HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Adjective (Young? top 10? 30 goals scorer?)

Old
12-24-2011, 08:22 AM
palindrom

vCash: 500
Adjective (Young? top 10? 30 goals scorer?)

we often use adjective for players without having any clear definition of the meaning of the adjective. How many time did you read a player is a ''80 points player'', then looking at his stats you realize he never ever had 80pts in a single season over a 7-10 years career ?

So what is the age limit for a player to be called young? People seem to use the number of Games played rather than actual age to qualify a player as young.

Josh Harding (27yo, 90gp+) is often called ''Young'', but Fleury (27yo, 380gp+) is a veteran?

The average NHL age is about 27.5yo. the Rookie average age is 21.

i suggest the limit should be 23yo.

25yo seem not young since some players are already UFA and its the age many player peak.

What is a player called a top 3 ?
a 2 to 3 best players

A top 5 ?

a 4 to 5 best player

a top 10 ?

a 6 to 10 best players.

a top 25?

a 21-25 best players.

You see the pattern!

The other problem i have with the ''Top'' adjective is its easier to do when we actually not do any ranking. When we can see 20 goalies being called top 10. Obviously some should be left out of the top 10!

I suggest instead to use the ''top'' adjective, we should do an actual ranking.

How could we definite a 80 points player (or 30 goal scorer or anything....)

If he did it once in his career ? (seem to be the standard around)
If its his career average?
average of his last 3 years?
Kesler have been called a ''80 points player''. Having a career peak of 75 points is enough to be called a 80 points scorer?

I suggest a average of the last 3 seasons adjusted by the age of a players should be about right. This way Kesler could be called a 30 goals scorer and 70 points players.

What do you think about it?

Last edited by palindrom: 12-24-2011 at 08:42 AM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote