HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

2011/12 Teemu Selanne Discussion (Welcome Back Teemu - 1 Year $4M NMC)

Old
09-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Metalcommand

vCash: 500
As he returns to the NHL he also returned to his Finnish blog on MTV3.fi
I'm going to translate it for you. Not going to be perfect but passable.
------------------------------

Hello to everyone again! Placing oneself and returning to the everyday rutine has went well. The kids have begun school and normal hockey things are beginning so here we go again. Finally I have a new contract in my pocket of which I am happy. Although this happiness is being shadowed by sad things around hockey at the moment.

Summer and Autumn have been a sad time for the hockey world, the deaths of my three NHL collagues and now the crash of Jaroslav have shocked us all. So many lost their sons, husbands, fathers, friends and hockey lost so many fine players. A lot of young men in their prime of their lives.

I knew around twenty of them, more or less. I was the closest with Ruslan Salei. We played together in the Ducks for 6 years. I am going to miss this wonderful man, sadly life is often so unfair. I wish power and perseverance to the loved ones and families. During a time of sorrow life has continue and the show must go on...

The 20th year of my NHL career is about to begin. It's a long time and I still find it hard to believe that I'm still playing and having so much fun. Although, this summer I thought many times that this is it. Rehabilitating a knee is such slow work.

Often a surgery just gives you the opportunity to be healthy and it's the physiotheraphy afterwards that defines how well the injury can heal. I have long days behind me. First in the morning I hit the gym or the bike then onto the ice and after it to knee rehabilitation. A horrible amount of sets for the bollocks (ass, whatever ) and around the knee area. They have to be made strong enough to keep the knee in the right line in order to minimize the pain.

The knee won't probably be completely painless. It hasn't been like that in many years but it hasn't affected the games altough I think I need a little help from the hockey gods so that things hold together also this year.

Training camp opens on Friday with medical checks and condition tests. The latter includes among other things: pull-up, jumping, legstrength power and bike tests. First you have the 30 second speed test with the resistance set yo your own weight and you just peddle as fast as you can. Then there's the longer test where you pedal with the oxygen mask on for as long as you can. They up the resistance every two minutes and you pedal as long as your legs carry you.

It's not a rosy day for anyone, the competition for roster spots begins at that point. Many players call our conditioning coach during the summer to pry some info about what tests we will have and start to specifically train for them. The tests can se so important to some people. The competition for the NHL spots is so tough that everyone is ready to do almost anything to secure spot. You see, we got people coming in (to the team) from windows and doors.

Our training camps under Carlyle have always been really tough and that must be one of the reasons why season starts have always been really hard for us. Simply we have pushed so hard that the team hasn't yet had the time to recover. On the other hand, there have been no late season slow-downs so in the end game it has shown itself a working way to do things.

Soon we will be arriving to Finland. I eagerly await that trip but lets talk aabout it later. Until then, California out....

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:59 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnxu5...eature=related

I was watching this clip about Selanne and McDonald. The last question is pretty sick! Teemu has had speeding ticket in Finland that was 62 000? Canadian dollars. Holy crap!

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:17 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnxu5...eature=related

I was watching this clip about Selanne and McDonald. The last question is pretty sick! Teemu has had speeding ticket in Finland that was 62 000? Canadian dollars. Holy crap!
In finland how big ticket you get depends about how much you earn... So no matter how rich you are, it will still hurt your ass badly to get fined. It actually works, rich people dont have "right" to speeding that way. Teemu got fined 64k Canadian dollars, some student or other poor could have driven same way and got 150 canadians ticket.

Sometimes there's just ridiclouse sums of speeding tickets given... once Kimi Räikkönen had a ticket from driving without drivers licence with that car-house / motorhome thing..

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Mooseduck

Good blog Flash

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:49 PM
vadox6466

Any new translations for the latest blog?

vadox6466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadox6466 View Post
Any new translations for the latest blog?
Yes. Roughly translated it reads: " Why the **** didn't I retire, instead of coming back for this ****??!?!"

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:03 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
Yes. Roughly translated it reads: " Why the **** didn't I retire, instead of coming back for this ****??!?!"
Think he went on to say, at least I'm getting paid millions for this

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:08 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

I feel so bad for him, what a pathetic group of teammates he has

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:52 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
And a coach. I really hope he'd be traded to a cup contender... Sadly that's not going to happen.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:54 AM
pesko

Here's a quick translation. The entry was posted on 11/3

===

It's harder to lose on the road

Happy Halloween everybody, it was that time of the year again.

I have to say, that for the last few games it has looked like a local beer league team dressed up as the Ducks for Halloween, and went out to play in the NHL. It really does feel hard at times, that that it's supposed to be easy. But we'll rise again, this team has made a habit out of making it the hardest way.

But it is exhausting. Even more exhausting is, when you're losing when on the road. Then you have too much time to think about the negative things. At home you can tune out from hockey the moment you open your home door. Fortunately, I'm traveling with great company, and we'll try to make it as comfortable as possible.

Probably the biggest thing I'll be missing are the dressing rooms. Joking with good friends, wins, losses, crying, laughter.. It's all a part of the trade. It's hard to come by anywhere else, we go thorough so many things together. The team becomes very tightly knit, like a family. The coaches are like the strict fathers, who maintain discipline and are sometimes hated, sometimes admired. The athletic therapists and equipment managers are like the mothers, who do the laundry, take care of everything and keep us in shape, physically and mentally. Everybody works at building a successful, winning team. I can say that it isn't easy to create a team, that has the right chemistry and spirit out of 25 individuals.

I'd say the hardest job has to belong to the head coach. It's nearly impossible to keep 25 players satisfiers. Everybody is an individual, who has to be respected as he is. To get the best performance out of a player requires a great deal of people management skills. Not everybody can be treated the same. Some players need to be yelled at and shaken a bit, some need to be encouraged and treated gently. It's the only way to get everyone playing at their best for the team.

I guess the same methods apply in families and businesses, and in many other environments where people act as a team. It presents plenty of challenges. I think that our coach Carlyle has developed in this aspect, on how to treat people as individuals. He's done a good job at it, despite being an old school coach.

I'm reminded of a funny story about my ex-teammate Dustin Penner. He's a little lazy, and needs a bit of tough love. Carlyle used to yell at him so much, that I started to fear how he could cope with it. Carlyle would repeat ****'n Penner, ****'n Penner all the time, all year long. After the season Dustin told us with a smile that he started to think his forename actually was ****'n. He was probably smiling partly because we won the Stanley Cup that year.

Two games left out of a seven game, 14-day road trip, let's hope we can start rising from this slump. In my next blog entry I could answer some of your questions, if you have any. Until that, have a great autumn!

pesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:32 PM
vadox6466

Quote:
Lmao, and he thinks so too currently .. hilarious when he said the ducks look like a beer league team!

vadox6466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:28 AM
pesko

Teemu has two new blog entries up. He's been busy writing, but I recon everyone in the team has been occupied with their hobbies lately. Do people still want to read them? I could translate, but I'd rather do something else if no one is interested.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesko View Post
Teemu has two new blog entries up. He's been busy writing, but I recon everyone in the team has been occupied with their hobbies lately. Do people still want to read them? I could translate, but I'd rather do something else if no one is interested.
I'm pretty sure that everyone is interested what Teemu has to say. I tried to find his blog few weeks ago but couldn't find it for some reason...

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I think one of the entries is translated on the Winnipeg board.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1060541

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:20 PM
pesko

I didn't see that, I did translate them anyway, so I might as well post them here:

The Return to Winnipeg

Hello everybody, it's been a while.

And late congratulations to Finland, happy Independence day! 94 years as a sovereign state. Thank you again to all of our war heroes. We're proud and grateful for everything we have.

Time has passed since my last blog entry, but nothing has really changed - except for the coaches. Loss after loss, night after night. Unbelievable, but true.

We have tried it all. Every game, something is at fault: from power play to penalty killing, the goalie, the superstars or the regular guys. And some nights, everything is failing us.

And so it went that the coaches had to go. They paid the price for it all. I'm frustrated about this at the moment, especially for the coaches. They tried everything they could, but to no avail. What I mean is, it's us - the players - who dug the hole we're in.

The GM tried his hardest to be patient but eventually, something had to be done, and I can't blame him for that. I'm very grateful for Randy Carlyle. The years with him have been the greatest of my career. Not only because we won the Stanley Cup, but also because he gave me a new chance as a player after a long and excruciating knee injury.

Randy believed, that I could still play at this level and compete at 35 years of age - after a major knee surgery. I don't know how many coaches would've taken that chance. The fact that he knew me well from years back certainly played a role, after all we played together in Winnipeg in the 90's.

Speaking of that, we're heading to Winnipeg next week. I marked it down in my calendar back in July, even though I didn't know if I'd be playing at the game. I don't really know what to expect. 15 years have passed since I played there. I have amazing memories from those times, and I'm happy that I started my career in the NHL in Winnipeg.

The people of Winnipeg made us players feel special. It's not without reason that the license plates in Winnipeg read "Friendly Manitoba". The people are genuinely friendly and caring, which is often the upside of a smaller city.

I was very happy to hear that Winnipeg was getting a NHL team once again. The city and the people truly deserve it. Think about it, they sold out season tickets for four years in 13 minutes! The only thing I don't miss about Winnipeg, and that I'll never forget, is how cold it was, and still is. During some months the mean temperature was -13 (°F), ouch! I remember several times when I opened the door in the morning for the two rottwailers we had back then, Teddy and Domi, they didn't want to go out and looked at me like I was crazy. Sometimes schools and malls were closed because of freezing temperatures, but a hockey game was never cancelled. After every game and practice hundreds of fans were waiting too see a glimpse of their heroes, no matter what the weather was.

I have to tell a story about one of these extreme fans. After one day's practice we went out for lunch with a few teammates to a local restaurant. After we were don't the waiter came to me and said that there are two girls sitting in the corner who asked, if they could have the bones left behind from my plate of chicken wings. I looked at her baffled for a moment and said, Okay! When the girls left, they came over to thank for the bones and were beyond exited. I wonder if they still have the bones, haha!

We have 55 games of regular season left. Despite the catastrophically bad start to a season, we still can turn it around. A new coach brings new tricks. Believe is the most important word right now. We've talked the talk, watched the videos and have a hell of a lot f work to do. As Nike says it, "Just do it!".

Old
12-22-2011, 12:21 PM
pesko

The Night I'll Never Forget

I've had the 17th of December in my mind for a long time now, ever since summer. I didn't need a calendar to remember it. I knew that it would be a very important day in my carreer, the day when I finally could say to the city of Winnipeg and it's great people: THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!

Four amazing years were ended with a bitter phone call, and the next day i found myself literally flying to the Ducks and towards new challenges. During those four years an unbelievable bond formed between me and the fans. They made me feel so important, so special. During the games, they gave me so much energy that I felt that we had an extra player on the ice. I never got the chance to say goodbye to the fans, and neither did they.

Last saturday it was all made right, and in what way! It's hard to put to words the feelings I experienced during the 20 hour visit. The most eager fans were waiting outside the hotel at 3am, and the press conference filled the ballroom with reporters. It felt like everyone had their own story they wanted to tell and thanks they wanted to give.

I felt during the warmup that this would be a night to remember. I almost wished that this game would never end. What made the experience even more special, was that my mother and my family was there to share it with me. My boys were slack-jawed the whole game, wondering if this is real. They saw first hand what the Canadian passion and respect for hockey is. On Monday at the airport checkin, a waiter holding a platter with jelly rolls ran out from the restaurant to say good bye to me and my family, she (or he) was very emotional and said that, "The game last Saturday was THE BEST hockey event ever, I mean ever. I was crying from the national anthems till the final horn of the first period. Thank you for returning home!".

In the after game press conference the final question allowed me to say to the city and it's people everything that I couldn't from the ice. A local reported asked me if there's anything left I'd like to say. One thing was enough: Thank you!

Even though our season has been a nightmare, the visit to Helsinki at the start of the season and the trip to Winnipeg alone have made this season for me! I'm so VERY grateful for these experiences!

It feels like two huge circles have been closed. I got to say goodbye to two so very important places in my career. Actually, only goodbyes to Anaheim are left, and it's looming around the corner, in due time…

A merry and peaceful Christmas to everybody!

Old
12-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Fighter
Legend

Thanks for the translation!

It seems like this is really his last season. Hope he changes his mind, he's still so good despite the age.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:37 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Can we point it in response to Selanne to Winnipeg trade rumors?
Quote:
It feels like two huge circles have been closed. I got to say goodbye to two so very important places in my career. Actually, only goodbyes to Anaheim are left, and it's looming around the corner, in due time…

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
OBVIOUSLY he's saying goodbye to Anaheim so he can go back to Winnipeg. Read between the lines, man, read between the lines.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:23 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
What DVM said

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 02:10 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesko View Post
The Night I'll Never Forget

I've had the 17th of December in my mind for a long time now, ever since summer. I didn't need a calendar to remember it. I knew that it would be a very important day in my carreer, the day when I finally could say to the city of Winnipeg and it's great people: THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!

Four amazing years were ended with a bitter phone call, and the next day i found myself literally flying to the Ducks and towards new challenges. During those four years an unbelievable bond formed between me and the fans. They made me feel so important, so special. During the games, they gave me so much energy that I felt that we had an extra player on the ice. I never got the chance to say goodbye to the fans, and neither did they.

Last saturday it was all made right, and in what way! It's hard to put to words the feelings I experienced during the 20 hour visit. The most eager fans were waiting outside the hotel at 3am, and the press conference filled the ballroom with reporters. It felt like everyone had their own story they wanted to tell and thanks they wanted to give.

I felt during the warmup that this would be a night to remember. I almost wished that this game would never end. What made the experience even more special, was that my mother and my family was there to share it with me. My boys were slack-jawed the whole game, wondering if this is real. They saw first hand what the Canadian passion and respect for hockey is. On Monday at the airport checkin, a waiter holding a platter with jelly rolls ran out from the restaurant to say good bye to me and my family, she (or he) was very emotional and said that, "The game last Saturday was THE BEST hockey event ever, I mean ever. I was crying from the national anthems till the final horn of the first period. Thank you for returning home!".

In the after game press conference the final question allowed me to say to the city and it's people everything that I couldn't from the ice. A local reported asked me if there's anything left I'd like to say. One thing was enough: Thank you!

Even though our season has been a nightmare, the visit to Helsinki at the start of the season and the trip to Winnipeg alone have made this season for me! I'm so VERY grateful for these experiences!

It feels like two huge circles have been closed. I got to say goodbye to two so very important places in my career.

A merry and peaceful Christmas to everybody!

ending your historic career on a awful team

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 03:23 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:

ending your historic career on a awful team
Hey it reminds the Mighty Ducks in the 90s Circle is complete.

BTW who has the record for best last season in the NHL? Mike Bossy had 38+37=75 in 63 games so Selänne could beat that and it would mean that Selänne has broken Bossy's record during his first and last season

Old
12-24-2011, 03:38 AM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
Wauuu ... good in Boston!!

Can there be a better way to win the Stanley Cup? Legendary Game 7 Every hockey player with a small son is probably at some point dreamed of a solution for the paint to do the seventh game, and that would raise the coveted trophy over his head.
Two-month-long "war" is finally over. Boston has great heroes. Major Congratulations Tuukka Rask for.
Vancouver is in turn just disappointed warriors. Sami Salo, the championship would be bestowed. Unfortunately, the other team is forced to dispose of. But there's been a pleasure to watch this year playoffseja, huikeeta seen a lot of hockey. Both teams can be proud of their actions. But it does not warm up right now Vancouver, Canada is going through a mourning period of time.

But the better team won. All four wins were by far and the destruction of the match in three Bruins still had a chance of winning. Tim Thomas was light years better than Roberto Luongo, Zdeno Chara giant overthrew the Swedish twins Sedinin completely in the dark. Boston was simply better in every aspect of the area. And what disappeared Kesler and Burrows? Team's best players have to be the best. Boston has had this, Vancouver can not. It was resolved this year's Stanley Cup.
Not gonna lie this is pretty great. Terrible translation, but Teemu is funny and brutally honest

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:21 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Not gonna lie this is pretty great. Terrible translation, but Teemu is funny and brutally honest
Where is this from?

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 02:07 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Where is this from?
It was in Selänne's blog.