HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Isles | Leafs win 5-3

Old
12-24-2011, 12:47 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Agreed on Boyce, but in his 2 games he's been pretty good IMO and he should keep it up. I think putting Lombardi on the 4th line is kind of counter-productive. His creativity/speed/defensive play is better suited to a top-9 role.
Lombardi won't come back bringing his A game right away, so ... only thing that matters is the cap.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:59 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Lombardi won't come back bringing his A game right away, so ... only thing that matters is the cap.
I don't think he'll be able to do so 100% until he gets that dislocated shoulder fully taken care off, hoping it doesn't force him to undergo surgery in the off season.

12-24-2011, 01:05 PM
EazyB97

Makes sense to send Lombardi down on a conditioning stint. He hasn't played much hockey over the past year or two and it buys management some time to make a decision

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Interactif

The new 4th line looks better than any other incarnation the Leafs have had this year. If any line needs revamping it's the Grabo line, using meritocracy no way Boyce, Crabb or Steckel should be moved to the pressbox if they continue to play this way. I would be looking at Grabo and Kule right now.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Makes sense to send Lombardi down on a conditioning stint. He hasn't played much hockey over the past year or two and it buys management some time to make a decision
He'd undoubtedly be claimed off of waivers, no?

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:44 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
No waivers necessary for a conditioning stint, he goes down for 2 weeks, then comes back up once it's done.

Old
12-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
Ok, so I went there.

Anyone think lupul was a bit selfish on the open netter?

then it came to kessel and he wasn't selfish at all, gave lupes a tap in.
It seems selfish when you see Kessel streaking down the ice completely open but if you look at the play again, you'll see that Lupul was completely focused on going after the puck in the neutral zone, trying to get the puck deep into the Isles zone and hopefully scoring the empty net to seal the game off. He had his head down the entire time so it's extremely likely that he never saw Kessel break the other way and follow him up the ice. By the time Lupul looks up, it's when he took the shot into the Isles zone and then he saw Kessel move up the ice to get the puck and followed him in for support. The look on Lupul's face after the goal gave me the impression that he was both impressed and appreciative of Kessel's hustle on that play.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:57 PM
leafsfuture

Conditioning sting means he counts for a roster spot. Someone would have to get send down regardless

leafsfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:59 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
I say trade him for the best pick they could get even if it's for a 7th round pick. The cap space and roster spot to keep both Kadri and Frattin up with the team is worth more than Lombardi IMO.

Decisions need to be made. Aullie should be a full time player in the NHL and Franson should be playing more than he has espescially on the PP something needs to happen on D as well. There's no room for reclamation projects Lombardi is the 1st guy I'm trading just on this on it's own.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Interactif

Again the 3rd line or 2nd line for some, the Grabo line is the current weak link of this team. Team's going to have to adress this. If you are not scoring then you have to contribute something to the table. ie. physical play.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:01 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Conditioning sting means he counts for a roster spot. Someone would have to get send down regardless
Not from what I can find, I think they stay on LTIR until the conditioning stint is over. It's basically a try-out for the person to see if they're ready to come off LTIR or not

Old
12-24-2011, 03:18 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
Ok, so I went there.

Anyone think lupul was a bit selfish on the open netter?

then it came to kessel and he wasn't selfish at all, gave lupes a tap in.
Meh. Ive seen more then enough guys over the past 6 years of non-playoff teams passing it off too many times in an attempt to get someone else a goal to be upset over that. We have two genuine goal scorers on this team now and its refreshing to see.

Bury the chances when you get them. When we're a lock for the playoffs, then we can start getting cute and padding stats.

EDIT - Wasnt it Gardiner or Frattin a week or so ago who made a silly pass when he had a wide open net?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Sergei Berezin

I feel as if Lombardi will start on the fourth line until he proves he's ready to play a key role on the team.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
I feel as if Lombardi will start on the fourth line until he proves he's ready to play a key role on the team.
this seems like the most logical move. if he plays lights out i'd consider moving him into kuli's spot and either put him in the pressbox for a few games or demote him to the 4th line temporarily. even rotating guys like crabb and boyce on the 4th line would work for me.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:33 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Not from what I can find, I think they stay on LTIR until the conditioning stint is over. It's basically a try-out for the person to see if they're ready to come off LTIR or not
Ok, didnt realize that. I just remember from the Brayden Schenn and Gustavsson conditioning stints that they stayed on the 23 man roster

leafsfuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 03:43 PM
whitera

gardiner is my favorite leaf now! hes a beast.

whitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Again the 3rd line or 2nd line for some, the Grabo line is the current weak link of this team. Team's going to have to adress this. If you are not scoring then you have to contribute something to the table. ie. physical play.
The grabovski line, even while playing subpar, have been playing like a very good third line. Personally I have no problem with them. I do, however, have a problem with Lombardi/Armstrong/Dupuis coming back, because I feel they have had more of a negative impact on our team. I think right now we are icing our best team.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:14 PM
ECanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
I can't wait til they start going in for Frattin. That guy is playing like a legit powerforward. I wish Kulemin would play like him. ****ing Kulemin....

Frattin is going to be a machine next year
Yeah, it's surprising how strong he is on his skates.

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:19 PM
ECanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzer View Post
Agreed. I was disappointed with Kessel tonight. But, if you think back, he played a very subtle but effective defensive game. He was put out there late in the game. He created numerous scoring chances. Came out with 1 point from the EN goal. I, too, feel like he could have had more.

Are we getting spoiled?!?!?
Yes, we are getting spoiled. I love the effort from Kessel on the defensive side too. He seems a lot more passionate out there.

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:29 PM
BonMorrison
Soco Amaretto Lime

The fact that Grabo and Kulie are on the third line and not even playing that badly, just playing disappointingly is indicative of how much depth we have now. Don't change a thing, once Grabo and Kulie stop playing like a very good third line and start playing like the second line we all hope they'd be, we're gonna be one dangerous team.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Sergei Berezin

If we could somehow get all three lines going...

I just want a nice winning streak... it seems as if they only happen when things are too far out of reach.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
If we could somehow get all three lines going...

I just want a nice winning streak... it seems as if they only happen when things are too far out of reach.
Lets hope we have our annual second half of the season push. Granted, we haven't had as many points in the bank in past years, but I hope the team finds another gear and starts cruising like they did last year.

Our depth is considerably better this time around so I don't see why it's not possible. When you're trying to find guys like Lombardi a spot in the lineup, you know you're doing alright. Last year I think we had Boyce, Crabb, Orr and Brent on the team as everyday players.

Last edited by Everlong: 12-25-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Going into the Xmas break, we're looking at a 67.7% chance of playoffs this year. Which is a great outlook.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...t/Toronto.html

Hopefully we can keep the ball rolling and see some post season for the first time since the lockout (No Boston please...).

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

I don't know that Lombardi would be claimed on waivers...that salary is a lot. Then again, he's been quite good when healthy.

But if you make it re-entry he gets claimed for sure imo.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECanuck View Post
Yeah, it's surprising how strong he is on his skates.
Have you guys noticed that every time someone takes a run at frattin, they themselves get flattened.

Frattin is an absolute truck. I hope he finds his offensive touch. He could be a very good power forward.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote