HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#34|Dec. 23, 2011|Flyers at Rangers |7:00 p.m. ET

Old
12-23-2011, 10:35 PM
kimmofan44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Come on now. He's a rookie fourth liner here to be physical. Do you really expect him to play tons of minutes and score goals or something? What exactly do you want out of him?
completely agreed. and the scoresheet would show that he leads the team in hits per minutes played.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Are yo saying that a goalie of his caliber is expected to win every game he plays regardles of the team in front of him?
I don't expect him to steal every game, but damn, I'd love to see him steal a big one. And stop giving up 1-2 bad goals a game.

12-23-2011, 10:38 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't expect him to steal every game, but damn, I'd love to see him steal a big one. And stop giving up 1-2 bad goals a game.
No argument here.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:43 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i don't know if its 1 or 2 a game beef, but its often enough that it certainly feels like it. i still think he will right his crazy universe space ship and make us all happy when we see that tiger helmet in between the pipes. btw did you see boston beat the panthers 8 to nothing tonight??? holy crap! boston is a buzzsaw right now!

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
i don't know if its 1 or 2 a game beef, but its often enough that it certainly feels like it. i still think he will right his crazy universe space ship and make us all happy when we see that tiger helmet in between the pipes. btw did you see boston beat the panthers 8 to nothing tonight??? holy crap! boston is a buzzsaw right now!
Holy ****! it was 7-0 last I saw.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:54 PM
JVR21
G

Ilya Bryzgalov.... I don't even know what to say. Pretty much, he's no better than Bob.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:56 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Goal # 3 is totally on defence, the forward always has an upper hand on the break awaye. Does not he?
Goaltender's have the upper hand in shootouts for sure, and probably breakaways, too. Regardless, Bryz can't stop a beach ball on a 1v1.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:00 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Goaltender's have the upper hand in shootouts for sure, and probably breakaways, too. Regardless, Bryz can't stop a beach ball on a 1v1.
Unless you have played goalie at the pro or semi-pro level, your statement is unfounded.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:00 AM
Devastate

Quote:
I can tell you from personal experience that that's not really the case. Its about 50/50 depending on the shooter's patience

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:56 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that that's not really the case. Its about 50/50 depending on the shooter's patience
Considering a good shootout player would have like a 40% success rate, this sounds incorrect.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Madik77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Considering a good shootout player would have like a 40% success rate, this sounds incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
OK, from October till now:

Total number of SO attemps = 415
Number of goals scored = 145
Which gives you app. 35% scoring chance this year for the shooter.

Madik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Was this the one that was already wide and hit the net? After our first goal?
He shot his pad out and deflected it it wide.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madik77 View Post
OK, from October till now:

Total number of SO attemps = 415
Number of goals scored = 145
Which gives you app. 35% scoring chance this year for the shooter.
Thats not the entire scenario though. Players miss the net, lose control of the puck ect.

A goaltender is at a disadvantage because he must react to the players movements. It's very rare that a goaltender forces a players hand, and when it happens it's generally the players fault.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:24 PM
TheLegendkiller

I like Matt Read but he needs to start standing up for himself. Del Zotto took like 2 runs at him in addition to that hip check. I think he really needs to get up next time and go right at these dudes instead of having Wayne Simmonds stick up for him.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:25 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Thats not the entire scenario though. Players miss the net, lose control of the puck ect.

A goaltender is at a disadvantage because he must react to the players movements. It's very rare that a goaltender forces a players hand, and when it happens it's generally the players fault.
Exactly. Much like goaltening stats in general...they are not black and white.

If you take the same Bryz and put him on Boston he will have nearly the same stats as Tim Thomas (Rask does). It's got nothing to do with the goaltender and everything to do with the solid defense played by Boston.

Put TT here, and I don't think his stats will be MUCH better, I do believe he is the better goaltender though. It's overwhelmingly a team game.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Yup, At the end of the day, the team needs to defend. We haven't done it all season. We need someone like Hall Gill on the backend so badly.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:49 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Exactly. Much like goaltening stats in general...they are not black and white.

If you take the same Bryz and put him on Boston he will have nearly the same stats as Tim Thomas (Rask does). It's got nothing to do with the goaltender and everything to do with the solid defense played by Boston.

Put TT here, and I don't think his stats will be MUCH better, I do believe he is the better goaltender though. It's overwhelmingly a team game.
I agree about goal tending stats......they can be horribly deceiving at times....I have seen games start off with two or 3 break away's, 3 on 1s etc in the first 5 minutes and a team is down 3 to nothing etc....Then the goalie gets yanked for giving up 3 goals on 5 shots and it looks terrible on paper....BUT, The devil is in the details.Pekka Rhinne has given up 8 goals in the last 3 or 4 periods i believe, and i think most would agree he is a fine goalie.

It is VERY tough to get in a good groove playing goal in Philly in my opinion, because our defense blocks or tries to block so many shots that our goalies do not get to get a good rhythm going to get their mo-jo on.....Having played goalie, i liked getting to make a few easy saves early on to loosen up the nerves. Just making a quick easy glove save from a shot from the point usually helped settle things down mentally and would get the confidence going.....I hated long periods of defense blocking shots, or getting a piece of shots deflecting them etc....It just seemed to kill the rhythm and overall confidence one needs to play well.....Having said that, these guys are Pros and are being paid well to deal with it, although all the $$$$$$$ in the world cannot buy CONFIDENCE.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 12-24-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: fixing quote box
SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:09 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:

I'm not following you there. If the player misses the net, that still means there wasn't a goal. Hence why the goalie has the upper hand: the player only scores 35% of the time.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I like Matt Read but he needs to start standing up for himself. Del Zotto took like 2 runs at him in addition to that hip check. I think he really needs to get up next time and go right at these dudes instead of having Wayne Simmonds stick up for him.
He looks like he's slowing down. He isn't tearing up the ice like he was earlier in the season. While expected, it's still unfortunate because he's been one of our best forwards this season. If he's hitting the wall our depth on offense is going to take a hard hit, especially if Briere is out for a while and if JVR is broken.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
I'm not following you there. If the player misses the net, that still means there wasn't a goal. Hence why the goalie has the upper hand: the player only scores 35% of the time.
I just explained in a post above.

Old
12-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Devastate

Quote:

That's more or less the point I was trying to make, just didn't articulate it as well

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:18 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Is anyone going to be afraid of Matt Read though? Is anyone going to actually not back down from him?

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:33 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Is anyone going to be afraid of Matt Read though? Is anyone going to actually not back down from him?
No just saying he should get up and knock somebody on their ass. You know like Bourdon will get mad and check somebody or drop the gloves, I just mean like stand up for yourself and not let people have free hits on you.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 03:27 AM
Madik77

Quote:

I understand your point but the fact is that goal is scored in 35% of SO attempts at the end no matter of circumstances...

In case of the goalie its about the movement and reaction. Exactly how you wrote how they forces shooters hands a and I think it's not rare. It's a skill. Someone has it, others not. Eg. our goalie in Czech league, he has really bad season but on SO he is beast. He is very quick, leave small spaces for the shooters and forces them to mistakes.

Madik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Oh look, if Bryz wasn't a bum this game would be tied.

On your profile picture Bryz actually resembles Stephen Baldwin in Slapshot 2.

Talk about bum... ;-)

Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote