HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Wilson needs to be fired! 4 years of Failure.

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2011, 12:02 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Lost in 2nd rd is the prevailing theme, Out of Playoffs in 02-03, lost in rd 1 in 99-00 and 00-01. His teams fail in playoff hockey far more than they succeed. Want his PK record also, I posted those stats also this week, they are shockingly bad.
You have a view and will not change your mind. Me too. But I've got a bit wider spectrum and method to how to judge a coach and analyse his accomplishments.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:05 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
It's more naive ignoring stats, but saying that I have watched almost every Leafs game played the last 4 years, when you apply stats and actually witnessing how this team plays, it's easy to form a judgement that Wilson while not a bad coach, he is very mediocre as his record indicates through 20+ years of coaching.
You are ignoring a very very large number of facts/variables which have tremendous influence on the stats.

Having a mediocre won/loss record does not in every case make you a mediocre coach.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Courage*

Quote:
The Bruins work hard, the majority of NHL teams work hard, this doesn't make one a good coach. Systems, special teams play, adapting on the fly to other teams are factors are just a few other factors that make a good coach.

Leafs are winning simply because there is more talent on this roster, not Wilson. He is coaching the same since year 1 here as in year 4, the players are the sole reason why this team is winning.
Boston has players. The majority of NHL teams have players....

Old
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
2002-2003 Out of playoffs (mid-season replacement)
2003-2004 Lost in conference final
2004-2005 Lockout
2005-2006 Lost in 2nd round
2006-2007 Lost in 2nd round
2007-2008 Lost in 2nd round

He never made it out of the 1st round?
OK... So they made it to the 2nd then got bounced. That team was supposed to win the CUP skating backwards. Therefore, he failed.

The rest of the post is relevant.

The players HATE RW. Get him out!

Old
Interactif

Quote:
You have a view and will not change your mind. Me too. But I've got a bit wider spectrum and method to how to judge a coach and analyse his accomplishments.
Evaluation is one thing, but we do agree on one thing that is the question that sparks all the passionate posts. Even the people I disagree with, you can tell they are passionate about this team. This is a good thing.

The one thing we do agree on was, Wilson should not be back next year.

But I have ammended that to if he can get us into the playoffs and we put up a good fight, then I can live with a 1 yr extension.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:08 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
OK... So they made it to the 2nd then got bounced. That team was supposed to win the CUP skating backwards. Therefore, he failed.

The rest of the post is relevant.

The players HATE RW. Get him out!
Speaking of failed, your post failed. And you got called out for it.

The players hate him? Another fail. an epic fail.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:08 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
As Ulf said on the other Wilson thread, all a coach is measured to is wins and losses. Not the opinion based argument whether his is a good developmental coach or that his players work hard for him. Stats/facts carry far more weight in the real world, whether this applies to hockey or life. The facts are Leafs have the worst PK 4 years running, a substandard defensive record/system and poor results. The Wilson apologists will cling to the developmental angle, this is a waste of time arguing. My favorite colour is blue, try arguing that. It's not possible, it's an opinion. Try arguing worst pk, missed the playoffs 3 years straight. It's concrete, it's fact.
Your post is 100% accurate.

Facts are facts!

Old
12-24-2011, 12:10 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsRReady View Post
What's the point in addressing your point when you chose to misstate mine.
So, you admit you never addressed my point, this is such progress dude!

Old
12-24-2011, 12:10 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
Speaking of failed, your post failed. And you got called out for it.

The players hate him? Another fail. an epic fail.
YES, the players HATE him! This has been well documented. Your faith in RW is an "epic fail" This guy is a terrible coach. Garbage.

Are you sure your not Ron? LOL

Old
12-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Interactif

Quote:
You are ignoring a very very large number of facts/variables which have tremendous influence on the stats.

Having a mediocre won/loss record does not in every case make you a mediocre coach.
The same can be said on both sides, arguing opinions whether he is a good developmental coach is useless. It can't be proven since players develop on their talent alone, minor league and junior league instruction. Look at the old Habs teams, great farm team, it would be foolhardy to say Scotty Bowman was the only reason why their young players developed so well. NHL coaches in general get far too much credit when people say coach x is a great developemental coach. It's thrown out there far too easily.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:12 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
OK... So they made it to the 2nd then got bounced. That team was supposed to win the CUP skating backwards.
Ya..... No they weren't, they were a contender with 3-4 other teams in the West. Seems to have stayed that way after his firing. No need to stretch the truth to try and make a point.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:13 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
YES, the players HATE him! This has been well documented. Your faith in RW is an "epic fail" This guy is a terrible coach. Garbage.

Your new name should be Faily McFailiginns.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
YES, the players HATE him! This has been well documented. Your faith in RW is an "epic fail" This guy is a terrible coach. He sucks!

If players hate him, why did they go to Burke after the season and say "don't fire coach"? You live in your own self constructed dream world

You suck at reality. Is there where you bring up that players poll last year? LOL.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
Your new name should be Faily McFailiginns.
Actually, Ron Wilson already has it.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:17 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
If players hate him, why did they go to Burke after the season and say "don't fire coach"? You live in your own self constructed dream world

You suck at reality. Is there where you bring up that players poll last year? LOL.
Look, all 3 of RW's fans are now on the HFB. LOL

Keep up the great work on the PK! Stellar job.

Anyway, gotta run, It is Christmas Eve.

Happy Holidays to you all. Cheers!

Old
12-24-2011, 12:18 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
The same can be said on both sides, arguing opinions whether he is a good developmental coach is useless. It can't be proven since players develop on their talent alone, minor league and junior league instruction. Look at the old Habs teams, great farm team, it would be foolhardy to say Scotty Bowman was the only reason why their young players developed so well. NHL coaches in general get far too much credit when people say coach x is a great developemental coach. It's thrown out there far too easily.
When a coach is hired by 4 different GM's in 4 different organizations, to coach 1 expansion team, and 3 rebuilding teams, I'd say it's a pretty good sign, the hockey experts think he is a good development coach.

There have also been sign after sign in the past 4 years that he has used techniques for development. People were screaming "what is he doing', I was pointing out his development strategy, and have been told for 4 years it is baseless and without merit.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
SteveV*

Quote:

PP from 22nd to 3rd in the league this year, must be coaching I guess!! Stellar job, stellar!!

Old
12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Actually, Ron Wilson already has it.
No, Ron Wilson's new name will be Jack Adams.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:21 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

Anyway, gotta run, It is Christmas Eve.

Happy Holidays to you all. Cheers!
stay away from the drug laced fruit flavoured beverage. You've had enough already.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Interactif

Quote:
When a coach is hired by 4 different GM's in 4 different organizations, to coach 1 expansion team, and 3 rebuilding teams, I'd say it's a pretty good sign, the hockey experts think he is a good development coach.

There have also been sign after sign in the past 4 years that he has used techniques for development. People were screaming "what is he doing', I was pointing out his development strategy, and have been told for 4 years it is baseless and without merit.
If this team can find a good developmental coach(subjective again) combined with winning results in the off season, then there is no reason to not try to sign him in the offseason. There will be firings to add to Carlyle's name, this we know. There is no need to extend Wilson now, if he gets into the playoffs, give him 1 more year if he wants it, no more than that.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:30 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I think we have to wait until the playoffs to really rate Wilson.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-24-2011, 12:30 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post

By stating that Ron Wilson should be extended, you are saying that he is the best option for the Leafs going forward. Really? No better options than a career .500 coach with little playoff success and no Stanley Cup wins as player or as a coach? So Ron Wilson knows what it takes to be a winner then? So the Leafs must not look any further as their coach is clearly the guy who will bring results?

A very interesting perspective indeed. I wonder if you would settle for this mediocrity at the goaltending level?
It is a very interesting perspective, however it is not mine.

I did not state that RW should be extended, and I don't believe he should be. I also don't believe he should be fired mid season for having the team pretty much where they were expected to be.

If you're interested, my perspective is that RW should finish the season (provided they are in a playoff hunt) and any further contract discussions should be held at that point. I don't think he'll be back next year unless they the win a round, in which case it may be hard to justify his dismissal.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Aplayaz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I think we have to wait until the playoffs to really rate Wilson.
yeee i'd probably agree yeah

Old
12-24-2011, 12:36 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
If this team can find a good developmental coach(subjective again) combined with winning results in the off season, then there is no reason to not try to sign him in the offseason. There will be firings to add to Carlyle's name, this we know. There is no need to extend Wilson now, if he gets into the playoffs, give him 1 more year if he wants it, no more than that.
Well, I'm not arguing that. There are very few coaches around who have on ice success and are good at developing players. When in rebuild mode, you get the best devlopment coach there is, because that is what is good for the long term. Screaming about losses during this period makes no sense to me. Having patience with a rebuilding teams means you allow the coach to do things which might hurt the standings a little bit today, but will be good for the player/team in the future.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:40 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:

The players hate him? which players would those be btw

Quote:

stop using logic you know there is no use for it around here nor will it dissuade a mind thats already made up not to mention deluded. If you keep it up you could somehow very well blow up the interwebs and then what, we'd have to go back to talking to each other face to face which would be a death nell for moronism or at least put back where it belongs

MYTHERS will always prevail on the intertainmentnet and this is of course why it is the intertainmentnet

Closed Thread