HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

What are they building next to the arena? (Music City Convention Center)

Old
12-23-2011, 08:45 PM
zellthemedic

vCash: 500
What are they building next to the arena? (Music City Convention Center)

Been wondering for months now...

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:59 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

New convention center.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://nashvillemusiccitycenter.com/

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:47 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

A new, 75000 seat megarena, which we will sell out EVERY NIGHT!

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
The building that will bring the NHL All-Star Game and many other very high-profile events to Bridgestone Arena...

Cogen and Henry have already mentioned the NHL All-Star Game, more NCAA basketball tournament action, the Frozen Four (NCAA Hockey), and many other events that will be made possible due to the new convention center space and hotel rooms associated with it.

Additionally, this past summer at the Skate of the Union it was mentioned that that side of the arena will be transformed into the new main entrance upon completion of the convention center - essentially creating a much bigger plaza area outside that Sean Henry did wonders with while in Tampa and will likely see things on a much larger scale than we currently do with the existing plaza...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The building that will bring the NHL All-Star Game and many other very high-profile events to Bridgestone Arena...

Cogen and Henry have already mentioned the NHL All-Star Game, more NCAA basketball tournament action, the Frozen Four (NCAA Hockey), and many other events that will be made possible due to the new convention center space and hotel rooms associated with it.

Additionally, this past summer at the Skate of the Union it was mentioned that that side of the arena will be transformed into the new main entrance upon completion of the convention center - essentially creating a much bigger plaza area outside that Sean Henry did wonders with while in Tampa and will likely see things on a much larger scale than we currently do with the existing plaza...
Not complaining, but when I heard that this summer I kept thinking that the much better arrangement was to keep the building setup as is since there is so much energy and activity on any given night in that direction with the existing buildings and businesses. To flip it the other way seems much more artificial and "dead" when they'll be focusing on a convention center that has a very different flow of people and atmosphere. Seems counter intuitive to me.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Not complaining, but when I heard that this summer I kept thinking that the much better arrangement was to keep the building setup as is since there is so much energy and activity on any given night in that direction with the existing buildings and businesses. To flip it the other way seems much more artificial and "dead" when they'll be focusing on a convention center that has a very different flow of people and atmosphere. Seems counter intuitive to me.
I agree, but am waiting to see how they do it...

I think part of the Nashville Predators game experience is in fact walking in off Broadway with all the lights and life going on out there and exiting onto Broadway with all the energy right there to be had.

I'm assuming that they will leave the current entrance to the arena open, but will be making the other side of the building more enticing to some to enter over there. IMO, it's another open canvas for Cogen, Henry, and ownership to use to continue to make Bridgestone Arena one of the top facilities in North America and that's what excites me the most...

Anyone else ever notice that every time you step into the arena it seems that there are more Predators logos and gold around the building? I do! I LOVE IT! You can no longer walk into Bridgestone Arena for any event and not know who the primary tenants of the building are. While the arena was nameless (between GEC and Sommet) Pete Weber used to refer to the building as a number of things, but the one that I liked the best and believe they are growing into was "The HOP" - meaning The Home of the Predators.

Exciting times ahead...

Old
12-24-2011, 12:47 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
1.2 million square feet.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
1.2 million square feet.
The footprint of the building is MASSIVE!!! I remember when I first got back to Nashville last year I was trying to drive somewhere downtown and just came to this massive construction site that was a hole in the ground...it just kept going and going and going some more. Finally got around it, but was simply amazed at the scope of the site.

Old
12-24-2011, 02:36 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The new convention center should help Nashville get an ASG. That would be awesome. Possibly a Super Bowl (they're doing one in Jersey so why not here?)

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Legionnaire11

no Super Bowl... LP isn't big enough.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Fo Shea Shea

I don't think LP's size is the issue. The fact that its open air is the biggest problem. Now with the extra hotels that can't be used as an excuse. For goodness sake, Jacksonville got a SB. We are better equiped than they are.

Fo Shea Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 07:50 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Shea Shea View Post
I don't think LP's size is the issue. The fact that its open air is the biggest problem. Now with the extra hotels that can't be used as an excuse. For goodness sake, Jacksonville got a SB. We are better equiped than they are.
Meadowlands is open air, and in New Jersey. I don't see why that would be an issue. LP does hold about 11,000 fewer people than Meadowlands, though. Of course, Lucas Oil Stadium has this year's Super Bowl, and it holds fewer people than LP Field.

Correction: Lucas Oil Stadium can apparently be expanded to hold about 70,000. LP Field can hold close to that. I'm not sure the difference is big enough to matter much, but it could be.

Old
12-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Legionnaire11

70k is indeed the requirement

Old
12-24-2011, 09:24 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I was not aware of a strict capacity requirement. Not that I don't believe you, but to satisfy my own curiosity do you have a source?

Old
12-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Found this in a florida times article ...

Requirements to host Super Bowl

Stadium seating capacity: 70,000 seats.

Hotel rooms: 25,000 within an hour's drive.

Weather: Average high temperature in early February must be at least 50 degrees or the stadium must have a dome.

Space: Enough to hold a media center and the NFL Experience theme park.

Staffing: Three times above the level for a normal sellout crowd.

Power: Provide power at no cost to the NFL, television networks and other media.

Advertising: Give the NFL the ability to cover existing stadium advertising during the game and replace it with its own advertising.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 10:47 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Interesting.

Well, we can still hold out hope for an ASG

Old
12-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Fo Shea Shea

LP holds 67+ at capacity. It's been said that they can add up to 5k extra seats to bring the stadium up over 70k if the need was there.

Meadowlands is getting a Super Bowl because they spent $1 billion on that stadium. I hope it comes a blizzard on game day. If it were just a seating issue, FedEx field holds 90+ and would get it every year.

It will never happen anywho.

I'll keep my digits crossed for an all-star game.

Last edited by Fo Shea Shea: 12-24-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old
12-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Interesting.

Well, we can still hold out hope for an ASG
The NHL has all but signed a deal to host the ASG in Nashville. They are waiting upon a solid confirmation date for the convention center, but it will be ours within a year or two of the building being finished.

Nashville has always come out in droves to support the NHL when they bring us an opportunity to show off our city. From the BoG visit to Nashville Arena during the expansion process to the 2003 NHL Entry Draft to the unfortunately necessary Save the Team rally, to our electric atmosphere in the playoffs last year on national TV, etc. You know that when we get our ASG, it will be another memorable experience...

Old
12-25-2011, 12:15 AM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Well since I've never been to an ASG, when we do get one what're the odds of getting in ticket wise?

I have no clue how they do it or how fast they typically disappear.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Fo Shea Shea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohniusMaximus View Post
Well since I've never been to an ASG, when we do get one what're the odds of getting in ticket wise?

Here is how it went a few years ago in Atlanta.....

Corporate sponsors got first allotment,
then teams/players allotment,
then season ticket holders starting from full to partial,
then extra ticket requests from players,
then general public get what is left.

The only thing left for general public in Atlanta was a few returns from the teams. I had a friend who worked in the Thrashers ticket office.

Old
12-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Seth Lake

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, with Bridgestone as our title sponsor of the arena... I GUARANTEE we will have an ASG once the convention center is complete. Remember, Bridgestone is the title sponsor of the Winter Classic and other NHL events...

Old
12-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Shea Shea View Post
Meadowlands is getting a Super Bowl because they spent $1 billion on that stadium.
Yeah, it seems that the NFL is willing to bend the rules if owners/city is willing to build a shiny new stadium to show off. LP falls WAAAAYYYY short in that area as well.

I love the stadium, but it's obvious that it will be outdated far sooner than the arena. They cut a lot of frills and future potential out of the stadium to get it built, and obviously the Titans ownership does not have the vision/interest in improving the stadium the way that the Preds owners have with the arena.

Old
12-25-2011, 11:48 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohniusMaximus View Post

You and I will be there. I doesn't matter how. That's all that matters... we will be there

Old
12-25-2011, 11:51 AM
pekkaslap

They're making almost $30 million in improvements to LP for next season.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote