HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, At What Point Is It Ok To Start Believing We Can Compete For The Cup This Year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2011, 12:33 PM
  #1
IAMREALITY
Registered User
 
IAMREALITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
So, At What Point Is It Ok To Start Believing We Can Compete For The Cup This Year?

Serious question. This team has proven a lot to us this year so far haven't they. They've exceeded our expectations and battled diversity like true warriors. Yes as a Rangers fan, there's always that cynicism of feeling like the slippery slope is only a footstep away.

Thing is, we just beat the 3 hardest teams for us to play against (regardless of standings) including a decisive win over Philly after playing the night before and 3 in 4 nights. We won all 3. I'm still giddy. But it took guts like you wouldn't believe.

But the biggest reason I'm beginning to believe we can make a serious run at the cup is because NOTHING seems to faze our rookies. These three games, and last night inparticular, were huge tests for our young guys. It kept being repeated last night that it felt like a playoff game. I think that falls short. It felt more like a game friggin 7. Yet our rookies and youth didn't falter a bit and made some amazing plays under pressure. They proved a lot to me last night.

But Jan 2nd is going to be the biggest test I've seen us have since we let Jersey come back in the 94 playoffs. The pressure, the need to win, the battle level, will be at all time highs at the winter classic. In my opinion, if we can play them in their turf as hard as we have the two games at home; if we can win that game; if our rookies and youth can handle that all like pros; then I think THAT will be the signal, the time, for us to really, truly believe that we can compete for the cup this year.

I'm falling in love with this team. I can't remember the last time we had this much depth, consistency, and LEADERSHIP.

Happy holidays to everyone, and may you all be safe and find good cheer. Eat some ham, some turkey but leave some room; for Monday night we all will be eating fishsticks :-)

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:34 PM
  #2
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,931
vCash: 500
I want to see how we handle Boston.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:34 PM
  #3
useref15
Registered User
 
useref15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 500
Funny username to be posting this.


In reality, not this year.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:36 PM
  #4
gluvhand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland County
Country: Greece
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
For me it's when/if they get to round 3 of the playoffs. I love what they're doing but being a fan as long as I have been I think it's my right to be a bit guarded. Having said that, once the "d" is totally healthy, I think they can compete.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:37 PM
  #5
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
It's ok to think that whenever you want. You wanna think that now then go right ahead. I personally will probably start to really really get excited if we are still in this position come game 65.

Some things have to continue or fall the way they have thus far.

Cally continues on this new plateau he's scoring on.
Richards and Gabby continue to play like this all year. Mayb a slight dropoff is OK
We also need Staal to come back and gets into normal shape.
Girardi, McD and MDZ continue their play.
Erixon steps in to solidify the 3rd pair (I thought he looked fantastic against philly)

Thats it thats all we need to contend. We can also look forward to
Sauer, Dubs, Wolski, at least 2 of em getting much better than what they've been whether due to injury or inconsistent play.
SOme sort of trade is possible as well.
MZA may get ready to contribute again.


Last edited by JimmyStart*: 12-24-2011 at 12:43 PM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:39 PM
  #6
IAMREALITY
Registered User
 
IAMREALITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
Funny username to be posting this.


In reality, not this year.
Ironic thing is that everything I posted was objective fact; whereas all you posted was based on silly emotion with absolutely nothing to back it up.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:48 PM
  #7
MorrisWanchuk
Registered User
 
MorrisWanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
i'm just hoping Glenn doesn't give up too much at the deadline to try and get that one piece to put us over the edge. I'm very resistant to that - I'd like to see how our excellent prospects gel with our existing pieces over the next 2 years

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:49 PM
  #8
Giglio NYR15
Section 417
 
Giglio NYR15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Oh no not this crap...dude wait till march. Anybody can compete for the division at christmas, I mean it was said the 08-09 team were in 1st at this break. Cmon Man.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:52 PM
  #9
gluvhand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland County
Country: Greece
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Oh no not this crap...dude wait till march. Anybody can compete for the division at christmas, I mean it was said the 08-09 team were in 1st at this break. Cmon Man.
People wanna talk about it. If you don't, don't.

Besides...coming from a guy with the sig "Cup Run Starts Now", a bit ironic, no?

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:54 PM
  #10
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,044
vCash: 500
For this board and Rangers fans in general?

Probably game 7, 3 minutes to go, we're up 4-1

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:54 PM
  #11
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,435
vCash: 1343
I was about to start a thread asking why can't we win the cup this year. I think it's possible we can do it.

__________________
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:54 PM
  #12
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Oh no not this crap...dude wait till march. Anybody can compete for the division at christmas, I mean it was said the 08-09 team were in 1st at this break. Cmon Man.
Except that team didn't have Marian Gaborik, Brad Richards (two guys better than anybody we had on that roster), this defense, and the improved versions of Callahan and Dubinsky.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:55 PM
  #13
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
i'm just hoping Glenn doesn't give up too much at the deadline to try and get that one piece to put us over the edge. I'm very resistant to that - I'd like to see how our excellent prospects gel with our existing pieces over the next 2 years
At this point, I'm actually not worried about that.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:56 PM
  #14
IAMREALITY
Registered User
 
IAMREALITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Oh no not this crap...dude wait till march. Anybody can compete for the division at christmas, I mean it was said the 08-09 team were in 1st at this break. Cmon Man.
Stop the knee jerk reaction. I said nothing about a division lead nor 1st place. Instead, I speak of character.

Most team's bases don't wait until March until they believe their team has what it takes to compete. In fact, I find the notion silly.

After what we've shown so far, throughout a ton of diversity, if we can win a game that will have as much or more pressure as any playoff game can, if our youth can stand tall through it, while in Philly, then why the heck should we have to wait till March to believe? What would give us reason not to believe?

You impulsively reacted yet you gave no logic to fortify it. Can you elaborate?

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:56 PM
  #15
cenas*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Except that team didn't have Marian Gaborik, Brad Richards (two guys better than anybody we had on that roster), this defense, and the improved versions of Callahan and Dubinsky.
And they had played more games that year than anybody and that year Pens and Flyers weren't in the top 4 with the Rangers in the east..

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:00 PM
  #16
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Serious question. This team has proven a lot to us this year so far haven't they. They've exceeded our expectations and battled diversity like true warriors. Yes as a Rangers fan, there's always that cynicism of feeling like the slippery slope is only a footstep away.

Thing is, we just beat the 3 hardest teams for us to play against (regardless of standings) including a decisive win over Philly after playing the night before and 3 in 4 nights. We won all 3. I'm still giddy. But it took guts like you wouldn't believe.

But the biggest reason I'm beginning to believe we can make a serious run at the cup is because NOTHING seems to faze our rookies. These three games, and last night inparticular, were huge tests for our young guys. It kept being repeated last night that it felt like a playoff game. I think that falls short. It felt more like a game friggin 7. Yet our rookies and youth didn't falter a bit and made some amazing plays under pressure. They proved a lot to me last night.

But Jan 2nd is going to be the biggest test I've seen us have since we let Jersey come back in the 94 playoffs. The pressure, the need to win, the battle level, will be at all time highs at the winter classic. In my opinion, if we can play them in their turf as hard as we have the two games at home; if we can win that game; if our rookies and youth can handle that all like pros; then I think THAT will be the signal, the time, for us to really, truly believe that we can compete for the cup this year.

I'm falling in love with this team. I can't remember the last time we had this much depth, consistency, and LEADERSHIP.

Happy holidays to everyone, and may you all be safe and find good cheer. Eat some ham, some turkey but leave some room; for Monday night we all will be eating fishsticks :-)
The team is completely buying in to what Tort's is preaching and they're playing as well as they possibly can right now. With all the injuries to key defensemen, I believe we are bound to hit a collective wall because certain guys are playing a lot more minutes than they are used to. I wouldn't get overly excited right now; like Torts said, "They don't hand out playoff spots or home ice on dec.23rd." Beating teams like the Flyer, Pens and Bruins(who we haven't e seen yet and who shellacked the Flyers 6-0 at their place last week) in a grueling best of seven playoff series is a hell of a lot different than beating them in regular season games. To answer your question, we are getting close but we are not nearly ready to handle the above three teams in the playoffs until we get another legit goal scorer with size(Ryan?) and our defense gets completely healthy.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:00 PM
  #17
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,531
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I want to see how we handle Boston.
I want to see how we handle Boston once we have a HEALTHY defense. When our defense is healthy I truly believe we can compete with any one in the league.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:02 PM
  #18
MorrisWanchuk
Registered User
 
MorrisWanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
At this point, I'm actually not worried about that.
not worried as in - it might be a good idea to do deals at the deadline ?

or not worried as in - you dont think Glenn will do much at the deadline ?

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:03 PM
  #19
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Oh no not this crap...dude wait till march. Anybody can compete for the division at christmas, I mean it was said the 08-09 team were in 1st at this break. Cmon Man.
As long as this discussion stays here, amongst "friends", I'm fine with it. Anywhere else and it comes of as braggadocio.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:05 PM
  #20
Giglio NYR15
Section 417
 
Giglio NYR15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Stop the knee jerk reaction. I said nothing about a division lead nor 1st place. Instead, I speak of character.

Most team's bases don't wait until March until they believe their team has what it takes to compete. In fact, I find the notion silly.

After what we've shown so far, throughout a ton of diversity, if we can win a game that will have as much or more pressure as any playoff game can, if our youth can stand tall through it, while in Philly, then why the heck should we have to wait till March to believe? What would give us reason not to believe?

You impulsively reacted yet you gave no logic to fortify it. Can you elaborate?
I didnt feel like elaborating because i was drinking egg nog and watching the jets while I typed, my apoligies. I didnt mean to just dump on your point and run away, no need to talk about impulsively reacting and no logic, what are you grading a college paper? All im saying is I dont want to expect too much now and then get let down. I initially picked this team to be a 4/5 team in the conference and said we definitely have a cup shot, I mean its about whose hot in the playoffs, with the hot goalie ofcourse. My point was, anybody can have a division lead at christmas, was that 08-09 team much less skilled and competitive, hell yea, I mean the 05-06 team had just as many points through the same amount of game, but they collpased at the end, once again not as good. I completely agree with you about the character and skill, but Im saying its a little early to start feeling so confident. When we can hang around the top with boston, pitt and philly for a span of 2 months into march, then I will say alright, lets go. We havent played boston yet, they are the best team in the nhl lately. Also, philly is a shell of what that team should be with injuries and such. That being said, if staal and sauer come back well, I definitely think that we should be considered a serious contender. I have all the faith in the world in this team, I love em more than anything, that being said Im so used to heartbreak that I just dont want to set myself up for a boatload of dissappointment, stretching out what we have done so far. I want to see it on a bigger scale.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:07 PM
  #21
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,531
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
The team is completely buying in to what Tort's is preaching and they're playing as well as they possibly can right now. With all the injuries to key defensemen, I believe we are bound to hit a collective wall because certain guys are playing a lot more minutes than they are used to. I wouldn't get overly excited right now; like Torts said, "They don't hand out playoff spots or home ice on dec.23rd." Beating teams like the Flyer, Pens and Bruins(who we haven't e seen yet and who shellacked the Flyers 6-0 at their place last week) in a grueling best of seven playoff series is a hell of a lot different than beating them in regular season games. To answer your question, we are getting close but we are not nearly ready to handle the above three teams in the playoffs until we get another legit goal scorer with size(Ryan?) and our defense gets completely healthy.
It must be a Christmas miracle because I actually agree with you. If I remember correctly we didn't do well against the Piles in 1993-1994 regular season but we swept them in the playoffs.

Playoff series are different from regular season play. Especially against a team like Boston who truly has it all. Scoring, defense and goaltending. I believe this team has what it takes when they are healthy. However if our defense stays as porous as it is right now I believe we could most likely make it past the first round but that would be all. If we go up against the Bruins in the playoffs we need to be completely healthy or we will get demolished.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:08 PM
  #22
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
For me it's when/if they get to round 3 of the playoffs. I love what they're doing but being a fan as long as I have been I think it's my right to be a bit guarded. Having said that, once the "d" is totally healthy, I think they can compete.
I'm a long time fan as well and I really believe they desperately need another legit goal scorer to go along with Gabby in order to compete.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:08 PM
  #23
IAMREALITY
Registered User
 
IAMREALITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
The team is completely buying in to what Tort's is preaching and they're playing as well as they possibly can right now. With all the injuries to key defensemen, I believe we are bound to hit a collective wall because certain guys are playing a lot more minutes than they are used to. I wouldn't get overly excited right now; like Torts said, "They don't hand out playoff spots or home ice on dec.23rd." Beating teams like the Flyer, Pens and Bruins(who we haven't e seen yet and who shellacked the Flyers 6-0 at their place last week) in a grueling best of seven playoff series is a hell of a lot different than beating them in regular season games. To answer your question, we are getting close but we are not nearly ready to handle the above three teams in the playoffs until we get another legit goal scorer with size(Ryan?) and our defense gets completely healthy.
First of all, no objective party would agree that we're playing as well as we possibly can right now. In fact, our ceiling is actually far higher.

We also are fans, not coaches. We don't need to toe the line with the "don't hand out playoff spots" meme. That's for them to say. As fans, we have every bit of freedom to speak as highly of our team and its potential as we want. Do I think our place in the standings means anything right now in December? Not really. I know our January and February slumps all too well. But it seems the more pressure we have the better we play.

You speak of playoffs, game 7's etc. I actually welcome it this year. No team is better conditioned than we are, and it is pretty commonly regarded throughout the league that we overall are the hardest working team. Combine that with the leagues top goal scorer and a defensive system that actually works, and I say December or not, January 2nd or not, that we have a team that has exceeded expectations and quite possibly has what it takes to go to war. Even if we slide, and slide hard, I think they've already proven what they CAN do, even when they can't. That will hold even truer if we win the biggest game in 17 years.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:09 PM
  #24
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,531
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Stop the knee jerk reaction. I said nothing about a division lead nor 1st place. Instead, I speak of character.

Most team's bases don't wait until March until they believe their team has what it takes to compete. In fact, I find the notion silly.

After what we've shown so far, throughout a ton of diversity, if we can win a game that will have as much or more pressure as any playoff game can, if our youth can stand tall through it, while in Philly, then why the heck should we have to wait till March to believe? What would give us reason not to believe?

You impulsively reacted yet you gave no logic to fortify it. Can you elaborate?
In no way shape or for am I trying to be a dick because for the most part I do agree with you but, the proper word there is ADVERSITY.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:10 PM
  #25
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,066
vCash: 500
They need a healthy defense and I still think they need another top 6 forward.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.