HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Turris traded to Ottawa (confirmed)

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
However he does in Ottawa fact remains he wouldn't have done it in Phoenix, so you can't really look at how he's doing and saying here's what the Yotes lost.
It does matter actually because it's a reflection of the organization, it was the same thing with Peter Mueller and Wheeler to a lesser extent. This needs to get sorted out, I'd also say that Boeds would have more points on several other teams even if he's a better two-way player on Phx but making dump and chases and chipping the puck rather than using his speed to carry it in is wasted potential atm.

With Rundblad, I expect him to get the OEL/Summers treatment. Unforurtunately, he isn't as good defensively as OEL so I'd expect a longer AHL shift or very low TOI (I can't really comment on Summers since I never notice him and only saw a few games with him in it). One thing Rundblad does need though is a solid defensive dman to cover his butt like Cowen did in Ottawa and is currently doing for Karlsson to a lesser extent....Rundblad's struggles became a lot more clear after Cowen started playing with Karlsson instead of Rundblad. I'll be watching the game though anyways to see how he does, he's a pretty exciting prospect but he won't be given the reign to make risky moves and he can't recover quickly the way OEL does.

Old
12-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurMartin View Post
Rundblads ceiling is sky high but IMO he should have been playing in the AHL. No idea why the Sens never sent him down but it's obvious he needs time to adjust to the NA-game. You'll have to get used to the thought that Turris will most likely be better for Ottawa than Rundblad is for you guys this season. Just have to be patient. Seeing him play now is like seeing him in his first season in SEL..
It wasn't certain at first that they needed to, he played some good games but then slowly he was losing minutes, especially as Cowen started taking more minutes. He was at 14-15, then even with Gonchar and Kuba out he slipped down to 12 or lower.

He also said during training camp he wasn't sure what he'd do if he didn't make the Sens out of camp....which led people to believe he may have expressed a problem with the AHL.

Old
12-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post

With Rundblad, I expect him to get the OEL/Summers treatment. Unforurtunately, he isn't as good defensively as OEL so I'd expect a longer AHL shift or very low TOI (I can't really comment on Summers since I never notice him and only saw a few games with him in it). One thing Rundblad does need though is a solid defensive dman to cover his butt like Cowen did in Ottawa and is currently doing for Karlsson to a lesser extent....Rundblad's struggles became a lot more clear after Cowen started playing with Karlsson instead of Rundblad. I'll be watching the game though anyways to see how he does, he's a pretty exciting prospect but he won't be given the reign to make risky moves and he can't recover quickly the way OEL does.
Cowen has played primarily with Gonchar and then Karlsson. Now back with Gonchar now that Kuba and Gonchar are healthy. Karlsson back with usual partner, Kuba.

Rundblad played almost exclusively with Chris Phillips against 3rd and 4th lines.

Cowen covering up for Karlsson to the extent you make it seem would also be a misconception. Karlsson's probably covered for Cowen's pinches almost the same.

Old
12-21-2011, 06:12 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
It does matter actually because it's a reflection of the organization, it was the same thing with Peter Mueller and Wheeler to a lesser extent. This needs to get sorted out, I'd also say that Boeds would have more points on several other teams even if he's a better two-way player on Phx but making dump and chases and chipping the puck rather than using his speed to carry it in is wasted potential atm.
I don't think this is fair.

First of all, Boedker isn't dumping/chasing/chipping. He is using his speed to carry the puck in the zone, but he doesn't always know what to do with it when he gets there. Perhaps this is simply a matter of coaching as well, but to suggest the system itself is stifling his creativity is inaccurate.

As for Wheeler, he never played a game for the Coyotes organization, so it's hard to say the system did anything to him. Mueller actually did perform well in Phoenix, and then he gave up and played like dog ****.

That Turris also wanted to leave is worrisome, but I trust Maloney has learned from whatever mistakes he has made, and he was able to get a pretty nice return, so I'm ready to move on.

Old
12-21-2011, 06:21 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post

First of all, Boedker isn't dumping/chasing/chipping. He is using his speed to carry the puck in the zone, but he doesn't always know what to do with it when he gets there. Perhaps this is simply a matter of coaching as well, but to suggest the system itself is stifling his creativity is inaccurate.

As for Wheeler, he never played a game for the Coyotes organization, so it's hard to say the system did anything to him. Mueller actually did perform well in Phoenix, and then he gave up and played like dog ****.

That Turris also wanted to leave is worrisome, but I trust Maloney has learned from whatever mistakes he has made, and he was able to get a pretty nice return, so I'm ready to move on.
I think Boedker has been very effective this year. Offense is coming. I wish we had some talented players with speed to pair him with. I'm actually looking to see what Rundblad can do to help improve his offensive contribution. I see a lot of breakout passes in his future.

Old
12-21-2011, 07:02 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post

Agreed on all counts, Wheeler never even dressed for us and presumably wanted to be with a winner, which we were not at the time.

Mueller did well his first year, and some of that success may have had to do with a linemate like Doan. Teams will focus on the star, and a talent can come in and have a good season. I think that was more of an issue of Mueller coming in unprepared to get better, and Tippett could clearly see that.

Turris is kind of the enigma. People say he works hard, but then the info comes out that it was he and his agent who requested to sign an entry-level deal after freshman year at Wisconsin. So, is he a hard worker, or just someone who played management for fools? I think he is a hard worker when it is easy for him, b/c the results are obtained at less than a 100% effort. All he had to do at the draft was point to the goals in the BCHL, and people would somewhat disregard that it was against lower level competition.

Ultimately, though, we will find out soon enough what happens. If Turris winds up being as can't miss as said, Ottawa provides the system for him to get 25 goals each year. If he has less than those numbers, he'll get the underacheiver label everywhere cause teams will say he could only produce x amount of points in a system conducive to his style of play. For the Ottawa fans, just remember that Turris had an assist in the third game of his career in the final three games of the 07-08 season. 45 more points happened after that, so it is hard to say if he'll do the same thing again....

Old
12-21-2011, 08:30 PM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
It begins:

Turris: 1 Roondblad: 0

My money is that Turris gets to 100 before Rooney gets to 10.

What do you guys think?

1-1

Old
12-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Pitlick*

Hey guys!

My early assessment of the trade is that it's going to be one of those win-win deals, we trade surplus for a need, you add a long time PP partner for OEL.

Too bad Turris didn't fit in with Phoenix. Maybe he will fit in a lot better with our free-flowing offensive style. The funny thing was that he has obviously learned from Tippett, as he was very defensively responsible in game 1, making some nice plays in his own end. His talent is undeniable, he made a great play setting up the winning goal. He's going to get a chance with more minutes with good linemates and should prosper.

Rundblad was going to be traded from the Sens at some time: him and Karlsson both shoot right, he would never get on the #1 PP unit, as you know you need a D to shoot L and one to shoot R on the points or you're too easy to defend. I'm actually happy for DR as he's going to get a chance for long term #1 PP time in Phx he'd never get in Ottawa. The OEL-Rundblad 1st unit PP will be huge for you guys for years; they should complement each other real well. You could have a top 5 PP for years, which is huge. DR will take a few years, maybe some AHL time to learn to defend, but he will become competent at some point. Here's another factor: IMO Rundblad fits into a system team like Phoenix far more than a free-flowing team like Ottawa. Though he is an incredibly gifted dangler, he's not exactly a speedster, and his average speed doesn't matter as much in a controlled systems chess match that Phoenix plays, as it hinders him a little bit in the up and down the ice track meets the Sens like to play. His inexperienced defensive miscues can be minimized with the calming of a system more than in our crazy games.

I think both teams will really like the players they got in the long run.

Old
12-21-2011, 09:41 PM
SurMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
It wasn't certain at first that they needed to, he played some good games but then slowly he was losing minutes, especially as Cowen started taking more minutes. He was at 14-15, then even with Gonchar and Kuba out he slipped down to 12 or lower.
Not sure I agree, I thought he was pretty brutal in preseason. Got better when the season started and had a couple of games where he did very well but overall still too weak defensively and in some games way too many turnovers.
(Still, I was used to watching him dominate in the SEL so maybe I was too harsh.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
He also said during training camp he wasn't sure what he'd do if he didn't make the Sens out of camp....which led people to believe he may have expressed a problem with the AHL.
Yes I remember that was some concern among sens-fans. I also remember that someone linked the actual interview where he just said that he doesn't want to think about it as he was focusing on taking a spot on the team. I also remember linking a quote of him saying to a local newspaper that he wouldn't go back to Sweden.
In an interview with local media after the trade he commented on his stay in Ottawa:
Quote:
"-Still think it has gone above my expectations. I had expected to be sent down to the farm league but still got to stay with the team."

Old
12-21-2011, 10:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post

Rundblad was going to be traded from the Sens at some time: him and Karlsson both shoot right, he would never get on the #1 PP unit, as you know you need a D to shoot L and one to shoot R on the points or you're too easy to defend. I'm actually happy for DR as he's going to get a chance for long term #1 PP time in Phx he'd never get in Ottawa. The OEL-Rundblad 1st unit PP will be huge for you guys for years; they should complement each other real well. You could have a top 5 PP for years, which is huge. DR will take a few years, maybe some AHL time to learn to defend, but he will become competent at some point. Here's another factor: IMO Rundblad fits into a system team like Phoenix far more than a free-flowing team like Ottawa. Though he is an incredibly gifted dangler, he's not exactly a speedster, and his average speed doesn't matter as much in a controlled systems chess match that Phoenix plays, as it hinders him a little bit in the up and down the ice track meets the Sens like to play. His inexperienced defensive miscues can be minimized with the calming of a system more than in our crazy games.

I think both teams will really like the players they got in the long run.
Plus Yandle and Gormley.

12-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurMartin View Post
Not sure I agree, I thought he was pretty brutal in preseason. Got better when the season started and had a couple of games where he did very well but overall still too weak defensively and in some games way too many turnovers.
(Still, I was used to watching him dominate in the SEL so maybe I was too harsh.)

:
He was very poor in the pre-season. Started off well for a couple games and then was inconsistent and overall trended downwards in play and minutes as the season went on.

Old
12-22-2011, 05:24 AM
hbk

The key move that allowed Phoenix to look at dealing for DR was that trade to get O'Reilly from Nashville. He is the "replacement" for Turris. He's starting to gel with the team as he is now fully recovered from the injury he had when we dealt for him. 3 points in last 4 games including 2 goals.

Old
12-22-2011, 08:53 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
The Leafs were never really in on Kyle Turris. Word is, Coyotes wanted Nazem Kadri as part of return. Toronto has high hopes for Kadri.
27 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Old
12-22-2011, 10:16 AM
ducky

It seems like GMDM was trying to pry another centre prospect in the trade (Zinbanejad, Kadri mentioned already). He ended up with an offensive dman and a pick.

Old
12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
The Leafs were never really in on Kyle Turris. Word is, Coyotes wanted Nazem Kadri as part of return. Toronto has high hopes for Kadri.
There's a quote from Brian Burke in the Behind the Moves book about players who whine about increased ice time. Essentially he says that players can call him anytime about anything BUT if they call to complain about ice time he will punch them in the face.

The minute I read that quote I knew Toronto would not pay a premium for Turris.

Old
12-22-2011, 02:56 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
The Tank thanks you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Ottawa probably didn't need to know that
Where is that avatar from last season that said "Don Maloney: TAKES ALL YOUR PLAYERS".

Old
12-22-2011, 04:20 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

i'm here because of that Dreger quote

how well was Turris playing this season before getting traded?

Old
12-22-2011, 04:21 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
i'm here because of that Dreger quote

how well was Turris playing this season before getting traded?
he looked good his first game then went a handful where you didn't really notice him. 0 points in 6 games. I had a huge rant on him after the 6th game in one of the Turris threads.

Here's my rant after Game 6
Turris was drafted to be an impact Center. He was. A 3rd overall pick is supposed to deliver consistent offense. Yes he was a project. Yes he had chicken legs and weighed a buck ten when he was drafted. Yes he was rushed. That being said at some point the excuses need to stop and we need to be given a reason for believing. We need to see some level of imagination of offensive creativity that says that this player is going to take us to the next level. I think Turris has been handed opportunity after opportunity with the Coyotes. I'm getting to the point where I'm tired of it. I'm tired of waiting. I'm tired of defending a player who really has in large part just disappointed and required management to seek other stop gap measures (Langkow) to give him more time. I'm tired of it. He's a Center. He's supposed to produce offensive chances, give consistent effort, and force management to give him more and more minutes. His response this year to essentially screw over his career and stunt his development on his own to force a trade was irresponsible and selfish. By missing training camp and the start of the season we are now having to deal with him as he gets into game shape. More f'ing waiting.... I'm just sick of it. I'm glad he was sat last night. I hope he takes the wake up call and starts to show something more positive than the brief glimpses we've had. We don't need the small micro steps of improvement we've been given. We need a huge f'ing stride forward. Enough is enough. It's put up or shut up time. I'm nearing the end of my patience level with this kid. I'm nearing the point where I think the draft pick (or picks) will be better than waiting on Turris. Remember... potential is just another word for hasn't done it and may never do it. Turris hasn't done it.

Old
12-22-2011, 04:36 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
he looked good his first game then went a handful where you didn't really notice him. 0 points in 6 games. I had a huge rant on him after the 6th game in one of the Turris threads.

Here's my rant after Game 6
Turris was drafted to be an impact Center. He was. A 3rd overall pick is supposed to deliver consistent offense. Yes he was a project. Yes he had chicken legs and weighed a buck ten when he was drafted. Yes he was rushed. That being said at some point the excuses need to stop and we need to be given a reason for believing. We need to see some level of imagination of offensive creativity that says that this player is going to take us to the next level. I think Turris has been handed opportunity after opportunity with the Coyotes. I'm getting to the point where I'm tired of it. I'm tired of waiting. I'm tired of defending a player who really has in large part just disappointed and required management to seek other stop gap measures (Langkow) to give him more time. I'm tired of it. He's a Center. He's supposed to produce offensive chances, give consistent effort, and force management to give him more and more minutes. His response this year to essentially screw over his career and stunt his development on his own to force a trade was irresponsible and selfish. By missing training camp and the start of the season we are now having to deal with him as he gets into game shape. More f'ing waiting.... I'm just sick of it. I'm glad he was sat last night. I hope he takes the wake up call and starts to show something more positive than the brief glimpses we've had. We don't need the small micro steps of improvement we've been given. We need a huge f'ing stride forward. Enough is enough. It's put up or shut up time. I'm nearing the end of my patience level with this kid. I'm nearing the point where I think the draft pick (or picks) will be better than waiting on Turris. Remember... potential is just another word for hasn't done it and may never do it. Turris hasn't done it.
oh wow. good thing Burke & Co. knew better.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:06 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Well two game winning assists by the little weasel

Old
12-22-2011, 11:11 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
Well two game winning assists by the little weasel
lol. nice bank shot off of the d man's skate. sometimes you need to be lucky to be good.

Old
12-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

******** now has 3 points in 3 games.

Old
12-24-2011, 08:28 AM
87turbobuick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
And board favorite Boedker has 11 in 35.

Old
12-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87turbobuick View Post
And board favorite Boedker has 11 in 35.
5 goals to 0 kinda wins right now if you wanted to go there.. anyways..

Last 2 seasons:

Turris 74gp 11-18-29 +1
Boedker 69gp 9-16-25 +8

Its as anyone knows.. Turris had a great opportunity here and didnt take it.

Old
12-24-2011, 11:24 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Yeah, ticks me off. He has not done anything stellar to get said points, but it does shed light on our challenged skill level.

Closed Thread