HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Gainey now with the team

Old
12-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
Please no god no.gif

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
Actually, he's 65. But, I agree he's too old. He did well with the Habs early by building that late 80s team & even in building that '93 team, but boy he was a disaster after that. His first round picks were pretty much all busts except Koivu and Cassels. I really don't want to go back to those days. People complain about our 1st rd picks now? lol

Let's see in the last 12 years we've drafted Higgins, Komisarek, Price, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn, McDonagh, & Hainsey, who have all gone on to be solid NHLers. We've had one true bust Fisher. And two other players Chipchura & Perezhogin who have played in the NHL but aren't FT NHLers.

I can remember a long string with Savard where the draft picks were all Chipchuras or Fishers. They were either out right busts, or AHL players: Terry Ryan, Brad Brown, David Wilkie, Brent Bilodeau, Lindsay Vallis, Eric Charron, Mark Pederson, & Jose Charbonneau. Brutal just brutal. They were absolutely in love with big tough western boys back then. The only one that succeeded was Turner Stevenson.

When they went outside that as in Saku Koivu and Andrew Cassels they did all right. Habs built that 93 team from that 87 draft. Cassels, Leclair, Desjardins & Schneider were our 1st four picks. Not one of them was drafted from the WHL. We even drafted Ed Ronan in the 11th round that year too.

Savard was also part of the worst trades in Habs history. Chelios for Savard. Leclair AND Desjardins for Recchi. Wow. Just wow.

Savard hasn't been involved in the game in a long time. I hope this rumour isn't true. We need new blood.
The Denis Savard and Dr. Recchi trades make the Gomez trade look like genius. Serge Savard is far too removed to be anything more than the club president right now.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Maliki2

Pierre McGuire, un bon candidat '' - Scotty Bowman

On m'a demandé récemment si Pierre McGuire serait un bon candidat
si jamais il y avait d'autres départs chez le Canadien. Ma réponse est oui.

Je connais Pierre depuis plusieurs années et on semble oublier qu'il a
passé plus de 10 ans avec des équipes comme Hartford, Ottawa et Pittsburgh.

http://tricolore.ca/chfans/showthrea...447#post851447

Best English translation....

''Peter McGuire, a good candidate''- Scotty Bowman

I was asked recently if Pierre McGuire would be a good candidate
if ever there were other departures from the Canadian. My answer is yes.

I have known Peter for many years and we seem to forget it
spent over 10 years with teams like Hartford, Ottawa and Pittsburgh.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:36 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

I'm shocked and I don't like it. But if Scotty says it...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:40 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post

Oh Peter McGuire of course he is much more calm than his wild brother Pierre

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Oh Peter McGuire of course he is much more calm than his wild brother Pierre
That was a copy and paste from the Google Translation lol

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:46 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
What is with referring to former Hab greats as "The ****ing guy..."?

Whatever happened to politeness and respect for our elders?

???
The "****ing" is from frustration not disrespect. I've never seen that poster purposely attack anyone so I'm shocked you'd assume it was a personal insult to savard. We're just in a generation where swear words are used casually. Don't get overexcited. I too say things like that but don't really mean it. It's a matter of context.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Top Corner2

Pierre & Geoff Molson know each other well...

But would Mcguire want the job? His broadcast career is taking off and it much easier to be the one taking the pot shots than the guy who is accountable.

Remember Pierre thought picking Carey Price was crazy when Gilbert Brule was still on the board...

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
The "****ing" is from frustration not disrespect. I've never seen that poster purposely attack anyone so I'm shocked you'd assume it was a personal insult to savard. We're just in a generation where swear words are used casually. Don't get overexcited. I too say things like that but don't really mean it. It's a matter of context.
Exactly. Thank you.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:14 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post

But would Mcguire want the job? His broadcast career is taking off and it much easier to be the one taking the pot shots than the guy who is accountable.

Remember Pierre thought picking Carey Price was crazy when Gilbert Brule was still on the board...
Pierre and Geoff Molson are best friends...

And I was skeptical as to whether he would accept the job, but apparently on 990 they asked him and he said "if you are handed the keys to the greatest franchise in the world, you cannot say no".

Pierre did say the Price pick was a little strange, but not because Price is a bad player. At the time we had Theodore and Halak in between the pipes...We had no centres, and he had said we should draft either Brule or Kopitar, or Marc Staal. Brule was a really good player but it was injuries that ruined his career...Hard to predict those.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:

Mcguire changes his mind way too often. He went from hating the Price pick to being a Price fanboy to bashing the Halak deal back to being a Price fanboy...

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:20 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
Mcguire changes his mind way too often. He went from hating the Price pick to being a Price fanboy to bashing the Halak deal back to being a Price fanboy...
That's not true.

He bashed the Halak trade because he said we didn't get enough for him, not because he thought Halak was better than Price.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Pierre Mcguire would be my choice as the next gm. He would be perfect for rebulding us because he knows every player and every prospect!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:56 PM
beh3moth

I'd support pierre mcguire, we'd ideally have a good farm system under him seeing his knowledge and relationship with the WJC.

beh3moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Et le But

Doesn't he hate Eller though?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

And I was skeptical as to whether he would accept the job, but apparently on 990 they asked him and he said "if you are handed the keys to the greatest franchise in the world, you cannot say no".

Pierre did say the Price pick was a little strange, but not because Price is a bad player. At the time we had Theodore and Halak in between the pipes...We had no centres, and he had said we should draft either Brule or Kopitar, or Marc Staal. Brule was a really good player but it was injuries that ruined his career...Hard to predict those.

Look you can sugar coat it all you want, but Mcguire has changed his mind and bashed the Canadiens over moves that have worked out very well.

It's not to say he won't be a good GM if he becomes GM, it's part of the business. He gets paid to catch people's attention and be opinionated. The media will always change their views on things because they need to say what will get the most reaction.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Doesn't he hate Eller though?
He thought we should have gotten a more proven player when we traded Halak for Eller. He didn't think Eller would amount to much....

Old
12-24-2011, 01:56 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
He thought we should have gotten a more proven player when we traded Halak for Eller. He didn't think Eller would amount to much....
Not like we had the capspace to do so and not like any team actually gives up proven top 6 players for goalies much less unproven ones in the longterm. Did anyone really think we were realistically getting Giroux for Halak. One thing I tought PG should have done is try to add a swap of 1rst instead of Schultz to the deal, especially if he already knew trading up was a possibility. Then we probably could have kept our 2nd.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:01 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post

He wouldn't throw his pet under the bus.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:09 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:

When Melnick asked Pierre if he would be interested in being the habs GM even with his broadcasting career taking off Mcguire said something like "If you are ever handed the keys to the greatest franchise in hockey, I don't think you can say no"

TheBuriedHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

Being the owner's friend doesn't mean they want to make you the GM. Guys like Geoff Molson didn't get where they are by hiring all their friends in key positions. McGuire has no experience in player personnel and his track record as a braodcaster is as a blowhard taht uses terms to try and make himself look smart. If he is hired as GM I will instantly start cheering for another team.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The Denis Savard and Dr. Recchi trades make the Gomez trade look like genius. Serge Savard is far too removed to be anything more than the club president right now.
I agree about Chelios for Savard being a bad trade but the Recchi trade didn't look that bad back then. Sure we ended up getting the short end of the stick but people tend to forget that Recchi was coming off 123 and 107pts seasons and was a bonafide superstar in the league. Desjardins was a very solid defensemen and LeClair was showing signs of blossoming but not many people could have predicted that he would become a 50 goals scoring machine like he did in Philly.

In retrospective we lost that trade but it sure wasn't one of the worst of all time back then.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:48 PM
baldrick

great,the guy that put the team in this place

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:05 PM
habtastic

Pierre "Peter" Mcguire is far too mercurial, way too hopped up on Cheetah Power Surge (no caffeine, and that's no bs, unlike the guy we sponsor), too impulsive and is just not the kind of presence we need at the helm of the Habs. Yes he knows all the ins and out of the NHL, the word on the beat, the projections, the gossip, etc. I think this influences him too much and he's prone to making rash judgements, akin to some you would find on reactionary message boards. I cannot stand listening to him commentate for the same reason he would make a terrible GM - he tries to reinforce his views that are based on thin pieces of evidence, common sense and he makes them facts. He sees what he wants to see. We would definitely see lots of moves with him. He would be very active, but I think he would bring down the organization to a whole new low.

I honestly do not harbour the ill-feelings towards Gainey and Gauthier that most do. While things are bad, we lament about how we were never built to be a contender, etc. I disagree. There has been an amazing amount of underachievement and with the emergence of young stars (FTR I think AK gets way too much of a bad rap and is probably the biggest asset we can't afford to lose. He isn't as off-on as he is painted. He's definitely no worse than his teammates), there is all the reason in the world to think we have a great foundation. They just plain suck right now. If they played even to what their career norms were, we would be set. If we didn't have injuries like we do, the domino effect wouldn't happen. Injuries happen to everyone, right? Not as much as us and given we are in a period of transition to prop up our young guys (no more Halpern and Moore), there is obviously going to be a temporary lack of depth, but one that will fix itself within a year or two.

I'm fine with the Markov signing. Bad things happen. In the long run, he's another Price to us. Nokelainen was a great pickup. I don't think Kaberle is that bad tbh. When the entire team is working as a unit, he won't be forced into those situations. He was brought in to help the scorers. Well, the scorers look like Higgins on his way out. Not much he can do there. Campoli...fine I will agree WTF, but if he was used sparingly when Markov was back, I can understand it.

Gill is just plain slow and not capable of keeping up, but again, just like the rest of the team. Let's not forget that for the past two seasons he's been MORE than what we expected. For him to be about as poor as the rest of the D in his last year is acceptable. He helped PK a lot (and PK will rise again).

Gainey and Gauthier kept Price and got Eller our of Halak. They did a lot of other great stuff too, but even just for that, I'm thankful. I don't think they set us back. Put yourself in Gainey's shoes at the end of that miserable season. He did very well for what he could. Remember, it wasn't easy to get FAs to come here. They used us as a bargaining tool. It's gonna get a LOT harder.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
And that's what I want in my GM, one that is very aggressive. The Blues called about Halak, not the other way around. You really want him pay up! I love Eller but agree that we could have gotten more in return or a better player

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote