HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How Different Are Grafs?

Old
12-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I wouldn't do that...could weaken the outsole.

I forgot that I did need a few eyelets replaced. Haven't had any fall off in months though.

I recently got a shock doctor bag with dryer (again) to dry my stuff after games since my basement is so dry. Works great for the skates.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
RJ8812*

graf's are narrow too

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

703's are narrow, the rest of them have different fits.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:56 PM
esuhock22

I've worn my 535's two times already and the first thing I noticed was they didn't really need to be broken in. I also noticed a lot more ankle mobility compared to other skates I have used. So far in the short stint I've had with them I like them.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
I've worn my 535's two times already and the first thing I noticed was they didn't really need to be broken in. I also noticed a lot more ankle mobility compared to other skates I have used. So far in the short stint I've had with them I like them.
That's the first time I've ever heard someone use those words to describe Grafs!

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:40 PM
frito

As many have pointed out Graf have a skate to fit just about any style foot, narrow, regular, wide and three dimensional fits as well. Yes all major brands can be baked; however, Graf one ups all of them. You can also have a custom made footbed so that it is an exact fit of your arch. Loot for a dealer who also sells Sidas footbeds. Here's a video from the Sharks website on the process. http://video.sharks.nhl.com/videocen...nsole?id=62417 Make sure you go to a very qualified and reputable dealer who will spend the necessary time with you when you buy your skates. A good dealer should look at all aspects of your foot before suggesting a skate. They should also patiently work with you as you try on multiple skates. Finally, they should do any necessary trim work to these footbeds after they make them for you.

My two daughters and I each bought a pair of Grafs this past fall and had custom footbeds made for us. They are great. It is a lot different skating feel but I am getting used to it. They do allow for much more agility than the CCM Tack 1052 I used previously.

Again, MAKE SURE YOU FIND A REPUTABLE DEALER. We drove five hours from Cincinnati, OH to Howell, MI (40 mile NW of Detroit) to find a dealer who spent a ton of time fitting us. They were also the closest dealer who had the Sidas footbed machine. If you live in the region, it's Perfect Edge Hockey and Lacrosse.

Finally, here’s an interesting article Graf entitled “Building a Better Skate” http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...aspx?e=3338110

So yes, Grafs are very unique. They, like many, bake their skates but they are the only to actually customize the footbed.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:14 AM
esuhock22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
That's the first time I've ever heard someone use those words to describe Grafs!
Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself. Alumni tournament starts tonight so I pumped to play some games in them. Also, I'll have to look more into this customized footbed.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself. Alumni tournament starts tonight so I pumped to play some games in them. Also, I'll have to look more into this customized footbed.
I did the Superfeet custom footbeds on my CCMs but I just went with the standard Sidas footbed in my 703s without any customizing. They're fine. I wouldn't worry about the footbed if the skate fits you well. Nice to have, but not a big difference. I actually prefer my standard footbeds.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:09 AM
Doughnuts08

I just picked up some 705's after skating in CCM's for 8+ years. Definitely a different feel, but I like it. More ankle mobility, and I felt my pivoting on my edges was alot quicker. Didn't really feel like I was more pitched forward compared to the CCM's like I thought I would. The biggest difference I think for me was the fit. They were super snug, and my heel was completely locked in. I have a narrow foot, and even though my CCM's were a C/AA the Grafs feel like a much better fit. The custom SIDAS footbeds felt pretty good for my arches as well.

Doughnuts08 is offline   Reply With Quote