HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Wilson needs to be fired! 4 years of Failure.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2011, 12:02 PM
  #476
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Lost in 2nd rd is the prevailing theme, Out of Playoffs in 02-03, lost in rd 1 in 99-00 and 00-01. His teams fail in playoff hockey far more than they succeed. Want his PK record also, I posted those stats also this week, they are shockingly bad.
You have a view and will not change your mind. Me too. But I've got a bit wider spectrum and method to how to judge a coach and analyse his accomplishments.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:05 PM
  #477
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
It's more naive ignoring stats, but saying that I have watched almost every Leafs game played the last 4 years, when you apply stats and actually witnessing how this team plays, it's easy to form a judgement that Wilson while not a bad coach, he is very mediocre as his record indicates through 20+ years of coaching.
You are ignoring a very very large number of facts/variables which have tremendous influence on the stats.

Having a mediocre won/loss record does not in every case make you a mediocre coach.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:07 PM
  #478
Courage*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The Bruins work hard, the majority of NHL teams work hard, this doesn't make one a good coach. Systems, special teams play, adapting on the fly to other teams are factors are just a few other factors that make a good coach.

Leafs are winning simply because there is more talent on this roster, not Wilson. He is coaching the same since year 1 here as in year 4, the players are the sole reason why this team is winning.
Boston has players. The majority of NHL teams have players....

Courage* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:07 PM
  #479
T M L
Make Belief Captain
 
T M L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
2002-2003 Out of playoffs (mid-season replacement)
2003-2004 Lost in conference final
2004-2005 Lockout
2005-2006 Lost in 2nd round
2006-2007 Lost in 2nd round
2007-2008 Lost in 2nd round

He never made it out of the 1st round?
OK... So they made it to the 2nd then got bounced. That team was supposed to win the CUP skating backwards. Therefore, he failed.


The rest of the post is relevant.


The players HATE RW. Get him out!

T M L is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:07 PM
  #480
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
You have a view and will not change your mind. Me too. But I've got a bit wider spectrum and method to how to judge a coach and analyse his accomplishments.
Evaluation is one thing, but we do agree on one thing that is the question that sparks all the passionate posts. Even the people I disagree with, you can tell they are passionate about this team. This is a good thing.

The one thing we do agree on was, Wilson should not be back next year.

But I have ammended that to if he can get us into the playoffs and we put up a good fight, then I can live with a 1 yr extension.

Interactif is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:08 PM
  #481
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
OK... So they made it to the 2nd then got bounced. That team was supposed to win the CUP skating backwards. Therefore, he failed.


The rest of the post is relevant.


The players HATE RW. Get him out!
Speaking of failed, your post failed. And you got called out for it.

The players hate him? Another fail. an epic fail.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:08 PM
  #482
T M L
Make Belief Captain
 
T M L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
As Ulf said on the other Wilson thread, all a coach is measured to is wins and losses. Not the opinion based argument whether his is a good developmental coach or that his players work hard for him. Stats/facts carry far more weight in the real world, whether this applies to hockey or life. The facts are Leafs have the worst PK 4 years running, a substandard defensive record/system and poor results. The Wilson apologists will cling to the developmental angle, this is a waste of time arguing. My favorite colour is blue, try arguing that. It's not possible, it's an opinion. Try arguing worst pk, missed the playoffs 3 years straight. It's concrete, it's fact.
Your post is 100% accurate.


Facts are facts!

T M L is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:10 PM
  #483
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsRReady View Post
What's the point in addressing your point when you chose to misstate mine.
So, you admit you never addressed my point, this is such progress dude!

SteveV* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:10 PM
  #484
T M L
Make Belief Captain
 
T M L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Speaking of failed, your post failed. And you got called out for it.

The players hate him? Another fail. an epic fail.
YES, the players HATE him! This has been well documented. Your faith in RW is an "epic fail" This guy is a terrible coach. Garbage.


Are you sure your not Ron? LOL

T M L is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:11 PM
  #485
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
You are ignoring a very very large number of facts/variables which have tremendous influence on the stats.

Having a mediocre won/loss record does not in every case make you a mediocre coach.
The same can be said on both sides, arguing opinions whether he is a good developmental coach is useless. It can't be proven since players develop on their talent alone, minor league and junior league instruction. Look at the old Habs teams, great farm team, it would be foolhardy to say Scotty Bowman was the only reason why their young players developed so well. NHL coaches in general get far too much credit when people say coach x is a great developemental coach. It's thrown out there far too easily.

Interactif is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:12 PM
  #486
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
OK... So they made it to the 2nd then got bounced. That team was supposed to win the CUP skating backwards.
Ya..... No they weren't, they were a contender with 3-4 other teams in the West. Seems to have stayed that way after his firing. No need to stretch the truth to try and make a point.

EazyB97 is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:13 PM
  #487
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
YES, the players HATE him! This has been well documented. Your faith in RW is an "epic fail" This guy is a terrible coach. Garbage.


Are you sure your not Ron? LOL
Your new name should be Faily McFailiginns.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
  #488
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
YES, the players HATE him! This has been well documented. Your faith in RW is an "epic fail" This guy is a terrible coach. He sucks!


Are you sure your not Ron? LOL
If players hate him, why did they go to Burke after the season and say "don't fire coach"? You live in your own self constructed dream world

You suck at reality. Is there where you bring up that players poll last year? LOL.

SteveV* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
  #489
T M L
Make Belief Captain
 
T M L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Your new name should be Faily McFailiginns.
Actually, Ron Wilson already has it.

T M L is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:17 PM
  #490
T M L
Make Belief Captain
 
T M L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
If players hate him, why did they go to Burke after the season and say "don't fire coach"? You live in your own self constructed dream world

You suck at reality. Is there where you bring up that players poll last year? LOL.
Look, all 3 of RW's fans are now on the HFB. LOL

Keep up the great work on the PK! Stellar job.

Anyway, gotta run, It is Christmas Eve.


Happy Holidays to you all. Cheers!

T M L is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:18 PM
  #491
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The same can be said on both sides, arguing opinions whether he is a good developmental coach is useless. It can't be proven since players develop on their talent alone, minor league and junior league instruction. Look at the old Habs teams, great farm team, it would be foolhardy to say Scotty Bowman was the only reason why their young players developed so well. NHL coaches in general get far too much credit when people say coach x is a great developemental coach. It's thrown out there far too easily.
When a coach is hired by 4 different GM's in 4 different organizations, to coach 1 expansion team, and 3 rebuilding teams, I'd say it's a pretty good sign, the hockey experts think he is a good development coach.

There have also been sign after sign in the past 4 years that he has used techniques for development. People were screaming "what is he doing', I was pointing out his development strategy, and have been told for 4 years it is baseless and without merit.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
  #492
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Look, all 3 of RW's fans are now on the HFB. LOL

Keep up the great work on the PK! Stellar job.
PP from 22nd to 3rd in the league this year, must be coaching I guess!! Stellar job, stellar!!

SteveV* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
  #493
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Actually, Ron Wilson already has it.
No, Ron Wilson's new name will be Jack Adams.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:21 PM
  #494
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Look, all 3 of RW's fans are now on the HFB. LOL

Keep up the great work on the PK! Stellar job.

Anyway, gotta run, It is Christmas Eve.


Happy Holidays to you all. Cheers!
stay away from the drug laced fruit flavoured beverage. You've had enough already.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:25 PM
  #495
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
When a coach is hired by 4 different GM's in 4 different organizations, to coach 1 expansion team, and 3 rebuilding teams, I'd say it's a pretty good sign, the hockey experts think he is a good development coach.

There have also been sign after sign in the past 4 years that he has used techniques for development. People were screaming "what is he doing', I was pointing out his development strategy, and have been told for 4 years it is baseless and without merit.
If this team can find a good developmental coach(subjective again) combined with winning results in the off season, then there is no reason to not try to sign him in the offseason. There will be firings to add to Carlyle's name, this we know. There is no need to extend Wilson now, if he gets into the playoffs, give him 1 more year if he wants it, no more than that.

Interactif is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:30 PM
  #496
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,627
vCash: 500
I think we have to wait until the playoffs to really rate Wilson.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:30 PM
  #497
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post

By stating that Ron Wilson should be extended, you are saying that he is the best option for the Leafs going forward. Really? No better options than a career .500 coach with little playoff success and no Stanley Cup wins as player or as a coach? So Ron Wilson knows what it takes to be a winner then? So the Leafs must not look any further as their coach is clearly the guy who will bring results?

A very interesting perspective indeed. I wonder if you would settle for this mediocrity at the goaltending level?
It is a very interesting perspective, however it is not mine.

I did not state that RW should be extended, and I don't believe he should be. I also don't believe he should be fired mid season for having the team pretty much where they were expected to be.

If you're interested, my perspective is that RW should finish the season (provided they are in a playoff hunt) and any further contract discussions should be held at that point. I don't think he'll be back next year unless they the win a round, in which case it may be hard to justify his dismissal.

egd27 is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:32 PM
  #498
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I think we have to wait until the playoffs to really rate Wilson.
yeee i'd probably agree yeah

Aplayaz2000 is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:36 PM
  #499
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
If this team can find a good developmental coach(subjective again) combined with winning results in the off season, then there is no reason to not try to sign him in the offseason. There will be firings to add to Carlyle's name, this we know. There is no need to extend Wilson now, if he gets into the playoffs, give him 1 more year if he wants it, no more than that.
Well, I'm not arguing that. There are very few coaches around who have on ice success and are good at developing players. When in rebuild mode, you get the best devlopment coach there is, because that is what is good for the long term. Screaming about losses during this period makes no sense to me. Having patience with a rebuilding teams means you allow the coach to do things which might hurt the standings a little bit today, but will be good for the player/team in the future.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
12-24-2011, 12:40 PM
  #500
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
YES, the players HATE him! This has been well documented. Your faith in RW is an "epic fail" This guy is a terrible coach. Garbage.


Are you sure your not Ron? LOL
The players hate him? which players would those be btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
When a coach is hired by 4 different GM's in 4 different organizations, to coach 1 expansion team, and 3 rebuilding teams, I'd say it's a pretty good sign, the hockey experts think he is a good development coach.

There have also been sign after sign in the past 4 years that he has used techniques for development. People were screaming "what is he doing', I was pointing out his development strategy, and have been told for 4 years it is baseless and without merit.
stop using logic you know there is no use for it around here nor will it dissuade a mind thats already made up not to mention deluded. If you keep it up you could somehow very well blow up the interwebs and then what, we'd have to go back to talking to each other face to face which would be a death nell for moronism or at least put back where it belongs

MYTHERS will always prevail on the intertainmentnet and this is of course why it is the intertainmentnet

therealkoho is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.