacts and if he says Serge Savard ...

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:57 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
My pet theory is that they are at the max of expenditures vs not making the playoffs. Molson is probably short changing management (if so) because he wants to get rid of the loans as quickly as possible. If ever the US$ would go back to previous numbers vs CND, Habs would be in deep doo-doo. He's being pragmatic about it, just like any business man. I know little children around here have a hard time coping with the reality of hockey being a business, but that's just how our civilization works, they better get used to it.
I'm fully aware of all of this, but competent support means less changes. I wouldn't hire every guy under the sun but the competent ones with potential i'd certainly groom under positions. 1-2 guys won't hurt. Roy for instance, love the guy and he has experience in both management and coaching and had success. At same time, he has no pro management experience, so having him earn his time and grooming him isn't a bad choice IMO. I would agree though that it's tough to invest after we got a lot of dead weight cash with gomez and company, I meant more in the future.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORENW View Post
I'm very much of Red Fisher's opinion that Serge Savard is the man who is taking over the desk shortly, Red has A LOT of contacts and if he says Serge Savard ...
The ****ing guy is nearing 70 years old and hasn't been a GM in this league for 15+ years.

The game has changed a LOT since then.

That would be a ****ing disaster. We may as well bring Jacques Demers back as head coach too.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Since most of UFAs were signed by him, I'd say he would have a good chance of having a strong influence on them. BG's far from the best strategist when it comes to coaching, but from what I know he's a really good motivator.
If the room is in disarray maybe this is a solution. Years ago I remember Bobby Smith saying on radio that Gainey's calling was as a coach (implying moreso than a manager). When you were coached by Gainey he communicated with you one on one, you knew where you stood and you knew what was expected. It could be argued if anything he overcommunicated.

Without knowing what's going on in the dressing room and with there being a lot of highly paid veterans, it's impossible to know precisely what characteristics are needed in a coach.

Having said that I believe Gainey's credibility is waning and fans would take this as a step back.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:02 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
The ****ing guy is nearing 70 years old and hasn't been a GM in this league for 15+ years.

That would be a ****ing disaster. We may as well bring Jacques Demers back as head coach too.
Actually, he's 65. But, I agree he's too old. He did well with the Habs early by building that late 80s team & even in building that '93 team, but boy he was a disaster after that. His first round picks were pretty much all busts except Koivu and Cassels. I really don't want to go back to those days. People complain about our 1st rd picks now? lol

Let's see in the last 12 years we've drafted Higgins, Komisarek, Price, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn, McDonagh, & Hainsey, who have all gone on to be solid NHLers. We've had one true bust Fisher. And two other players Chipchura & Perezhogin who have played in the NHL but aren't FT NHLers.

I can remember a long string with Savard where the draft picks were all Chipchuras or Fishers. They were either out right busts, or AHL players: Terry Ryan, Brad Brown, David Wilkie, Brent Bilodeau, Lindsay Vallis, Eric Charron, Mark Pederson, & Jose Charbonneau. Brutal just brutal. They were absolutely in love with big tough western boys back then. The only one that succeeded was Turner Stevenson.

When they went outside that as in Saku Koivu and Andrew Cassels they did all right. Habs built that 93 team from that 87 draft. Cassels, Leclair, Desjardins & Schneider were our 1st four picks. Not one of them was drafted from the WHL. We even drafted Ed Ronan in the 11th round that year too.

Savard was also part of the worst trades in Habs history. Chelios for Savard. Leclair AND Desjardins for Recchi. Wow. Just wow.

Savard hasn't been involved in the game in a long time. I hope this rumour isn't true. We need new blood.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

Would anyone have a list of possible bilingual coaches out there?! (besides the obvious Guy Boucher!).

Jacques Demers as interim coach for the rest of the season!! Patrick Roy and Carbo as assistant coaches!!!! (1993 memories of last Cup won by our Habs! could be a real circus!?!).

Maybe Gainey will take over as coach? just until they can find/interview bilingual coaches out there!

I'm all for a bilingual coach, but...with the language ''thing'' we really limit our choices which again puts our Habs at a disadvantage.

What if we had a chance of hiring a young Scotty Bowman-type of coach? (but doesn't speak any french...yet). Time for a translator? (gives time for new coach to take lessons during summers).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 12-24-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Padrino86

Quote:
huh, considering the best moves he mades in an attempt to save his job were to fire Pearn and later JM... I'm very afraid of what he could do come trade deadline...
What about Gainey's moves?

The Gomez trade, signing cammalleri

it's just as bad as firing pearn/jm and signing markov to a stupid contract

Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORENW View Post

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...situation.html

Quote:
Geoff Molson. As far as I see it, he has two options.

Number one:

When the Canadiens reconvene after Christmas, Molson's got to be there. I'm not a big believer in owners entering the dressing room, but this is a special occasion.

He should admit that the organization's done a terrible job this season of putting the players in the best environment to succeed. The two game-day coaching changes, the language controversy -- terrible. There's enough craziness in Montreal without that stuff. You cannot demand others' accountability without showing yours.

Then, he should bluntly tell the players that it's time to move on. As the owner, his is the one voice they must listen to, because he determines their futures. He's got to let them know that he will make painful decisions -- including putting players in the AHL -- if things don't change.

Or, there's option two:

Bring back Bob Gainey, because Gainey will gladly do all of that stuff for him. And, there is a belief around the NHL that Molson is trying to convince him to return.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:40 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
We sucked then...and we suck now. You don't get style points for how you lose. A loss is a loss. We lost with Martin and we're losing with Cunneyworth. Would be nice to have Gio in the lineup.
ok, let me rephrase with a different vocabulary, you might understand better...

with JM, we were catching up on teams above us

with Connie, we're catching up the teams below us

better now ?

Old
12-24-2011, 08:41 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino86 View Post
What about Gainey's moves?

The Gomez trade, signing cammalleri

it's just as bad as firing pearn/jm and signing markov to a stupid contract
last thing you want is a guy willing to do anything to save his job...

Old
12-24-2011, 08:43 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
Actually, he's 65. But, I agree he's too old. He did well with the Habs early by building that late 80s team & even in building that '93 team, but boy he was a disaster after that. His first round picks were pretty much all busts except Koivu and Cassels. I really don't want to go back to those days. People complain about our 1st rd picks now? lol

Let's see in the last 12 years we've drafted Higgins, Komisarek, Price, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn, McDonagh, & Hainsey, who have all gone on to be solid NHLers. We've had one true bust Fisher. And two other players Chipchura & Perezhogin who have played in the NHL but aren't FT NHLers.

I can remember a long string with Savard where the draft picks were all Chipchuras or Fishers. They were either out right busts, or AHL players: Terry Ryan, Brad Brown, David Wilkie, Brent Bilodeau, Lindsay Vallis, Eric Charron, Mark Pederson, & Jose Charbonneau. Brutal just brutal. They were absolutely in love with big tough western boys back then. The only one that succeeded was Turner Stevenson.

When they went outside that as in Saku Koivu and Andrew Cassels they did all right. Habs built that 93 team from that 87 draft. Cassels, Leclair, Desjardins & Schneider were our 1st four picks. Not one of them was drafted from the WHL. We even drafted Ed Ronan in the 11th round that year too.

Savard was also part of the worst trades in Habs history. Chelios for Savard. Leclair AND Desjardins for Recchi. Wow. Just wow.

Savard hasn't been involved in the game in a long time. I hope this rumour isn't true. We need new blood.
Chipchura has played every game since his call-up 20+, I believe).

Perezhogin would be a FT NHL'er if he wanted to be.

Fischer is the only one who is a bust (and even still, who knows? I've heard he's looked pretty good in the ECHL this season, so maybe he works his way up to the NHL at some point)

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

here is what Gainey said Feb 2010

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=309444
Quote:
"I've done my best and now it's time for me to pass the torch," Gainey said on Monday. "I believe that the general manager position requires a long-term vision and a long-term commitment. At this point, I'm not prepared to make a commitment of four or five or six more years in this position.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:

What is with referring to former Hab greats as "The ****ing guy..."?

Whatever happened to politeness and respect for our elders?

???

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:42 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
ok, let me rephrase with a different vocabulary, you might understand better...

with JM, we were catching up on teams above us

with Connie, we're catching up the teams below us

better now ?
Martin lost 6 of his last 8 games. He had a healthy Gionta for most of that.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:45 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post

???
Out the window when they booed Gainey at the 100th anniversary celebration. Some people just don't get it.

I felt so bad when that happened.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:45 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
here is what Gainey said Feb 2010

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=309444
Yes because we know people never change their minds....

I would take BG back anyday.

Atleast he would use some tough guys in the line up...

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Would anyone have a list of possible bilingual coaches out there?! (besides the obvious Guy Boucher!).

Jacques Demers as interim coach for the rest of the season!! Patrick Roy and Carbo as assistant coaches!!!! (1993 memories of last Cup won by our Habs! could be a real circus!?!).

Maybe Gainey will take over as coach? just until they can find/interview bilingual coaches out there!

I'm all for a bilingual coach, but...with the language ''thing'' we really limit our choices which again puts our Habs at a disadvantage.

What if we had a chance of hiring a young Scotty Bowman-type of coach? (but doesn't speak any french...yet). Time for a translator? (gives time for new coach to take lessons during summers).
I agree, Demers, Roy, and Carbonneau wouldn't be an improvement. As for a monolingual coach learning French, the jackals in the French media wouldn't give him any slack. They'd bite him relentlessly from Day 1.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

???
Don't you respect the uninhibited adolescents whose excretions are spattered all over this forum every single day? I amend that. Some of them are over 21 years of age.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:21 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

???
What is it with HF boards accepting it ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:36 AM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I've heard this too (Molson trying to convince Gainey to come back) and believe me, I'm more than a little concerned. I've been the biggest BG apologist over the years because I always felt he had the team's best interest at heart and maybe, just maybe there was a method to his perceived madness.

Sufficed to say, I've changed my mind.

Gainey has had 8 years to turn this franchise into a contender and I'm very sorry to say he hasn't. What's more, he's consistently depended on the wrong people (hi PG) and been a poor evaluator of talent both in terms of players and coaches.

I can't be too hard on the man though. He stood by Carey, stood up for Brisebois and brought us Gorges and Max. Still, his time is done.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I don't want Gainey anymore. Enough of the duo of Gauthier-Gainey.

We need a breath of fresh air.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:11 AM
deandebean

Guys, Gainey or Savard would be temporary, until they find a new full time GM this summer. To calm things down, it would be a logical move to make. Gainey AND Savard had the respect of the players when they were there.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:14 AM
pine*

I'm all for Gainey as interim GM, before doing a complete and thorough search for a GM+coach...

Of course, this is provided that he knows what his mandate is, meaning don't trade futures for band-aids because the ceiling is leaking. In fact, that ceiling is long gone beyond repair and will need to be replaced.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote